TIme for Neo-Bucky?

Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio

During the Golden Age of Comics, one hero stood for the greatest ideals of America. That hero was Captain America. But where would Captain America be without his Bucky? For some, James Buchanan Barnes could be considered the Robin to Steve Rogers' Batman. The quintessential Stalwart companion. With his sassy pants and can-do attitude, Bucky was the idol for the everyday American kid during a time of scary uncertainty. 

Well, here we are, ages later, and James Barnes has outgrown the role of Bucky, and gone from Soviet assassin to taking over the mantle of Cap, to being thrown in a Russian gulag for a while, to (spoilers, spoilerspoilerspoiler) against Sin/Skadi.   

Is there any reason that there can't be a new Bucky? Cap and Bucky are my favorite two-man team in the Marvel U. I don't know if it's all the blue, or if it's the fact they're walking, talking, Nazi-punching, sexy-being machines, but all I know is that I like them more than Batman and Robin (sue me!). 

We had Rikki Barnes for a while, and I personally liked her as a Bucky. I know that Rick Jones dressed up as Bucky once, but I don't know much about that afterwards.  

Should there be a new Bucky? Does Captain America really need a sidekick? And should the role of Bucky be updated?  

To all these things, I would personally say yes. I think that Cap has been a solo act for a while, and the kids have been left to their own devices too long. I want a kid hero separate from the Young Avengers or another team, and I would like to see Cap return to a proper mentor/teacher role.   

Who would this new Bucky be? Would they be a new character entirely? Would they be an already existing character? How old? How young? And what updates would there need be to the role in order for it to succeed? 

I'm hearing the word 'Bucky' over and over in my head already. 
#1 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you want me to move this to Bucky? ;p

#2 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead.: I'll never get any responses. . . but if that's where it needs to be then yes :}  

Also, I never get messages when you comment on my stuff. . . 
#3 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

@TypingKira: Tis fine here if you want :) but maybe add some links to pages

I get that with some people, I think its if you don';t have your set to send pm's to others?

#4 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead.: Oh well now I get a message. . . Got it, I'll add links.  
#5 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
@TypingKira said:
@.Mistress Redhead.: I'll never get any responses. . . but if that's where it needs to be then yes :}   Also, I never get messages when you comment on my stuff. . . 
You think that lowly of the Bucky forums? No wonder you only want the poor guy as Cap's side-kick... XD
#6 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

@TypingKira said:

@.Mistress Redhead.: Oh well now I get a message. . . Got it, I'll add links.

^_^

#7 Posted by Jake Fury (18933 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dracade102: Lol, sorry. It's just that when I post stuff to the forums i stop getting responses :{
#9 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury: See, personally I feel like Patriot already has his own thing going on. But I could see that happening, yeah :}
#10 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't prefer when characters steal other character's name! It just makes it complicated when the former character return to their role and it makes the identity complicated. For example, no one can know what character someone is talking about from Robin or even Batman currently. Characters should be more creative and think of new code names instead of just recycling old ideas. So in this particular case, Bucky should be only be reserved for James Buchanan Barnes.

#11 Posted by Mechanical_Ape (589 posts) - - Show Bio

I normally don't like the idea of a sidekick. It generally just comes across as rather stupid. Captain America is an exception to that though. His character and personality are the type that I think a sidekick works very well. He's a natural leader and role model with a lot that he can teach. As for who, I'm not sure. The original Bucky is too old. Patriot doesn't have enough connection to Steve and he's already too much a part of the Young Avengers team. Rikki or someone entirely new would be good options I think. Rikki was a fun character that already had the connections to him.

#12 Posted by CapFanboy (5332 posts) - - Show Bio

" but all I know is that I like them more than Batman and Robin (sue me!)." YES! Sorry, extreme hatred for Batman aside....The biggest reason Cap needed a Bucky was for buck to do all the killing and leave Cap as a symbol. I also see it sort of awkward with the stories I imagine we'll see cap in in his new run having to watch out for a kid at the same time as running the world.

#13 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio

There doesn't need to be a Bucky.Sidekicks are a thing of the past.It's proven that the hero can operate on his own.

#14 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@CapFanboy: Well I like batman. . . just not as much as cap. That's the thing though, look at the young avengers -- they know what they're doing. A capable enough Bucky wouldn't need to be watched. Cap is always watching out for teammates anyway, it wouldn't be any different.  

#15 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see a need for one, Rikki even graduated from that schtick before she...(I think the writers realized the backwardness of her being in a sidekick mantle while she no longer had a hero to be attached too?). One of the great things about the writing on Captain America is within the series at least they don't seem to do things without warrant (though the brass may have other plans for that, cough), and a Bucky suddenly being there doesn't seem to fit the current storyline in any way. I think that writers should try as much as possible to put things in stories " when they need to be there ".
Outside all that I'm looking foreward to reading the upcoming past escapades of Barnes as Bucky in CA, more so now after seeing the delish looking previews for it.

See, your getting responses! ^_^

#16 Posted by The Impersonator (5555 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the idea of a sidekick. A hero may need a sidekick in toughest battles or missions. Well, not of all the heroes. It depends of what kind of characters they are.  You may never know what kind of villains and events you will face up against. I also prefer the old Bucky. He did became Captain America for a while there. We all know who's responsible for his Winter Soldier persona. But I hope he becomes the iconic hero again. Or the old Bucky needs to get a little bit updated.

#17 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATPANEXE: Well yeah, I didn't necessarily mean NOW, per se. But I do see your point, and you're right, nothing that shouldn't be there should be added.  

And yes, Bucky looks rather lovely ;D  

@The Impersonator: I dont' think old Bucky should be. . . um. . . Bucky. . . again, personally. But again, you have a point. 
#18 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@TypingKira: Perhaps Spider-Girl could take Rikki's place... They were best friends (I think.) and they were both super heroes with no super powers...  It could be her way to honor Rikki...
#19 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't something happen to Rikki in the Onslaught series?

#20 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir: I think she died.  

@Timandm: As Bucky or as Nomad?  
#21 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@TypingKira said:

As either... She's certainly capable...
#22 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm said:
@TypingKira said:

As either... She's certainly capable...
I actually think you're on to something. 
#23 Posted by War Killer (20343 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't think there should be a new Bucky, mainly because Bucky's really less of a code-name and is literally just James Barnes' name, everyone refers to him as Bucky or Bucky-Cap while only a select few (honestly only Black Widow) calls him by his real first name "James". Bucky was a nickname he was given and it really just stuck with him when he became Cap's partner/sidekick. Honestly I think it would just get awkward if Cap was running around with some kid named Bucky while ALSO having friend called Bucky as well, just gets confusing.

As for should Cap have a new sidekick? For the longest time I was really hoping Marvel would make Nomad (Rikki Barnes) Bucky's sidekick while he was Cap, I could see them having a whole little sis/big bro relationship with one another, plus she already had began forming a bound with Black Widow in her back-feature so I could have totally seen them having a whole family dynamic together. Along with that, they could have Nomad join the Young Avengers kinda like how Robin was on Teen Titans while also being Batman's sidekick. I'm sure many would probably disagree with me on this, but really I think Marvel could have done so much with these characters and could have done something new with them, but it seems as if they could careless and are just going back to the same old, same old... -__-

#24 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33906 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
I really don't think there should be a new Bucky, mainly because Bucky's really less of a code-name and is literally just James Barnes' name, everyone refers to him as Bucky or Bucky-Cap while only a select few (honestly only Black Widow) calls him by his real first name "James". Bucky was a nickname he was given and it really just stuck with him when he became Cap's partner/sidekick. Honestly I think it would just get awkward if Cap was running around with some kid named Bucky while ALSO having friend called Bucky as well, just gets confusing.  As for should Cap have a new sidekick? For the longest time I was really hoping Marvel would make Nomad (Rikki Barnes) Bucky's sidekick while he was Cap, I could see them having a whole little sis/big bro relationship with one another, plus she already had began forming a bound with Black Widow in her back-feature so I could have totally seen them having a whole family dynamic together. Along with that, they could have Nomad join the Young Avengers kinda like how Robin was on Teen Titans while also being Batman's sidekick. I'm sure many would probably disagree with me on this, but really I think Marvel could have done so much with these characters and could have done something new with them, but it seems as if they could careless and are just going back to the same old, same old... -__-
Damn, you just wrote every thing I had planed on posting
#25 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

dude ever since I saw this cover for the Nomad mini series, I've been praying (not literally) for her and Cap to become the new duo. I've gotta write Brubaker or something.

#26 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@DMC said:

dude ever since I saw this cover for the Nomad mini series, I've been praying (not literally) for her and Cap to become the new duo. I've gotta write Brubaker or something.

Well, they'll have to bring her back from the dead... But, yes, she SHOULD be Bucky... She SO should.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.