Bucky sounds like he's in trouble. Sounds like good bye... :(

#1 Posted by SlimJ87D (8896 posts) - - Show Bio
http://marvel.wikia.com/Captain_America_Vol_1_617  
  
  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.

I just read the solocite for Captain America 617, and it sounds like there isn't going to be a Captain America anymore, but that sounds weird and impossible. Bucky will be Captain America and fight Batroc in March in Batroc's series. If they take the Uniform away from Bucky, I'm going to be really sad. But it sounds like something is happening since the Captain America movie is going to come out soon.
#2 Posted by War Killer (19473 posts) - - Show Bio

This may just be the aftermath as a result of what happens in Trial of Captain America, but the fact that Bucky's still Cap and Steve isn't in the Fear Itself promo's makes me think that he'll still be Cap in the future.



#3 Posted by danhimself (21898 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer:  you have seen this promo right?
 

#4 Posted by War Killer (19473 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: Yeah, but you've also got this image and it's Bucky as Cap, not Steve....





Plus I don't think Marvel would go through all the trouble, I may be wrong though, to give Steve a new suit only to have him go back to his old one in just a few months, seems pretty pointless to be honest if they did. But now looking at that promo and seeing how it's about faith, which most likely is faith in the America way and people, it may be a sign of Steve losing faith in America after what happens with Bucky in Trial of Captain America. I mean Red Skull is some way responsible for this event, so it would be a big win to get your biggest foe to los faith in the main thing he's been fighting for since they first met. Plus if you think about it, it does make sense. Steve has so much faith in the American people that Bucky will come out of this okay, so seeing the total opposite happen could put a big dent in the way he looks at how America has changed so much and isn't truly the America he has always had faith in.
#5 Posted by daredevil21134 (9031 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Steve becomes Captain America again soon,so I can start reading Captain  America again
#6 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134: 
 Aww..... 
 
Ed Brubaker handled Bucky's assumption of the mantle in superb fashion. 

#7 Posted by War Killer (19473 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
" I hope Steve becomes Captain America again soon,so I can start reading Captain  America again "
Why not read it now, Steve's still in the book. And I don't understand why people are still on this, Steve is Captain America still, he has a shield and everything still, he just got promoted is all :P
#8 Posted by Legacy_ (10166 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer: I hate it how people can't handle changing times and natural progression of mantles changing.  I blame the Big Two for never allowing their characters to age out the system lol
#9 Posted by War Killer (19473 posts) - - Show Bio
@Closure said:
" @War Killer: I hate it how people can't handle changing times and natural progression of mantles changing.  I blame the Big Two for never allowing their characters to age out the system lol "
Agreed, which is one thing that DC annoys the heck out of me with the most. And in truth Marvel should have just kept Steve dead, I mean seriously, I have at least four trades here on my shelf that are now pointless because of a mini-series with the word "reborn" in it -__- Times change, character's die, and they should keep it that way, but in the end Marvel and DC are just afraid that without their top-guns, people will quite buying their comics....just wait till Human Torch comes back :P In the end it's all about money, not the stories at all anymore......
#10 Posted by daredevil21134 (9031 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
" @daredevil21134 said:
" I hope Steve becomes Captain America again soon,so I can start reading Captain  America again "
Why not read it now, Steve's still in the book. And I don't understand why people are still on this, Steve is Captain America still, he has a shield and everything still, he just got promoted is all :P "

Because I don't like Bucky
#11 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio
@Closure: That's why Dynamite is awesome. They show change in their characters, and aren't afraid of totally altering them... for instance in Green Hornet, the original's son is the GH in Century City, however in GH:Year One, the setting is the late 30s in Chicago.
#12 Posted by Legacy_ (10166 posts) - - Show Bio
@batmanary: Exactly! Why can't the Big Two do that? Keep the new guys with the current titles and use the old heroes to tell "Forgotten stories" I'm tired of death, resurrection, and battling between heroes become the latest fad 
#13 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio
@Closure said:
" @batmanary: Exactly! Why can't the Big Two do that? Keep the new guys with the current titles and use the old heroes to tell "Forgotten stories" I'm tired of death, resurrection, and battling between heroes become the latest fad  "
Well, GH does ignore continuity(The original in the main series starts in the 70s, but the Year One starts in the 30s), but it's still a neat idea. DC should try doing these kind of things with their Golden Age heroes, but take away the continuity. I want a 30s Batman series!!
#14 Posted by War Killer (19473 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
" @War Killer said:
" @daredevil21134 said:
" I hope Steve becomes Captain America again soon,so I can start reading Captain  America again "
Why not read it now, Steve's still in the book. And I don't understand why people are still on this, Steve is Captain America still, he has a shield and everything still, he just got promoted is all :P "
Because I don't like Bucky "
Have you read Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier?
#15 Posted by daredevil21134 (9031 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
" @daredevil21134 said:
" @War Killer said:
" @daredevil21134 said:
" I hope Steve becomes Captain America again soon,so I can start reading Captain  America again "
Why not read it now, Steve's still in the book. And I don't understand why people are still on this, Steve is Captain America still, he has a shield and everything still, he just got promoted is all :P "
Because I don't like Bucky "
Have you read Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier? "

I have some of the issues but not all
#16 Edited by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio

Fear Itself sounds like another pointless event that will serve no valid purpose for the characters in it and continue to assassinate the character of what little Marvel has left. 
Also I like how that Fear itself promo is from Marvel yet still poorly photoshopped.Very professional. 

Moderator
#17 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: just like Heroic Age.
#18 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio
@batmanary said:
" @Vance Astro: just like Heroic Age. "
Exactly.
Moderator
#19 Posted by Justinpants21 (23 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how anybody can hate Bucky as Cap, if they've actually read brubakers run with him. I admit i quit reading Cap after Steve got shot and i was a Bucky hater, but eventually caught back up and gave him a chance, and i absolutely love Bucky as Cap now. All the hater's should at least give the last few Cap trades a read before they pass judgement because he's a great  character and the only other person other than Steve who is worthy enough to be Captain America. With that being said, i'm really worried about Bucky's fate, i'd love to see him continue on as Captain America but the signs aren't looking good.

#20 Posted by biggkeem89 (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

As a huge Steve Rogers fan, I must say that I'm loving Bucky as Cap. I think of it symbolically. The two represent the two sides of America. Steve is the American Spirit. He fights for liberty and justice. He always fights of the heart of America even when the government doesn't. He's an icon. An ideal. Bucky is the embodiment of America. He represents an America that's struggling to overcome it dark past. An America that's trying to make a future for itself in an unsure world. Bucky represents hope and redemption for America, and honestly with the current climate in the USA today, Bucky's the Cap we need right now. So, I hope Marvel keeps Bucky as Cap for a while, so that he can be an inspiration to the rest of us.

#21 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
" @War Killer said:
" @daredevil21134 said:
" I hope Steve becomes Captain America again soon,so I can start reading Captain  America again "
Why not read it now, Steve's still in the book. And I don't understand why people are still on this, Steve is Captain America still, he has a shield and everything still, he just got promoted is all :P "
Because I don't like Bucky "
Same
#22 Posted by daredevil21134 (9031 posts) - - Show Bio
@Larkin1388 said:
" @daredevil21134 said:
" @War Killer said:
" @daredevil21134 said:
" I hope Steve becomes Captain America again soon,so I can start reading Captain  America again "
Why not read it now, Steve's still in the book. And I don't understand why people are still on this, Steve is Captain America still, he has a shield and everything still, he just got promoted is all :P "
Because I don't like Bucky "
Same "

lol
#23 Posted by SlimJ87D (8896 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like even more trouble as a shield is given to a new Cap. Don't know if it's "the shield." But I can bet my money that this new Cap Dave won't really last long or be considered Cap by anyone.  
 
http://comics.ign.com/articles/114/1148393p1.html

#24 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio
@SlimJ87D:
Of course not. Or at least I damn well hope so. And just for the record, I'm pissed.
#25 Posted by SlimJ87D (8896 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:
" @SlimJ87D: Of course not. Or at least I damn well hope so. And just for the record, I'm pissed. "
Well this takes place in issue 615, which is right after 614 where Bucky is currently fighting Sin and Master mind. So I doubt that IGN knows what they are talking about. This is also issue 615.1 which has extra panels added to it, a directors cut. So I think the only thing going on here is the verdict of the trial, Steve thinking of what just happen after the aftermath of the trial. 
 
I speculate that they are going to make Bucky a rogue Captain America backed up by Steve himself. I believe this because Bucky will be fighting Batroc the leaper and will make appearances as Captain America in Captain America and the Falcon which might take place after 615 and even 617.
#26 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio
@SlimJ87D said:
" @ReVamp said:
" @SlimJ87D: Of course not. Or at least I damn well hope so. And just for the record, I'm pissed. "
Well this takes place in issue 615, which is right after 614 where Bucky is currently fighting Sin and Master mind. So I doubt that IGN knows what they are talking about. This is also issue 615.1 which has extra panels added to it, a directors cut. So I think the only thing going on here is the verdict of the trial, Steve thinking of what just happen after the aftermath of the trial.  I speculate that they are going to make Bucky a rogue Captain America backed up by Steve himself. I believe this because Bucky will be fighting Batroc the leaper and will make appearances as Captain America in Captain America and the Falcon which might take place after 615 and even 617. "

Yeah well... He's still being replaced. But I like your theory, and it gives an excuse for what happened in the first arc of the avengers.
#27 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer: :D
#28 Posted by War Killer (19473 posts) - - Show Bio
@SlimJ87D said:
" Sounds like even more trouble as a shield is given to a new Cap. Don't know if it's "the shield." But I can bet my money that this new Cap Dave won't really last long or be considered Cap by anyone.  
 
http://comics.ign.com/articles/114/1148393p1.html "
I think they may try to pull what Red Skull tried to do in The Man Who Bought America storyline with trying to fool/win the public with a new Captain America right when the country needs him the most. Plus this new guy is owned by some company so of course he can be bought off and what not and isn't really Captain America. And from this preview I read in this Fear Itself preview at the CBS the other day, the main Captain America title is going to be focusing on Bucky and the aftermath of the Trial of Captain America (I'll to not spoil the ending) and the series is going to swap out the Nomad back-up with Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier instead which will focus on Steve and will somehow tie into the main story.
#29 Posted by GTG12 (1572 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckys good for now but i can't wait till steve comes back.
#30 Posted by GTG12 (1572 posts) - - Show Bio

Though id much much rather have bucky than that dave.
#31 Posted by Z3RO180 (5941 posts) - - Show Bio
@biggkeem89: wait is bucky not going to be cap anymore?????
#32 Posted by War Killer (19473 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like Steve as "America's top cop" The costume is awesome and I'm actually enjoying The Secret Avengers arc.

Moderator
#34 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29330 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
" @Z3RO180 said:
"@biggkeem89: wait is bucky not going to be cap anymore????? "

Captain America Relaunch again
"
STUPID STUPID STUPID
#35 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio

If anything happens to Barnes..it only further proves that Marvel doesn't care about characters.What better happen is that he takes on a different persona and not Captain America.Why would you spend almost an entire volume building up a character and then just get rid of him? It's a very Marvel thing to do.....

Moderator
#36 Posted by entropy_aegis (13552 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
"If anything happens to Barnes..it only further proves that Marvel doesn't care about characters.What better happen is that he takes on a different persona and not Captain America.Why would you spend almost an entire volume building up a character and then just get rid of him? It's a very Marvel thing to do..... "

I hate it.
#37 Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a Bucky fan whatsoever.
#38 Posted by RoninTheFury (377 posts) - - Show Bio

Well i don't know if this matters for anything, but remember in Avengers #6(heroic age) when when Wolverine, Bucky, and Noh-Varr, return to the present, Thor's daughter(i believe it was his daughter) remarked "That was Bucky Barnes"?, and Maestro Hulk replied "it was", and then she said "I hate him", with Hulk then saying "We all get whats coming to us, especially that son of a bitch", with future Tony Stark saying "I'm proud of you kids for not telling him his fate, it wasn't the time". so it does appear that the writers are going to make some changes to Barnes in some way.

#39 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (678 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
"If anything happens to Barnes..it only further proves that Marvel doesn't care about characters.What better happen is that he takes on a different persona and not Captain America.Why would you spend almost an entire volume building up a character and then just get rid of him? It's a very Marvel thing to do..... "

True true.....Look at Luke Cage. They made the guy the leader of the Thunderbolts. From Avenger to correctional facility officer. But here is what really pissing me off about this whole Bucky situation. At first I didn't like bucky, I couldnt stand him being this lone wolf Captain America but he kind of just grew on me.  
 
Personally they should just take the shield and uniform away and just let him go back to being winter soldier. This whole trial is farce. I was talking to someone at gamestop about that he make a joke saying that Shield found out that one of Bucky's parent was a minority which will takes away his caucasion benefits. plus with him being a guy. he can't sexy-time he was way out of it. i know he was referring to Sharon Carter, Jessica Drew, Black Window, Iron Man, Wolverine,  as then being able to get by on a free pass for doing similar crimes and get no trial.
 
I still think its unfair for Bucky regardless he's a good Captain America or not. It's bad enough Luke cage gets demoted from being an avenger to a  correctional facilty officer and A king of an african nation is downgraded to a sandwich slicer. Now a good ole homegrown boy Captain America is a criminal. This Marvel world is going to hell.  
#40 Posted by digimod (239 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Capt America as an icon - and both Steve and Bucky served it well.

#41 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7493 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm much happier with Bucky being cap, it's been a welcome progression for Steve to move on and be in the position he's in now for me at least it would be a huge unwanted step backwards for him to return to the classic 'Cap' role.

#42 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Capt must have a cheap sheild for it to break like that.
#43 Posted by War Killer (19473 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
" @War Killer said:
" @Z3RO180 said:
"@biggkeem89: wait is bucky not going to be cap anymore????? "

Captain America Relaunch again
"
STUPID STUPID STUPID "
Agreed.
 
@Vance Astro said:
" If anything happens to Barnes..it only further proves that Marvel doesn't care about characters.What better happen is that he takes on a different persona and not Captain America.Why would you spend almost an entire volume building up a character and then just get rid of him? It's a very Marvel thing to do..... "
Sadly I'm afraid this is what Marvel might do, they'll take away what has made him so interesting for the past few years and push in Steve's shadow....and slowly Marvel will just forget about him.
 
Really though, would it really be so hard to make there be TWO Captain America's? I mean seriously, not only would it please the Steve fans, but in the end we would still get Bucky as Cap as well. And nothing would really change either, Steve can use his energy shield while Bucky uses the shield he's been using, and the two could remain on their Avengers teams, Steve still leading Secret Avengers and Bucky still remaining on the main Avengers team. Honestly at this point I just want to see Bucky continue being Cap.
#44 Edited by SlimJ87D (8896 posts) - - Show Bio
@RoninTheFury said:

" Well i don't know if this matters for anything, but remember in Avengers #6(heroic age) when when Wolverine, Bucky, and Noh-Varr, return to the present, Thor's daughter(i believe it was his daughter) remarked "That was Bucky Barnes"?, and Maestro Hulk replied "it was", and then she said "I hate him", with Hulk then saying "We all get whats coming to us, especially that son of a bitch", with future Tony Stark saying "I'm proud of you kids for not telling him his fate, it wasn't the time". so it does appear that the writers are going to make some changes to Barnes in some way. "

Wait wait wait... WTF? Are you serious? 
 
Anyways,  Man, WTF is going to happen to Bucky? And his Costume is freakin awesome, is it going to get thrown away? 
 
Also, what was the whole point of that of that story where Cap saw the future and needed to not be cap in order to change it? 
 
What is the whole point of that interview that said nothing big is going to happen for 2 years and that Steve would be playing a different role for awhile?  
 
#45 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
" I hope Steve becomes Captain America again soon,so I can start reading Captain  America again "
I agree
#46 Edited by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@SlimJ87D said:

" @RoninTheFury said:

" Well i don't know if this matters for anything, but remember in Avengers #6(heroic age) when when Wolverine, Bucky, and Noh-Varr, return to the present, Thor's daughter(i believe it was his daughter) remarked "That was Bucky Barnes"?, and Maestro Hulk replied "it was", and then she said "I hate him", with Hulk then saying "We all get whats coming to us, especially that son of a bitch", with future Tony Stark saying "I'm proud of you kids for not telling him his fate, it wasn't the time". so it does appear that the writers are going to make some changes to Barnes in some way. "
Wait wait wait... WTF? Are you serious? "
??? WTF??? Marvel, I was linking Bucky as Cap and now you pull this and that @War Killer said:
" @InnerVenom123 said:
" @War Killer said:
" @Z3RO180 said:
"@biggkeem89: wait is bucky not going to be cap anymore????? "

Captain America Relaunch again
"
I will stop reading Marvel...period.
#47 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1642 posts) - - Show Bio
@SlimJ87D:
it will probrobly be explained in Fear Itself.
#48 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1642 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64:
i dought you will.
#49 Posted by SladeRogers (291 posts) - - Show Bio
@biggkeem89:  
 
Thank you!! Finally, someone who has said what I think. To me, Bucky was the correct choice to be Steve's successor. Besides, Bucky was meant to be Captain America. When Steve was "dead", had Bucky not been lost, he would've had the shield anyways so either way it goes, he was gonna end up as Cap.  
 
As for Fear Itself, I cannot wait for it to happen. Red Skull finally gets what he wanted (and despite how I sound I'm not excited). I kinda believe all the Skull ever wanted was to show Cap that the red, white, & blue wasn't as true as he thought. Which I can understand..

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.