Follow

Bucky Barnes

Character » Bucky Barnes appears in 2102 issues.

Believed dead near the end of World War II only to have been found and brainwashed by the Soviets for the next 50 years, Captain America's former sidekick now continues to defend his country from the shadows against those who would threaten it as legendary spy and assassin, the Winter Soldier. He became the new Captain America to honor his friend Steve and he joined the Avengers. When Steve returned as Captain America, Bucky took on the identity of the Winter Soldier once again.

Bucky Barnes Respect Thread

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

@slimj87d said:

@winter_kills: @twix_right_side: @thexx: @war_killer: @jonny_anonymous:

Pretty cool feat right here. Bucky takes down multiple guards with advanced technology from a distance. He shoots and takes them all down nearly instantly and avoids hitting their armor with tranquilizers.

No Caption Provided

These are the feats I've been waiting for in this series. I also like how Bucky's accepting his role as the Winter Soldier now, knowing that's it a part of his life and he can't run from it anymore.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@slimj87d said:

@winter_kills: @twix_right_side: @thexx: @war_killer: @jonny_anonymous:

Pretty cool feat right here. Bucky takes down multiple guards with advanced technology from a distance. He shoots and takes them all down nearly instantly and avoids hitting their armor with tranquilizers.

No Caption Provided

Damn, that feat is pretty awesome! Maybe I dropped All-New Invaders too soon. Thanks for posting it!

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys, since we're all Cap & Bucky fans here, I was going to ask your input. I posted all this in reference to another post, & it's something that's really bothered me about Remender's taking the serum away from Steve, & how the whole storyline makes no sense to me. I'd like to repost & see you guys have your take on it:

I have issues with Remender's current storyline, how the SSS was removed & Steve aged. It seems like Remender has a complete misunderstanding of how the SSS works. He definitely has some misconceptions, & I have some evidence to back up the fact that Remender's current storyline is contradictory to past continuity & the established workings of the serum.

During the "Streets of Poison" arc during Mark Gruenwald's run, Cap had the serum completely drained out of his blood. Steve didn't revert to his skinny self, or anything- he just believed that he would no longer have the physical enhancements the serum gave him & would have to train to keep himself in prime physical condition. Fast forward a lil' bit down Gruenwald's run, issue 384 to be exact, where some months after having the serum drained from his blood Cap is having his annual physical, & Dr. Keith Kincaid told him he was operating at peak human capacity, something Steve didn't understand since the serum was removed. Dr. Kincaid explained the workings of the serum perfectly. The serum is actually like a self-replicating bacteria, or a super-inoculation. His body began to produce its elements naturally in his system. So, just a couple of months after the serum was drained from his system, it replicated in his blood. This is an established fact of how the serum works, & why it can never be taken from him- if drained away, the serum will only rebuild itself in his bloodstream in a matter of months. Makes perfect sense, right? Well, apparently Remender missed this issue.

So, if the Iron Nail did drain the serum out of his blood, it would replenish over time. This is part one of why Remender's story makes no sense. Part 2, the aging factor, comes shortly.

Now in the story referenced at the beginning of this post, from the awesome Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier, the serum wasn't removed from Steve's blood, it was merely deactivated. Meaning it was rendered dormant, but still present- causing him to return to skinny Steve. Once the effect was reversed, the dormant serum reactivated & Steve was his buff self again. Also, in "The Death of Captain America" story arc, Steve's dead body returns to it's frail, skinny state- meaning that the serum will totally become inactive with the cessation of bodily functions. This should be the only time it will be completely gone from Steve's system. Brubaker's stories didn't go against the continuity from the stories I mentioned above, & could actually be worked in, on a scientific level.

Now for pt. 2- the aging factor. Steve's rapid aging makes no sense to me, or pre-established continuity either. In fact, it has been stated on separate occasions that even if Steve wasn't frozen in suspended animation, he would have aged slowly, or hardly at all- meaning that the serum also gave him great longevity. In an issue of the Avengers, Sersi- an Eternal- actually says to Steve something along the lines of: "You are like me- you will always be as you are now." However, the greatest piece of evidence for this comes from the Captain America: Hail HYDRA mini-series. In it Steve was injected with a formula that slowed or negated the effects of aging. This, combined with the SSS, would have meant Steve, even if he had not be frozen, would possibly have not aged at all over the decades. The serum itself didn't preserve his youth- he was frozen in a state of suspended animation where all functions, save life itself- inc. aging- ceased. Why he didn't have long hair, a beard etc. So it makes little sense to me why the years would catch up to him when drained of the serum.

So with these facts in mind, you can definitely see the inconsistencies in Remender's story. The only thing that makes sense at all to me is that perhaps the barbs from the Iron Nail contained a poison that triggered the rapid aging in Steve- but that doesn't explain why the serum didn't replicate in his system, as previous continuity established. It shows a misunderstanding of the way the SSS works on Remender's part, & I'm glad somebody brought it up here.

(BTW: I have the same feeling about classic Nick Fury. It had been established that Fury's body was naturally producing the Infinity Formula- similar to Steve & the SSS- then it was drained away in "Battle Scars"(& should have replenished in a similar manner to the SSS in Gruenwald's run), & now he's rapidly aged & aging in "Original Sin"- the same kind of misunderstanding.)

So, what do you guys think? I've pondered on it a lot, & have all these back-issues that I referenced, & Remender's story is so contradictory to Steve's biology & the SSS.

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@winter_kills: It's Remender, there's no other explanation.

---

Besides, this whole "accepting" the Winter Soldier thing did kill me a little; I mean:

Jim: Bucky!

Namor: James!

Bucky: It's WINTER SOLDIER now, deal with it. --,--'

Whoa... I like the fact of accepting it, but his name's Bucky... Okay, it's James. But it's like with Grayson: it's Richard, but everyone call him Dick. It sticks to the character. James is Bucky. What's the big deal? If they call him Bucky, that doesn't mean they (all of them) don't see him now as the Winter Soldier. It's just his name. It's not Gotham that they can't call themselves by their real names _^_.

It was quite unnecessary, for me at least. I thought he has already accepted it, and everyone around him have, too.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kleo_94 said:

@winter_kills: It's Remender, there's no other explanation.

---

Besides, this whole "accepting" the Winter Soldier thing did kill me a little; I mean:

Whoa... I like the fact of accepting it, but his name's Bucky... Okay, it's James. But it's like with Grayson: it's Richard, but everyone call him Dick. It sticks to the character. James is Bucky. What's the big deal? If they call him Bucky, that doesn't mean they (all of them) don't see him now as the Winter Soldier. It's just his name. It's not Gotham that they can't call themselves by their real names _^_.

It was quite unnecessary, for me at least. I thought he has already accepted it, and everyone around him have, too.

Yeah, you're right- it's Remender. It'd be nice though if writers did their homework once in awhile, did research on back-issues, knew a character's complete history. Like Brubaker did.

Yeah, I agree, that whole "It's Winter Soldier" thing did bother me. I mean, he's Bucky regardless. I hate when writers disassociate a character like that. Took away from what would've been an otherwise a badass scene.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kleo_94 said:

I can see what you mean, but I like that the writer is at least trying to show Bucky coming to terms with that darker part of his life and seeing him accept that, more so that he'd even want his brothers-in-arms to refer to him by that name now. I think it just shows that Bucky understands he can't run away from his past anymore.

Now I'm not saying it's perfect or anything though. lol I found Namor calling him "James' to be a bit more odd than anything, as he normally refers to Buck as "Bucky" or simply "Barnes." Very few people, Cap included, ever refer to him as "James" anymore. Natasha did it because it showed that she knew him on a more intimate level and thus called him by his "true name," which was something I loved about their relationship.

But the fact that the writer's at least attempting to show Bucky accepting his role as the Winter Soldier, even if it's not perfect, isn't what I'd say was something to be upset about. Not completely at least.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: @slimj87d: @jonny_anonymous: @thexx:

Having just seen Guardians of the Galaxy this past night, which by the way the movie pretty freakin' awesome, but afterwards it got me thinking. We know that Bucky will most likely be replacing Nick Fury as the "Man on the Wall" in his new series, we also know Bucky will be traveling to various locations in the Marvel Universe. So with Bucky most likely visiting some random alien planets at some point in his mission to protect Earth, do any of you think he may run into the Guardians at some point?

Like I said, I just saw the movie so the it may just be the hype talking, but the idea of Bucky fighting aliens side-by-side with guys like Star-Lord just seemed like a fun team-up, not to mention Bucky teaming up with the other Guardians like Rocket and Drax. We've already seen Bucky interact with Gamora in Original Sin, so what y'all think? Would you want to see Bucky team-up with the team, maybe even possibly join them for a while?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#408  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@war_killer: I think it will likely happen but I don't think it will be a team up, Bucky is meant to be covert so they will likely bump up against each other.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: You got to see GotG? You lucky dog you! I probably won't be able to see it til next week- cash constraints, SIGH. But it was awesome? Yes, I had a feeling it would be! I think it would be cool if Bucky teamed up with or bumped into Star-Lord or some of the other Guardians characters(I always thought Bucky encountering Rocket would be cool) during Bucky's intergalactic adventures as "The Man in the Wall". It would be cool to see Bucky encountering any of the Guardians & kicking some Kree, Skrull, Shi'ar or Badoon ass.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: True, though I really don't see the need for Bucky to be covert in space. Sure, on Earth he's well known and it makes sense he'd want to work from the shadows. But in space he's not really that well known, it's possible that even guys like Star-Lord who are from Earth don't even know him really. So I don't really see why Bucky would need to be all secret and covert when possibly interacting with characters like the Guardians.

@winter_kills: Yeah, I rarely, if ever, see early showings for a movie...but it was the only time I managed to get off of work this week, so I rolled with it. But yeah, it was pretty awesome. If you've been waiting to see the more cosmic-side of the MCU, then you won't be disappointed with it. It's a great introduction to that side of the Marvel Universe and I look forward to seeing more of it in the future.

We got see Bucky fight some Skrulls during Secret Invasion, and more recently the Kree in All-New Invaders. But I'd love to see him interacting with other alien races and the different cosmic characters. I truly believe seeing Bucky with Rocket would be a hilarious team-up...just Bucky's reaction to the little guy would make my day. xD

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: Well that's the entire point of the position, he'll be sneaking around alien civilizations and stuff.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: Well that's the entire point of the position, he'll be sneaking around alien civilizations and stuff.

True, but even then he's still a complete unknown in space. On Earth people knew him as Cap's sidekick during WWII, having step in as Captain America, and his past as the Winter Soldier being made public. But out in space, those worlds wouldn't really give a crap about any of that...to most alien civilizations Earth and humanity are just lower life forms and beneath them...so I don't see why Bucky would have to be as covert out there seeing as it's not like people are going to even give a second thought about some random human.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#413  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@war_killer said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

True, but even then he's still a complete unknown in space. On Earth people knew him as Cap's sidekick during WWII, having step in as Captain America, and his past as the Winter Soldier being made public. But out in space, those worlds wouldn't really give a crap about any of that...to most alien civilizations Earth and humanity are just lower life forms and beneath them...so I don't see why Bucky would have to be as covert out there seeing as it's not like people are going to even give a second thought about some random human.

Because if they know who he is then they know where to find find him. And if they find out an earth man is assassinating people then that means war for earth.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

Because if they know who he is then they know where to find find him. And if they find out an earth man is assassinating people then that means war for earth.

Well then I guess Bucky will just have to be careful then. :P

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: That sounds awesome. I really hoped that this would open up the cosmic side of the MCU, & I'm glad to hear it. There's definitely infinite possibilities there. There's rumors we're gonna get Captain Marvel & even the Howard the Duck, believe it or not. (Spoil it a bit for me: is Howard really there at the end?)

Yeah, Bucky got to fight some Skrulls during Secret Invasion, & some Kree during All-New Invaders like you said- but I definitely wanna see more- him using his skills & tactics against these advanced alien races with advanced weaponry & coming out on top.

And you're right- Bucky's reaction to Rocket alone would be hilarious! I kinda wished Bucky would've got to interact a lil' more with Gamora during Original Sin. One of the deadliest men on Earth & one of the deadliest women in the universe is a pretty cool combo.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: Yeah, though abandoning her in space may have put him on her bad side.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: Yeah, though abandoning her in space may have put him on her bad side.

True- that alone would make the next encounter between them very interesting. I also thought it'd be cool if Bucky encountered Angela, since she's Asgard's Assassin, or going to be, & Bucky is one of the best assassins on the planet.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@winter_kills: Really I think Bucky teaming up with almost any character would be interesting. The fact he's going to Asgard could lead to a possible interacting with Loki, which would make for an interesting team-up as well.

Also. I just found this on tumblr, but this is just another example for why a team-up between Bucky and the Guardians would be a great idea! xD

No Caption Provided

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer:

HAHA oh man, I love that! Thanks for posting it!!

Yeah, I can't wait to see Bucky interacting with all kinds of characters- some of whom don't have any idea who he is, keeping his covert status intact. I'm definitely hoping for that Loki team-up as well! Bucky in Asgard is just an extremely cool concept, & for me the one good thing to come out of Original Sin is this broadening of Bucky's role in the MU, which just leads to all kinds of possibilities.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@winter_kills: Agreed. We rarely see Bucky interact with other characters, so hopefully we'll see him met some new people and form new relationships with various characters throughout the Marvel U.

Also, and a bit more random, I found this cool piece fan art on tumblr as well with Black Widow and Winter Soldier. Just wanted to point that I like the color scene the artist used for Bucky suit. Going with a dark-blue instead of a total black suit with the brown straps, belt and boots. Thought it looked pretty cool and wouldn't mind seeing Buck wear something similar in the comics. :D

No Caption Provided

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: Yeah, I have a feeling that's going to be one of the great things about the new series. Though he is going to be "The Man in the Wall", he's not going to be as isolated as he was, in a sense- not just in one corner of the MU, now he's operating in the larger MU as a whole, capable of interacting with & encountering so many characters across the literal MU, & having a powerful impact on the MU in this way, even if it is still in a covert fashion. That's definitely something I want to see, all these new experiences & character interactions for Bucky.

And that's an awesome pic, bro! Thanks for posting it! I agree, I would like to see something like that in the comic, the darker blue reminds you of his Bucky days, but in a slightly darer tone that befits the WS, without being totally black- sort of intermediary, showing that though he may have the dark past as the WS, he's still Bucky Barnes, older & on a new path to redemption.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: Exactly. That's what I was saying to @jonny_anonymous up above. Being the new "Man in the Wall" does mean he'll still be operating covertly, but I don't think that should keep him from interacting with characters and being more out in the open. Like I was saying earlier, because he's in space and not so well know, I feel it gives Bucky an excuse to actually be out in public more often, as most aliens aren't going to give him a second thought.

I just feel like this is a good chance to see Bucky go to places we've never seen him in before. Up until now, even in Brubaker's run, Bucky mainly remained state-side...only going to other countries every now and then. But being possibly out in space, going to Asgard and maybe even other dimensions, we get to see Bucky taken out of his element and dropped into world that's not as familiar, which opens the door for really anything to happen. That's why I was thinking him teaming up with the GotG, even possibly joining them for a time, wasn't that hard to buy.

I was thinking the same thing. The blue feels like a nice nod to his original "Bucky" uniform, yet being a more dark-blue to remind you that this isn't the same happy-go-lucky sidekick he once was...also the brown just meshes well with it, in my opinion. lol

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer:

Exactly, you've got a great idea there. These alien races he encounters, they're not going to know or care who he is- he has a certain degree of anonymity when facing them that keeps him covert- which will make it even cooler when he's showing these hostile races who's boss, & they have absolutely no idea who this deadly Earthman is. He'd be a man of mystery still, but on a wider scale- the universe, especially the Marvel universe, is a vast place- a deadly playground with unlimited dangers & possibilities for Bucky, which for me is the great hook of the new series. I could definitely see him working with he Guardians on a few of these missions- since they are a rag-tag team- I mean, if Venom can, then why can't Buck? It'd be awesome to see, there's just so many possibilities for Bucky to explore in this new run, & I think it's the best thing to happen to his character since Bru left.

Yeah, I'm glad you saw the imagery of that uniform too. I think Bucky's outfit should always be a reflection of his past & present. (I feel the same way about Cap's suits when they're updating them.)

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@winter_kills: Agreed. Plus seeing Bucky interact with various alien species would be interesting, seeing as he's rarely been off-world. Seeing him off in space fighting various alien races could make for an awesome series.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: I have a good feeling about this series, bro. I feel like it's gonna be awesome & well worth the wait for Buck fans like us.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: the only reasonable explanation with the Iron nail I think is that he sucks your youth. That's why he's still young himself. Kind of like Baron stroker.

He sacked nick and dum dum to be old men, people thought he just took the formula out of him but I guess it just makes more sense he's like stroker.

Nick and dum dum had a ton of Infinity formula during that time so they probably reinjected themselves.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d:

I think you're right about that. Your explanation makes ALOT more sense than Remender's. Sucking the super-soldier serum out of Steve wouldn't do that to him- I think he drains youth, like you said, which makes so much more sense. Remender really should have done his homework concerning Cap's biology & the SSS. Sometimes I think comic writers need "idiot checkers"(not being a jerk & calling Remender an idiot, just that's the industry term) like the movies do. You could tell Bru knew every angle of Cap's history during his run.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428  Edited By slimj87d

@winter_kills: ed Brubaker was just perfect. Nit only was he a good writer but he read Captain America as a child till now.

It's like he was destined to reinvent Bucky also, he broke a comic book law and won the majority over.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d:

Exactly right! What's great is that we know how much he loved Cap & Bucky, & that he was a fan, too. He's one of the few writers I enjoyed reading interviews of. Man, do I miss Bru. :(

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thexx: thanks, that's actually a very interesting read. The cover makes a lot more sense now. Still kind of weird looking.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@thexx: The series is sounded a lot more interesting, though I will admit that I am a bit concern with each issue being a different mission. That was something I had issues with in Black Widow's current series, in that whole the book and story were great, because each issue were mainly self-contained missions, the book didn't feel much like an on-going series but instead a series of one-shots. Hopefully the same thing won't happen here.

@slimj87d said:

@thexx: thanks, that's actually a very interesting read. The cover makes a lot more sense now. Still kind of weird looking.

I'm actually glad they revealed a full-version of the cover like I was hoping. The new, complete cover looks A LOT better now, at least I think it does. xD

No Caption Provided

This is really just a minor complaint...but I hate that artists can't seem to get the star on Bucky's bionic arm right...I know most people are use to seeing the red star, but to me that always reminds me of the Soviet Union and Bucky's time under their control. After Bucky was freed from their control, and really after his first arm got destroyed, his new arm had either the red, white and blue star or simply a plain white star instead. I just find it weird that artist keep drawing him with the red star, and despite it being a minor thing, it still a little annoying.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: he actually switched it back to red for Natasha's red black widow. Nick Fury points it out on the first issue after he lost Natasha.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

@war_killer: he actually switched it back to red for Natasha's red black widow. Nick Fury points it out on the first issue after he lost Natasha.

Really? How the heck did I miss this?! O_O

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: it's when they're sitting at a bar and Nick is motivating Bucky to stop grieving over his lost love and to start moving forward again.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@slimj87d said:

@war_killer: it's when they're sitting at a bar and Nick is motivating Bucky to stop grieving over his lost love and to start moving forward again.

Was it issue #15? Because I just read though the whole conversation between Bucky and Fury, and while Bucky mentions Natasha and what happened between them, he never makes mention of the star on his arm...unless I'm just overlooking it? <_<

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: sorry it happened somewhere else I'll get it for you

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

Was it issue #15? Because I just read though the whole conversation between Bucky and Fury, and while Bucky mentions Natasha and what happened between them, he never makes mention of the star on his arm...unless I'm just overlooking it? <_<

I missed that too, bro- don't feel bad! I'll be glad to hear how I missed it(no idea at this point), but it does make sense why he's sporting the red star again.

As for the series itself, it sounds even more interesting every time I read about it. I do like Bucky facing his past, & the cover(which looks even more awesome complete), makes a lot more sense now. One thing that kind of puzzles me, & it's a minor quibble, I know- is people talking about Steve refusing to kill, or letting people like Bucky or Wolverine do it. That's not true. Bru got this-- Cap, Bucky, all the Invaders- they all killed. They were soldiers. They killed. Yes, Cap didn't like it- it was his last resort- but it was war. And that didn't make any of them- inc. Bucky(though Bucky did have to get his hands 'dirtier', bc Cap was a symbol)- any less heroic because of it. Bru really understood that about Cap, Buck & all the wartime heroes. But, it's a minor gripe. Still feel like it's going to be an awesome series, exploring Bucky in a different way, with an infinitely larger playing field.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: I think he was speaking about how Bucky is different because he's much more likely to kill, when Steve would probably find an alternative and wouldn't kill unless he absolutely had too. I don't believe he was trying to claim Cap never killed, but was trying to explain how Cap is more serious about when he will and won't kill someone, whereas Bucky tends to be okay with killing.

I remember in Winter Soldier: Winter Kills, Nick Fury made a joke about reminding Bucky not to kill the Young Avengers, and later in Bucky's Winter Soldier series, I think it was during the Broken Arrow storyline, Sitwell had to remind Bucky to leave at least one of the A.I.M. agents alive for them to interrogate. These comment reflect how Bucky operates and how he's more willing to kill, because for him it's something he's been accustomed to all his life.

But even so, it must also be taken into consideration that both Cap and Bucky operate in different ways. Cap chooses not to kill if he can because, like in the war, he's in the public eye and is an American symbol. Bucky on the other, just like in the war, works mainly in the shadows, operating behind the scenes where even if he killed a whole group of Hydra goons, most likely no one would ever know.

It should be further noted that during his time as Captain America, Bucky rarely if ever killed anyone. Whenever he shot someone, he always shot them in the knee or shoulder, never taking kill shots if he could. This more likely is because Bucky realized that as Cap he now had to uphold the image that Steve had built, and he understood that Captain America doesn't kill if he can help it.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer:

That makes sense, like I said it was a minor gripe. Like you said, & I totally agree, Cap would only do that in worse-case scenario, he usually finds a better way. Like the story in Cap 601, you could tell it weighed on Cap heavily to kill the vampirized soldiers- but he knew it was a necessity, & he was actually putting them out of their misery. Bucky does have a bit more moral flexibility when it comes to killing, esp. during wartime or other intense combat, that was part of the reason he was there with Cap, to do the things that on occasion Cap couldn't be seen doing. But I'm also very glad you mentioned that Bucky went out of his way not to kill when he was Cap- shooting people in the kneecaps, legs, shoulders- he didn't even kill Crossbones, though he nearly did & had opportunity. But as you said, Bucky never wanted to tarnish Cap's mantle, but it also shows that Bucky has the knowledge & skill to handle problems without killing, as well.

Still so excited for this series! This new planet he was talking about sounds very interesting.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: I actually think when he shot Crossbones, that was one of the few times as Cap that he was actually TRYING to kill someone. lol But it should be noted that at that point, Buck had only been Cap for less then a week and was getting pushed to his limit, so I don't blame him for slipping back into his old habits there.

But later on, after being Cap for over a year, when Bucky took on 50s Cap during the Two Americas storyline, Bucky only killed Burnside because it was either kill him or allow hundreds of innocent people to die. But even after he did so it still haunted him and he had a hard time accepting it, feeling guilty for killing 50s Cap despite him having no real alternative.

Even though Bucky is use to killing and isn't afraid to do so, more so than Cap, Bucky still felt guilty for all of the killing he did during the war. When he was captured by the Red Skull just before he became Cap, Doctor Faustus attempted to use his time during the war as a means to turn Bucky back into a killing machine. But even then, Bucky exclaimed that he and the Invaders were soldiers, explaining that they HAD to kill despite not wanting to. He understood it was a war, and in war you have to kill, but Bucky never enjoyed it, just as the rest of the Invaders didn't...well, I can't say Namor didn't enjoy it a little. xD

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: @winter_kills: sorry guys, it's actually the black and red star and it was when he mind was read by that one ghost hacker. Happens in issue 17 or 18.

Man,jason Latour run wasn't bad at all, I wish he continued it.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443  Edited By slimj87d

HEY THERE'S A REFLECTION ON HIS METAL ARM.

I wonder if that's a young bucky, daisy Johnson, or someone else.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: I actually think when he shot Crossbones, that was one of the few times as Cap that he was actually TRYING to kill someone. lol But it should be noted that at that point, Buck had only been Cap for less then a week and was getting pushed to his limit, so I don't blame him for slipping back into his old habits there.

But later on, after being Cap for over a year, when Bucky took on 50s Cap during the Two Americas storyline, Bucky only killed Burnside because it was either kill him or allow hundreds of innocent people to die. But even after he did so it still haunted him and he had a hard time accepting it, feeling guilty for killing 50s Cap despite him having no real alternative.

Even though Bucky is use to killing and isn't afraid to do so, more so than Cap, Bucky still felt guilty for all of the killing he did during the war. When he was captured by the Red Skull just before he became Cap, Doctor Faustus attempted to use his time during the war as a means to turn Bucky back into a killing machine. But even then, Bucky exclaimed that he and the Invaders were soldiers, explaining that they HAD to kill despite not wanting to. He understood it was a war, and in war you have to kill, but Bucky never enjoyed it, just as the rest of the Invaders didn't...well, I can't say Namor didn't enjoy it a little. xD

Yeah, that scenario with Faustus was the one I was thinking about with my earlier; when he was trying to reprogram Bucky, telling him that the Invaders were like gods, but he was just a killer, but Bucky's mind was too resistant, stating that it was war, & that they all had to kill, even though they didn't want to- there's always a darker side to war- & that nothing Faustus could do could convince him that those men weren't heroes. I loved that issue, showed Bucky's resistance & more of the "truth" about him & the Invaders. I agree though- I think Namor might have enjoyed killing a bit- even today, I think he truly enjoyed killing the Man With No Face, but with what he & Chin did with the Torch, he had good reason. I also love Namor's comments to Bucky when Bucky at first said he would've said he didn't have to do that, how he commented that at first bucky sounded like Rogers, until he talked about how inhumanely they treated the Torch, & Namor said: "Now you sound like the old Bucky Barnes." In retrospect, Bru wrote a great Namor lol

As long as they show Bucky fighting his guilt, & continuing to strive for redemption, I'm happy, & it sounds like Kot is intending to deliver on that. I think the creative team is going to do an awesome job, can't wait to see Bucky explore new frontiers- both externally & internally.

@slimj87d said:

@war_killer: @winter_kills: sorry guys, it's actually the black and red star and it was when he mind was read by that one ghost hacker. Happens in issue 17 or 18.

Man,jason Latour run wasn't bad at all, I wish he continued it.

Oh yeah, I remember that. Yeah, Latour was pretty good. I think it was difficult for him because he had to follow Bru, who was considered the WS writer; his & Klein's run is definitely underrated. But, the explanation that he's sporting the red star as a reminder of Natasha is a pretty good one, though. At first I thought it was just artistic license inspired from the movie.

@slimj87d said:

Now that you mentioned it, I see the reflection too! At first I thought it could be young Bucky, that would be logical, with all the imagery of these pieces of himself & his past, but it kinda had a bit of a feminine look as well, hard to tell. This is one of those great art pieces you have to look at a few times to get all the imagery in it.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@slimj87d: @winter_kills: I found it, it's issue #18.

No Caption Provided

I actually like that explanation as it shows that despite Bucky trying to move on, the black star is reminder of what he's lost along the way.

Though personally, when it comes to the black/red star, I prefer the one he has on his arm in All-New Invaders.

No Caption Provided

@slimj87d said:

Yeah, I noticed it too. At first I thought it was Daisy Johnson, but I have a feeling it's the face of this princess from Mer'z'Bow that Kot mentioned in the interview.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d: @jonny_anonymous: @war_killer: @kleo_94: @thexx

Hey guys, thought I'd post some pics of Bucky wielding Cap's shield long before he became Captain America(and also without the aid of a bionic arm); the first one's a very old one, maybe one of the earliest instances of Buck using the shield:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Aw man, the shield tossing ability is becoming so inconsistent. Hasn't Bucky said it was thanks to his metal arm he could use it? Don't these writers read on the characters they're given?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills said:

@slimj87d: @jonny_anonymous: @war_killer: @kleo_94: @thexx

Hey guys, thought I'd post some pics of Bucky wielding Cap's shield long before he became Captain America(and also without the aid of a bionic arm); the first one's a very old one, maybe one of the earliest instances of Buck using the shield:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Aw man, the shield tossing ability is becoming so inconsistent. Hasn't Bucky said it was thanks to his metal arm he could use it? Don't these writers read on the characters they're given?

The first image I believe isn't even canon anymore; in the second image all Bucky did was carry the shield, and in the third he simply used it to block a ball of fire and manged to throw it once right after. I don't know where the forth image is from, but I have a feeling it's probably not considered canon either, though I could be wrong.

But even so, the only thing Bucky's arm allows him to do with the shield is keep his arm from breaking when the shield is hit with a powerful enough attack, as well it makes throwing the shield a bit easier. I don't believe it's ever been stated Bucky couldn't wield the shield without his arm, it's just been stated that the arm helps. In Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America, Hawkeye could handle the shield just fine and I don't believe he had any type of enhancements at the time. Neither does Falcon who will soon be wielding the shield as well.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d: @winter_kills: I found it, it's issue #18.

No Caption Provided

I actually like that explanation as it shows that despite Bucky trying to move on, the black star is reminder of what he's lost along the way.

Though personally, when it comes to the black/red star, I prefer the one he has on his arm in All-New Invaders.

No Caption Provided

@slimj87d said:

Yeah, I noticed it too. At first I thought it was Daisy Johnson, but I have a feeling it's the face of this princess from Mer'z'Bow that Kot mentioned in the interview.

Thank for clearing that up! I was looking through my books, trying to figure out where it came from- sheer number of books I have that takes awhile! :p Don't know how I missed this though, I guess Bru's stories have been at the forefront of my brain lately. Like I told Slim, Latour's stories were good, but unfortunately he had big shoes to fill, so his run tends to get overshadowed. I like the explanation for it, & the imagery too- it makes perfect sense.

Yeah, that could definitely be the princess Kot was talking about. Like I said earlier, I'm very interested in learning more about this planet, & the role it plays in the series. I think it's now even more likely we might get that WS/Guardians encounter/team-up we were talking about.

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bucky looks so badass on this cover I can't even breathe :D

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#450  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Yeah, that could definitely be the princess Kot was talking about. Like I said earlier, I'm very interested in learning more about this planet, & the role it plays in the series. I think it's now even more likely we might get that WS/Guardians encounter/team-up we were talking about.

Yeah, and the fact that both Winter Soldier and GotG are big names due to their movies, the idea of them encounter one another isn't that hard to believe.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.