Follow

Bucky Barnes

Character » Bucky Barnes appears in 2102 issues.

Believed dead near the end of World War II only to have been found and brainwashed by the Soviets for the next 50 years, Captain America's former sidekick now continues to defend his country from the shadows against those who would threaten it as legendary spy and assassin, the Winter Soldier. He became the new Captain America to honor his friend Steve and he joined the Avengers. When Steve returned as Captain America, Bucky took on the identity of the Winter Soldier once again.

Bucky Barnes returns in 2012

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By entropy_aegis
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Kallarkz

eh...i'll pick up at list the first issue and see how it is

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    Very happy about this.
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Supreme Marvel

And by Brubaker.

homeslice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By homeslice

Yessss this is awesome news.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By entropy_aegis

I'm surprised that there are'nt more people talking about it.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

He shouldn't have died in the first place. Sick and tired of Marvel's dumbass death gimmick.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fodigg

Nice. Glad to see it, although it was silly to "kill him" in order to set it up.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By iLLituracy

Boooooooooooo. 

@Vance Astro said:

He shouldn't have died in the first place. Sick and tired of Marvel's dumbass death gimmick.
    Also, this. 

I don't like that he's going back to being Winter Soldier. Sounds silly.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By daredevil21134

I'll read since he's Winter Soldier......welcome back Bucky

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#11  Edited By Dracade102
    What I read: "Marvel apologizes to fans and they really really want to get them to like them again."
    Avatar image for wishful_thinker
    Wishful_Thinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Wishful_Thinker

I am so happy, you don't even understand. 
    I wonder if this was a planned thing all along or a "Damn, we messed up. There are people  with pitchforks outside of Fraction's office this time. Get Bucky back and give him to Brubaker stat!" thing. 

Either way, I am enormously pleased.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By slimj87d

@Wishful_Thinker said:

I am so happy, you don't even understand. I wonder if this was a planned thing all along or a "Damn, we messed up. There are people with pitchforks outside of Fraction's office this time. Get Bucky back and give him to Brubaker stat!" thing. Either way, I am enormously pleased.

It had to be planned all along due to Ed Brubaker setting up the other 3 Winter Soldiers. I knew this would happen too.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By ReVamp
    *Fanboy Scream*
    Goes spread the message.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Gambit1024

Awesome!

Also, why the f*ck did they kill him in the first place?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Gambit1024 said:

Awesome!

According to a thread that was made about death a while back. Apparently Joe Quesada stated that a major character will die every year.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Gambit1024

@Vance Astro said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Awesome!

According to a thread that was made about death a while back. Apparently Joe Quesada stated that a major character will die every year.

Quesada actually meant that? What a stupid plan. What's that supposed to accomplish? It gets old fast, especially since they just come back within the decade anyway.

Halle Romanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Halle Romanova

@Supreme Marvel said:

And by Brubaker.

OH F*CK YES.

BRB GONNA GO CRY HAPPY TEARS.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Gambit1024 said:

Quesada actually meant that? What a stupid plan. What's that supposed to accomplish? It gets old fast, especially since they just come back within the decade anyway.

It was old when after Civil War.It would make Banner Hulk-out now.
    The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#20  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Um...and we are supised by this? didn't we all figure he would return after a little while? now, I guess its official...

cool he gets his own title, though...

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By daredevil21134

Where's War Killer he should be jumping right now

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @SlimJ87D said:

It had to be planned all along due to Ed Brubaker setting up the other 3 Winter Soldiers. I knew this would happen too.

You and both agreed after his death that he wasn't dead, Brubaker had left too many lose-ends for Bucky to get closure on to just suddenly up and die like that, so not going to lie, I saw something along these lines coming a mile away.

@iLLituracy

said:

I'm happy that he's alive and that he's getting his own series, but I agree with you about him going back as Winter Soldier. To me it's just a step backwards from where he has gone, I haven't read the issue (will hopefully pick it up this weekend) but from how Buck's talking about redemption, I find it a little hard to believe that he couldn't "redeem" himself as Captain America, I mean America is all about second chances and carving out a new life for oneself, so I find it a bit forced that the only way he can find redemption is to go back to the identity that got him in this mess in the first placed. Plus I still don't understand how he's ever going to win the public's trust again, the whole point of the Trial of Captain America was because of what he did as the Winter Soldier and the public's reaction to those crimes, so taking up that same identity just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me; the name is just too scared at this point, in my opinion. I would have rather him take up a new identity or gone with U.S.Agent or hey, how about a crazy idea of having two Captain America's <_<

@Supreme Marvel

said:

And by Brubaker.

This is really the only thing that makes me excited about this, I'm happy that Bucky's back and even more excited that he's getting his very own series, but I'm not a fan of him going back as Winter Soldier (but hey, maybe I'll warm up to it...) and I'm really not a fan of Guice's art, but I trust Brubaker and what he's been doing with Bucky, even though I was a bit nervous after Bucky's "death", seeing that this was the plan all along just reassures me that he's far from being done with Bucky's story and that makes me happy to say the least. :)

@daredevil21134 said:

Where's War Killer he should be jumping right now

I was this thread on the computer at school this morning, I just wasn't able to comment then. :P
    slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By slimj87d

@War Killer: Well I think the type of redemption he is seeking is erasing what he has created (excluding Natasha).

But I can't wait for these Winter Soldiers to be revealed. I hope the last one becomes his rogue or something.

I don't like the Winter Soldier name and identity for current Bucky. I really did wish they made him a new uniform. To tell you the truth, I'm not fond of Adult bucky wearing a Domino mask, it looks kinda weird.

But this is the best news I've heard in weeks besides Kaine becoming Scarlet Spider.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @SlimJ87D: Good point, and I hope Black Widow pops up in this series often, I love hers and Bucky's realtionship.

Agreed, but I really hope they aren't just Winter Soldier wannabes. I think it would be cool if they took on their own super-villain identities and have their own personalities that test Bucky, not to mention it will be interesting too see flashbacks of him training them.  

I don't mind the domino mask that much honestly, but I do hope they choose to redesign his Winter Soldier outfit at least, maybe something like these designs to show he still has a little "Cap" in him...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
     But I get the feeling that they're just going to have go back to his original uniform...
    slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By slimj87d

@War Killer: I think in 7.1 Black Widow says she's going with him or going to help him. So we will be seeing them together and their relationship possibly grow further which is great.

Hey, you never know, by the end of this series, maybe we will see him have a more patriotic uniform after he completes his trials.

It'd be funny of the last Winter Soldier he fights mocks him and has a cool American looking Uniform, Bucky beats him up and then takes it haha. Funny, but practical, maybe not.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BatteredArmor

*sigh* you know what charecter i want to come back to life Death, I want Death to rise from the dead and regain it's position in the marvel u........Death and Jhonny Storm but thats an exception

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By RainEffect

As much as I hate how he's getting tossed around by Marvel, if it is written by Brubaker, it will be glorious.

Halle Romanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Halle Romanova

@iLLituracy said:

Boooooooooooo.

Haterrrrrrrrrrrrr.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iLLituracy
    @Halle Romanova said:

@iLLituracy said:

Boooooooooooo.

Haterrrrrrrrrrrrr.

All the cool kids are doing it.
    Halle Romanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Halle Romanova

@iLLituracy said:

@Halle Romanova said:

@iLLituracy said:

Boooooooooooo.

Haterrrrrrrrrrrrr.

But you're not cool.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iLLituracy
    @Halle Romanova said:

@iLLituracy said:

@Halle Romanova said:

@iLLituracy said:

Boooooooooooo.

Haterrrrrrrrrrrrr.

But you're not cool.

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Daycrawler

@War Killer said:

@SlimJ87D said:

You and both agreed after his death that he wasn't dead, Brubaker had left too many lose-ends for Bucky to get closure on to just suddenly up and die like that, so not going to lie, I saw something along these lines coming a mile away.

@iLLituracy

said:

I'm happy that he's alive and that he's getting his own series, but I agree with you about him going back as Winter Soldier. To me it's just a step backwards from where he has gone, I haven't read the issue (will hopefully pick it up this weekend) but from how Buck's talking about redemption, I find it a little hard to believe that he couldn't "redeem" himself as Captain America, I mean America is all about second chances and carving out a new life for oneself, so I find it a bit forced that the only way he can find redemption is to go back to the identity that got him in this mess in the first placed. Plus I still don't understand how he's ever going to win the public's trust again, the whole point of the Trial of Captain America was because of what he did as the Winter Soldier and the public's reaction to those crimes, so taking up that same identity just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me; the name is just too scared at this point, in my opinion. I would have rather him take up a new identity or gone with U.S.Agent or hey, how about a crazy idea of having two Captain America's <_<

was this thread on the computer at school this morning, I just wasn't able to comment then. :P

Well, it would be pretty hard to redeem himself as Captain America, primarily because he was an international fugitive before his apparent death. It would be pointless to go back to being Cap with that hanging over your head. Plus, he'd also have to come back and say 'Hey guys, guess what, I'm alive'. Wouldn't be a good start to picking up the mantle again. Going public as Cap again would basically see him spending more time evading capture and trying to win over public opinion as opposed to actually stopping bad guys.Basically it's easier for him to redeem himself by going back to the shadows/undercover and tracking down the sleeper agents (plus easier to do this as opposed to charging around looking for clues as Cap). Also, reckon if he tried a comeback as Cap whilst Rogers has already returned wouldn't go down well with the general public. Reckon Fury's right - the public want one Captain America, and for them it's Steve Rogers.

I don't think it's forced at all that he'd return to a more 'hidden' role / persona. Reading through his run as Cap it's clearly what he's more comfortable with. I feel that Bucky has moved on from seeking redemption from the general public (if he was ever seeking that) and feels he needs to redeem himself for his own sake, and to those closest to him such as Steve and Black Widow. Sure a positive public perception would be nice, but I reckon that's not his main aim now, at least not to begin with. He tried that when he was Cap and look where that got him. Probably feels that Steve is more worthy too.

I agree that perhaps he shouldn't call himself Winter Soldier given that persona's baggage, but it's a damn cool name!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dernman

Winter Soldier should only be if you're an Rusian Agent. 
    IMO he should revamp U.S. Agent into an American version of the Winter Soldier instead of a Captain America clone.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By _Zombie_

If they hadn't said Brubaker was writing this.. I would of personally formed a mob, showed up at Fraction's office, and possibly burned it to the ground.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Primmaster64

He was never dead

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @SlimJ87D said:

Hey, you never know, by the end of this series, maybe we will see him have a more patriotic uniform after he completes his trials.

I would like to see this actually, to see him face his demons head on and overcome them, and with the defeat of these sleeper agents he should be able to clear his name, and that's when he could possible take up a more patriotic uniform. Not to mention that there are plenty of stories that could be told with Bucky, he could even start building up a rouges gallery with villains like Daken and Baron Zemo. Lots of character building could come from this series, but with Brubaker on helm I'm sure we'll get some cool, black ops/espionage stories. Plus I'm pretty sure that Bucky's going to end up joining the Secret Avengers sooner or later, so that could be interesting as well.
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37  Edited By DMC

A Winter Soldier ongoing series eh? Written by Brubaker?

It's too tempting to ignore. I liked Captain Bucky (especially the costume) but I'm fine with him being the Winter Soldier again. I'll definitely give this book a spin.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#38  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

sounds cool. i really need to get up to speed on him

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dernman
    @DMC said:

A Winter Soldier ongoing series eh? Written by Brubaker?

It's too tempting to ignore. I liked Captain Bucky (especially the costume) but I'm fine with him being the Winter Soldier again. I'll definitely give this book a spin.

For me Him as Cap bucky was interesting at first but became boring. I much prefer him as winter soldier type character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.