Is Megaman REALLY Capcom's mascot?

#1 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

Or is it really Ryu?

#2 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Megaman was, but yeah with all the fighting game and crossover stuff Ryu is at the forefront.

Megaman will probably get his spot back after the new Smash Bros comes out and Capcom starts making Megaman stuff again.

#3 Posted by Cybrilious4 (1766 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Megaman has been shited on these last 6 years.

#4 Edited by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

Ryu is. Megaman's not even in MvC3

#5 Posted by Perethorn (3393 posts) - - Show Bio

Nintendo cares more about Megaman that Capcom does.

#6 Edited by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20233 posts) - - Show Bio

He should be but they neglect him too much.

@awesam said:

Have to agree with this. Ryu is probably their mascot now.

#7 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (24716 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

#8 Edited by Cybrilious4 (1766 posts) - - Show Bio

Vegeta's more popular than Ryu.

#9 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Megaman has been shited on these last 6 years.

Its sad to say both of these are true statements :(

#10 Posted by frogdog (3246 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't worry Megaman Fans. Capcom are just waiting to give him gritty westen reboot

Cries insides

#11 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@frogdog: oh, you mean Mega Man X?

And I didn't hear Street Fighter fans b17ching during the wait from 3 and 4.

#12 Posted by MrDirector786 (43550 posts) - - Show Bio

Megaman was, but yeah with all the fighting game and crossover stuff Ryu is at the forefront.

Megaman will probably get his spot back after the new Smash Bros comes out and Capcom starts making Megaman stuff again.

I hope he gets his spot back. Capcom "celebrated" his 25th anniversary with this.

#13 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdirector786: Seeing things like that makes me think Dr. Wily is running Capcom nowadays. Would explain a lot when you think about it.

#15 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

Coulda sworn it was Pacman

#16 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Coulda sworn it was Pacman

They haven't bought out Namco.........yet.

#17 Posted by frogdog (3246 posts) - - Show Bio

@frogdog: oh, you mean Mega Man X?

Nah I was talking about this

#18 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@frogdog:

Ryu and other fighters were still appearing in crossovers and it's not like there were any Street Fighter games being cancelled.
Megaman fans are just have an understandable worry that Capcom will simply kill off the franchise for petty reasons.

#19 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite: they ate up those godawful rpgs. They should have been complaining then.

#20 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1730 posts) - - Show Bio

Megaman is still Capcom's mascot to me. *CRIES DEEPLY* Can we please get a new Megaman game or game collection? Is a game collection too much to ask for? *CRIES EVEN MORE DEEPLY*

#21 Posted by Bawlsz (31 posts) - - Show Bio

Megaman has been sh*ted on by Capcom for a while now.

But if you are a fan of the Megaman series, Keiji Inafune (ex-Capcom, Megaman creator) is working on a spiritual successor called Mighty No. 9. It is on Kick-starter and has been fully funded.

#22 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

You know I never understood why Capcom seems to have such a hard time handling Megaman, he's such a great and simple concept that the games practically make themselves without getting stale and the fact that they can re-imagine him for newer generations without fan backlash should just serves as incentive to make new innovative games. How exactly do you screw something like that up?

#23 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10751 posts) - - Show Bio

Capcom only cares for what sells DLC, so they know Ryu is a better DLC selller.

Since the new SF, ultra mala leche combo wombo combo totottally supah nevers say never hope the hoppers street fighter 4 turbo remix x z demoniacn wombo combo vs tekken

#24 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Ryu

#25 Posted by Vance Astro (91220 posts) - - Show Bio

Megaman IS really their mascot. He's their Mario, their Spider-Man, their Tony the Tiger etc.

#26 Posted by jhazzroucher (15744 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Megaman X

#27 Edited by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: X has never been close to being their mascot. He's a Megaman spin off.
Heck, Zero has appeared in more games than him IIRC.

#28 Edited by War Killer (20189 posts) - - Show Bio

@perethorn said:

I honestly forget Mega Man is a Capcom character at times; I always think he belongs to Nintendo...

#29 Edited by Vance Astro (91220 posts) - - Show Bio

You know I never understood why Capcom seems to have such a hard time handling Megaman, he's such a great and simple concept that the games practically make themselves without getting stale and the fact that they can re-imagine him for newer generations without fan backlash should just serves as incentive to make new innovative games. How exactly do you screw something like that up?

Because they don't know how to make Megaman games in 3D. Every Megaman X after X6 was garbage. This is the same issue they had with Street Fighter a while back. Street Fighter III 3rd Strike was the newest Street Fighter game for over 10 years, once they figured out how to make a decent fighter for the new era they have been making fighting games non-stop every since.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.