no love for cable?

#1 Posted by Askani'Son (25 posts) - - Show Bio

am i the only one that thinks cable's recent passing in second coming has gone pretty much unnoticed by the entire marvel universe? yes, cable is a loner, but there were several people that were close to him: 

- cyclops: he just gets a bit sentimental, like...once 
- hope: she lashes out at scott, then abruptly forgets about cable 
- domino: hello? former old over? instead she sleeps with wolverine in x-force: sex + violence... 
- cannonball: nothing! i admit cable's relationship with (the old) x-force was strained, but in many ways he and sam had a very strong bond 
- that reporter chick who was kind of his girlfriend: do we even see her reaction? 
- blaquesmith: not sure if he's even still alive

at least nightcrawler got an entire issue of wolverine: weapon x dedicated to his remembrance. so unless marvel's going to bring cable back real soon - maybe through x-man's recent return - i'm jonesin' for a little more respect.

#2 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

He got a lot of play proportional to his present connections, fandom, and relevance.  I'd argue his passing was sufficiently acknowledged because, as you state, he was a loner... additionally he was out of time with vast swaths of lived elsewhen... finally, if nothing else, he was a soldier which always makes a loss in battle just a bit more expected, easier, and perhaps more noble.  Nightcrawler's death might hit some as a waste whereas Cable's death seemed like a soldier's fate simply and finally catching up with a man never not at war. 

That said, give it time.  Despite Nightcrawler being friends with more characters, as you mention, Cable was more intimately connected to a number of the X-Book's more influential characters.  I suspect you'll hear and see more references to Cable on the lips of Cyke, Hope, Dom, and Sam than you will Kurt in the near future.

#3 Posted by mavfan626 (4130 posts) - - Show Bio
@Askani'Son:  I think it's because they could still bring him back, so they didn't want to make a big deal about it.
#4 Posted by tensor (4359 posts) - - Show Bio

cable is a big shot he will back

#5 Posted by Warpath Storm (492 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss Cable
#6 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

We see a couple interactions between hope and Cylops in the one shot, But I think his death has been appropriate.  

Some of the lesser characters just haven't been seen to have a reaction, I do agree that cannonball should have had some reaction though.  

For the Domino sleeping with Wolverine comment, Sex and Violence happend before second coming.
#7 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

can't say its Cable specific. the emotions and time drawn to anything in X-Men books got played half-assed over the past year
or two. pretty sure the Domino thing happened well before Cables death too. She had an on and off thing with Wolverine as it
was, and no Cable to comfort her. I don't think of Cable as someone who wants mourning anyways. He was all about the mission.
And yeah, he'll be back. He's Cable. Death is afraid of him, not the other way around. You want to take about lacking in sentiment
look at when Bishop shot Charles Xavier in the head. Notta. Squat. Maybe comic characters are use to the dead returning all the time
so they know they'll be back in a couple of months and save their room:)
I'd like to see Blaquesmith for sure. He's the Yoda of the X-Verse.

#8 Posted by Redalert_27 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

Cable got the death he deserved. I still hope he returns though........hopefully a little younger.... and without the TO virus.

#9 Posted by Askani'Son (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mainline said:
"I suspect you'll hear and see more references to Cable on the lips of Cyke, Hope, Dom, and Sam than you will Kurt in the near future."
i certainly hope so, sir! 

and i can't believe i forgot one of the characters he was most intimately connected with (literally - remember when they body-slid together?!): deadpool!! they even shared a monthly title for years!
#10 Edited by Askani'Son (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@jordama said:

"...Sex and Violence happend before second coming."

good point - the publication dates always throw me off. for that matter, where the heck is wolverine right now - is he stuck in hell or has he just been turned into a vampire?? i can't keep 'em straight.

@CATMANEXE said:
"You want to take about lacking in sentiment look at when Bishop shot Charles Xavier in the head. Notta. Squat."
another good point - i did a double-take when i first read that scene. reminded me of when stryfe (posing as cable) shot him in the head during x-cutioner's song - and back then the entire media made a huge deal out of it. but remember, chuck at this point is really in the doghouse, what with the whole kid omega thing... 

@Redalert_27 said:
"I still hope he returns though........hopefully a little younger.... and without the TO virus."
smells like teen spirit. x-man?
#11 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

@Askani'Son:
I side with G-Man on this, just ignore it. It all happens thats all you need to know. Stop trying to figure out the exact order cause you will find fault

#12 Posted by boob (366 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone knows he will be comming back he has Summers/Grey DNA. And lets face it they ALWAYS come back. Yep he will be poping back with Corsair next to him (still waiting for Katherine to come back).

#13 Posted by N7_Normandy (2430 posts) - - Show Bio
@Askani'Son said:

" am i the only one that thinks cable's recent passing in second coming has gone pretty much unnoticed by the entire marvel universe? yes, cable is a loner, but there were several people that were close to him:  - cyclops: he just gets a bit sentimental, like...once - hope: she lashes out at scott, then abruptly forgets about cable - domino: hello? former old over? instead she sleeps with wolverine in x-force: sex + violence... - cannonball: nothing! i admit cable's relationship with (the old) x-force was strained, but in many ways he and sam had a very strong bond - that reporter chick who was kind of his girlfriend: do we even see her reaction? - blaquesmith: not sure if he's even still alive at least nightcrawler got an entire issue of wolverine: weapon x dedicated to his remembrance. so unless marvel's going to bring cable back real soon - maybe through x-man's recent return - i'm jonesin' for a little more respect. "

I do like Cable, but his sacrifice at the end of second coming was pretty poetic and well done.  It was a fitting, albeit probably temporary, end.    

I would hardly say that Hope has forgotten about Cable.  She constantly makes references to to him and you can see that she is still affected by it.  We'll probably see more of this in Generation Hope. 
#14 Posted by Edamame (28160 posts) - - Show Bio
@N7_Normandy said:
"  I do like Cable, but his sacrifice at the end of second coming was pretty poetic and well done.  It was a fitting, albeit probably temporary, end.     I would hardly say that Hope has forgotten about Cable.  She constantly makes references to to him and you can see that she is still affected by it.  We'll probably see more of this in Generation Hope.  "
I agree. Hope saw Cable as her father. Cyclops only cried a bit, but Hope was much more emotionally affected.  I wonder how Jean Grey's clone thinks about her son's death.
#15 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18855 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope still mentions Cable from what i've noticed.. But forgetting about him? Not sure what the hell your reading >.>

#16 Posted by The Velvet Rabbit (262 posts) - - Show Bio
@mavfan626 said:
" @Askani'Son:  I think it's because they could still bring him back, so they didn't want to make a big deal about it. "
in all fairness, nobody stays dead in comics anymore, and I don't imagine Nightcrawler would stay dead either.   heck, Jean Grey's made a bad habit of dying on cue for years (I know she's died at least twenty times!).   of course, Hope does still mention him constantly, so it's not like he's gone completely unnoticed
#17 Posted by die_yng (15 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
"Hope still mentions Cable from what i've noticed.. But forgetting about him? Not sure what the hell your reading >.> "

Yeah, but I'm pretty pissed, that she's the only one.  
In the X-books these days, it seems no connections between characters exist, except the ones that exist currently. 

Even if none of his old team mourned him in any way, at least Domino and Sam should have.  
It's not that long ago, that Cable and Sam served on the same X-Men team and back then there friendship still existed. 

And I can't begin to explain how utterly despicable I find the Sex & Violence mini, it's the first comic that ever made me feel sick.

I literally got nausea from seeing Dom make out with Wolverine. 
I kept imagining Cable ripping him apart with his TK or shooting him to pieces with an oversized early 90*s gun.
I couldn't finish the book and just ripped it apart and it went into the bin.

#18 Posted by TheCrusader (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Cable was too much of a mish-mash of genres/character types for my taste, they tried to make him a punisher/mutant/commando/psychic/bishop/captain america/nick fury/time cop/judge dredd amalgam and it just didnt work for me
#19 Posted by die_yng (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that about midway in his first series, they actually had the character pretty well developed and up to Soldier X he evolved out of this.

Ever since then you're pretty much on the spot, seems like all they do with him is kill him off every other year and introduce a new version. 

That being said, I absolutely hated his last incarnation, not the Hope part, but his look and attitude was just a bad rip-off of the already totally cliche character he was at the beginning.

My favorite Cable was the Loeb / Churchill one, closely followed by Robert Weinberg& Michael Ryan's and the Cable/Deadpool version.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.