Follow

Bucky Barnes

Character » Bucky Barnes appears in 2103 issues.

Believed dead near the end of World War II only to have been found and brainwashed by the Soviets for the next 50 years, Captain America's former sidekick now continues to defend his country from the shadows against those who would threaten it as legendary spy and assassin, the Winter Soldier. He became the new Captain America to honor his friend Steve and he joined the Avengers. When Steve returned as Captain America, Bucky took on the identity of the Winter Soldier once again.

Winter Soldier Mini Series in 2014

• 75 results
    Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

There is a new mini series for Winter Soldier coming out in February 2014. It will be written by Remender and art by Roland Boschi.

Here is the article from Newsarama.

The Winter Soldier is returning to a solo series, just in time for the movie that bears his name, Captain America: The Winter Soldier. While the movie is hitting in April 2014, Winter Soldier: The Bitter March will hit comic book shelves in February 2014, an all-new mini-series written by current Captain America writer Rick Remender and drawn by artist Roland Boschi.

The story takes place in 1966, telling the tale of one of the Winter Soldier’s missions while Captain America was ostensibly still in deep freeze. That doesn’t mean the series won’t affect Captain America, though, as Remender tells USAToday it will “shatter” Steve Rogers’ world.

In The Bitter March, Nazi scientists rear their ugly head once more with a formula that falls into the hands of Hydra. S.H.I.E.L.D. agents Nick Fury and Ran Shen have to race against Soviet agent Winter Soldier to secure the formula and secure a major Cold War victory.

It'll be interesting to read a story where he is the Russian assassin, and not him dealing with the consequences of being that assassin.

Lena_Dante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Lena_Dante

Ughhhh Remender.....no thanks.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Remender? Hype

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thexx@slimj87d@war_killer@veshark

Did you guys see this story yet?

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Remender. Ech. Seems like he's writing everything at Marvel these days. I'm just hoping he doesn't 'radicalize' Winter Soldier in the same way he's done Cap. Buck's one of the few characters to have been relatively untouched by writers outside his 'creator' (yes, I know his creator's technically Joe Simon/Jack Kirby, but you get my point).

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remender? I'll pass.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I'm glad to see Bucky getting some spotlight even after his ongoing series was cancelled. But part of me feels this may end up being a random story that, ultimately, will just be to promote the movie and not have any real lasting effects. Curious on where they go with this mini-series though.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@veshark: Buck's one of the few characters to have been relatively untouched by writers outside his 'creator' (yes, I know his creator's technically Joe Simon/Jack Kirby, but you get my point).

Just say he's the creator of Winter Soldier and Joe Simon/Jack Kirby is the creator of Bucky.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Just in time for the movie would you look at that. What a crazy coincidence. On that note though looks like thats the final nail in the coffin for the possibility of a All New Marvel Now Winter Soldier relaunch

Lena_Dante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dreading this, actually.

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer said:

I'm glad to see Bucky getting some spotlight even after his ongoing series was cancelled. But part of me feels this may end up being a random story that, ultimately, will just be to promote the movie and not have any real lasting effects. Curious on where they go with this mini-series though.

OFT.

Also Remender is a hit are miss for me.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Surprised to see all the hate towards this honestly.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thexx said:

@war_killer said:

OFT.

Also Remender is a hit are miss for me.

I liked his Dimension Z storyline, it was a nice change from Brubaker's run, but I'm still not sure how I feel about his current storyline with Nuke...currently it feels a bit random.

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: I am happy about this news. I think the hate is mostly directed at Remender.

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: I kind of liked Dimension Z. It was mostly the art I didn't like. As for the hit our miss thing I loved Remenders run on Uncanny X-Force & I just can't stand his run on Secret Avengers.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@thexx said:

@war_killer: I kind of liked Dimension Z. It was mostly the art I didn't like. As for the hit our miss thing I loved Remenders run on Uncanny X-Force & I just can't stand his run on Secret Avengers.

I have heard others say that the art is what hurt the storyline the most, and part of me agrees but compared to John Romita Jr.'s othermore recent work, his art on Captain America was a vast improvement. I've heard great things about his run on X-Force, I read a little of his Secret Avengers and didn't really care for it.

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new artiest is Carlos Pacheco and his art works for me. As for Uncanny X-Forces (Remender) I highly recommend you check it out. All of the arcs should be in Graphic Novel form.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@veshark: Buck's one of the few characters to have been relatively untouched by writers outside his 'creator' (yes, I know his creator's technically Joe Simon/Jack Kirby, but you get my point).

Just say he's the creator of Winter Soldier and Joe Simon/Jack Kirby is the creator of Bucky.

Long as you get what I mean, I don't wanna dwell on semantics.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By slimj87d

There is a new mini series for Winter Soldier coming out in February 2014. It will be written by Remender and art by Roland Boschi.

Here is the article from Newsarama.

The Winter Soldier is returning to a solo series, just in time for the movie that bears his name, Captain America: The Winter Soldier. While the movie is hitting in April 2014, Winter Soldier: The Bitter March will hit comic book shelves in February 2014, an all-new mini-series written by current Captain America writer Rick Remender and drawn by artist Roland Boschi.

The story takes place in 1966, telling the tale of one of the Winter Soldier’s missions while Captain America was ostensibly still in deep freeze. That doesn’t mean the series won’t affect Captain America, though, as Remender tells USAToday it will “shatter” Steve Rogers’ world.

In The Bitter March, Nazi scientists rear their ugly head once more with a formula that falls into the hands of Hydra. S.H.I.E.L.D. agents Nick Fury and Ran Shen have to race against Soviet agent Winter Soldier to secure the formula and secure a major Cold War victory.

It'll be interesting to read a story where he is the Russian assassin, and not him dealing with the consequences of being that assassin.

Thanks for letting me know this. I knew this would finally happen. I just wish Ed Brubaker was writing it... Usually Marvel sucks at writing mini-series but I can't wait for this. It's kind of sad though... I wanted a series, not a mini one...

I'm still so bitter over Marvel cancelling the WInter Soldier... It had so much potential...

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Yeah I'll probably get this. Love Bucky and the creative team is pretty solid.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, I read the article more thoroughly. They are going to introduce a Russian villain soon in the Captain America story line, then this will serve as a story on the Winter Soldier and tie in how this Russian villain works in the Cap verse. Then it's going to directly affect the Captain America story line.

If they're going to do it this way, they might not have any choice but to make this story elaborated and good since it is a tie in and a precursor for the next Captain America story arc. Interesting... It brings my hopes up a tiny bit.

The Winter Soldier, for the uninitiated, is Bucky Barnes, Captain America’s World War II sidekick. After an injury in the same crash that appeared to take Cap’s life, Barnes was captured by the Russians, brainwashed, and given a cybernetic arm. He then sat in cold storage, woken every few years for a top-secret mission for his new masters, until being discovered in modern times by Captain America, who saved him from himself and restored his memories.

Here, though, he is most definitely the enemy, and Remender says he’ll be “a force of nature, and when he is tracking you, you are in a bad way.” The character stars as sort of a protagonist-antagonist, with editor Tom Brevoort saying “I’m not sure that you always know quite who to root for,” because while he’s against the “good” forces of the US and S.H.I.E.L.D., he is also just so unstoppable.

“He was a tool who had very little control of his own mind,” Remender said, “but I will be exploring how Bucky Barnes is underneath all of it still. Even back then, there was a piece of him trying to stand back up.”

The mini-series will tie directly to Remender’s Captain America, with both Winter Soldier and Ran Shen appearing in November’s Captain America #13. Shen is the villain there, further complicating their portrayal in the past.

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d: I need to start reading the entire article. After reading the article this time. I feel a whole lot better about this Mini Series.

The Winter Soldier, for the uninitiated, is Bucky Barnes, Captain America’s World War II sidekick. After an injury in the same crash that appeared to take Cap’s life, Barnes was captured by the Russians, brainwashed, and given a cybernetic arm. He then sat in cold storage, woken every few years for a top-secret mission for his new masters, until being discovered in modern times by Captain America, who saved him from himself and restored his memories.

Here, though, he is most definitely the enemy, and Remender says he’ll be “a force of nature, and when he is tracking you, you are in a bad way.” The character stars as sort of a protagonist-antagonist, with editor Tom Brevoort saying “I’m not sure that you always know quite who to root for,” because while he’s against the “good” forces of the US and S.H.I.E.L.D., he is also just so unstoppable.

“He was a tool who had very little control of his own mind,” Remender said, “but I will be exploring how Bucky Barnes is underneath all of it still. Even back then, there was a piece of him trying to stand back up.”

The mini-series will tie directly to Remender’s Captain America, with both Winter Soldier and Ran Shen appearing in November’s Captain America #13. Shen is the villain there, further complicating their portrayal in the past.

Hopefully if this Mini sells well Marvel will give Winter Soldier a full series again.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By slimj87d

@thexx said:

@slimj87d: I need to start reading the entire article. After reading the article this time. I feel a whole lot better about this Mini Series.

Hopefully if this Mini sells well Marvel will give Winter Soldier a full series again.

Yeah. If anything will surface, it will happen 6 to 9 months after the mini. I think Marvel has everything planned out 6 to 9 months in advance.

Or I know that Ed Brubaker said he would like to return to write the Winter Soldier one of these days so they may give him a long series run again when Ed Brubaker makes his awesome return to the series.

I was really hoping Ed Brubaker would be the one to elaborate on the Winter Soldiers huge potential background, but lets see what Remender can do.

It's very tough for us Bucky fans to keep wishing and praying for such a small character to become mainstream. But hey, he's appearing in a movie! His popularity surely will rise quite a bit, and from the looks of it, they're going to make him a force to be recon with. Even the director of the first Captain America said he's more interested in making a movie about the Winter Soldier.

Maybe we'll get lucky and one day the Winter Soldier will have his own movie. Or at least a one shot 25 minute one like agent carter.

To me, this would be the PERFECT prologue to Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Steve obviously has problems with SHIELD and quits at the end. Later, you see Bucky in SHIELD custody after everyone thinks he is dead. Nick Fury sits down with him in a room and asks him "So... Are you ready to atone for your mistakes?" And then the camera focuses on Bucky and cuts off.

Pretty much, I'm hoping Bucky takes over for Steve in SHIELD and becomes the black operative they need. The type of super soldier they need that has intel on the evils and inner workings of America that is much better suited in SHIELD than Steve is.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I'm a Bucky fan but I could care less about this. Bringing Steve back took all the momentum away from Bucky, and then Marvel expects people to still buy his material.

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d: I do remember reading a interview with Ed Brubaker about that he had a number of arcs he could do with Bucky (Winter Soldier), and that he wanted to do them too. Its just that Marvel canceled The Winter Soldier series and then sales stabilized and Marvel wanted Brubaker to continue but he had already committed to doing his personal projects.

As for the movie thing I remember reading somewhere that Sebastian Stan has one more movie left on his deal to play Winter Soldier. Like you I hope he gets his own movie. But I could see Marvel trying to do a Secret Avengers Movie. The roster could be Bucky Barnes (Winter Soldier), Hawkeye, Black Widow, Spider-Women, Falcon, & War Machine.

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By slimj87d

@thexx said:

@slimj87d: I do remember reading a interview with Ed Brubaker about that he had a number of arcs he could do with Bucky (Winter Soldier), and that he wanted to do them too. Its just that Marvel canceled The Winter Soldier series and then sales stabilized and Marvel wanted Brubaker to continue but he had already committed to doing his personal projects.

As for the movie thing I remember reading somewhere that Sebastian Stan has one more movie left on his deal to play Winter Soldier. Like you I hope he gets his own movie. But I could see Marvel trying to do a Secret Avengers Movie. The roster could be Bucky Barnes (Winter Soldier), Hawkeye, Black Widow, Spider-Women, Falcon, & War Machine.

He actually signed a contract for 6 appearances. So that's more than just one more left. We'll see.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thexx said:

"Back when he was a

proficient machine of murder

and in that it’s fun to approach him as if he’s a predator. We get into his head and there’s definitely a story arc and some character development here for Bucky but in a lot of ways this is “Alien” or this is “Predator” and he is the force that is chasing some of our heroes.

More on Marvel.com:

http://marvel.com/news/story/21438/all-new_marvel_now_qa_winter_soldier#ixzz2jFgOuoKO"

This is what I'm looking for in his back story. I want to see a cold hearted murder, only because I want to understand more of why Bucky feels so ashamed of what he did and what all those tears mean when he got his mind back.

"

These scientists have fallen into a chapter of Hydra that we haven’t seen before. A whole new cast of villains, a whole new cast of Bond-esque bad guys, and Chancellor Cassandra, who led Hydra through the 60’s. A new character who I’ve been thinking on for a while. A new character for a period of Hydra where there wasn’t really someone running the show in current Marvel continuity.

More on Marvel.com:

http://marvel.com/news/story/21438/all-new_marvel_now_qa_winter_soldier#ixzz2jFh0wynY"

This is also what I wanted. A very elaborate cast of people that were involved with the Winter Soldier. What is a hero without his rogues? It's a shame Brubaker had most of the sleeper agents killed off except for one.

Thanks for sharing, I am getting excited for this series. I think people need to give the first book a chance.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

I personally this is good, Remender is hit or miss.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do people think of Bucky's updated Winter Soldier look for his upcoming mini-series?

No Caption Provided

It obviously takes-after his movie design, but personally I like the face-mask and the goggles. I'm hoping this design rolls over into his present-day appearance.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By slimj87d

@war_killer: They got his arm wrong. He should still have his old school arm with the cable running along it since it was a SHIELD prototype. But the way the metal arm is drawn, it looks a lot like his move self's arm. I honestly don't have a problem with it.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Face-mask still looks silly, reminds me too much of New Goblin.

Rest of the suit is fine and more-or-less as expected. SlimJ87D's right in that the arm is technically incorrect (assuming that this was in his WS days), but eh, that's nit-picking.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Looks cool.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@slimj87d@veshark: I noticed that too when I first saw the image, but from the covers the arm has the red star instead of the white one, which is what his original bionic arm had. Obviously though they're basing the design off the movie version, which doesn't have the cable running from the arm, so I really wasn't surprised when I noticed the change.

At first I wasn't a fan of the mask, but I've warmed up to it since. Personally I like how it looks on this variant cover for the mini-series.

No Caption Provided

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Veshark

@war_killer Aside from the goofy Goblin resemblance, the other thing that kinda irks me about the mask is that I really liked the original domino look. The reason why was that it felt like the one 'comic-book' aspect of WS' costume. Everything else about his look wouldn't be out-of-place in a military/espionage title, and even the cyborg arm is a bit of a 90s concept. But that one domino mask really tied the whole costume together because it makes people remember that: yeah, he's a Marvel character.

I mean, I get why they changed it, it was because the domino would look silly in real-life. I get that. But meh, I still haven't warmed up to it.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@war_killer Aside from the goofy Goblin resemblance, the other thing that kinda irks me about the mask is that I really liked the original domino look. The reason why was that it felt like the one 'comic-book' aspect of WS' costume. Everything else about his look wouldn't be out-of-place in a military/espionage title, and even the cyborg arm is a bit of a 90s concept. But that one domino mask really tied the whole costume together because it makes people remember that: yeah, he's a Marvel character.

I mean, I get why they changed it, it was because the domino would look silly in real-life. I get that. But meh, I still haven't warmed up to it.

I wouldn't mind the domino mask and facial mask. The goggles look weird to me.

In the movie, I hope the goggles are more than just goggles, but rather give him a heads up display (HUD) of his surroundings and information about his mission. That would make more sense on why he has them and how they're espionage like.

It would be like how the SAS have gas mask and nigh vision goggles.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

@veshark said:

In the movie, I hope the goggles are more than just goggles, but rather give him a heads up display (HUD) of his surroundings and information about his mission. That would make more sense on why he has them and how they're espionage like.

I didn't even think about the goggles having a HUD built in. I actually really love that idea and hope it does have something like that. As for the domino mask, while I like them they are becoming outdated in a sense. Marvel seems to be trying to update all of their characters looks, moving away from classic looks and going for something more modern and realistic. So the idea of them moving away from the domino mask and giving Bucky something like the goggles makes sense in a way.

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

@veshark said:

Thats a really good Idea. Maybe the googles could have different vision modes with a display HUD (Regular, Thermal, Night, Infrared, EMF vision.) Also the goggles could scan enemy's to see if they have any noticeable weakness.

The mask however could operate as a Gas mask / Rebreather

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thexx: @war_killer:

If you think about it, his new domino mask that he used before his run was over where his arm pings him a map actually has a lens with HUD. In a sense, he is wearing a type of goggle domino mask mix. Remember Batman's cowl mask having the class around the eyes?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d: Not long ago in Nightwing's current series it was mentioned that his domino mask has a heads-up-display built into them. I could see the goggles having something similar built in as well.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: Yeah, his domino mask also cracked and broke from a fight I forgot with who. I think from the crime syndicate.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d: I was talking about his fight with Prankster. Where Prankster actually manged to hack the HUD in Nightwing's mask, forcing Dick to have fight literally blind. It was an interesting concept, not only upgrading the domino mask with a HUD but also having a villain able to hack it and alter what Nightwing could see.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: Who had teh HUD Domino Mask first? Nightwing or Bucky?

I've noticed the Batman series coincidentally does stuff very close to the Captain America series.

Bucky comes back, 2 months later Jason Todd comes back.

Steve dies, Batman dies.

Bucky becomes Cap, Dick becomes Batman

Steve is stuck in time

Batman goes through time.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@slimj87d: I honestly don't know. I'm still behind on the last Winter Soldier series so I don't know if he used anything like that in his mask. I only started reading Nightwing when he moved to Chicago and I noticed him using it there.

I have noticed that Marvel and DC tend to have events involving Captain America and Batman tie-together, I've always been curious if that was a inside joke or something between the two companies.

Also, going back to Bucky's face mask here's another variant cover Winter Soldier: The Bitter March #3 which shows a different variation of the face mask.

No Caption Provided

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Awesome

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d: What do you think of the face-mask in this fan art? Something about the black face-mask and goggles with red lenses just look epic to me. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Bucky start wearing something like this in the comics.
    No Caption Provided

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d: What do you think of the face-mask in this fan art? Something about the black face-mask and goggles with red lenses just look epic to me. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Bucky start wearing something like this in the comics.
    No Caption Provided

I think it's great actually, specially in that art above. It really masks his identity, and he needs to hide as much as possible from the general public before he gets caught running around. I mean he's wearing the domino mask for now, but it's not enough IMO.

The goggles can have a HUD display. He needs to use a lot of tech to be able to match super hero villains.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@slimj87d said:

@war_killer said:
    No Caption Provided

I think it's great actually, specially in that art above. It really masks his identity, and he needs to hide as much as possible from the general public before he gets caught running around. I mean he's wearing the domino mask for now, but it's not enough IMO.

The goggles can have a HUD display. He needs to use a lot of tech to be able to match super hero villains.

Agreed. And like you said about hiding his identity, if he's going to be working alongside other heroes like in the new Invaders series and, hopefully, Secret Avengers it'll be more beneficial for Bucky if no one saw his face.

And yeah, having some type of HUD system would be very helpful when dealing with all shorts of threats, including super-humans.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By slimj87d

@war_killer: He just looks very scary, like a real cold blooded killer. I know he's a good guy now though, but damn I would be afraid if those eyes glowed red.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.