Is he X-Man's counterpart?

#1 Posted by SladeRogers (291 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, I love Cable. He's pretty much my favorite out of all the Grey-Summers offspring. Plus, he's one helluva soldier. And I read an issue of Dark X-Men and saw X-Man (whom I don't read much of) so I'm just wondering if they are basically the same person? If so, could someone explain this relationship to me?
#2 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

It's the other way around.  X-Man is Cable's Age of Apocalypse counterpart.   

When all the mainstream X-Titles were replaced by new titles for the Age of Apocalypse, Cable was replced by X-Man.  All the AoA titles only lasted 4 issues, except for X-Man.  He proved to be so popular, that he was given a means to escape the AoA.  Therefore he crossed into regular Earth-616 continuity and therefore gained an ongoing series. 

While Cable was the natural son of Cyclops & Maddy Pryor (Jean Grey's clone), X-Man was genetically created by AoA-Mr Sinister using the DNA of AoA-Cyclops & AoA-Jean Grey. 

So essentially Cable & X-Man have the same DNA, but aren't the same person.

#3 Posted by SladeRogers (291 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
Oh, that clears up so much. Thanks.
#4 Posted by Edamame (27982 posts) - - Show Bio
@SladeRogers said:
" @xerox-kitty: Oh, that clears up so much. Thanks. "
Also, X-Man lacks the TO virus, unlike Cable.  X-Man also has a slightly higher power level than a fully powered Cable. 
#5 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@SladeRogers: Yes
#6 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio
Slightly higher? Dude is Omega Level!
#7 Posted by Edamame (27982 posts) - - Show Bio
@Theodore said:
" Slightly higher? Dude is Omega Level! "
I don't know. LOL Remember Burnt Offering? It is hard for me to imagine X-Man doing what Cable did. You know, battling the Silver Surfer and the other crazy stuff. What puts X-Man above Cable is that he is now pure psionic energy. I suspect that Cable can't do that transformation because of the TO virus.
#8 Posted by SladeRogers (291 posts) - - Show Bio

@Edamame:
Oh, yeah. Burnt Offering gave me a new respect for Cable. Wait, a minute... You're tellin' me that X-Man is stronger than Cable when he was a telekinetic/telepathic godlike dude?!

#9 Posted by Edamame (27982 posts) - - Show Bio
@SladeRogers said:
"

@Edamame:
Oh, yeah. Burnt Offering gave me a new respect for Cable. Wait, a minute... You're tellin' me that X-Man is stronger than Cable when he was a telekinetic/telepathic godlike dude?!

"
Well, define "stronger".

1. X-Man can go into pure psionic energy form, while Cable can't. Ever.  Unless of course Cable managed to completely purge the TO virus from his body. Then, such a transformation is plausible.

2. A fully-powered Cable can simultaneously combat a benevolent Silver Surfer, while repairing damaged done to the vicinity and holding that huge island up in the air. For some reason, I can't see X-Man doing that. Perhaps, it is because X-Man wasn't really trained to be a soldier like Cable was. Also, Cable has much more battle field experience.  
#10 Posted by Valtot (4502 posts) - - Show Bio
@SladeRogers:
there genetically the same but cable is older and alot more muscular thanks to his life of combat while X-man has had more time to master his abilities as he doesnt have a techno organic virus eating after his body weakening him meaning hes more skilled than cable at full power though cable seemed extremely powerful when at full power but didnt have enough time learn all of the things X-man did
#11 Posted by SladeRogers (291 posts) - - Show Bio

@Valtot:
@Edamame:
Alright so I basically these two guys are the very same person just lead different lives or even can be concluded as two sides to one coin. Cable being the soldier who has lived an eternity (not literally) on the battlefield and is in a constant struggle (well, was in a constant struggle) with the T-O virus which caused him to use his power to hold it at bay daily while X-Man is like the complete opposite never having to fight on the battlefield, lives without the T-O virus in his system and has learned to master his powers to a near godlike level. Something like that?

#12 Posted by die_yng (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Quite so, but  Cable has been rid of his T-O virus before and like others already said, he is pretty much on the same level with Nate Grey power-wise, at that time. 
X-Man was very powerful, but he wasn't that great in using his powers. He basically just tried to overpower everybody with raw power.
Earlier on X-Man was a pretty stupid character, he only became interesting after he was made into the Mutant Shaman during Counter-X 
(And I bought his whole series, so I should know).  This made hm use his power in new ways and he no longer acted like a little brat.
Cable on the other hand has a big backstory, with the whole Askani stuff in the future, his long association with X-Force, being twice on the X-Men rooster, regularly kicking Wolverine's ass etc..  
Nate Grey had basically three connections: 
Threnody (former Mr. Sinister servant)

Madeline Grey (actually an evil Jean Grey from another dimensional plane) 
and he bounded once or twice with Scott and Jean. 

So funny enough Cable actually is the more social of the two. 

Yes, they are two sides of the same coin, but not in everyway.

#13 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12558 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
their both counterparts, it dosnt really matter who came first
#14 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
" @xerox-kitty: their both counterparts, it dosnt really matter who came first "
It did matter since that was the question.  However, the question has been answered & people have moved on to the similarities & differences between the two Nates.
#15 Posted by doomsummers (761 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame: Cable was planning to burn himself out. It wouldn't make any sense for him to try to beat SS, he wasn't really trying to beat him. SS helped him in his goal by making Cable look like the enemy.
#16 Posted by Sobe Cin (599 posts) - - Show Bio

Either way, we all miss Cable. It will be interseting to see X-Man. But seriously, he needs a new code name. It's to confusing with all the x-titles and him.

#17 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

In New Mutants #27 I believe Dani Moonstar told her father that nate was cable from an alternate universe

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.