Follow

Bucky Barnes

Character » Bucky Barnes appears in 2102 issues.

Believed dead near the end of World War II only to have been found and brainwashed by the Soviets for the next 50 years, Captain America's former sidekick now continues to defend his country from the shadows against those who would threaten it as legendary spy and assassin, the Winter Soldier. He became the new Captain America to honor his friend Steve and he joined the Avengers. When Steve returned as Captain America, Bucky took on the identity of the Winter Soldier once again.

Well... I'll be damned... - Spoilers -

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By ReVamp

Some time ago, back in the middle of Fear Itself, Marvel killed off Bucky Barnes. Shocking, I know. I'm sure you've never heard of that if you're reading this. /sarcasm. I, was partially skeptical about the death, but since I didn't read Fear Itself, I reserved any judgement and was told by those that did read it that it was legit. I eventually was swayed, I mean there's no way that someone was going to live after getting a hole through their body.

I even swear that I gave the possibility that Nick Fury was somehow behind it and that it could've been an LMD at somepoint. And well... I'll be damned... It was true. I didn't really call it, because whatever I said was pure specualtion but I'm very happy about the current situation. Sure I could put on an act about how it was unecessary to kill him in the first place, or at least do so in a Marvel event and that his death meant nothing then and that it means nothing now. But I honestly don't really care anymore. It'd be an act and that would be it. Bucky Barnes is back and that's really the only thing that I care about. I'm happy. I'm also happy that he's going to get his own solo title and that he's out of the Captain America costume, because he's much more of a badass as the Winter Soldier. I'm sure that some of you might disagree with me about him being the Winter Soldier, because its what he was when he was a Russian agent and that its him when he was bad and that he's good now and this and that. But I disagree. I like him taking up this mantle again too and I'm seeing lots of possibilities in the future for this series.

So. To Conclude this. ReVamp is happy. And Brubaker didn't let Fraction ruin Bucky. Hurrah for me.

Peace.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By daredevil21134

I told you no one stays dead XD

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ReVamp

@daredevil21134 said:

Yeah... You did. I was skeptical about him coming back from the dead, but I did mention that I thought it was possible for him to be a fake :P

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By daredevil21134

@ReVamp said:

@daredevil21134 said:

Yeah... You did. I was skeptical about him coming back from the dead, but I did mention that I thought it was possible for him to be a fake :P

So,is the party at your house lol

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ReVamp

@daredevil21134 said:

@ReVamp said:

@daredevil21134 said:

My house? Dude, I'm renting a whole f**king island!

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By daredevil21134

@ReVamp said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@ReVamp said:

@daredevil21134 said:

My house? Dude, I'm renting a whole f**king island!

Now that's whats up

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ReVamp

Seriously though, this is good. Only problem now is the wait.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By daredevil21134

@ReVamp said:

Seriously though, this is good. Only problem now is the wait.

I'll be waiting

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By fodigg

I really hope the explanation is a bait-and-switch and not a resurrection.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ReVamp

@fodigg said:

Would you like me to full-out spoil it for you?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fodigg

@ReVamp said:

@fodigg said:

Would you like me to full-out spoil it for you?

Give it to me baby.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ReVamp

@fodigg: Well:

Basically Bucky did end up getting hit by that thing. He was hurt and nearly dying. Nick Fury decided to swap him for an LMD and give him the infinity formula, which is what he used to take to have an extended life span. He also used the last one on Bucky. They didn't know whether he was going to live but he eventually pulled through. Only Nick Fury and Natasha knew about this, but then they revealed it to Steve on the day of Bucky's memorial.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By iLLituracy

Remember that one time when I said Bucky's death was much too haphazard and sudden to be taken seriously and that he wasn't really dead and then everyone believed he was dead for the next five months, anyway?

Yeah...me, too.

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Baddamdog

I knew it. So utterly pointless

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fodigg
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ReVamp

@fodigg said:

@ReVamp said:

@fodigg: Well:

I like it. Looks like I'm buying that issue.

Its good. For real. Brubaker doesn't disappoint.

@Baddamdog said:

I knew it. So utterly pointless

>__>

@iLLituracy said:

Remember that one time when I said Bucky's death was much too haphazard and sudden to be taken seriously and that he wasn't really dead and then everyone believed he was dead for the next five months, anyway?

Yeah...me, too.

Yeah... No. I can't take you seriously with that AV, but I love it.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By iLLituracy

@ReVamp: It's because you're a racist bigot. Don't think I've forgotten your racist ways.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By RainEffect
    @ReVamp
    It was an LMD?! What issue says that?

I actually want it to be spoiled because I can't get whatever Fear Itself issue that explains it.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Gambit1024

Lol, yeah I saw that coming. When he "died" there wasn't as much of a "holy sh*t a great hero just died!" moment like there was in Civil War (Bill Foster's death, specifically). They just sort of acknowledged it and that was that.

That and you have the Cap and Bucky title that is clearly told in Bucky's point of view. Seriously, Marvel, if you wanna keep a secret, learn to release titles in chronological order.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

i was told it was an offical major death in 3 thats False Advertising an since my lawyeris out of town on buisness i cant sue them So I must kill Bucky my self >;O

though i am happy hes bk ;3

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ReVamp

@iLLituracy: You're AV's a Caucasian though... >__>

@RainEffect: Fear Itself 7 Point One. Only issue of Fear Itself I got.

@TheCheeseStabber said:

i was told it was an offical major death in 3 thats False Advertising an since my lawyeris out of town on buisness i cant sue them So I must kill Bucky my self >;O

though i am happy hes bk ;3

Not before I find you and kidnap you before :P

@Gambit1024 said:

Lol, yeah I saw that coming. When he "died" there wasn't as much of a "holy sh*t a great hero just died!" moment like there was in Civil War (Bill Foster's death, specifically). They just sort of acknowledged it and that was that.

That and you have the Cap and Bucky title that is clearly told in Bucky's point of view. Seriously, Marvel, if you wanna keep a secret, learn to release titles in chronological order.

Yeah. But I didn't read Cap and Bucky though.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Gambit1024

@ReVamp: Dude..., That book's awesome.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ReVamp

@Gambit1024 said:

@ReVamp: Dude..., That book's awesome.

Eh. I don't think its worth picking it up as singles, but I might look at some TPBs when they come out.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

@ReVamp: last time you kidnapped me i had to save YOU from drowing in a marshmallow fluff vat filled ewith Pirannah shark hybrids

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#24  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Yeah, even though I hadn't read the issue, after I heard he was still alive I tried to figure out how he could fake his death and the LMD popped into my head as well. But I enjoyed the issue and explanation, sure I love Bucky as Cap (no matter what, that will always be my favorite role for him) but I'm warming up to him being Winter Soldier (the cover for issue one is too awesome not to love, am I right? xD).

But I'm not going to lie, while a part of me was ticked that Marvel did all of this just for Steve to become Captain America again, I kinda knew this would be what they were going to do, and no that's not my fanboy "know-it-all" talking, but how Brubaker left off with Bucky setting out on a new mission in the last issue of Cap only to randomly die in Fear Itself, it just didn't add up not to mention that he had just been brought back it would be dumb for Marvel to kill him off again (same way I feel about Thor...who by the way isn't dead for everyone who's freaking out that he's dead...<_<) especially after the fanbase he's created around his character. I will admit though that for a moment I did actually think he was dead, but when I noticed that it was Bucky narrating his own life story in the Cap & Bucky series I realized that he most likely faked his death and knew he was going to return soon.

Overall though, I like where Brubaker's taking Bucky, the whole James Bond meets Splinter Cell is something that can only sound epic and with Brubaker at the helm I know Bucky's in good hands. My only complaint is that Butch Guice is doing the art, I really hate his art and wish they could have gotten a better artist who could still pull off the whole espionage/black ops/007 feel this series is going to have.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Oh also, in Bucky's defense, I take back anything I said about the Winter Soldier persona being too scared or that he shouldn't go back to using a name that was given to him y the Russians because to be fair Black Widow was given her codename by the Russians and did some crappy things as well yet things are working fine for her, so I don't see why Bucky can't do the same...sure, it'll be more difficult I'll admit, but in reality it wasn't the name that did those things to him, it was the people who gave him the name and in a way, not only will Bucky be redeeming himself but he'll be redeeming the Winter Soldier name as well.

But still, my question remains: How long till Bucky's leading the Secret Avengers? xD

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#26  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ReVamp: I think I remember you saying this and me hoping you where right. I like that he is back and not under steve's mantel but I dont like the Winter part of his name, he needs a new one
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ReVamp

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp: I think I remember you saying this and me hoping you where right. I like that he is back and not under steve's mantel but I dont like the Winter part of his name, he needs a new one

Yeah man. I think that the Winter Soldier name is ok though...

@War Killer said:

Oh also, in Bucky's defense, I take back anything I said about the Winter Soldier persona being too scared or that he shouldn't go back to using a name that was given to him y the Russians because to be fair Black Widow was given her codename by the Russians and did some crappy things as well yet things are working fine for her, so I don't see why Bucky can't do the same...sure, it'll be more difficult I'll admit, but in reality it wasn't the name that did those things to him, it was the people who gave him the name and in a way, not only will Bucky be redeeming himself but he'll be redeeming the Winter Soldier name as well. But still, my question remains: How long till Bucky's leading the Secret Avengers? xD

Even though I agree with most ofwhat you said, it'd be redundant to agree with them all individually. The last part is the best though :P

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp: I think I remember you saying this and me hoping you where right. I like that he is back and not under steve's mantel but I dont like the Winter part of his name, he needs a new one

@War Killer said:

Oh also, in Bucky's defense, I take back anything I said about the Winter Soldier persona being too scared or that he shouldn't go back to using a name that was given to him y the Russians because to be fair Black Widow was given her codename by the Russians and did some crappy things as well yet things are working fine for her, so I don't see why Bucky can't do the same...sure, it'll be more difficult I'll admit, but in reality it wasn't the name that did those things to him, it was the people who gave him the name and in a way, not only will Bucky be redeeming himself but he'll be redeeming the Winter Soldier name as well. But still, my question remains: How long till Bucky's leading the Secret Avengers? xD

Even though I agree with most ofwhat you said, it'd be redundant to agree with them all individually. The last part is the best though :P

Yea but the Winter part is referring to Russia
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ReVamp

@spiderbat87: I know, but its become more than that.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@War Killer said:

We have winter in a America, so why does it only have to refer to Russia? :P Not to mention that Ed Brubaker said that in the new series Bucky is going to use the Winter Soldier name to his advantage, using the reputation he gained through the name in the criminal underworld and taking a name that is scared in some ways and actually making the "Winter Soldier" into a name that people will fear because they realize he's a good guy now. It seems that now only will Buck being redeeming himself, he's also going to redeem the Winter Soldier name and take something that was meant for evil and transform it into something that is good instead.

Also, here's the quote from Ed Brubaker in an interview that Dark Huntress posted in a blog:

"And I, you know, thought, the Winter Soldier’s such a—I mean, there’s toys with Bucky as the Winter Soldier and it’s a cool name, you know. And it’s sort of become his identity, and I didn’t want to have to create a new identity for him, or make him become the next Nomad or any of that stuff. He’s haunted by the things he did, but he can’t deny that that stuff actually happened. So he’s taking back that identity because that’s when he shows up at one of those dark corners and some weapons dealer who knew him from 20 years ago sees his face, they’re going to s**t their pants because the Winter Soldier showed up. He’s not going to deny that all this stuff happened, even though he wasn’t in control of it—he’s going to use all of that to his advantage now." - Ed Brubaker

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By RainEffect

After reading Point Seven I can actually say that it is the first Fear Itself issue that is ACTUALLY good. My favourite thing about it was that the writers were finally able to have Natasha show her distraught sadness at Bucky's death.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ReVamp

@War Killer: Damn. Effing right. Though I believe that the origin of the name is what he as talking about.

@RainEffect said:

After reading Point Seven I can actually say that it is the first Fear Itself issue that is ACTUALLY good. My favourite thing about it was that the writers were finally able to have Natasha show her distraught sadness at Bucky's death.

Yeah. And not just that, but show that people actually f***ing cared. LMAO. Because no one cared... Really...

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @ReVamp said:

@War Killer: Though I believe that the origin of the name is what he as talking about.

Eh, either way I don't see really anything wrong it. Black Widow got her name from the Soviets just like Bucky did, sure she's actually Russian, but she still uses the name and everyone seems fine with it. I think after Bucky redeems the Winter Soldier name people will feel the same way, or at least start to.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ReVamp

@War Killer: Yeah, but what I wanted to get at is that hte name Winter Soldier was given to him by the Russians to give the Americans a "taste of what they had to live with" or something along those lines. But don't misinterpert that, I agree wholeheartedly and I like him as the Winder Soldier more than I like him as Cap, Nomad, US Agent or something else.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @ReVamp said:

@War Killer: Yeah, but what I wanted to get at is that hte name Winter Soldier was given to him by the Russians to give the Americans a "taste of what they had to live with" or something along those lines..

What does that mean? Live with what, the deaths he caused as Winter Soldier?
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @War Killer said:
    @spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@War Killer said:

We have winter in a America, so why does it only have to refer to Russia? :P Not to mention that Ed Brubaker said that in the new series Bucky is going to use the Winter Soldier name to his advantage, using the reputation he gained through the name in the criminal underworld and taking a name that is scared in some ways and actually making the "Winter Soldier" into a name that people will fear because they realize he's a good guy now. It seems that now only will Buck being redeeming himself, he's also going to redeem the Winter Soldier name and take something that was meant for evil and transform it into something that is good instead.

Also, here's the quote from Ed Brubaker in an interview that Dark Huntress posted in a blog:

"And I, you know, thought, the Winter Soldier’s such a—I mean, there’s toys with Bucky as the Winter Soldier and it’s a cool name, you know. And it’s sort of become his identity, and I didn’t want to have to create a new identity for him, or make him become the next Nomad or any of that stuff. He’s haunted by the things he did, but he can’t deny that that stuff actually happened. So he’s taking back that identity because that’s when he shows up at one of those dark corners and some weapons dealer who knew him from 20 years ago sees his face, they’re going to s**t their pants because the Winter Soldier showed up. He’s not going to deny that all this stuff happened, even though he wasn’t in control of it—he’s going to use all of that to his advantage now." - Ed Brubaker

Because the Winter part is a reference to Russian Winter military term that's why it's used in the Winter Solider, Winter Guard and Wildstorm's Winter. 
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @spiderbat87 said:
    @War Killer said:
    @spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@War Killer said:

Because the Winter part is a reference to Russian Winter military term that's why it's used in the Winter Solider, Winter Guard and Wildstorm's Winter. 
    Ah, see I did not know this (to be fair, I know very little about Russia's military :P) but still, even if the origin of the name is Russian, Bucky's taking that same name and using it to set fire to the worlds of those who gave him that name and will be going after everything they worked so hard to create. He's taken something that was originally meant for evil and is using it for good. Honestly there's a bit of irony there when you think about it. He's an American soldier who was turned into a Russian super-soldier, who now is going to burn Russia to the ground as an America super-soldier instead. xD
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @War Killer said:
    @spiderbat87 said:
    @War Killer said:
    @spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@War Killer said:

Ah, see I did not know this (to be fair, I know very little about Russia's military :P) but still, even if the origin of the name is Russian, Bucky's taking that same name and using it to set fire to the worlds of those who gave him that name and will be going after everything they worked so hard to create. He's taken something that was originally meant for evil and is using it for good. Honestly there's a bit of irony there when you think about it. He's an American soldier who was turned into a Russian super-soldier, who now is going to burn Russia to the ground as an America super-soldier instead. xD
    I dont think a lot of people realise thats where it comes from
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ReVamp

@spiderbat87 said:

@War Killer said:
    @spiderbat87 said:
    @War Killer said:
    @spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@War Killer said:

Yea but the Winter part is referring to Russia

Because the Winter part is a reference to Russian Winter military term that's why it's used in the Winter Solider, Winter Guard and Wildstorm's Winter.
    I dont think a lot of people realise thats where it comes from

Yeah. That's it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.