Will Bucky Stay a Good Guy ?

#1 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1244 posts) - - Show Bio

I was wondering if the Winter Soldier (Bucky) will go back to being a bad guy ?

#2 Edited by daredevil21134 (11351 posts) - - Show Bio

He should.But I wonder what will happen to him post Brubaker.

#3 Posted by Cap10nate (2208 posts) - - Show Bio

Brubaker still plans on writing Bucky for a long time in the Winter Soldier series. The only way he would go back to being a bad guy is if he gets brainwashed again like the Soviets did to him in the first place. He is a great hero as he is being written now. It will be interesting to see how he is reintroduced to the Marvel U since all but a few believe him to be dead.

I don't see any reason for him to be written as a bad guy in the future.

#4 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1244 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate: I really hope Marvel keeps him a good guy. I like WS.

#5 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Question:
 Does Bendis hate Bucky?

#6 Posted by Cap10nate (2208 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kid_Omega_Prime: There just really isn't a scenario where he could revert to being a bad guy since he never really was one in the first place. He was a good guy who was brainwashed to do the bad things. Even if he is brainwashed again, he still isn't a bad guy. He is a victim again.

@SandMan_: Why do you say that? I only read a little bit of his writing with Bucky. I just read all of Brubaker's Cap and WS stories and a couple Avengers by Bendis.

#7 Posted by Drummer007 (109 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he will ever go bad again. The next big step for the WS is showing everyone his is alive again. Then they can do a lot more with him in the Marvel Universe. It will be cool to see him as an Avenger or even more as a Secret Avenger.

#8 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

Question: Does Bendis hate Bucky?

Oh god no.

PLEASE.

If Bendis got the reigns to Barnes, I would quit Marvel FOREVER.

#9 Posted by War Killer (20102 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still curious as why this is even being brought up. As far as I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong, Marvel hasn't show any desire to make Bucky a villain again. If anything, it would throw Brubaker's whole first run on Captain America and his current Winter Soldier series out the window due to the fact that it was built up around Bucky's search for redemption due to his past sins.

Not only that, but Bucky's character is more interesting as a hero trying to redeem himself and correct the mistakes he's made, despite whether he was in control of his actions or not. To do a one-eighty and make him a villain again would take away what makes his character so interesting.

#10 Posted by Cap10nate (2208 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer: I was wondering the same thing because as I said earlier, he was never really a bad guy. He was a good guy who was brainwashed to do bad things. Even if he gets brainwashed again, he just becomes a tragic figure and not a true villain. I love how Brubaker has created his character. It is making for an amazing story and setting him up to be a great hero for the future. Reading the Winter Soldier arc of Cap through this new series is my favorite run of any character I have ever read.

#11 Posted by War Killer (20102 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cap10nate said:
@War Killer: I was wondering the same thing because as I said earlier, he was never really a bad guy. He was a good guy who was brainwashed to do bad things. Even if he gets brainwashed again, he just becomes a tragic figure and not a true villain. I love how Brubaker has created his character. It is making for an amazing story and setting him up to be a great hero for the future. Reading the Winter Soldier arc of Cap through this new series is my favorite run of any character I have ever read.
Problem with him being brainwashed again is that it would go against what Brubaker did with him when he became Captain America, as Bucky made sure no one could ever control him again through the help of Tony Stark. So having him suddenly get captured or something and brainwashed would just be a step backwards for Bucky and wouldn't add anything new, or even interesting, to his character.

Though you're right, he's not a full blown villain like the Red Skull or Baron Zemo, he was just a pawn and finally broke free of that control with the help of Cap and now sets out to right the wrongs he's committed. Even if they made Bucky the "villain" in the next Captain America movie for example, he wouldn't really be the villain as there would be a bigger villain controlling him from the background. He would instead be a hero who's lost his way, been manipulated into doing things he himself would never do in his right mind and I think seeing with Bucky deal with the repercussions of those actions and how he goes about dealing with them makes him such an interesting character; having him become just a brainwashed villain who's trying to kill Captain America would take away everything that fans love about the character.
#12 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@RainEffect said:

@SandMan_ said:

Question: Does Bendis hate Bucky?

Oh god no.

PLEASE.

If Bendis got the reigns to Barnes, I would quit Marvel FOREVER.

Its just something that I noticed....
#13 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer: I just went and had a look at that first blog I made when I joined the site that raged about the horrible crime Marvel had committed by killing Bucky in Fear Itself. We were like two schoolboys talking about that episode of Dragonball Z we watched earlier in the morning. xD
#14 Posted by War Killer (20102 posts) - - Show Bio
@RainEffect: Lmbo! We seriously were, heck I can't even remember how many rants I went on because of that, I just remember that it got to the point that I started copying and pasting different rants because I realized I couldn't say it any better than I already had. xD
#15 Posted by SlimJ87D (9601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate said:

@Kid_Omega_Prime: There just really isn't a scenario where he could revert to being a bad guy since he never really was one in the first place. He was a good guy who was brainwashed to do the bad things. Even if he is brainwashed again, he still isn't a bad guy. He is a victim again.

@SandMan_: Why do you say that? I only read a little bit of his writing with Bucky. I just read all of Brubaker's Cap and WS stories and a couple Avengers by Bendis.

@War Killer said:

I'm still curious as why this is even being brought up. As far as I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong, Marvel hasn't show any desire to make Bucky a villain again. If anything, it would throw Brubaker's whole first run on Captain America and his current Winter Soldier series out the window due to the fact that it was built up around Bucky's search for redemption due to his past sins. Not only that, but Bucky's character is more interesting as a hero trying to redeem himself and correct the mistakes he's made, despite whether he was in control of his actions or not. To do a one-eighty and make him a villain again would take away what makes his character so interesting.

Actually Bendis did have the future kid Avengers make a comment about Bucky.

Good version of Maestro (Hulk) and one of the Future kid Avengers make negative comments about Bucky somewhere down the lines of "I hate him" and then Hulk says "Don't worry. He'll get what's coming to him."

This shows evidence that Bendis does have some negative things planned for Bucky if he every got his hands on him which kind of worries me.

#16 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll stay good for sure. I really don't see him turning bad unless he gets brainwashed again or something.

#17 Posted by War Killer (20102 posts) - - Show Bio
@SlimJ87D said:

Actually Bendis did have the future kid Avengers make a comment about Bucky.

Good version of Maestro (Hulk) and one of the Future kid Avengers make negative comments about Bucky somewhere down the lines of "I hate him" and then Hulk says "Don't worry. He'll get what's coming to him."

This shows evidence that Bendis does have some negative things planned for Bucky if he every got his hands on him which kind of worries me.

I don't believe that was Bendis foreshadowing Bucky possibly becoming evil again, I was really sure that was Bendis simply hinted about the Trial of Captain America and with Zemo revealing to the world that Bucky was the Winter Soldier, because a lot of people were pretty upset, such as Hawkeye for example, when that news broke out. With Bucky also "dying" shortly after in Fear Itself could be what Bendis meant with the whole "he'll get want's coming to him" statement as in the mind of the people of the Marvel Universe, Bucky did get what's coming to him as they all believe he is dead.

At least, that's how I read that whole scene.
#18 Posted by Cap10nate (2208 posts) - - Show Bio

Could you imagine the rampage Brubaker would go on if he spends 10 years setting up Bucky to be a great hero, and then Bendis or someone else completely changes/ruins everything he has done.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.