Is Bucky Alive? O_o

#1 Edited by War Killer (20152 posts) - - Show Bio

CAPTAIN AMERICA & BUCKY #624
Written by ED BRUBAKER & MARC ANDREYKO
Penciled by CHRIS SAMNEE
Cover by ED McGUINNESS
The final chapter in Cap and Bucky's first arc is here, completing the retelling of Bucky's early days with a heartbreaking tale of the Winter Soldier and Black Widow in the 1950s, and our secret narrator is finally revealed - as are the things that tie this series to current continuity.
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

"our secret narrator is finally revealed - as are the things that tie this series to current continuity."?

If you haven't read the first issue of Captain America & Bucky (well technically it's issue #620) it's basically a flashback of Bucky' origin which is seemingly narrated by Bucky as he recalls his past. So it's kinda obvious who this "secret narrator" is but how does it tie the series to current continuity? The narrator tells the story as if he's recalling it to us from the present, but Bucky is dead....or is he? <_< Anyone else get the feeling that we're going to find out that Bucky is actually alive and has be narrating his past to us this whole time from the present? Just an interesting thought had, let me know what the rest of you guys think! ^_^
#2 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13012 posts) - - Show Bio

dude dont torture yourself like this......there have been stories narrated by dead people before (not that i actually remember any)

#3 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't think Marvel would bring Bucky back from a 70 year death only to have him killed again 5 years later. Bucky's fine, but I would like to see where he is and what he's up to. 

#4 Edited by War Killer (20152 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

dude dont torture yourself like this......there have been stories narrated by dead people before (not that i actually remember any)

Um, I'm not. I saw this and was simply coming  up with a theory since that's what we geeks do on here, we come up with ways and try to guess what will happen next in the comics. And I understand that, but my point was that if you read the issue #620 the narrator is speaking of Bucky's past as his own, so it's obviously Bucky narrating, but the fact that it's apparently going to be "secret" throughout the whole story arc and that they will show where these stories tie into current Captain America stories is what leads me to believe that we may find out that it's been Bucky who's actually alive in the present who's been retelling his past. At least I think that would be pretty cool and it would he's alive.

@Gambit1024

said:

I really don't think Marvel would bring Bucky back from a 70 year death only to have him killed again 5 years later. Bucky's fine, but I would like to see where he is and what he's up to. 

Not to mention Ed Brubaker left plots open for Bucky but he died before he could go into them so it doesn't make sense to create the idea of future stories for a character knowing that they're going to die if you weren't going to bring them back.
#5 Posted by Talon/X23 (10489 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm well when you put it that way the odds do point to Bucky being alive, and like Gambit1024 said it dose sound silly for him to actually be dead for only being alive for such a short amount of time. I have no clue how it might tie in but if it dose and shows that Bucky still is alive, I know it'd be an epic weaving of plots together not even thinking about if he's alove what would happen next. But I guess we'll see.

#6 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

I have faith that Brubaker wouldn't just allow Bucky to be axed like that. I never thought he was dead forever.

#7 Posted by SlimJ87D (9720 posts) - - Show Bio

This 

This is after Thor fought Hulk and Thing... it's either a strange inconsistency or our familiar friend there is still alive :D 
#8 Edited by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

That is a horrible cover. Both Natasha and James look like they're sixteen years old.
Nonetheless, I will certainly buy it if it is a story about the two of them written by Brubaker. Dead or not, Brubaker can still make wonders out of horrible story arcs (Fear Itself).

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@SlimJ87D: Ha! I didn't even notice that when I read it. Nice find.
#10 Posted by SlimJ87D (9720 posts) - - Show Bio
@RainEffect: They are both very young though. Remember this is when Bucky trained her and he was quite young as well. They both may be 21 to 26 years old. 

@Gambit1024: This has happened before where issues give away what is suppose to happen in the main storyline. I have seen it on 2 occasions, this might be the 3rd. I just don't recall the other times I saw something like this happen. 
#11 Posted by War Killer (20152 posts) - - Show Bio
@SlimJ87D said:
This 
 This is after Thor fought Hulk and Thing... it's either a strange inconsistency or our familiar friend there is still alive :D 
Until Bucky's actually up and fighting in the main series alongside the rest of the Avengers, I'm going to have to blame that as an artistic error. Good find though. Where's that from anyways, Iron Man? O_o

@RainEffect said:
That is a horrible cover. Both Natasha and James look like they're sixteen years old. Nonetheless, I will certainly buy it if it is a story about the two of them written by Brubaker. Dead or not, Brubaker can still make wonders out of horrible story arcs (Fear Itself).
Currently a junior in high school, I've seen some pretty buff guys who play sports at my school but none of them look like Bucky there, so I don't see how he looks like a sixteen year old. As for Widow, the only reason would probably be because she doesn't have massive boobs in that one image :P But if this is when they first met, Bucky should still be in his early twenties and Nat should still be around his age or even younger so I guess that could be why they look so young. But honestly Bucky looks like he's always looked in that image...plus I personally like that cover xD
#12 Posted by Mercy_ (92686 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been Dvelopibg a theory. This supports it.

#13 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

dvelopibg?.... interesting :p
#14 Posted by War Killer (20152 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
Mind sharing? :D
#15 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7714 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if he isn't around and kicking at the moment, just give it a year or so.

#16 Edited by Dernman (14975 posts) - - Show Bio

I know the real reason they killed Bucky. They hate Jason Tod. Everyone knows whatever happens in a Batman book happens in a CA book and visa versa.
They want the Red Hood dead.

#17 Posted by Loki9876 (3016 posts) - - Show Bio

hm i would like it that he lives

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33093 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer: I might be remembering this wrong but but wasnt there an interview about CA & B where it was confirmed that it was Bucky narrating his story? 

Any ways I like this theory, I might give Marvel some "slight" forgiveness if it turns out Buckys death was some how faked so he can go back to doing undercover and wetwork.
#19 Posted by daredevil21134 (11553 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as he's not Cap,I don't mind him being alive

#20 Posted by War Killer (20152 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87: I had a similar theory that it was possible Bucky and Steve actually planned Bucky's "death" to win the public over and show that Bucky truly was a hero. And if you read Captain America #619 and how there's a huge gap between it it and the time Bucky pops up in D.C. as Cap in Fear Itself, there's a short period of time that we have no idea what happened which Brubaker could use as a loophole in the future if he wanted.

@Dernman said:
I know the real reason they killed Bucky. They hate Jason Tod. Everyone knows whatever happens in a Batman book happens in a CA book and visa versa. They want the Red Hood dead.
That has been a common thing lately with Batman and Cap seemingly copying each others ideas. But if that was true, Jason Todd is currently alive and is getting his own freakin' series for the reboot, so if what you say is right, should Bucky be getting his own series as well? O_o
#21 Posted by harleyquinn12 (1767 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
As long as he's not Cap,I don't mind him being alive

This. But if he does come back, I want Chris Samnee to draw that issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.