• 48 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

BUCKY BARNES: THE WINTER SOLDIER #1 is on sale Wednesday, October 1.

The Good

If you read ORIGINAL SIN, you're aware of the job Nick Fury took on to protect Earth. That job has not passed to Bucky Barnes. Bucky's had it tough lately. After his death, Buckywas a puppet of the Soviet government. In the present day, he finally overcame his programming and started the road to being a hero once again, even taking on the mantle of Captain America. Soon it became necessary for him to be presumed dead as he continued working covert missions. Now he has been thrust into a new role to protect the Earth, whether he likes it or not.

This new direction opens the door for a wide variety of stories. In this first issue alone, we see Bucky embark on missions in very different locations. This goes against the expectations we may have had when this series was first announced. There's no telling what type of missions he'll go on or where he'll have to travel to. Ales Kot is no stranger to setting up unexpected situations and you know you should be expecting the unexpected.

As seen in the preview, Daisy Johnson also appears in the issue offering some assistance. Whether or not she remains a part of the series, you'll have to wait and see. While Bucky may work great alone, because of the nature of the missions he'll have to go on, the idea of having a connection back to the core 616 world is a nice touch. There's a lot of potential for this series and it appears there won't be many limits.

Marco Rudy's art is something you need to prepare for. By "prepare," I mean it's like taking a trip. You don't really see many comics with art like this these days. The art immediately sets the mood and tone of the series. This is definitely not the Winter Soldier series you might have expected. Rudy's art and colors can be an almost psychedelic trip and moments of simple conversations make you feel like the characters are in a far off and secluded place.

The Bad

The concept of the story is incredibly fascinating with plenty of opportunities for a wide variation in the type of stories we'll get. Where it might be a problem is for diehard Bucky fans. Bucky hasn't really had a moment of peace. This is exactly something Kot points out. It might be a little difficult to accept Bucky's new role but there's no denying how exciting it could be at the same time.

Ales Kot is a funny and brilliant guy. As seen in SECRET AVENGERS, he has no problem adding in humor in any situation. Bucky deserves to have some humor in his life but the couple times it appears here, it feels a little strange. Part of it is the situation and the other is the art. Marco Rudy's art conveys a certain tone. With the nature of the job Bucky has been tasked with, the humor might not fit in. Even though it's great to see Bucky isn't a cold robot of a character. There is a moment or two where you'll want to pay close attention to the art to be sure of exactly what is going on. In those moments, the dialogue needs to fit the situation.

The Verdict

We're seeing some big changes in Marvel characters these days. Marvel is showing they have no problem shaking things up in order to deliver some different types of stories. We've seen Bucky Barnes go through some changes since it was revealed he survived his initial death but this is a completely different direction. After the events of ORIGINAL SIN, Bucky is going to have his hands full taking on some pretty insane missions. Joining Ales Kot is Marco Rudy. Marco's art can get pretty trippy and it immediately establishes the tone of the series. Kot tries to lighten up the mood with a couple moments of light humor. This new role for Bucky creates excitement and some trepidation for fans. It's not always easy to see beloved characters go in new directions but Ales Kot is prepared to shake things up completely. This is a nice start to a brand new Bucky comic. Reading this series is going to be an experience you won't forget.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

This is my most eagerly awaited book in a long time.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

4 stars? hmmm that means the book is not good. not buying it!

jk I'll even just buy it for the art, it looks so good!!!

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Really looking forward to this book, as strange as it looks

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Cap10nate

Very excited for my favorite character (rotates back and forth between Buck and Steve) and I am interested in the direction with what looks like amazing art. I'm disappointed that you point out Kot's humor as a negative considering you are a fan of Secret Avengers. I hate his humor in that book and decided to drop it after the last issue. I was hoping that this book would be devoid of that. I'm not against humor in the books but his seems very forced and slap stick as opposed to witty or subtle. Stull very excited regardless. Might have to actually grab this in print as opposed to just digital to admire that art.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

O_O

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This looks like is shaping up to be the perfect replacement for Green Arrow on my pull list.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: the humor isn't close to that level of that makes you feel better. I do want Bucky to have some humor in his life. Otherwise what could be a crappy and forced job would be even worse. It's more that that one moment, with Marco's art, it felt a little out place. I might be judging a little harshly because I really like Bucky.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Review some of the DC #1 books early, dang it! I wanna see if Lobo or Gotham Academy is worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Can't wait

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: can't review 'em early if the publishers don't send them or allow it.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_stegman  Moderator

@g_man: Curse DC and their secretive ways! I'm on the fence about both those series and I need other opinions, oh well, just two more days.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: That's good. I am very excited for this series regardless of my reservations against Kot as a writer. I like Zero well enough but very disappointed with Secret Avengers after I loved Spencer's run on the book until the rushed ending as it was handed off.

4Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I m in. Hope this book go cosmic!

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Bucky should be renamed "the Galactic Assassin" instead of "Winter Soldier" now that he's doing covert ops in outer space. hahahahaha

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By micah007123

I'm on board for at least the first issue.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#18  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Going off this review, there doesn't seem to really be any problems which is something I'm glad to see. Something that has been an issue with Bucky lately is that no one other than Brubaker can really write the character properly. Typically people tend to write him too detached and series (like in Bendis' New Avengers) or too jokey (like in All-New Invaders). Bucky is both of those things, he's very series and does have a sense of humor, but there's a balance that most writers never seem able to get just right.

Maybe Bucky should be renamed "the Galactic Assassin" instead of "Winter Soldier" now that he's doing covert ops in outer space. hahahahaha

I'm sure other planets have a "winter" too. :P

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

This is my most eagerly awaited book in a long time.

I know how you feel, brother! Wednesday can't get here friggin' fast enough!

@4thor said:

I m in. Hope this book go cosmic!

Welcome to the Bucky fold, Viking brother! Strap yourself in because I think it's gonna be a fun, cosmic ride!

Going off this review, there doesn't seem to really be any problems which is something I'm glad to see. Something that has been an issue with Bucky lately is that no one other than Brubaker can really write the character properly. Typically people tend to write him too detached and series (like in Bendis' New Avengers) or too jokey (like in All-New Invaders). Bucky is both of those things, he's very series and does have a sense of humor, but there's a balance that most writers never seem able to get just right.

@vandersexxx said:

I'm sure other planets have a "winter" too. :P

I agree with this completely. For the longest time only Bru seemed to get him; Bucky can be very serious & somber, but he can deflect with some humor or dry wit to his situation(& he can be a bit of a smartmouth; the stuff he says to villains was always cool, like for some reason I found his fight with Crossbones as Cap kinda funny, unintentionally, things he said & did, maybe just my weird sense of humor); Bru did this very well throughout his entire run, struck the balance so nicely. I agree, when Bendis wrote him it was like he was just "there", & that's it, & I definitely agree he jokes too much in All-New Invaders. Hell, I felt Jason Aaron's portrayal of him(& how other characters related to him) in Original Sin was off, just...off. But based on the previews, it seems that Kot gets Bucky's "voice": it sounds like the Bucky I've come to know & love, with all the anecdotes and darkness from his Cold War experiences, countered by a bit of cynical, dry humor. As long as they keep that balance, I'm cool with it. Not too dark & serious, but not too jokey with too many one-liners either. I have a feeling that Kot might be able to achieve this balance.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Can't wait until Friday to read mine. I also ordered the Epting variant. Well worth fifteen bucks...

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: Exactly, one of my favorite lines from Bucky was right after he "died" in Fear Itself and was brought back, Black Widow told him he had died and his reply was simply "Oh, that again. That trick never works." or when he told Steve to make all of the girls cry at his funeral. It's things like that, dry humor as you put it, that appeared to be Bucky's way brushing off the seriousness of the different situations he was in.

The problem I see some writers continue to do, especially in All-New Invaders, is that they write Bucky like he acted back in World War II as Cap's partner. Back then he was more "jokey," though not as much as say like Dick Grayson's Robin, but he would be the one to make a joke when he and Cap were in a serious situation. Brubaker understood that Bucky had grown up in a sense, both from his time during the war and more so as the Winter Soldier. He's seen and done things that have in a way, harden his heart and he's much more serious than he was when he was Cap's partner. Most writers, for whatever reason, just can't seem to get that when writing him, but so far Kot's take on Bucky has me hopeful.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Bucky/WS but think I'm going to pass on this series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @captainhoopla said:

I love Bucky/WS but think I'm going to pass on this series.

But then why not support the character by supporting his new series? :O

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: @dagmar_merrill: I'm just not crazy about Bucky in space. If the book and concept holds up, I might read the first trade then pick up singles. I'll definitely be reading reviews and comments to see what people are saying about it going forward.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not a fan of the art

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainhoopla: just remember that trades don't keep a series running. At least buy the first issue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: not nearly as much as singles. It works very similarly to a TV series that comes out weekly, the ratings matter much more than DVD sales later.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d: It's how most of Vertigo and the Jonah Hex series survive(d)

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By slimj87d

@dagmar_merrill: yes, but we're talking about marvel. They're the ones that usually cancel series if they float around 33K sales a month. That's actually better than most vertigo sales also.

Somewhere out there exist a QA with Matt Fraction about series getting cancelled, his response was to support the series monthly.

From a financial standpoint it makes sense, and by looking at Marvels trend on series that have been cancelled.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I have to say that my biggest problem with this first issue was the art. Overall it looked great, like the full two-page spread of Fury's secret space station, but the art also made it very difficult to follow the story, especially near the end where Bucky's teaming up with Namor. I'm also unsure of exactly what happened at the end, mainly due to the art, but did Bucky get shot by that mysterious person on the last page? O_o

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I have to say that my biggest problem with this first issue was the art. Overall it looked great, like the full two-page spread of Fury's secret space station, but the art also made it very difficult to follow the story, especially near the end where Bucky's teaming up with Namor. I'm also unsure of exactly what happened at the end, mainly due to the art, but did Bucky get shot by that mysterious person on the last page? O_o

Yes he did get shot. That person also appears to be Bucky from the future. You can see that he has his metal arm with the star and looks much older.

I enjoyed the issue a lot. I read it through Comixology on my phone so I wasn't able to appreciate the art to it's fullest. I'll probably stop by to get a store to pick up an issue to really enjoy the art. I do agree that it was hard to follow at points, and if you do not take time to enjoy and absorb the art, it can be a very quick read. Kot's dialogue was good for the most part. Some of the humor that he tried to interject fell flat for me in a scene with Daisy and another with Namor. I'm excited to see where it goes from here.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@cap10nate: Okay, yeah. That's what it seemed like happened, I just wasn't really sure as the art was a bit unclear.

Yeah, that does appear to be Bucky from the future, which is pretty interesting as it seems a bit random but I'm curious as to where that will lead.

I read the comic on Comixology on my home computer. The guided view helps a little bit, but there are points that you have to step back and make sure you're reading the issue in the right order, as the art can at points get a little...psychedelic, to say the least. The art itself looked great, but there were times I had to go back a reread something simply to understand what happened.

The parts with Daisy seemed like just simple set-up, a way for Kot to connect the book back to Nick Fury and Original Sin, while still keeping the story moving forward. I liked the quick team-up with Namor, though it did feel a bit random. I did laugh though at the whole "Imperious Sex" joke Bucky made at the end. But I guess the whole scene made sense as it leads to Bucky heading to Asgard next issue.

Overall I think 4 out-of 5 is a fair rating. This was a good first issue, I believe the art is probably the biggest issue. I thought Kot's writing was fine, but when put with Rudy's art it can be hard to follow at times. In the end though we're left with Bucky having literally the whole universe as his playground and I look forward to seeing where this creative team decides to take him next.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Cap10nate

@war_killer: The one part that I had trouble following with the art was basically the whole scene underwater. That was real hard to follow or even tell who/what the smugglers were. I agree that the guided view helped, but I still want to get the physical copy to see it in it's full layout.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: Yeah, the art did make it hard to figure out exactly what was happening. I couldn't tell if they were fighting aliens or just random Altanteans.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imperious Sex. Ha.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I also had trouble following the underwater scene.

And did anyone else think "Imperious Sex" wasn't that funny?

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are they being ironic, with a psychedelic art layout, and psychedelic pills in the story ... is Bucky trippin' the whole time ... man, my condition must be fading, because I had the hardest time putting word balloons to faces. Still enjoyable, will definitely get the next issue. Thor was the best new comic this week, though.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By VanderSEXXX

Are they being ironic, with a psychedelic art layout, and psychedelic pills in the story ... is Bucky trippin' the whole time ... man, my condition must be fading, because I had the hardest time putting word balloons to faces. Still enjoyable, will definitely get the next issue. Thor was the best new comic this week, though.

I have a feeling reading this issue while stoned might make better sense. hahahahahahaha

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @xwraith said:

And did anyone else think "Imperious Sex" wasn't that funny?

I wasn't rolling on the floor laughing, but I'll admit that it did make me chuckle, though just after doing so I did shake my head as I know I probably shouldn't have laughed. xD

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Winter_Kills

@winter_kills: Exactly, one of my favorite lines from Bucky was right after he "died" in Fear Itself and was brought back, Black Widow told him he had died and his reply was simply "Oh, that again. That trick never works." or when he told Steve to make all of the girls cry at his funeral. It's things like that, dry humor as you put it, that appeared to be Bucky's way brushing off the seriousness of the different situations he was in.

The problem I see some writers continue to do, especially in All-New Invaders, is that they write Bucky like he acted back in World War II as Cap's partner. Back then he was more "jokey," though not as much as say like Dick Grayson's Robin, but he would be the one to make a joke when he and Cap were in a serious situation. Brubaker understood that Bucky had grown up in a sense, both from his time during the war and more so as the Winter Soldier. He's seen and done things that have in a way, harden his heart and he's much more serious than he was when he was Cap's partner. Most writers, for whatever reason, just can't seem to get that when writing him, but so far Kot's take on Bucky has me hopeful.

Oh man, I loved those scenes! You just gave the best example of Bucky's dry wit; which he uses to deflect the difficult situations he faces, situations that would break a lesser man, or drive them insane, & to cope with the darker, grittier world he is immersed in.

You're absolutely right; writers often make the mistake of portraying Bucky being the resident wise-cracker, wise-ass & smartmouth he was when he was Cap's partner & a member of the Invaders. He was younger then, it was a part of his personality as the scrappy army brat, but also a form of deflection of the horrors of the wars & the dirtier jobs he had to do, even then. But as you said, Bru had Bucky grow up in a sense; & not in a pleasant way; he lived an entire life in a darker bloodier world, decades of being a programmed assassin, & with his memories returned, the memories of those events are there, but with his returned morality comes his guilt at the blood on his hands; as you said his heart is more hardened from seeing that darker side, & his actions are to use the skills that were once used for less-than-noble purposes to help the world, & begin to try to find redemption. He's a very different Bucky from the two-fisted smart-mouthed partner of Cap of yesteryear, & I think some writers forget that. His humor, to me, should be dry wit & cynical commentary that help him to deflect these situations that are darker & dirtier than most heroes find themselves involved in, as well as how these events make the sins of his past resurface. So far, Kot has me hopeful as well; he seems to get how Bucky has matured as a character; I don't find the humor too jarring. So far great start to what I hope to be a great series!!

@cap10nate: Okay, yeah. That's what it seemed like happened, I just wasn't really sure as the art was a bit unclear.

Yeah, that does appear to be Bucky from the future, which is pretty interesting as it seems a bit random but I'm curious as to where that will lead.

I read the comic on Comixology on my home computer. The guided view helps a little bit, but there are points that you have to step back and make sure you're reading the issue in the right order, as the art can at points get a little...psychedelic, to say the least. The art itself looked great, but there were times I had to go back a reread something simply to understand what happened.

The parts with Daisy seemed like just simple set-up, a way for Kot to connect the book back to Nick Fury and Original Sin, while still keeping the story moving forward. I liked the quick team-up with Namor, though it did feel a bit random. I did laugh though at the whole "Imperious Sex" joke Bucky made at the end. But I guess the whole scene made sense as it leads to Bucky heading to Asgard next issue.

Overall I think 4 out-of 5 is a fair rating. This was a good first issue, I believe the art is probably the biggest issue. I thought Kot's writing was fine, but when put with Rudy's art it can be hard to follow at times. In the end though we're left with Bucky having literally the whole universe as his playground and I look forward to seeing where this creative team decides to take him next.

This, exactly. This pretty much sums up how I feel about the issue as well. The psychedellia of Rudy's art can be a bit hard to follow, but the more I read it the more I get it; I do like the trippiness of it, & I feel this won't be as extreme in other stories, it just fit the tone for this one. (I actually imagine listening to some trippy, spacey 70s rock while reading this issue, maybe some David Bowie or T-Rex, to help fit the mood lol) I think like with all new books, the creative team has to get their bearings, the writer & artists have to get sympatico & know how to play off one another, but I don't think that will take long with them. As you said Buck now literally has the whole MU as his playground, & I look forward to where the story takes him next- I think it's gonna be a great cosmic ride with one of my favorite characters, & I'm gonna strap myself in & enjoy the ride!

(On a side note, I admit "Imperious Sex" had me laughing way harder than it should...guess it's been a long week :P )

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@winter_kills: The writing I thought was fine, nothing really stood out to me while reading the issue that had me concerned or saying "that's not how Bucky would act." Like I've mentioned before, my only real complaint is that the art does make it a bit hard to follow the actual story. But after having read the issue multiple times now I do believe that over time, Rudy's art becomes easier to follow. It really comes down to preparing yourself first and then taking your time to make sure you're moving through the story correctly.

Honestly the art is pretty awesome overall. Like I mentioned above, there's a huge two-age spread of Fury's secret space station in orbit above Earth with the sun shining in the background. The spread also has Bucky's head interwoven into the blackness of space, making for a pretty awesome scene that I couldn't help but stop and simply admire. (Which isn't something I do very often when reading a comic.)

The only thing missing from the scene was Bucky calling Namor "Subby." lol

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I agree with some of the others that the art was pretty disorienting. The space station splash was wonderful but the underwater scenes were just like those paintings you see where people splash a bunch of paint on the canvas.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By HumanRocket

I had difficulty following the story because of the art work. It made hard at times to know which character was speaking. Really bad first issue experince for me. I think it was harder to read for me because I was reading it off the Marvel app so I only had the letter box to read before zooming up to the full page view. Hope the art work gets better, didnt know Daisy was in this series so I'm excited about that.

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Aesthetically, I really liked the artwork in this book. However it made it difficult to follow at times, in particular on some pages exactly who is speaking.

I had to read it twice to really take everything in, but i really enjoyed the issue. I'll definitely check out a few more.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Finally got the chance to read it - defininity going to have to go back and re-read this later and pay better attention. I have a feeling this is going to be a hard series to follow.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#50  Edited By Teerack

This completely sucked. I was looking forward to it because the art was so pretty, but my god this book was presented in a total and complete mess. It was like they didn't tell the artist what he was supposed to be drawing and had to do guess work based one some cliff notes and then they just slapped the cliff notes on the art like they were the story for the hell of it.

Both the writer and artist are good at writer and making art, but clearly neither one of them has any idea how to collaborate to make a comic book. I really hope Marvel is smart here and has someone come in to hold their hands and make sure they are making a comic book and not an art book with some story notes sprinkled on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.