Why Buffy is so pathetically weak in season 9?

#1 Posted by Picard (999 posts) - - Show Bio

When Joss Whedon was asked why he created Buffy, he said that he wanted to subvert cliché of "the little blonde girl who goes into a dark alley and gets killed in every horror movie" - that was simple yet ingenious idea: take character who is damsel in distress and change her into an action hero. This is what Buffy character was all about: female empowerment, role reversal and changing stereotypes. Problem is that in season 9 she really is this damsel in distress. In comics she suffer from severe case dumbass in distress disorder - she supposed to be this great Slayer, but every time we see her she gets her ass kicked, she is constantly humiliated and she can't do nothing right. And I don't know why that is? Sure in TV series she had her flaws but if I had to describe her character I would said that she was: strong, resourceful and caring, in those comics I would say that she is: weak, incompetent and stupid. It's so contrary to what her character ever was and what she was all about, that I will not call her Buffy, I will call her Rhonda the Immortal Waitress for now on.

First she got drugged and her body is stolen from her. Then (issue 2) she lost fight with single zompire and she must be rescued by Severin. Then (issue 4) she was lured into a trap by Severin and must be rescued by detective Dowling. Then (issue 7) she got her arm torn off by a single zompire. Then (issue 9) she is kidnapped and in issue 10 Spike, Andrew and Spike's cockroaches must save her. Then (issue 11) she fails to stop assassination attempt - fortunately this was just a drill. Then (issue 12) she is almost smothered to death by tentacle monster and must be rescued by Kennedy. Then (issue 13) she is defeated by Eldre Koh who cut her face. In issue 16 she got owned three times in a row by single zompire. And must be rescued byDowling and Billy. And in issue 18 she will fight Severin, a guy who almost killed her before. Severin is a human who draws powers from supernatural beings but can be hurt with a gun, and instead of using a gun on him, Buffy go against him with her superpowers. Great Scott, that is lame! She also never saved the day, she never saved anyone, she have no impressive combat feats. She didn't done anything heroic, impressive or badass. She is way off her game. Her game left the country. She is not a hero, she is a victim and that irritate the hell outta me. She really sucks at this hero stuff. Female empowerment? More likely message of this story is: Rhonda go to the kitchen and make me a sandwich! But she is so incompetent that she probably would cut herself with her own knife... Dear authors of season 9, what are you doing? Don't you realize that you are destroying this character?

And there is her decision making process. Her decision to terminate pregnancy was her only good decision she made this season - she is not ready to be a mother, unfortunately it is null and void now. But the rest of her decisions is just bad and down right stupid. She drown her cares in alcohol even though that twice before she had bad experiences with alcohol ("Reptile boy" and "Beer bad"). She escapes from police and decide that she will trust first guy who she had met and she will sleep at his place. And she walk around this strange man's place wearing only underwear... Severin admitted that he wanted to be vampire yet she still trusted him even though she didn't know this guy and she had bad experience with people who wanted to be vampires ("Lie to me"). And surprise, surprise Severin betrayed her and tried to kill her. She also trusted Koh and he also betrayed her. Who would expect that? She is also changing jobs more often than I'm changing my socks and she do nothing to have this normal life she always wanted. What is wrong with her?

Dear authors of season 9: why should I care about this character, why should I like her, why should I sympathize with her if she is so pathetic? Why should I invest myself in her story when she is so worthless? Why she is still our hero and protagonist when other characters are doing better job that she? She really hasn't looked anything like a strong character or a strong woman or a great Vampire Slayer - she's never been as weak both as a person and as a character as now. Now even Billy, 16 year old withouth any powers and with basic h2h training is better "Slayer" than she is ( there is also a lot bad about Billy character since he is essentially Gary Stu). Regardless, reading about protagonist who can't do nothing right is just not fun. It's like reading about Batman who trips over his own cape. Hero should be awsome in one way or another, she isn't. I wait to the end of "Welcome to the team" arc and if she will be humiliated again, if she don't do anything heroic, impressive or badass then I will quit reading "Buffy" comics.

#2 Posted by MatKrenz (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah ill admit that Buffy ongoing is really lame but don't despair on the Season 9 line of comics because Angel & Faith, Willow: Wonderland and the recently finished Spike: Dark place ongoing and mini-series are/were great reads. Just because the main character of the universe sucks doesn't mean you should give on the much better written everything else.

#3 Posted by Picard (999 posts) - - Show Bio

@MatKrenz said:

Yeah ill admit that Buffy ongoing is really lame but don't despair on the Season 9 line of comics because Angel & Faith, Willow: Wonderland and the recently finished Spike: Dark place ongoing and mini-series are/were great reads. Just because the main character of the universe sucks doesn't mean you should give on the much better written everything else.

Thank you for recommendation. Many people said that spin offs are much better, I didn't want to believe them but I seen some scans, and I have to say that at least artwork look much better. I give it a try.

The sad thing is that I never hated character of Buffy Summers, quite the contrary but what they did with her in those comics... Damn shame.

#4 Posted by MatKrenz (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@Picard: ONe thing tho, what makes Billy a "Gary Stu". I didn't read the issues he was introduced in but I glanced through them and he seems to be pretty bland. Nothing from him screams "Stu character". Just curious.

#5 Posted by Ironhawk22 (320 posts) - - Show Bio

Dropped season nine early on. After reading this I'm glad I did. To me it seemed like the writer didn't really understand Buffy. I saw the preview of the latest issue and it looks like they made Xander a jerk(again). Angel and Faith is fantastic! Willow is good. The character interaction is really fun to read, however Willow doesn't feel like Willow to be honest.

#6 Edited by Picard (999 posts) - - Show Bio

@MatKrenz said:

@Picard: ONe thing tho, what makes Billy a "Gary Stu". I didn't read the issues he was introduced in but I glanced through them and he seems to be pretty bland. Nothing from him screams "Stu character". Just curious.

Well, his first mission: he almost single-handedly killed entire nest of zompires and saved bunch of people, next issue he saved Buffy and he was the one who have idea how capture this zompire-queen who owned Buffy three times in a row. In fact he is the only character who have good ideas, and who can do something right. Those zompires owned vampire Slayers with ten years of combat experience and they almost killed Dowling who is police detective, but 16 year old withouth powers and withouth any special training walk out from zompire nest without a scratch. Yeh, right. And authors insist on calling him vampire Slayer, yet he is male and have no Slayer powers at all. Sorry, but his character is just shameless pandering to gay community.

@Ironhawk22 said:

Dropped season nine early on. After reading this I'm glad I did. To me it seemed like the writer didn't really understand Buffy. I saw the preview of the latest issue and it looks like they made Xander a jerk(again). Angel and Faith is fantastic! Willow is good. The character interaction is really fun to read, however Willow doesn't feel like Willow to be honest.

I agree that Andrew Chambliss don't understand Buffy as a character. Entire idea behind her character was that she was this seemingly ditzy and petite blonde, and you wouldn't expect her to be a hero. But against expectations she was: she could be surprisingly clever when things got tough. Now she really is this dumb blonde who get s killed in every slasher movie. Damn shame. I liked her. :(

#7 Posted by MatKrenz (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@Picard: Honestly the only human guy I can buy to be badass enough to kill a bunch of vampires single handedly is Gunn from Angel, seeing as how he's been killing them since he was 12.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.