Winter Soldier Future

#1 Posted by Cap10nate (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

As anyone who has read and enjoyed Winter Soldier knows, Ed Brubaker will be stepping off the title after issue 14 after revitalizing the character 8 years ago. We found out about a month ago that Jason Latour will be taking over the writing duties, and Nic Klein was just announced as the artist for the book. Both of these people are pretty obscure with the Big 2 compared to the likes of Brubaker, Guice, Lark, Breitweiser, and Epting/Bermejo on the covers. Even with this vast amount of talent, the book still struggled to sell above the low to mid 30K copies a month. Do you think that the title will be able to continue to stay afloat with the less recognizable talent at the helm?

Both Latour and Klein gave detailed interviews with CBR that are linked here: Latour and Klein

They seem to have some interesting ideas. They mention that he is going to have to deal with his actions as both a US soldier in WW2 and as the Winter Soldier. He will have to figure out where Bucky Barnes ends and the Winter Soldier begins. As most new things in the comic world, they said it would be 'Dark.' While I usually don't think that it is a necessary trend for everything to be dark and gritty, I think that it does fit this book. Brubaker seems to be leading him to a heartbreaking conclusion in his run so it will continue the tone of the book.

Klein is most recognizable for his recent work on Dancer. A look at some at that art looks like he is somewhat comparable to Lark in his style which is a good thing. He did do a drawing for Bucky that is on the CBR link above that is good but seems a little messed up in the face. It looks like he is in between crying and going the bathroom.

I still have hopes for this book after Brubaker leaves because it has been my favorite book of the year. Is anyone else going to keep with it and/or excited about the change in creative teams.

#2 Edited by ThexX (1576 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate: I will keep reading it no matter what.

#3 Posted by Cap10nate (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThexX: Glad that at least makes two of us. As sad as I am that Brubaker is leaving, I am definitely excited for the new talent as well.

Now that Hawkeye and Wolverine know he is alive, do you think he will be assimilated back to the marvel U in a covert team or stay alone for a while longer?

#4 Edited by aaunderoath (165 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate: I'll definitely keep reading! Brubaker is one of my favorite writers but I'm now attached to Bucky. Plus I have to know where they'll take him now that Hawkeye and Wolverine know he's alive. He'd be perfect for something like the Secret Avengers, but I think for now he doesn't need to be on a team, maybe associate with a team like being Hawkeye/Wolverine's "contact" but being on the team I don't think will help him character right now.

EDIT: Just read the Latour interview and from what he says it sounds like the book will remain mostly the same. So far I'm loving the idea of someone effected by him during the Cold War is back to make his life hell!

#5 Edited by ThexX (1576 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate: For now he should just be by himself and have some contact with Cap, Nick, Hawkeye, & Wolverine. Maybe later on he could join a team something like the Secret Avengers.

#6 Posted by Cap10nate (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThexX: I definitely think there are another couple years of stories that can be told as a covert agent while few people know of his existence. When it isn't such a secret, I think that he should be part of team because of his natural leadership abilities. He could lead/teach a version of Fury's Secret Warriors.

@aaunderoath: I do like he isn't changing the book drastically. He did mention that is hard since there are only 8 years of history and 1 writer instead of 60 years and 20 writers to pick and choose character elements. I hope it doesn't feel like a regurgitated story because Man with No Face was a story about a Winter Soldier era casualty and this story line is all about a fallout from that time and the guys he trained. I hope there is a good excuse for why this person is coming back and not just randomly pulling people from his past to tell generic stories. I have faith though in this new guy.

#7 Posted by RoboShark (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

Dancer is a cool book. Hope the new team transfers well.

#8 Posted by Cap10nate (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoboShark: I have just seeen a couple panels of his art in Dancer. Do you like the look of that book?

#9 Posted by RoboShark (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoy Dancer quite a bit. I would definitely check it out if I were you. A book that went under the radar kinda.

#10 Posted by Cap10nate (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

Nic Klein has posted a new Winter Soldier picture on Twitter. Hopefully we can get more of these in the near future.

#11 Posted by ThexX (1576 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate: Bucky will also be appearing in Marvel Now Secret Avengers (February)

#12 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll also be the villain in Cap 2 right?

#13 Posted by Cap10nate (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThexX said:

@Cap10nate: Bucky will also be appearing in Marvel Now Secret Avengers (February)

That is awesome. I am glad that he will be incorporated into a team. I like him in his own little world but there is only so much that he can do here and this will definitely help keep him in the spotlight.

@SandMan_ said:

He will be in Cap 2 and will probably be the secondary villain. In the books, he is brainwashed and controlled to be a villain. I am assuming that is going to be the same thing that happens in the movie. He will be the secondary bad guy until they find a way to cure him (cosmic cube in the book). I'm hoping for Baron Zemo to be the one controlling him.

#14 Posted by ThexX (1576 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: Yes he will be in Cap 2.

#15 Posted by ThexX (1576 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by tg1982 (2712 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

It seems that he'll be a villian atleast if not the main villian.

#17 Posted by Cap10nate (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThexX: Awesome. Thanks. i just read a very similar article from Newsarama that I just linked there. I am really interested in this now. So Bucky won't be a member but he will be an important factor. My guess is that he will be mad that they are brain wiping the team since he has had such a long history of being used like that. I could see him very upset that SHIELD is doing basically the same thing that his Russian handlers used to do with him. Here is the quote from the article regarding Bucky's role:

Winter Soldier: “He has a key role to play in the book, he’s in the book a lot, but he is not a member of this team. He is not one of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s operative. S.H.I.E.L.D. knows about his existence, as we’ve seen in his own book, but he was not selected for this team. That’s going to set up a lot of interesting stories — why he wasn’t selected, and the fact that Black Widow was.”
#18 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll be in Cap 2 and so will Widow... :)

#19 Posted by Cap10nate (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

He'll be in Cap 2 and so will Widow... :)

I really hope that they play up their relationship in the movie.

#20 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate: Me too! Love them so much <3

#21 Posted by Cap10nate (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_: Definitely my favorite couple. Sad that it is probably over due to what is currently happening in the Winter Soldier series.

#22 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate: Shhhhhhhhhh. Lalalalalalalalalala. That didn't happen.

If they end up putting her with Hawkeye in 616 just because of the movies or some sh!t, I will flip my lid.

#23 Posted by Cap10nate (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_: Who knows what happeningwith Clint. Avengers Assemble has him kissing Widow. Hawkeye has him sleeping with the random chick. And I think he is still dating Spider Woman.

My guess is that since widow will have no memory of her relationship with Bucky that she will faall for Clint again.

#24 Edited by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate said:

@Mercy_: Who knows what happeningwith Clint. Avengers Assemble has him kissing Widow.

My guess is that since widow will have no memory of her relationship with Bucky that she will faall for Clint again.

Absolutely refuse to accept that trash as canon. It's so blatantly pandering to the movies that it's absurd.

Ugh, I really hope not :(

#25 Edited by SlimJ87D (10741 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cap10nate said:

@Mercy_: Who knows what happeningwith Clint. Avengers Assemble has him kissing Widow. Hawkeye has him sleeping with the random chick. And I think he is still dating Spider Woman.

Yeah, I don't know if this series is canon. I mean Hulk was in the series, and it was quite clear that he hasn't worked with them for a long long time till AvX when Captain America asked for his help. And in the latest Avengers issue Spider-woman and Clint are in bed doing the dirty. Drax was also in the series and he's suppose to be dead since Thanos killed him.  

#26 Edited by Cap10nate (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

@SlimJ87D said:

@Cap10nate said:

Yeah, I don't know if this series is canon. I mean Hulk was in the series, and it was quite clear that he hasn't worked with them for a long long time till AvX when Captain America asked for his help. And in the latest Avengers issue Spider-woman and Clint are in bed doing the dirty. Drax was also in the series and he's suppose to be dead since Thanos killed him.

I thought that I read that it is canon. Iron Man is joining the GOTG in their series and that is a result of Avengers Assemble. It definitelyhas all kind of issues though in regards to continuity and the Thanos Imperative. Drax should be dead yet he was there. Starlord and Thanos were in trapped in theCancerverse with Nova when it collapsed. They are both back and the Cancerverse is still there in AA. But now everything is back except Nova who has been replaced by some kid. They alluded to the fact that Starlord was in the Cancerverse but cut away before he explained how he got out. Who knows what the timeline is for when thesethings take place. In the same month Widow was fighting the XMen in AVX , Thanos in AA, and is brainwashed in WS. That is what bothers me most wiyh the characters in multiple books is that every writer has a different story to tell and use characters to a way they want and you get all these stories and you don't know when the events took place or if anything is being disregarded. Like when we see Widow in AVX or other Avengers, is it before or after her brainwashing in Winter Soldier

#27 Posted by SlimJ87D (10741 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cap10nate said:

@SlimJ87D said:

@Cap10nate said:

I thought that I read that it is canon. Iron Man is joining the GOTG in their series and that is a result of Avengers Assemble. It definitelyhas all kind of issues though in regards to continuity and the Thanos Imperative. Drax should be dead yet he was there. Starlord and Thanos were in trapped in theCancerverse with Nova when it collapsed. They are both back and the Cancerverse is still there in AA. But now everything is back except Nova who has been replaced by some kid. They alluded to the fact that Starlord was in the Cancerverse but cut away before he explained how he got out. Who knows what the timeline is for when thesethings take place. In the same month Widow was fighting the XMen in AVX , Thanos in AA, and is brainwashed in WS. That is what bothers me most wiyh the characters in multiple books is that every writer has a different story to tell and use characters to a way they want and you get all these stories and you don't know when the events took place or if anything is being disregarded. Like when we see Widow in AVX or other Avengers, is it before or after her brainwashing in Winter Soldier

Yep it is canon. Someone asked at a panel during comic con. CBR wrote down everything that happen in that panel. 

Bendis just likes to ruin everything. Anything he gets a hands on ruins other writers stories. It's like the guy doesn't check up with other people and everyone has to accommodate his stories in theirs. He doesn't return the favor. 
#28 Posted by Cap10nate (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

@SlimJ87D said:

Yep it is canon. Someone asked at a panel during comic con. CBR wrote down everything that happen in that panel.

Bendis just likes to ruin everything. Anything he gets a hands on ruins other writers stories. It's like the guy doesn't check up with other people and everyone has to accommodate his stories in theirs. He doesn't return the favor.

I've always wanted to know how much writers had to change their stories because of what is happening in the Avengers or X-Men flagship titles or because of the other media. I would like to have seen Brubaker's original plans for Cap to see if 'Reborn' was always part of the plan or if that is something that he had to do so Steve Rogers would be around before the movie came out.

#29 Posted by SlimJ87D (10741 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate said:

@SlimJ87D said:

Bendis just likes to ruin everything. Anything he gets a hands on ruins other writers stories. It's like the guy doesn't check up with other people and everyone has to accommodate his stories in theirs. He doesn't return the favor.

I've always wanted to know how much writers had to change their stories because of what is happening in the Avengers or X-Men flagship titles or because of the other media. I would like to have seen Brubaker's original plans for Cap to see if 'Reborn' was always part of the plan or if that is something that he had to do so Steve Rogers would be around before the movie came out.

Steve was suppose to only be dead for 3 or less issues. But sales skyrocketed up thanks to Bucky. That's when they realized that they had a cash cow. Then they made Bucky Captain America and sales skyrocketed again. This can be read in an interview with Brubaker somewhere.

It's all money. You can't blame them though, the comic book industry was suffering for awhile. It's all business and marketing with shock value.

#30 Posted by Cap10nate (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

@SlimJ87D said:

Steve was suppose to only be dead for 3 or less issues. But sales skyrocketed up thanks to Bucky. That's when they realized that they had a cash cow. Then they made Bucky Captain America and sales skyrocketed again. This can be read in an interview with Brubaker somewhere.

It's all money. You can't blame them though, the comic book industry was suffering for awhile. It's all business and marketing with shock value.

That's really interesting. I never knew that he was only supposed to have died for a couple issues. Definitely can't blame them for money making moves. It'd just be neat to see all the deviations from the original plans for a story line.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.