Marvel Reveals Details on Brubaker's WINTER SOLDIER 2012 Series

• 79 results
Posted by G-Man (30645 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully by now, you've heard the news. This might be a little spoilery if you haven't read this week's comics but Marvel has released details about Ed Brubaker's WINTER SOLDIER series. If you haven't read FEAR ITSELF #7.1, you might want to stop reading this, go read that issue and then come back.

Recently we saw that teaser for "What if there wasn't only one?" The single red star immediately reminded us of Bucky as the Winter Soldier. I brought up the recent revelation that there were other Winter Soldier sleeper agents and it looks like Brubaker is going to tie up that loose end.

Besides Ed Brubaker, Butch Guice and Bettie Breitweiser will also be on board as part of the creative team! Lee Bermejo will be the cover artist and check out the cover to issue #1.

So the secret is out. Bucky is back. HOW?!? Read FEAR ITSELF #7.1. You won't regret it. Bucky has to deal with those sleeper agents because he has information on them locked in his brain.

This is me trying to create a book that is James Bond meets Splinter Cell in the Marvel Universe. -Ed Brubaker

That right there, is all the information I need to know to be on board for this series.

== TEASER ==

More details were given during Marvel's Liveblog. Only Captain America, Nick Fury and Black Widow know Bucky is still alive.

That's not to say he will not encounter other Marvel characters, but it will be in the shadows. If people know Bucky is still alive, that's a problem for Cap too, who knows he's doing stuff not exactly to the letter of the law. -Tom Brevoort

I'll update this with more information later. Who's excited? I sure am!!

Update

Bucky and Black Widow will be the Mr. and Mrs. Smith of the Marvel Universe.

There's a scene in Winter Soldier #2 that is my favorite Nick Fury scene I've ever written. He's one of my favorite characters.

This is really my Marvel dream. I got to write Captain America and bring Bucky back, now I'm writing my ultimate Marvel spy book with Bucky, Black Widow and Nick Fury.

-Ed Brubaker

WINTER SOLDIER will be an ongoing series. Ed will continue as a consultant on CAPTAIN AMERICA & BUCKY.

Staff
#1 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
I'm behind this book. Bru hasn't done wrong in his Cap run for 7 years in a row now. Great covers, too.
#2 Posted by daredevil21134 (10862 posts) - - Show Bio

Awsome covers.Should be an interesting read

#3 Posted by Billy Batson (57764 posts) - - Show Bio

Lee and his amazing covers.
BB

#4 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't keep a good Buck down. :)

#5 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Brubaker is amazing, and by definition then THIS will be amazing.

#6 Posted by ThexX (1559 posts) - - Show Bio

Onboard can't what for this book.

#7 Posted by danhimself (22286 posts) - - Show Bio

I read "Brubaker" and I was on board

#8 Posted by Gordo789 (201 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Bucky, this should be awesome.

#9 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2233 posts) - - Show Bio

So Bucky is pretending to have died during Fear Itself? And that is why no one really seemed upset during his death? Its all a cover up to allow him to tie up covert loose ends?

#10 Posted by Kairan1979 (16711 posts) - - Show Bio

Winter Soldier is back? Awesome!

#11 Posted by SeanNOLA (75 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

I'm behind this book. Bru hasn't done wrong in his Cap run for 7 years in a row now. Great covers, too.

Agree. I should be able to +1 this post.

#12 Posted by LordRequiem (1309 posts) - - Show Bio

He survived? By some miraculous circumstance I'm sure, he's only human after all.

#13 Posted by Omegalpha (61 posts) - - Show Bio

This is now my most anticipated title. Awesomeness to the MAX!

#14 Posted by progenitor (7532 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm definitely on board with this, and so glad Bucky isn't lost in the limbo of dead characters again.

#15 Posted by PowerPlug (1328 posts) - - Show Bio

well... i do like a good spy comic...

#16 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

so glade to hear james is back !!!

i picked up the issue yesterday but havent been able to check it out yet

#17 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait. Bucky has become a favorite of mine since Brubaker brought him back. Plus, Winter Soldier is badass!

#18 Posted by Daycrawler (552 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, I woulda commented sooner on just how AWESOME this is, but I'd passed out from excitement!

#19 Edited by War Killer (19983 posts) - - Show Bio

O____O

BOO TO THE FREAKIN' BOO-YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I take back anything bad I ever said about Bucky's Winter Soldier persona, because he looks freakin' wicked in those covers and I can't wait to get this series!!!! ^___^

Now the question remains...how long until he joins Secret Avengers? xD

Also:

This is me trying to create a book that is James Bond meets Splinter Cell in the Marvel Universe. -Ed Brubaker

This pretty much sold this series for me!!! ^_________^
#20 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

My Hype meter's at its maximum.

#21 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
That's a pretty sweet idea. He'd fit in with the group very well. Much better than some other members, actually.
#22 Edited by War Killer (19983 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:

@War Killer said:

That's a pretty sweet idea. He'd fit in with the group very well. Much better than some other members, actually.
Agreed, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if sometime during mid to late 2012 we learn he'll be joining the team roster alongside others like Black Widow, Ant-Man, and Venom! ^_^

@ReVamp

said:

My Hype Meter exploded like two minutes ago....they're still finding pieces of it two States over :P
#23 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer: I have no idea if Remender likes him, but that would be an interesting question to pose, in case anyone can ask him.
#24 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

@ReVamp

said:

My Hype Meter exploded like two minutes ago....they're still finding pieces of it two States over :P

States? Pfff, you n00b. When mine explodes it'll be found in another continent. That'll be when they announce that he's a member of Secret Avengers, because lets face it, he's made for that.

• Clint Barton
  • Bucky Barnes
  • Black Widow
  • War Machine
  • Valkyrie
  • Ant-Man
  • Venom

The Secret Avengers. I can already see it.

#25 Posted by the_fallen11 (636 posts) - - Show Bio

im all about this

#26 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

YES, YES, OH GOD YES!

#27 Posted by sora_thekey (8152 posts) - - Show Bio

It used to be Hawkeye and Mockingbird... Then that went nowhere! I wish they were still together.

Either way, Winter Soiler sounds awesome!

#28 Posted by War Killer (19983 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:

HECK YES!!!! ^_^
#29 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG YES :D

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

#30 Posted by Baconbot (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait!

#31 Posted by daredevil21134 (10862 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

@War Killer said:

I thought DD would be good on secret Avengers too

#32 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

In Bru we trust.

#33 Posted by cacarl (138 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking good, Jason To...oh, wait...

#34 Posted by The Impersonator (5020 posts) - - Show Bio

This series is gonna be awesome!

#35 Posted by fACEmelter88 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmmmmmm, sounds good.

#36 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

marvel done right by a good character. there is hope.

#37 Posted by RScottH08 (249 posts) - - Show Bio

Never been a huge CA fan, but always had a interest in the Bucky character, especially as Winter Soldier. Maybe this is the perfect time to get into it, and if you all dont mind me askin, is there any recomended reading of him to get caught up on his history.

#38 Posted by sueesidale (22 posts) - - Show Bio

seems pretty intresting

#39 Posted by DMC (1550 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

IMO. Bucky should be leading the Secret Avengers. No offense but IMO he would have been a more, much more interesting choice than Hawkeye..........

But now that I think about it, joining the SA, probably wouldn't be the best idea. He needs to be as far away from Rogers as possible so as to not cause any problems.

Not that it couldn't be done but if he did, he'd need a different roster. Besides Black Widow he would needs to be surrounded with people who aren't affiliated with Steve, are good at disappearing and of course people who can keep their mouth shut. Basically, people who are "off the grid" like him. It would have to be a small team, 5 at the most.

#40 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

Hey War Killer.... Agent Venom and Winter Soldier on the same team...... picture it. :D

#41 Posted by Ulviar (29 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been waiting for something like this since Fear Itself #3. This comic is going to be a must-read!

#42 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

Hey War Killer.... Agent Venom and Winter Soldier on the same team...... picture it. :D

So. Much. Bad assery. *Head explodes*

#43 Posted by bunkerbuster05 (303 posts) - - Show Bio

Brubaker can write anything regarding Cap or Bucky and I'll love it. So excited he's back.

#44 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

#45 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

Good bucky is an awsome character who deserves his own series.

#46 Posted by Morgaine_Levesque (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

@iLLituracy said:

@Morpheus_ said:

#47 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

I just recently bought that Captain America omnibus and can't wait to read it...

Captain America #1 - #50... wow!

Ed Brubaker + Steve Epting = E.P.I.C.

#48 Posted by NyxEquitis (401 posts) - - Show Bio

Brubaker had me at: "This is me trying to create a book that is James Bond meets Splinter Cell in the Marvel Universe."

#49 Posted by UpUpAndAway (192 posts) - - Show Bio

YEEESSS!!!!!!

#50 Posted by kennybaese (1097 posts) - - Show Bio

The Bermejo cover looks amazing. As much good as I've heard about Brubaker's Cap run, I'm kind of hesitant to jump in now, I feel like I'm a little far behind.

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and commit a weekend to it or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.