Bucky is not going to die.

• 58 results
#1 Edited by SlimJ87D (9911 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm making a new topic because that's the first thing I want people to see here. Not the controversial death of Bucky topic. 
Case 1: The image

Point A: Think about it guys, in those funeral pictures there is no one from the Avengers attending. Black Widow would be there for sure and they don't show her there. Anytime a real hero dies they are crowded around by other heroes. Not only that but most of the time it would say something like "Steve visits a dear hero that died." I'm %100 sure that it's just a WW2 buddy, and they want to talk about WW2 in the beginning of issue number 1. 

Point B: The funeral takes place in FRANCE! Why would they berry Bucky in France? HELL NO THEY WOULDN'T! 

Point C: Not only that, if Bucky really did die then in those panels they would show memories of Bucky. Not Steve fighting.

Case 2: Daken
We know that Daken and Bucky are going to have a future run in very VERY soon. Daken himself already hinted it. Marvel would not be dumb enough to not explore this new/old material. It's important unfinished business.

Case 3: Future Avengers
In the Avengers line, recently it was revealed that Bucky might play a very controversial role in the doomed future of thew kid avengers, maestro and old Tony Stark. Although I don't like this idea because Bendis is an idiot and doesn't know how to write Bucky, it's more evidence he will not die.

If you guys have the scans for my case 2 and 3, PLEASE POST THEM or PM me and I'll put them in the OP.

---EDIT MAY 9, 2011---

Case 4: Bucky is going to be narrating for Captain America and Bucky #620:
Solicit of Captain America and Bucky:
Think you know the story of Cap and Bucky's origins? Well, think again. The secret story of the early days of Captain America, told from Bucky Barnes's point of view. From co-writers Ed Brubaker and Marc Andreyko with artist Chris Samnee (Thor: The Mighty Avenger).

So Bucky is obviously narrating these events. I'm pretty sure Bucky is still alive while he tells his tale. 

Don't be gullible to a variant cover. Marvel wouldn't just tell us that Bucky is going to die on a cover. Most deaths are always a surprise, and I'm sure the cover is to throw us off. I have a feeling that Sam is going to jump into the way and save Bucky and die himself. Or Bucky is not going to die at all. Hell, he might even pick up a hammer.   

---EDIT MAY 30,2011--- 

http://comics.ign.com/articles/117/1171278p1.html     

Bucky is not going to die. Confirmed. 
#2 Posted by raidenexe (36 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio

-__- I'm gonna be pissed if it does happen.

#4 Edited by SlimJ87D (9911 posts) - - Show Bio
@raidenexe: 
@The Dark Huntress: 

Notice how the Funeral is also in Paris. There is no way they would berry Bucky in Paris. Newsarma didn't notice that did they?

I think what is going to happen is Bucky is going to discover something in Russia while he is in Prison. He's going to find his calling, a purpose that he needs to investigate. All the sudden FEAR ITSELF happens and he decides to wield the Shield one last time. He breaks out of Prison, and rushes to America. This causes him to become a international fugitive. 

1. He can'e be Cap anymore because of this.
2. This is what hurts everything Steve worked so hard for.

I'm sure of it. This is how it has to play out to make sense. During his travels he's going to run into Daken also in the future. 
#5 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio
@SlimJ87D I totally buy that theory.
#6 Posted by SlimJ87D (9911 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: 
Yeah, because Captain America 618 says Bucky makes a decision that will change his life forever. And it is going to hurt everything Steve has worked hard for. As a writer, my theory put together is the best case scenario for fresh material for both Steve and Bucky. Ed Brubaker will have so much to write about. It's not only logical in money standards but makes the most sense for future story wise. 
#7 Edited by War Killer (20194 posts) - - Show Bio
@SlimJ87D: Awesome theory, but how do you know the funereal is in France?
#8 Posted by Iron_Lad (315 posts) - - Show Bio
@raidenexe:
Thanks for posting the link.

This image, whether or not it's been confirmed to be the cover to Fear Itself #3, proves that Bucky will die! Is anyone else convinced yet? Will you accept Bucky's death?
#9 Posted by PowerHerc (83464 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, not again.
#10 Posted by War Killer (20194 posts) - - Show Bio
@Iron_Lad said:
" @raidenexe:
Thanks for posting the link.

This image, whether or not it's been confirmed to be the cover to Fear Itself #3, proves that Bucky will die! Is anyone else convinced yet? Will you accept Bucky's death? "
How does that image prove Bucky's going to die? O_o
#11 Posted by Iron_Lad (315 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Edited by SlimJ87D (9911 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer: 
@Iron_Lad: 

Newsarama doesn't know what they are talking about. Why would they berry Bucky in France? Why isn't Black Widow there? Why aren't Avengers there? Check the previews again, they are in France. Look at Paris, and look at the buildings.

The Taxi is even a Mercedes. 
#13 Posted by War Killer (20194 posts) - - Show Bio
@SlimJ87D said:
" @War Killer: 
@Iron_Lad: 

Newsarama doesn't know what they are talking about. Check the previews again, they are in France. Look at Paris, and look at the buildings.

The Taxi is even a Mercedes. 
"
Yup, that's Paris alright. And I LOVE the art in those pages!!! ^__^
#14 Posted by SlimJ87D (9911 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer: 

I'm still waiting for:
@Iron_Lad: 

Legitimate reasoning on why Bucky is going to die. That cover doesn't say anything besides Bucky breaking out of prison. 
#15 Edited by God_Spawn (37878 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt he will die, he has too much going on for him right now and honestly i still call BS on killing a character off every quarter, i doubt its gonna happen at all especially since they brought up cyclops who supposed to be having an important run in x-men volume 3 for the next 3 months. You kill off one character in a comic yet you have 4 other titles in the mainstream continuity they are running in, it would have to cut those other comics off during progression if they killed him too soon or have them up and disappear in the other titles but still have it acknowledged as a death despite midstoryline  which would be  stupid.

#16 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8102 posts) - - Show Bio
@SlimJ87D: Buckys gonna die if you look you see Steve an the other guys look like war buddies of Bucky an Thor Girl says she hates Bucky and Maestro says that he'll get what he deserrves, it also shows he wasnt in the future  i think he's gonna betray people an join sin an fight the gods only to die...in france...
#17 Posted by Loki9876 (3045 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope/ think he is not going to die
it doesn't make sense his funeral would be in France and were are all the avengers. If bucky died there would be a lot avengers.

#18 Posted by SlimJ87D (9911 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCheeseStabber said:
" @SlimJ87D: Buckys gonna die if you look you see Steve an the other guys look like war buddies of Bucky an Thor Girl says she hates Bucky and Maestro says that he'll get what he deserrves, it also shows he wasnt in the future  i think he's gonna betray people an join sin an fight the gods only to die...in france... "
They will not berry his body in France. It doesn't make sense. Black Widow is not at the funeral. Also, if that was Bucky in the casket, why the hell would they show memories of Steve fighting, it doesn't add up and it doesn't make sense from a writers point of view. And lastly, what can one of Bucky's decisions be to hurt what Steve "worked so hard for?"

Steve has been working hard at righting the crimes as the Winter Soldier did. Bucky breaking out of Russia is a "life changing" decision that would make him an international fugitive. Captain America can't be a international fugitive. 

He's not going to die, specially since there is going to be a "on going" series starring him and Steve. Sure the first story arc is a flashback, but that can't last for long, not for a "on going" series. It will go back to Bucky and on his own personal journey to settle some scores with Russia while undercover. They want to give a more retcon background to Bucky so we can understand that he was dark and an assassin since day 1 of his training. 
#19 Posted by jayskee (1905 posts) - - Show Bio

if he dies i goin stop reading captain america
#20 Posted by SirSparkington (342 posts) - - Show Bio
@jayskee said:
" if he dies i goin stop reading captain america "
Ditto. I'd be really, really bummed at Marvel.
#21 Edited by SlimJ87D (9911 posts) - - Show Bio

I know the previews for Fear Itself 3 has come out, and on the variant cover it looks like BUcky is being struck by something. Don't be gullible to Marvel covers. Don't you guys think it's too obvious that they want us to think it's going to happen but something very shocking is going to happen. like Sam pushing him out of the way last minute and dieing himself? I don't believe that Marvel would play such a card, most deaths are a surprise to happen. 

Also from this preview of Captain America and Bucky:
Think you know the story of Cap and Bucky's origins? Well, think again. The secret story of the early days of Captain America, told from Bucky Barnes's point of view. From co-writers Ed Brubaker and Marc Andreyko with artist Chris Samnee (Thor: The Mighty Avenger).

So Bucky is obviously narrating these events. I'm pretty sure Bucky is still alive while he tells his tale. 
#22 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5439 posts) - - Show Bio

If they "kill" him again, it would be a whole waste of time to even have brought him back.  The last however many years would mean even less.

and I agree Bendis is an idiot, ok, I don't like his writing anyway and he helped tremendously in my missing many issues of DD :(
#23 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

im with you, moreso because theres been a plot being brewed involving him in Daken's comic since it began, involving Daken seeking his reckoning for the assassination of his
mother by the Winter Soldier. i do believe that there's a chance Marvel will likely take the mantle from his though, in the interest sadly of having Steve in the place of Captain America
once again to appeal to the incoming new readers jumping on off of the live film.

#24 Posted by SlimJ87D (9911 posts) - - Show Bio

Brubaker has confirmed that Bucky's presence will be in Captain America and Bucky, and it will be his starring comic book. He has something to do. I will be supporting this title so he won't get sidelined. 

#25 Edited by SlimJ87D (9911 posts) - - Show Bio

Kinda Worried Now. I have spoilers in my images.
#26 Posted by HaHaManHV (234 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd actually be furious if that is the way they end things for him, because it makes no sense at all to have him fighting there AND in the jail in the first place, plus it's just disrespectful and random

#27 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@HaHaManHV said:
I'd actually be furious if that is the way they end things for him, because it makes no sense at all to have him fighting there AND in the jail in the first place, plus it's just disrespectful and random
Yeah. I was confused with that. Its just like Marvel writers not to communicate when using the same characters. They do it all of the time. They dont care. As long as its maknig money.
#28 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by Iron_Lad (315 posts) - - Show Bio

Ten bucks says Bucky will be resurrected through Asgardian magic or by some other means by the end of this event. It was such a cheap death, plus the Captain America Corps is coming up and Bucky is in it.

#30 Posted by Loki9876 (3045 posts) - - Show Bio

if you read comics you know anything could happe afte this comic.

#31 Posted by karrob (4279 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they fake Buckys death

#32 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
Move aside Bucky make way for: STEVE ROGERS! 
Of course he will come back at some point. But they are doing this to a lot of characters in both Marvel and DC. Bringing back the old and pushing aside the new for a bit. 
He possibly could be brought back through Asgardian magic before the event ends...but atm Bukcky looks torn UP.
#33 Posted by Iron_Lad (315 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the funeral of Peggy Carter aka Agent 13. She is Cap's love interest in the new Captain America movie. It is not Bucky's funeral.
#34 Posted by johnnie619 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

marvel im begging you for once make a decision and stick with it. leave bucky alone. steve doesn't need the suit anymore its beneath him. how can we have character evolution if you keep chickening out all the time. in rare form you have kept jean dead. and she came back 100 times. ill say it once more character development mean buck stays as cap
#35 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he'll die, but he's certainly not going to be Cap anymore. He might become an avatar of death or something weird like that.

#36 Posted by War Killer (20194 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnnie619 said:
marvel im begging you for once make a decision and stick with it. leave bucky alone. steve doesn't need the suit anymore its beneath him. how can we have character evolution if you keep chickening out all the time. in rare form you have kept jean dead. and she came back 100 times. ill say it once more character development mean buck stays as cap
I agree with this, but sadly Marvel just won't listen...
#37 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4730 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I pretty much lost interest in most Marvel comics. They're consistent with annoying people, but it wouldn't annoy me so much that I felt I needed to pay for garbage.

#38 Posted by SlimJ87D (9911 posts) - - Show Bio

Bucky will live again: 

Brubaker: This story beat is something that was sort of in the cards for a while, and really gets me to places I need to go with the Cap book that [Steve] McNiven and I are doing, and with future, secret projects that are coming up not too long down the road. There are seeds planted in the next issue of Captain America, the last issue before we go to [Captain America & Bucky], and this really helps get us to those bearing fruit. I hope that all of our fans who have been reading [Matt's] comics and my comics all these years have faith that we know a little bit of what the hell we're doing.

#39 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33361 posts) - - Show Bio
@SlimJ87D said:
Bucky will live again: 

Brubaker: This story beat is something that was sort of in the cards for a while, and really gets me to places I need to go with the Cap book that [Steve] McNiven and I are doing, and with future, secret projects that are coming up not too long down the road. There are seeds planted in the next issue of Captain America, the last issue before we go to [Captain America & Bucky], and this really helps get us to those bearing fruit. I hope that all of our fans who have been reading [Matt's] comics and my comics all these years have faith that we know a little bit of what the hell we're doing.
That dosnt mean anything
#40 Posted by SlimJ87D (9911 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87: I think it does. There is more to the interview. And you have to read Captain America 619 to see that Bucky has a mission now. 3 dangerous weapons are going to be sold to who knows. When he comes back he'll have to find those people and stop those people. 

This is my theory, they want him dead so Captain America # 1 won't be confusing for new readers. Around the time that they decide to bring Bucky back in the movies then they will bring him back in the comic too so they can maximize profit. 

Bucky as the Winter Soldier is on its way of becoming a standard. Brubaker said he's surprised that there were so many posters, T-shirts and toys of the his Bucky. Also, the Avengers Cartoon for the first time is turning Bucky into the Winter Soldier which is great. 

One thing I really liked is in Captain America 619 Bucky even says himself "Of course no one ever stays dead." I think that wasn't Bucky talking to us but it was Brubaker himself.
#41 Posted by UpUpAndAway (192 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, that's not Bucky's funeral my man. I am in the pot to bet on the dude's death though. It's sad because I'm a fan of the new Captain America but it's already been heavily discussed in many places that that is the funeral for Peggy Carter; Cap's original girlfriend and aunt of Sharon Carter. Sorry, but you need to stop arguing that they will not bury "the correct spelling by the way" Bucky in France. Of course they wouldn't.

#42 Edited by SlimJ87D (9911 posts) - - Show Bio
@UpUpAndAway said:

Yeah, that's not Bucky's funeral my man. I am in the pot to bet on the dude's death though. It's sad because I'm a fan of the new Captain America but it's already been heavily discussed in many places that that is the funeral for Peggy Carter; Cap's original girlfriend and aunt of Sharon Carter. Sorry, but you need to stop arguing that they will not bury "the correct spelling by the way" Bucky in France. Of course they wouldn't.

Sorry, but this topic was made long LONG LONG before anyone knew whose funeral that was. I was one of the first to point it all out. So please calm your ignorance (I don't mean this to be offensive, it's just best suited here). 
#43 Posted by UpUpAndAway (192 posts) - - Show Bio

@SlimJ87D: Sorry. I wasn't trying to be ignorant, although I should have realized that.

#44 Edited by Omega Ray Jay (7816 posts) - - Show Bio

It might be John Steele though that is a massive stab in the dark. It's only since Steve evolved and dropped the shield that I've become interested in his character, the evolution was extremely overdue and one of the biggest draws for Secret Avengers for me was to see him inhabiting a different type of role, the step back has just caused me to loose interest in him once more. 

#45 Posted by Voodoom (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Since the funeral is in France and considering the few in attendance could it be Jacques Deriner
#46 Posted by SlimJ87D (9911 posts) - - Show Bio

Takes place after Thor fought Hulk and Thing... Does that not look like our familiar friend? 

#47 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13129 posts) - - Show Bio
@SlimJ87D said:
Takes place after Thor fought Hulk and Thing... Does that not look like our familiar friend? 

well, ill be damned. so either he's alive or the artist made a VEEEEERY big faux pas
#48 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8102 posts) - - Show Bio

So hows the whole him not being dead thing going..

#49 Posted by SlimJ87D (9911 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber said:

So hows the whole him not being dead thing going..

Well these are previews of December:

Captain America #6:

• Hydra rises from the ashes!

What secret has Cap been keeping throughout Fear Itself?

• Alan Davis joins the all-star creative team!

Captain America and Bucky #625:

• The original Human Torch guest-stars as Captain America teams up with Bucky in the present day… for the first time?!

• Rising stars James Asmus and Francesco Francavilla join Eisner award winner Ed Brubaker for a rollicking adventure into the future of the star-spangled Avenger’s past!

• Brand new arc! Easy jumping on point!

Also previews from Captain America and Bucky #624 suggest that Bucky has been narrating to us his origin story. So I believe Bucky is definitely alive. More and more his death seems to either be faked or his heart started pumping again when no one else was around.

#50 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

Hydra's coming back? Cool!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.