Follow

Buck Rogers

Character » Buck Rogers appears in 462 issues.

The first comic space-man flies on!

BUCK ROGERS Flies onto Screens

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

New Buck.
     New Buck.

One of comics’ oldest heroes could be returning to the big screen, courtesy of the director of MORTAL KOMBAT and DEATH RACE Deadline’ s just announced that Paul WS Anderson's attached to direct a BUCK ROGERS movie, working off a script by IRON MAN co-writers Art Marcum and Matt Holloway. Odds are that some of you may only be familiar with Mr. Rogers (the one whose neighborhood is GALACTIC) due to the Dynamite comic that recently relaunched the character recently.  

Buck Rogers has been around since the 20s. Though he started as a pulp fiction hero,  he was quickly better known for his comics adventures and for starring in film and radio serials. Basically, his origin’s a jetpacked-powered, double-fisted take-off on Rip Van Winkle. He was an US Air Corps officer who falls into a coma and subsequently re-awakens in the 25th Century for all kinds of rip-roaring, swashbuckling adventures.  If you’ve heard of Flash Gordon, you’ll know that there’s a lot similarities between the two.

Classic Buck.
     Classic Buck.

Interestingly, I recall an announcement several months ago that Frank Miller was going to write and direct a BUCK ROGERS movie, himself. Considering that THE SPIRIT didn’t do that well, I’d imagine that Paradox, the company that owns the rights to this character, might have had second thoughts. Interestingly, they also hold the rights to another adventure hero who has a long literary and comics history - - Conan the Barbarian.  They’re producing CONAN reboot that’s currently shooting, right as we speak.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jordanstine
    First I get screwed over by Ryan Reynolds, and now THIS!?

Anyone else strangely thought of Duck Dogers?
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By No_name_here
    @Jordanstine: I'd figure. Duck Dogers is a parody of Buck Rogers.
    Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Namor1987
    @Jordanstine said:
    "

Anyone else strangely thought of Duck Dogers? "
    me lol
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as long as Twiki is in it im game.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Decept-O
    @CATMANEXE said:
    "as long as Twiki is in it im game. "

Please tell me you're joking.  "Beedie Beedie Beedie Beep."  Uh, no.  Although I love repeating Twiki's line.   

Buck Rogers RULES.  Love the story, always have.  "F" Star Wars, Buck is where it's at.   Granted the Buck Rogers TV show with Gil Gerard and ...Erin Gray.....mmmm...uh, excuse me....was full of cheese and the like, I hope a possible Buck Rogers movie can be done with some taste and decorum and plenty of the Sci-Fi elements the Buck Rogers story has.  Hopefully it won't get messed up.   

Not familiar with the director as I've not seen Mortal Kombat (just bits here and there) nor Death Race but at least he seems to know action/adventure.  Sadly, Miller's turns as a director have not gone well.  His scripts have been hit and miss, too.  Don't know why.  He's done some great work, we all know but some of his other efforts just haven't sailed.  Kind of weird.  So yeah, hate to say, glad they aren't letting MIller get involved with it.  MAYBE he could do something good but I wouldn't want to chance it.   

Didn't know Conan the Librarian was filming.  Oh, the Barbarian.  Sorry.   Sounds awesome, but I don't know if anything can match the awesomeness that was Ah-nold back in the day.  The Conan movies were great for what they were.  However, I HOPE the movies be gritty and more "barbarian"  like the books and comics.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By damswedon
    @Namor1987: i would rather have a Duck Dodgers in 24th and half century film.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Awesome, I wonder if they'll stick close to the original serials and radio or totally reinvent the character.

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd

Ive been thinkin about this since I was 19....................... thoughts go in circles my ass ¬_¬

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Bruce Vain

Paul Andersen is actually a good choice for this since his last space movie Event Horizon was great & dark.
    123jeffc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By 123jeffc
    @CATMANEXE said:

" as long as Twiki is in it im game. "

Twiki is the most phallic looking robot in robot history.  I liked Buck Rogers. I wonder if Gary Coleman will make another guest apperance? In some of the episodes, it looks like Twiki's eyes were drawn in with a Sharpie marker.

"Bee Dee Bee Dee  Do you think I would look good in a turtle neck sweater? Bee Dee Bee Dee"

Avatar image for _1elderscrollsfan
    #1ElderScrollsFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow cool.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12  Edited By jakob187

Paul W.S. Anderson is attached? 

*ugh*  /facepalm 

Hopefully, this will be more in the Event Horizon camp of awesome than the Resident Evil camp of crap.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @123jeffc said:
    " @CATMANEXE said:

" as long as Twiki is in it im game. "

Twiki is the most phallic looking robot in robot history.  I liked Buck Rogers. I wonder if Gary Coleman will make another guest apperance? In some of the episodes, it looks like Twiki's eyes were drawn in with a Sharpie marker.
    "Bee Dee Bee Dee Do you think I would look good in a turtle neck sweater? Bee Dee Bee Dee"

"

Oh how I miss Mel Blanc :(
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ah, the memories. 
    so out there, but i remember having Buck Rogers Board Game that played like
    an amped up interplanetary version of Risk.  i wish i still had that, it was awesome.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AngelFrost

Never heard of him. :/

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lordraiden

Paul W Anderson, never had faith in him to turn out a great picture.  Most things he's done have been average at best.  I got excited about this when I first reat the OP, till I read his name.  I fear this won't turn out well at all. Hope i'm wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.