Follow

Cable

Character » Cable appears in 3579 issues.

The once-mysterious Cable (a.k.a. Nathan Summers) is Cyclops' time-traveling son who was infected with the deadly techno-organic virus during his infancy, which he keeps at bay using his advanced psionic powers. At one time a founding member and leader of the militant team called X-Force, previously known as the New Mutants, Cable takes the aimless youths under his wing and whips them into fighting shape in order to prepare them for future threats.

How did Nathaniel Summers get the name Cable?

Jayso4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Jayso4201

Cable #12
    Cable #12
    Just wondering if anyone knows did he get it from the future, if so who gave it to him?
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By jordama

I don't think it was ever explained

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Gambit1024

I always felt that his was the weirdest code name.  

His and Sprite. 

Psimitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Psimitar

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/features/116883849126986.htm 

That is an old (2007) interview with credited Cable creator Rob Liefeld.  I say "credited" because Liefeld is known for creating Cable but IMO Fabian Nicieza made Cable who he is.  In the interview Liefeld reveals the following: 

SGS: It's been requested that I ask you to come clean on the creation of Cable. Apparently, there's different versions. This controversy results from the fact that Louise Simonson and Bob Harras have different versions. Also, is there a definitive story about what the character called Cable was originally intended to be?

RL: In all honesty, I don't believe that if we all sat in the same room together that there would be discrepancies, especially between Bob and myself. I was given a directive to create a new leader for the New Mutants. There was no name, no description besides a "man of action" the opposite of Xavier. I created the look, the name, much of the history of the character. After I named him Cable, Bob suggested Quinn and Louise had Commander X. I stood my ground and 17 years later, he remains a prominent part of X-lore. There's nothing more to it. Anything else happened away from me. He looks like the way I designed him, which was for Marvel, very unique for its time. No one disputes that I named him. Again, it's just grist for the detractor mill, nothing more.

So there you have it.  There really was no rhyme or reason to Cable's name.  Of course, that can be said for most of the things Liefeld has hacked out.  I believe at some point a later writer tried to say that he called himself Cable to be a living link to the past and the future, but that's more than a little hokey.  Still,  Commander X?  I shudder to think....
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By joshmightbe

Because Dish Network would be a silly name for a super hero 

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Aiden Cross
    @Psimitar: Commander X?... wow...
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 138

#7  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Cable's name is an allusion to his time traveling 

he serves as a cable between the past and the future

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Avenging-X-Bolt: Also his cybernetic eye gets Cinemax 
    Psimitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Psimitar

@joshmightbe: Which, contrary to popular belief is actually his right eye and not his left.  The scars around his right eye shows where the techno-virus entered his body then proceeded to spread across to the left side.  Cable's power actually manifests itself through his left eye (same as X-Man) just like Jean's manifest throught her forehead.  His left eye was constantly glowing because Cable was constantly using his power to stave off  the spread of the techno-virus.

theicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By theicon

it was cabbage but  the typo is cable....lol

markdienekes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By markdienekes
    @Psimitar: @Psimitar said:

@joshmightbe: Which, contrary to popular belief is actually his right eye and not his left.  The scars around his right eye shows where the techno-virus entered his body then proceeded to spread across to the left side.  Cable's power actually manifests itself through his left eye (same as X-Man) just like Jean's manifest throught her forehead.  His left eye was constantly glowing because Cable was constantly using his power to stave off  the spread of the techno-virus.

The scars are Askani clan markings.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#12  Edited By xerox_kitty

What Avenging-X-Bolt said.  He's the cable connecting between the past (ie the present day) and the future in which the Clan Askani fight to destroy Apocalypse. 

Pretty tenuous attempt for the writers to justify a typical 90's codename, but they did the best with what was there.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By fodigg

It's a terrible codename but at least it's not Commander X.

Howlverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Howlverine

A "Cable" is something that combines the best qualities of a "Rope" (Organic) with those of a "Chain" (Metallic). That's why he was called Cable. It alludes to his innate Techno-organic lifeform-ness. At least that's what I thought way back in the day. (And I thought it was really cool).   I dunno if Liefield came up with the techno-organic aspect of the story. Far as I remember, all he did was draw a really old Rambo in 90's armour. 

Psimitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Psimitar
    @markdienekes said:
    @Psimitar: @Psimitar said:

The scars are Askani clan markings.

@mardienekes: At the risk of being being stubborn, I have to disagree.  I advise you go back and look at X-Factor #68 as well as the Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix mini-series.  In X-Factor #68, you see where on Nathan's body the techno-virus spread; this was prior to him being sent into the future.  In The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix, you will see Nathan as a boy with the same scars.
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jordama
    @Howlverine: That is the most elegant way of phrasing it. Cool
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By CATPANEXE

Now i'm confused. I'm sticking with that he coined it himself because he thought the other boys in the battlefield would think it made him sound tough or something, only because I only see him doing something like that amidst chewing on live grenades and poking himself in the finger with a rusty sewing needle. Understandable of course, one needs to farm an image when going up against the likes of Thumbelina.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By joshmightbe

I got it, he got his name because he over charges for pay per view events 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#19  Edited By xerox_kitty

His codename has nothing to do with his techno-organic virus.
    Howlverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Howlverine
    @CATPANEXE: That's entirely possible.
    @xerox_kitty: I know. His codename actually has nothing to do with anything, really. Just uber-cool hard-ass-ness. He's one of those characters on whom much sense has been imposed retroactively.
    I just thought it linked to the half flesh-half metal thing. Seemed to make more sense than "Connecting the future with the past...".  
    Why would the future be connected to the past with a cable?  
    @jordama
    : thanks, dude. 
    Also, people in general, please stop making jokes about TV / Pay-per-view. It's all been done. (Woo-hoo-hoo...)
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jordama
    @Howlverine: I agree that the jokes about Tv are kinda failing.
    Bigbadwolfx0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayso4201: I know this is old but I believe that cables name has a connection with the askani beliefs with time travel cable was born in the present but grew up and lived in the future but returned to the present he is a cable or connection from one time to another and his eye is a representation of the Phoenix force also his real name Nathan day spring is because he was born on the first day of spring.

anjuwayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His real name is Nathan Christopher Charles Summers, not Nathaniel... Nathaniel Grey is another character...

Jayimfamous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The name was explained it... Cable meant the connection between the past present and future. He is the cord/plug/cable that connects him to the events.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.