Follow

Buck Rogers

Character » Buck Rogers appears in 462 issues.

The first comic space-man flies on!

Buck Rogers #0 review and thoughts...

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Methos

Buck Rogers #0
    Buck Rogers #0
    So it's that time again... Buck Rogers has finally made his way back into the world of graphic media... but this time he really makes a bang with his arrival...

Issue #0 pretty much served as an introduction piece to the story, and for anyone familiar with the old Buck Rogers series, you'll pretty much know what to expect on reading it.

The issue was pencilled and colored by Carlos Rafael and Carlos Lopez respectfully, and that's pretty much a damn good combination for any comic, but in this title I feel they have really found their home turf.

The entire issue has the feel that Buck Rogers needs, it's got the futuristic feel going for it quite happily and works well, but it's also got the little old touches that so many Buck Rogers fans will recognise and love, like the old style 'hose style ray guys'.

No Caption Provided
    Ok, now onto the characters...

Firstly we have the title character, Buck Rogers... ok, he's written just as he was in the old series... a gung ho hero from the 21st century... out of his time (I'm not entirely sure when this series is supposed to take place... or if it's going to go through multiple time zones as is hinted)

A few twists this time around... Buck's a blonde for starters when he's always been dark haired in the past... but he has the same attitude throughout this mini issue that left me really looking forward to the next issue.

Commander Deering? Nope, not this time around...
    Commander Deering? Nope, not this time around...
    And now we turn to Commander Deering....

wait, hold on... Commander Wilma Deering is a lovely redhead in a skin-tight Lycra suit.... where the hell has she gone...

Nope, she's been replaced... this time Commander Deering is the bloke in charge of the space station Buck operates from...

Ok... so you've played about with a few of the characters... I can respect that... changing Wilma Deering to a bloke.... ok, sorry, can't respect that... she was a hottie back in the old TV series and one of my favourite characters in the old comic...

Commander Deering - Top left... Male... ok, so the skintight suit is still there, but he just doesn't pull it off as good as Wilma did...
    Commander Deering - Top left... Male... ok, so the skintight suit is still there, but he just doesn't pull it off as good as Wilma did...
    So who have we got as Buck's love interest this time around... well, so far, my money is on the lovely Blonde that's second in command of the space station... the enigmatic Captain Wynona...

Ok, so now we have a new love interest, changing the previous love interest to a bloke.... fair enough... I'll wait for the next issue to see what happens...

But if you're expecting something new from this series, I've got a feeling you won't be disappointed... it has a fresh new feel but while still retaining the old 'futuristic but retro' feel of the old series... I think this one will be a series that grabs a lot of new readers while still keeping hold of the old fans to come back for more futuristic fun.

Wynona... the new love interest?
    Wynona... the new love interest?
    It's time travel with a twist people and it's done in typical Buck Rogers fashion.

7/10 for the pilot issue, and I can't wait to see what they do with the rest.

Commander Methos from the Twenty First century, signing out

M
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Methos

no more Buck Rogers fans?

a sad, sad day....

M

Teen Manatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Teen Manatee

I was planning to buy it..

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Methos

it's good...

a fun run through with some recognizable characters and some new ones

can't wait for issue #1

M

Storm Rider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Storm Rider

I bought this issue this past weekend, figuring I couldn't go wrong with the price. I am glad I picked it up and have added Buck Rogers to my pull list. This should be  a really fun series.

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dane

I've never heard of Buck Rogers but if you say its worth a read Methos I'll keep my eye out.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By lordraiden
    Methos said:
    "no more Buck Rogers fans?a sad, sad day....M"

Love Buck Rogers! Took me a few go's to get my head around the new issue, especially the Deering part, was hell confused the first time! Buck, blonde? Maybe the penciler was thinking Flash, as in Gordon lol.  I more or less like it, for preview issue, not that crash hot on the Deering switcheroo, but i'll see how it play's out.
    dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dane

Dude that issue rocked faces. And I usually don't care greatly for sci-fi comics.

Storm Rider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Storm Rider
    lordraiden said:
    "Methos said:
    "no more Buck Rogers fans?a sad, sad day....M"
    Love Buck Rogers! Took me a few go's to get my head around the new issue, especially the Deering part, was hell confused the first time! Buck, blonde? Maybe the penciler was thinking Flash, as in Gordon lol.  I more or less like it, for preview issue, not that crash hot on the Deering switcheroo, but i'll see how it play's out."
    I am hoping Buck jumps into another timeline and finds the Deering that we all know and love. Either way, I really enjoyed the issue and look forward to the series. For someone who only remembers Buck as the guy in the white jumpsuit from the TV show of my (very) early childhood, I am looking forward to seeing how he gets modernized (yet again) for a generation of people who may not even know who he is anymore!
    Storm Rider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Storm Rider

According to the new issue of Wizard, Wilma Deering IS going to be a part of this series. There's even a sketch of the new design for her included in the article. Writer Scott Beatty is quoted as saying, "Wilma Deering is as important to the series as Buck is. She's the primary heroine of the future, and Buck's first contact with the 26th century".

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.