Follow

Bucky Barnes

Character » Bucky Barnes appears in 2102 issues.

Believed dead near the end of World War II only to have been found and brainwashed by the Soviets for the next 50 years, Captain America's former sidekick now continues to defend his country from the shadows against those who would threaten it as legendary spy and assassin, the Winter Soldier. He became the new Captain America to honor his friend Steve and he joined the Avengers. When Steve returned as Captain America, Bucky took on the identity of the Winter Soldier once again.

Off My Mind: What's Next For Bucky Barnes?

• 129 results
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#51  Edited By Lvenger

That is a great idea but from the teaser to Fear Itself #3 Bucky will be back in the US as Captain America and there has been talk, not that I believe it though of Bucky getting killed off soon which to me is stupid as it deprives Marvel of a great character

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @A_O_N said:
    " NO U.S. Agent is a terrible idea. What when Walker wants his identity back? If Bucky doesn't get to be Cap then he needs to make up a new identity, not take someone else's again. "
    Isn't Walker handicapped?
    emmbro30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By emmbro30
    @chalkshark said:
    "
                    I'd rather see him take on the mantle of Nomad.
                "

I agree.  Especially since he was the one to kill the original.  It could be his form of depemption and a constant reminder of his past all rolled into one.  Also I wish they would give Fury his job back.
    shanagn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By shanagn7

i've been thinking also that he might get put into the nomad identity just for the fact that if he escaped the from the gulag to be apart of fear itself that action would make him a fugitive from both the russian and american goverments thats what warden said in the begining chapter of the gulag storyline anyway
    slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By slimj87d

I already posted up my theories. I think Bucky is going to be Bucky and he's going to be traveling around in Europe putting down some criminal kingpin that he will learn about in Russia Prison.

He's not going to have a persona, he's going to be brutally interrogating people. 
    A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#56  Edited By A_O_N
    @CATPANEXE:@Vance Astro:  Yes I know he's handicapped and that is the status quo for now. But it can certainly change two, three years from now. I don't want Bucky be in the same position as he is in right now again!
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think Captain America should adopt Bucky. Buck Rogers would be an instant hit.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By Fantasgasmic

I hate dupe characters. To me a dupe is either multiple characters with the same identity (like the spiderwomen, flashes, and now batmen) and also ripoff characters (Thunderstrike, Beta Ray Bill, US Agent, Power Girl, Namora/Namorita). In fact, that was the topic of my first forum post: Give 'Em the Boot: Characters who should be gotten rid of. I think US Agent is pointless, and Bucky deserves better. I do like the idea of him being Nomad. Something about a man without a country, wandering stranger, etc. seems to fit the mood for how he was left at the end of his trial.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#59  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I really wish Bucky could stay on as Cap but that's def not going to happen so if there not going to kill him (witch I think they will) then the US Agent identity would be awesome for him. give the suit a little redesign and have him do some espionage like Steve did in Super Solider and it would be awesome.

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Sammo21

Very cool notion.  I am slightly sad though that his run as Cap was so short lived.  I really like Steve in his current role/costume/attitude and would love to see him run with it for a few more years.  Same with Bucky...though a take on US Agent could be pretty cool...with a new costume obviously.

KJPPPimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By KJPPPimp

If Bucky survives Fear Itself, which previews have me doubting (so upset) and Steve is back in costume, they might as well swap Avengers teams. Brubaker has kind of made it a point to show that Bucky isn't really cut out for the whole secret identity deal and, even though the whole Steve as top cop thing is awesome him personally leading a black-ops team of Avengers doesn't really feel right. I say have Buck as field leader of the Secret Avengers and an agent of SHIELD, or whatever its called now, and put him back in the seedy corners of the Marvel Universe where he kicks the most ass. Steve can take his place on the main team to have the holy trinity of him, Thor, and Iron Man proper and still give orders.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Primmaster64

hmmm

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By Night Thrasher

My first thought before even reading this was: U.Sagent or Nomad

Iron_Lad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Iron_Lad

What's next for Bucky? I feel like he's going to get bludgeoned to death by a hammer, but that's just me.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#65  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Kairan1979 said:
    " I think he must start working for Nick Fury, fighting against HYDRA and Leviathan. "
    I was actually thinking that would make the most sense, he'd get a new identity and start working with Fury to stop different terrorist cells around the world.
    Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By They Killed Cap!

Good article...I hope they kill him...he would be good as US Agent and actually make relevant to me.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c97835f97617
    deactivated-5c97835f97617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I was thinking about Bucky becoming USAgent back when Who Will Wield the Shield? (easy for you to say!) was going on

obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By obscurefan

I hate saying this, but after reading Marvel this last year I would bet money that Bucky is going back in the grave by the end of the summer. Which stinks because there is something to him being Cap and Steve being the new Super Cop of the whole planet, it almost seems like both of them have achieved their destinies.

bjmorga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By bjmorga

All the scuttle butt out of Fear Itself indicates that Barnes is the one who bites it in issue #3. I think he has an appointment with Marvel's rotating door known as death.

Which kind of stinks. I think Bucky has become Captain America. I know I may be in the minority on this, but Steve Rogers has always seemed too clean cut and cookie cutter American. He lacks pizzazz. Bucky has just so thoroughly gone through the gauntlet. I've enjoyed reading him.

Steve may have been given the keys to the kingdom from the beginning, but Bucky has earned it.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By sparty-dbq

After seeing both the standard and variant covers for Fear Itself #3 today, I'm really starting to feel like Bucky might die in that issue. Since "Cap and Bucky" is all flashback and Steve's taking back thev shield, we have no idea where Bucky's gonna be when Fear Itself is over, so I feel like this could be it for him.  If that happens, I'm ****ing done with Marvel.  They take a huge risk in letting Brubaker shake the CA status quo by bringing Bucky back from the dead, and it paid off big time.  Now, not even five years later, they seem to be undoing it all.  And why?  By Marvel's own admission, it's because of the goddamn movie.  They're letting their movie release schedule dictate their comic continuity, and that's just beyond stupid.

AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By AskaniSon295

He can start a new Liberty Legion With Him Ronin(Echo), Daken, X-23, Skarr and War Machine.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#72  Edited By DMC

Poor John Walker....he's out of a job

Bucky as U.S Agent? Sounds good to me, but are there any other options?
    Whatever happens next, his "Captain Bucky" suit will more than likely be no more and that's a shame. In a lot of ways I like it better than Steve's Cap costume....a little bit.

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#73  Edited By frogjitsu

I hope he gets his own identity, if he's not going to be Cap.  I'm tired of the sidekicks always getting the shaft when the originals inevitably come back.  But what every they do, I hope they don't kill him again.  That would be so lame.  It makes it seem like the creators were like,  "Oh let's bring Bucky back alive after 50 years, just to kill him again!  That will be brilliant!"  What would be the point of endearing a whole new generation of fans to such an old character, just to shelve him again?  Let him get some spotlight, geesh!

gordocomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By gordocomics
    @karrob said:
    " @gordocomics said:
    " i really do think he's going to die. "
     I have the same feeling too. Smh "
    i actually don't have a bad feeling about it, but i think it will happen. I love bucky, but i think fraction/brubaker could give him a really good death that would make for a good story.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#75  Edited By Bestostero

a whole new identity

GothamBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#76  Edited By GothamBat

I always liked Bucky as Captain America. As much as I love Steve Rogers, he is the original, I like him better doing what he's doing now, or was doing. Being the head of the Avengers or whatever the job title is.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ssejllenrad

Bucky could assume the role of Red Hood... :D

spystreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#78  Edited By spystreak

they could write him out of the Marvel Universe along with Daken
    Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#79  Edited By Darkmount1

Well, don't just sit there! Send the US Agent idea to Marvel already!!!
    SirSparkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By SirSparkington

I really hope that they do something with him. I've really grown to like Bucky over the last few years. It would suck if he fell into the comic book abyss.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @DMC said:
    " Poor John Walker....he's out of a job Bucky as U.S Agent? Sounds good to me, but are there any other options?Whatever happens next, his "Captain Bucky" suit will more than likely be no more and that's a shame. In a lot of ways I like it better than Steve's Cap costume....a little bit. "
    If he's not Cap anymore, I would like to see him pick up the U.S.Agent identity, but no matter what I do hope that his new costume is just a redesign of his Cap costume.

@frogjitsu
    said:
    " I hope he gets his own identity, if he's not going to be Cap.  I'm tired of the sidekicks always getting the shaft when the originals inevitably come back.  But what every they do, I hope they don't kill him again.  That would be so lame.  It makes it seem like the creators were like,  "Oh let's bring Bucky back alive after 50 years, just to kill him again!  That will be brilliant!"  What would be the point of endearing a whole new generation of fans to such an old character, just to shelve him again?  Let him get some spotlight, geesh! "
    Exactly! And the lamest part would be that it is all for a two freakin' hour movie and ONLY for that reason..... -__-
    Captainthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Captainthunder

New name American eagle costume similar to blue falcon.

No Caption Provided
    Metro_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#83  Edited By Metro_Man

He needs to go off and do his own thing. Become his own man. Stop living in Steve's shadow. I never wanted Bucky to be Captain America... Just like I never wanted Dick Grayson to be Batman.  US Agent could work, or something new.
    g33ky monk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#84  Edited By g33ky monk3y

I'm not fond of the U.S. Agent costume, or the name. Winter Soldier sounds cool, but I'm pretty sure he won't go back to that name. The costume was simple and cool too.

Who knows? In any case, it will be interesting because everything involving Bucky's current character development has been awesome.

skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By skaarason

wow looks like ive missed a lot !

perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By perry_411

He could be the next Hawkeye, seeing as they're making Clint FREAKING BLIND.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#87  Edited By lorex

US Agent seems a good fit for Buckey.

While I doubt he will become the Winter Soldier again I do like the Idea of a secret agent lurking around in the shadows for 40+ years.

Avatar image for blacklightning13
    Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Blacklightning13

For me it comes down to what Steve is doing. I think he suited being director of SHIELD when he was captain Steve rogers but if he's captain America again i think they should kick him out and this is how they should do it. Put him into a coma because of what happened to Steve when everyone thought he was dead then while he's in the coma put Dum Dum Dugan in charge then just as he gets back to being the leader of SHIELD cap quits choosing to lead the Avengers and help train a new group of Young Avengers. He will continue being an agent of SHIELD and they should do what they did with Ms Marvel during the Initiative which is give him a mini carrier and a bunch of SHIELD agents who all have white stars on there shoulders and backs along with a right breast mini USA flag (yes i know its super patriot and i personally hate it but it's Captain America's team). Just to show he is still very high on the chain of command put him as a level 9 agent and maybe do a couple of comics where he and black widow (also a level 9) are in charge of SHIELD during a disaster.
    So once you have Steve sorted out start on Bucky. I think he should be the new U.S. Agent but give him a more soldier/agent looking uniform with no mask except always has sunglasses on so he is harder to recognize (even in the dark because they are super glasses that have night vision, telescopic vision etc). Because of this army look he can be very winter soldier like but can take a non-Russian brain washed name and keep a sort of Captain America look. Also with a covert look comes a covert job as the new leader of the secret Avengers.

Of course i would just prefer Steve to be top cop and Bucky to be Captain America and as obscurefan pointed out its sort of like there destinies. But i would like even more then that is for entire reeranging of the last 2 1/2 years of Marvel so that Bucky is a more important character for longer before becoming Captain America so that he can become less violent, more superman and less batman. But i think because of all the events of siege and the dark reign they were doing a pretty good job but wait oh look at that they are going to give the shield back to Steve and kill Bucky! i mean come on?! hasn't there been enough change i actually got tired of events the Civil War was just brilliant absolutely fantastic but then i think they threw in WWH to early and kind of over hiped Hulks power hes strong but honestly? not that strong. Then the secret war wasn't half bad except for some of the replaces of people. But the dark reign was fabulous in some places shit in others but I think the main thing for me was it went on for to long and then finally Siege was great. So now that everything is back to normal (not really normal but theres no huge events happening every 2 minutes) but now there killing people again? I think they should just leave it as it is.

weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By weaponmaster

Retirement. Someone with the name Bucky should just go away. Too dated and lame.
    Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#90  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

Whats next? DEATH of BUCKY

DKing_CiCADA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By DKing_CiCADA

I  want Bucky to stay as Cap, I feel like if steve goes back it will be a downgrade. It would be like if Nick Fury decided to be a super hero and put on a costume 

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

it would be cool if he became the new falcon
    wont happen though

Blackreverend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#93  Edited By Blackreverend

I also thought of Bucky becoming the USAgent and love that idea.

He's too interesting a character now to just leave in some gulag!

I would like to see him join Captain Britain, Red Guardian and Michael Pointer as the new Major Mapleleaf on a team lead by T'challa as the Black Panther! Basically replace the New Avengers with the International Avengers... there's a title I would read and spend money on!

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By goldenkey

My guess is he might just be Bucky still, working for SHIELD or become Nomad.  I could see him as Nomad if ends up being by himself.  Makes enough sense.
    Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#95  Edited By Yung ANcient One

i would prefer for him to become a new Hero...

new costume new name

(+)

Band Lone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Band Lone

I want the winter soldier back -__-

xanthiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By xanthiss

NOMAD!!! 

xanthiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By xanthiss

Without the baby.

34t efsdfs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By 34t efsdfs

Nomad, Winter Soldier (they can make it work), US Agent...he might even be the American Panther (I think the American Panther idea is ridiculous, but if there's going to be one he might as well be an actual American).

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @goldenkey said:
    " My guess is he might just be Bucky still, working for SHIELD or become Nomad.  I could see him as Nomad if ends up being by himself.  Makes enough sense. "
    @xanthiss said:
    " NOMAD!!!  "
    Rikki Barnes is currently using that codename....

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.