Spoiler!!! You have been warned!

#1 Posted by daak1212 (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P Cable 

#2 Posted by jonasLighter (91 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard about that yesterday,  but now I have a pic.

#3 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Cable completely embodied the 90s as an icon that DC even went as far as to make their own homage in Magog for the landmark Kingdom Come series. 

But whereas a lot of products of the 90s were doomed to stay there or be so radically reimagined so as to be unrecognizable compared to their 90s incarnation, Cable matured past it while still remaining- at his core- the same character. 

On paper, Cable is a ridiculous amalgam of things trying so hard to be cool- a grizzled soldier, gun-toting and lethal force enabled, a leader, from the future (thus foreknowledge), with future tech including a sentient ship / teleportation / time-travel, a mysterious mercenary past, a messianic origin, superhero-royalty genetics and family dynamics, a cyborg and all that entails [later a terminal disease ridden person with all the angst that entails], a mutant with [later] god-like levels of TK/TP, a mentor and father figure, a son and a rebel, and not content to have one evil twin also possessing a god-like good doppleganger of sorts...- but you know what, it ultimately mostly came together and was cool especially for its era.  In a period when comics were adolescent power fantasy and slightly edgier- for example, every mutant was discovering new instantly lethal applications for their powers like manipulating the flow of blood to the brain- Cable had all the powers, all the edge, and just enough ambiguity and mystery that he had that Man With No Name quality.  When all we wanted was to be the biggest and baddest and most- secretly- powerful mutant, Cable was our guy. 

Then when we grew older and the comics needed to get back to character, story, development, etc... Cable's story grew richer by tying him in with X-Men Royalty- the son of Cyclops and Jean [genetically and raised by her- long story].  That increased his relevance, exposed his character and motivations, and brilliantly added a vulnerability and fragility to what would have otherwise been an overpowered mess in the new storytelling age.  Now he was a scarred failed messiah suffering from a crippling disease.  Superheroes had gone through the grim and gritty in an adolescent fashion, but now they were getting deconstructed in a more mature fashion and Cable was right there along them, being confronted on his purpose in the face of death, a certain future, etc.  Cable was used as a philosophical mouthpiece for both a powerless soldier and an omnipotent demigod's view of utopia.  When comics finished pontificating and just got back to slightly grown up action stories, Cable again met the tenor without missing a beat with Deadpool as a perfect comedic foil.  The readers now recognized the triviality of their hobby with respect to superheroes and just wanted familiar and comfortable fun / action able to take a 4th Wall rib in jest. 

Cable's still been plugged in right up until now but certainly his relevance has floundered a bit.  He still seems to measure the pulse- right when the readers ached for Captain America, Cable had a story to answer that- but the tenor and quality of that pulse is less clear now.  With Cable dying, it definitely feels like an end of an era with things winding down.  Undoubtedly he, Nightcrawler, etc. will be back someday in some form, but one can't help but feel that Marvel's stretching the drum of continuity to the point that something needs to happen (how many times has Xavier died and come back?!; how compromised can Cyclops get before he can never be the idealistic Cyclops we knew?).  They've come to this realization with the Ultimate universe but just can't bring themselves to pull the same daring trigger that DC did with Infinite Crisis decades ago (and it seems that DC, themselves, despite a bunch of Crisis events can't bring themselves to do it now either- rather, half-measures like OYL or Rebirth... you realize for Hal we've gone from his Secret Origin to his Armageddon in less than 10 years!).  I wonder how many years current continuity has left before a substantive reboot? 

Of course, I'm probably giving mainstream superhero comics way too much credit.  The audience is [less than it used to be, but still] largely disposable... people grow into and out of comics.  Creators and the audience cycle.  So no matter how ridiculous or untenable in terms of one continuous view of the timeline or story some twist may be... time forgives [even if it doesn't forget] and stuff happens without any real regard for the long term implications either way. 

And isn't that just what Cable is a great example of?  A character once drawn exclusively by Liefield, riddled with tiny pouches and inconceivable guns has lasted 20 years to become a credible emotional lynchpin for the key character of an X-Men arc... imagine that.

#4 Posted by daak1212 (7901 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mainline said:
"Cable completely embodied the 90s as an icon that DC even went as far as to make their own homage in Magog for the landmark Kingdom Come series.  But whereas a lot of products of the 90s were doomed to stay there or be so radically reimagined so as to be unrecognizable compared to their 90s incarnation, Cable matured past it while still remaining- at his core- the same character.  On paper, Cable is a ridiculous amalgam of things trying so hard to be cool- a grizzled soldier, gun-toting and lethal force enabled, a leader, from the future (thus foreknowledge), with future tech including a sentient ship / teleportation / time-travel, a mysterious mercenary past, a messianic origin, superhero-royalty genetics and family dynamics, a cyborg and all that entails [later a terminal disease ridden person with all the angst that entails], a mutant with [later] god-like levels of TK/TP, a mentor and father figure, a son and a rebel, and not content to have one evil twin also possessing a god-like good doppleganger of sorts...- but you know what, it ultimately mostly came together and was cool especially for its era.  In a period when comics were adolescent power fantasy and slightly edgier- for example, every mutant was discovering new instantly lethal applications for their powers like manipulating the flow of blood to the brain- Cable had all the powers, all the edge, and just enough ambiguity and mystery that he had that Man With No Name quality.  When all we wanted was to be the biggest and baddest and most- secretly- powerful mutant, Cable was our guy.  Then when we grew older and the comics needed to get back to character, story, development, etc... Cable's story grew richer by tying him in with X-Men Royalty- the son of Cyclops and Jean [genetically and raised by her- long story].  That increased his relevance, exposed his character and motivations, and brilliantly added a vulnerability and fragility to what would have otherwise been an overpowered mess in the new storytelling age.  Now he was a scarred failed messiah suffering from a crippling disease.  Superheroes had gone through the grim and gritty in an adolescent fashion, but now they were getting deconstructed in a more mature fashion and Cable was right there along them, being confronted on his purpose in the face of death, a certain future, etc.  Cable was used as a philosophical mouthpiece for both a powerless soldier and an omnipotent demigod's view of utopia.  When comics finished pontificating and just got back to slightly grown up action stories, Cable again met the tenor without missing a beat with Deadpool as a perfect comedic foil.  The readers now recognized the triviality of their hobby with respect to superheroes and just wanted familiar and comfortable fun / action able to take a 4th Wall rib in jest.  Cable's still been plugged in right up until now but certainly his relevance has floundered a bit.  He still seems to measure the pulse- right when the readers ached for Captain America, Cable had a story to answer that- but the tenor and quality of that pulse is less clear now.  With Cable dying, it definitely feels like an end of an era with things winding down.  Undoubtedly he, Nightcrawler, etc. will be back someday in some form, but one can't help but feel that Marvel's stretching the drum of continuity to the point that something needs to happen (how many times has Xavier died and come back?!; how compromised can Cyclops get before he can never be the idealistic Cyclops we knew?).  They've come to this realization with the Ultimate universe but just can't bring themselves to pull the same daring trigger that DC did with Infinite Crisis decades ago (and it seems that DC, themselves, despite a bunch of Crisis events can't bring themselves to do it now either- rather, half-measures like OYL or Rebirth... you realize for Hal we've gone from his Secret Origin to his Armageddon in less than 10 years!).  I wonder how many years current continuity has left before a substantive reboot?  Of course, I'm probably giving mainstream superhero comics way too much credit.  The audience is [less than it used to be, but still] largely disposable... people grow into and out of comics.  Creators and the audience cycle.  So no matter how ridiculous or untenable in terms of one continuous view of the timeline or story some twist may be... time forgives [even if it doesn't forget] and stuff happens without any real regard for the long term implications either way.   And isn't that just what Cable is a great example of?  A character once drawn exclusively by Liefield, riddled with tiny pouches and inconceivable guns has lasted 20 years to become a credible emotional lynchpin for the key character of an X-Men arc... imagine that. "

Bravo, I can tell that Cable is your favortie character
#5 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mainline said:

"Cable completely embodied the 90s as an icon that DC even went as far as to make their own homage in Magog for the landmark Kingdom Come series."

Homage? 

You do realize of course that the exact words Mark Waid used to describe what he wanted Magog to look like were "everything we hate in modern hero design." 

Then Alex Ross drew him to look almost exactly like Cable. 

That said, I agree that Cable has become much more than he started as.  He really didn't need Bishop to randomly turn evil to be a major character, though.
#6 Posted by Jake Fury (18661 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP Nathan Summers.
#7 Posted by Edamame (28160 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Edited by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@jonasLighter:

Check this for a full preview :D
#9 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:
I think his body couldn't handle the strain of keeping the time portal open for the X-Force to pass. Not sure though.
#10 Edited by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:

" @Mainline said:

"Cable completely embodied the 90s as an icon that DC even went as far as to make their own homage in Magog for the landmark Kingdom Come series."

Homage?  You do realize of course that the exact words Mark Waid used to describe what he wanted Magog to look like were "everything we hate in modern hero design."  Then Alex Ross drew him to look almost exactly like Cable.  

How does that not track?  They wanted something that completely embodied the 90s (or what Waid then called "modern hero design") and there was no icon better to pay tribute to that (re:homage) than Cable.  It didn't matter that the use was derisive, what mattered was that in trying to pick the symbol of the times- even as a critique- they used Cable. 

It's seen just as clearly whenever one wants to parody a paragon of virtue or comment on omnipotence, the first one they turn to as source material for their own variant is Superman.  The prototype for the dark avenger is always Batman even if jest like with Darkwing Duck.  And the ultimate standard by which all superhero families get compared is the Fantastic Four.  It doesn't matter if they're deconstructing, hailing, parodying, or reinforcing the underlying source material... what matters is that they're so symbolic of the thing to be used, so iconic, that they are the ones selected.  Cable's in that company for an entire period and style of comics and so strongly that even the rival company recognized it right away.
#11 Posted by Edamame (28160 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:
" @Edamame: I think his body couldn't handle the strain of keeping the time portal open for the X-Force to pass. Not sure though. "
Oh.
#12 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

@daak1212 said:

"
R.I.P Cable 

"

Hope.. Caring that arm around.. Is a little... Creepy
#13 Posted by Edamame (28160 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:
" @Edamame: I think his body couldn't handle the strain of keeping the time portal open for the X-Force to pass. Not sure though. "

#14 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:
Not yet.
#15 Posted by Edamame (28160 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24: Well, I did put the spoiler warning.
#16 Edited by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame said:

" @ComicMan24: Well, I did put the spoiler warning. "

I don't mind it.
#17 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of saw this coming with the cancellation of his series

#18 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Edited by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

One question though, can't he re-assemble himself now that he gave in to techno-organic virus?

#20 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24: The common misconception is that the techno-organic virus is the same as Warlock's transmode virus.  It isn't.  The transmode virus can infect & change lifeforms into techno-organic beings like Warlock, which can then be drained of all energy.  The techno-organic virus was created specifically to kill by removing & replacing all organic matter.  
#21 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @ComicMan24: The common misconception is that the techno-organic virus is the same as Warlock's transmode virus.  It isn't.  The transmode virus can infect & change lifeforms into techno-organic beings like Warlock, which can then be drained of all energy.  The techno-organic virus was created specifically to kill by removing & replacing all organic matter.   "
Oh, ok. Thanks.
#22 Posted by grimm (525 posts) - - Show Bio

I never liked Cable. I mean I haven't read that much about him. I have only seen him in the recent X books and in old Cable and Deadpool. But in Cable and Deadpool he just annoyed me. When I heard someone died I was really more worried it was one of the main X-Men.

#23 Posted by Edamame (28160 posts) - - Show Bio

Apocalypse must be really happy to hear these news.

#24 Posted by mistersarcastic (324 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, so I read about how he died...and now I'm wondering (because Marvel's known for bringing back characters out the @$$) how the heck is he gonna come back from something like that? Only thing I can think of his him possibly being rebuilt as an Android...or Cyborg rather since nothing organic of him has been left. I wonder the same about Ares after that Superman on crack (Sentry) ripped him in half. 

And poor Hope just looked so sad and pitiful...well maybe just sad. Wonder if Logan will be as upset about Cable's death as he was Kurts. >.< Gah, so much is happening! The X-Men Universe is going to hell in a picnic basket! -flails-

#25 Posted by IronSpidy-Rooney (356 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame: He blew up after X-Force came through the portal 
He just smiled at hope after the portal disapeared and blew up 
really wanted him to live
#26 Posted by Edamame (28160 posts) - - Show Bio
@IronSpidy-Rooney said:
" @Edamame: He blew up after X-Force came through the portal He just smiled at hope after the portal disapeared and blew up really wanted him to live "
Why did he blow up though? Was there internal pressure?
#27 Posted by IronSpidy-Rooney (356 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:   
 The only reason must be that it is how the virus kills you 
sorry bout pic size
#28 Posted by Edamame (28160 posts) - - Show Bio
@IronSpidy-Rooney: LOL. I already saw the picture, but I never knew that Apocalypse had this in mind for Cable or if the TO virus would make mutants explode when fully taken over.
#29 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mainline said:
"@Zoom said:

" @Mainline said:

Homage?  You do realize of course that the exact words Mark Waid used to describe what he wanted Magog to look like were "everything we hate in modern hero design."  Then Alex Ross drew him to look almost exactly like Cable.  

How does that not track?  They wanted something that completely embodied the 90s (or what Waid then called "modern hero design") and there was no icon better to pay tribute to that (re:homage) than Cable.  It didn't matter that the use was derisive, what mattered was that in trying to pick the symbol of the times- even as a critique- they used Cable. 

It's seen just as clearly whenever one wants to parody a paragon of virtue or comment on omnipotence, the first one they turn to as source material for their own variant is Superman.  The prototype for the dark avenger is always Batman even if jest like with Darkwing Duck.  And the ultimate standard by which all superhero families get compared is the Fantastic Four.  It doesn't matter if they're deconstructing, hailing, parodying, or reinforcing the underlying source material... what matters is that they're so symbolic of the thing to be used, so iconic, that they are the ones selected.  Cable's in that company for an entire period and style of comics and so strongly that even the rival company recognized it right away. "

Sure.  And when you want to symbolize "crap that we wish we could forget" you get Cable. 

That's not a good thing.
#30 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

Also didn't Cable get rid of the Techno Organic Virus years ago in Cable and Deadpool?
#31 Posted by Edamame (28160 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:
" Also didn't Cable get rid of the Techno Organic Virus years ago in Cable and Deadpool? "
No.  Just held it in control.
#32 Posted by JediXMan (30630 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like his death. Too quick; though perhaps realistic, since most deaths in reality wouldn't be long drawn-out goodbyes. 

I despise that Wolverine dealt the killing blow to Bastion, though.

#33 Posted by Edamame (28160 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
" I didn't like his death. Too quick; though perhaps realistic, since most deaths in reality wouldn't be long drawn-out goodbyes.   I despise that Wolverine dealt the killing blow to Bastion, though. "
Hope gave the killing blow to Bastion.. Logan just stabbed him. Nothing he can't take.
#34 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said: 
Sure.  And when you want to symbolize "crap that we wish we could forget" you get Cable.  That's not a good thing. "
Look, it's not the character's fault, literally every hero from Superman to Spidey has had an anti-hero / cyborg armor / black costume phase.  People are just as derisive about Superman being a paragon of virtue or the Rogues being absolute jokes trying to tackle a lightspeed superhero in parkas and toys (heck, the DCAU made a episode in homage to that laughing-stock quality)... but guess what?  Concepts grow.  Being derisive towards a character when you don't even know their history ("...didn't Cable get rid of...") is just ignorant bias.  On that basis, it would be fair to call the Rogues the jokes they were before Johns took a second take on them. 

Bottom line: It's not the character's fault you don't know how to distinguish between the connotation and definition of the word "homage".
#35 Posted by UpUpAndAway (192 posts) - - Show Bio

I am a huge cable fan and im happy with the way he died. actually i believe that he always knew this is how he would die...sacrificing himself for hope. :( goodbye cable, and not to be rude but i hope you dont come back. I'm satisfied with the way everything turned out and i believe cable was too. Goodbye cable.

#36 Edited by Twelve (229 posts) - - Show Bio

Not Cable :'(                                                                  Well.. R.I.P

#37 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

I was never the biggest Cable fan, but this is still tragic.

#38 Posted by doomsummers (761 posts) - - Show Bio
@Twelve: what issue is that from?
#39 Edited by Bigbadwolfx0 (338 posts) - - Show Bio

@gylan_thomas: @zoom: @jonaslighter: @upupandaway: @twelve: @meteorite: @doomsummers: @daak1212: speaking of cables arm does anyone know if his regenerated arm is functional I remember after hope fixed it I remember it being tied up and it dangling like he had no feeling in it or was it just healing but even in the new x-force he has a metal arm sleeve defensive / offense weapon does he have this because he grew up using his techno virus arm to his advantage or is it because he his arm is truly dead, I do find this hard to believe the techno virus ate is arm turning it into a organic metal which cable has gotten blown of a few times and grew back so when hope grew cable his new arm I would assume she grew him new nerves and such, maybe cable used what tk he still had to not only keep the virus at bay and to move his arm. So what do u guys think.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.