Follow

Bunker

Character » Bunker appears in 131 issues.

An amateur superhero coming from a small town in Mexico, Bunker is a member of the Teen Titans. He is capable of projecting Psionic bricks to form walls and other structures in various forms. He can also use his psionic bricks as a form of armour.

BUNKER... mistake, or the next step for DC in diversity?

Wonderboy52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wonderboy52

As an ethic homosexual man myself I have to say that I think Bunker is a HUGE mistake and here's why.

1. Lets start with his costume. Can you take anyone seriously wearing pink and purple other then a Star Sapphire? NO! Just because he's gay and “flamboyant” doesn't mean he needs to wear such a ridiculous outfit. It could have still had a flair to it but they just went over the top. If he stays around very long I hope they at least give him a new costume.

2. His name... Bunker? That's just silly, as well as the other new Titan Skitter. Solstice is the only new Titan I feel is acceptable. Bunker is not a character I feel anyone will be quick to say is their favorite just because of these two facts.

3. His powers, he can create some sort of solid energy constructs which is cool but someone in another comment stated “a Mexican teen with the power to put up border walls?” ravisher. And that's how people will see him because of how DC is releasing him. Why not just add the character to the roster and not let anyone know he was gay until they picked up the comic. Then it wouldn't seem like such a publicity stunt to attract Mexican/gay readers.

Stormwatch released two starring gay heroes Apollo, and the Midnighter but they never said before they comic was released that, “Oh yeah Apollo and Midnighter are gay together just so everyone knows” because it shouldn't be about that. In my opinion Apollo is the only gay hero I think they should be proud of, Batwoman and Midnighter don't sit well with me either, but what do you think?

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BatteredArmor

.......Bunker is an awesome name

ruralrural

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By ruralrural

I'm OK with his name and I think I like his character.

Bobzenub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Bobzenub

Well that's just like your opinion man. I happen to like his personality, I find the name to be cool too and the costume is not a grimdark mercenary outfit dominated by red and/ or black what I find quite refreshing. I think he is a great addition to the roster and I hope he'll remain a great character, making you change your mind about him in the future.

WolfMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By WolfMonkey

@Wonderboy52:

Ok counterpoints

1) I see nothing wrong with the colors of his costume. Also, where did all you people learn your colors? pink and purple? that is not pink. maroon at the closest but certainly not pink. You're a gay "ethic" (i think you mean ethnic) person and you have a problem with those colors? why? I'm straight and purple is my favorite color. I wish they had kept his costume as badass as the other new costumes, as opposed to making him look like an oldschool campy hero, but i have nothing wrong with the colors.

2) Bunker. That's a pretty badass name. what's wrong with it? a bunker is strong. a bunker is sturdy. Would you have preferred they stuck with his old name "The Wall"? no thank you. that name was lame. bunker is simple. yet implies an unmoving fortitude.

3) a mexican teen who puts up border walls... the way he's been written so far, i barely see him as a "mexican teen", i see him as a teen, same way you shouldnt see him as a gay teen. Thats not how I see him at all. his power confueses me a bit because he seems like a dumbed down purple lantern, but his powers to build the walls come from his personality and character trying to break down the walls of the stereotypes that you seem to be trying to bind him to.

I do not see this as a publicity stunt. I see this as Lobdell wanted to create a character, and this is what he wanted. same as stan lee wanted to create characters and we got what he wanted. Creators create what they want. Not just because of a publicity stunt. And quite honestly, so far of the characters i've seen in the DCNU, Bunker has already become one of my favorites. So if you think nobody will pick him as a favorite, then call me Nobody.

LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By LightBright

I actually really like Bunker so far. At one point I actually found myself complimenting his costume. I enjoy him so far and don't really see what there is to hate on. There isn't really a great emphasis being put on either his ethnicity or his sexual orientation. Considering how Lobdell writes female characters (not the best IMO) I think he's done fairly well by Bunker so far. 

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By TheOptimist

So first, just to get it out of the way:

eth·nic

[eth-nik] Show IPAadjective1.pertainingtoorcharacteristicofapeople,especiallyagroup(ethnicgroup)sharingacommonanddistinctiveculture,religion,language, orthelike.

We are all ethnic. Now that that is done.

1. Can I take anyone seriously wearing purple or pink? Yes, absolutely.

No Caption Provided
    Hulk Year 1972
    Hulk Year 1972
    Avengers Solo
    Avengers Solo

Flamboyant would've been a feather boa , a constantly extended pinky tip and a pair of doc martins. Considering the standard fare of most superhero costumes, not to mention those in the very same title, Bunker's costume is not only tame in comparison, it is more or less cool.

2. Bunker isn't really a horrible name. Also, I don't see giving the character that name as any form of mistake under the lens of their diversity initiative. I think a much better reason why fans might not be calling him their favorite character is because he has existed in comic books for less than three months, and has had a (minor) development in terms of plot and identity extension, about 72 hours ago. The superhero naming tradition develops power not with the initiation of the name, but the association built with the name. Mister Freeze, Captain America, Blue Beetle, Detective Chimp, Robin, Toad, even Wolverine and Batman... these are not really naturally 'cool' names. Take the example of the character of Catman. Not a cool name. And he, as well as the writing staff, was aware of that fact. So they took it and defied expectations, and made people willing to say "Catman is the *expletive* dude! He could kick your *expletive*, he is so *expletive* cool." If the character is cool, the name will become synonymous with cool. Also, even if Bunker isn't everyone's tip-top favorite, that doesn't mean that he isn't an effective and valuable character, worthy of investment of interest.

3. The information about his identity was a piece of interest. An element of the character. And it is was meant to pull in readers of variety, or at least those interested in that type of subject... if a book was advertised as a book featuring a superhero of unrevealed gender, race, class, and associated agenda... where is the hook? Besides, people are excited to have a public notation of a character with a sexual orientation of the LGBT variety. How is that a bad thing? And we did know that Stormwatch's Apollo and Midnighter were gay. From prior knowledge and from constant mention in interviews with writer Pau Cornell. We also knew that heroes past were straight because early information indicated their potential romantic interests and heterosexually intended developments. I've introduced a couple of readers that happen to be gay through the avenue of these two titles, in part because they felt like it would be nice to have a figure they have some closer relationship with, and an opportunity to see how this early wave of influence might manifest in the media of comics.

Personally I think Bunker, Apollo, Midnighter and Batwoman are all thrilling characters, who the writers can be incredibly proud of in their presentation, and within the universe each one is a competent and compelling figure that well represents not only the homosexual community but the human community.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

@Wonderboy52: You notice this.

I as mexican, notice the whole ignorance to the mexican life style, ideas and culture.

The whole idea, was to make him mexican so it shock people, the fact he is mexican and gay.

He came from a new ide of making stereotypical characters in a positive light, in a GLEE fashion, dont matter how boring and bidimensional they are, this character is there for the sake of diversity(What means he is there so, people dont say they are homophobic and racist).

Not becuase they actually need him.

Saddly, many people will like him for the fact he is a minority, even when most of mexican DC fans i know hate the guy for the fact, he is pretty much a white kid that DC says its mexican.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By TheCrowbar

He's only one issue into his deployment as a character, I'll reserve my judgement for a bit.

telepathic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By telepathic666

I like him and hey purple is my fav color, the only thing i would change is the range of his power but since is new there is lots of time to develop them :)

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By GREGalicious

I personally think he's a GREAT character!! I dont see a problem with with his name, personality, or costume. Plenty of powerhouse characters wear colors like that (HAWKEYE, MAGNETO, and JOKER off the top of my head), and these characters are certainly a lot more well known than STAR SAPPHIRE.

He's happy, confident in who he is, and his power has the potential to grow. He's a very good step for portraying a gay character.

Avatar image for iragulasuperbia
    iragulasuperbia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iragulasuperbia

I just like that he's a positive character. Him, Solstice, and Kid Flash bring light to what would otherwise be a largely, probably even annoyingly, angsty group. And I kind of like how his costume isn't something that reminds me of the Tron movie posters.

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrMiracle77

Bunker wasn't the mistake.  Lobdell was the mistake.

cellot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By cellot
    Purple/Pink Psionic Powers
    Purple/Pink Psionic Powers
    Purple Psionic Powers
    Purple Psionic Powers

Now I haven't read his book, but aren't psionic powers usually purple/pink? It just seems like having a costume matching the powers for a monochromatic hero.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By sethysquare

mistake?

Boyletson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Boyletson

So far Bunker character has been pretty intresting. The only the I don't like is how Bunker's so much of a BackBurner charcter. I mean he get's the spotlight for maybe 3 pages the we don't get to see him for the whole issue. Plus the 3 pages he's actually in are mostly just for comic relief. All I'm asking for is alittle bit of Bad-Ass to come out of Bunker's character.

V.S

Comic Relief Bunker VS Bad-Ass Bunker

El_Taza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By El_Taza

It's an awesome character. Not a mistake at all. I wouldn't say his costume looks "gay" cause gay people don't wear pink or purple outfits heh. He is kind of a comic relief but so is spider-man so I don't think that's a problem. And we don't get to see Bunker as a star of any story-arcs cause peeps are bitchin' so they probably aren't sure if they want him to exist at all.

P.S. He's awesome.

Red_Vibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Red_Vibe

I love Bunker, he is tied with KF as my favorite starting titan in this series. Him being gay is fine, it is a major part of him, but it doesn't come off as overbearing which is good, and I LOVE the fact that he is Christian, it is so hard to find Christian characters in comics.

imperiex96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. I Thought I was the only guy that thought Bunker was great. Can't comment much further than anyone else, just want to toss my name in the hat of Bunker fans. His Name fits his powers, His powers fit his personality(subconscious) and costume is refreshingly not an attack of primary colors. I have to agree with @wolfmonkey and @theoptimist on all his points, especially the fact part where I see him as a teen above all else, not gay or Mexican or whatever, but as a teen and welcome addition to the Titans.

llebpmacmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish the outlaws were still a full-fledged team because I think he would be great on it especially considering how arsenal has commented on how he has that fun outgoing attitude but is also very practical in the way he acts and thinks. He even commented on him saying that he would "join the justice league by the time he is 20".

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.