Follow

Bruce Lee

Character » Bruce Lee appears in 98 issues.

Arguably the most influential figure in modern martial arts, Bruce Lee is the backbone of Mixed Martial Arts and the philosophy of Jeet Kune Do. Broadening the Western world to the numerous styles of East Asia, he is credited with the rising popularity of eastern martial arts, and partially thanked for the popularity of eastern philosophy in the West.

Bruce Lee Respect Thread

• 71 results
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I like Bruce for the movies.I could give a f#ck if he was in a real fight or not.I don't know what Jackie Chan has done outside of movies but I respect him and I like his movies.All this other stuff I don't get.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By lordraiden
    the human Juggernaut said:
    "lordraiden said:
    "the human Juggernaut said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "lordraiden said:
    "geodoc said:
    "Bruce Lee was a complete package.  A true gung fu master.  Bruce Lee > Chuck Norris though I also like Chuck.

Feats:    

One Inch punch sends another martial artist flying 10 feet  His quote "I don't know what happend to me.  I would not fight him"
    Running side kick breaks 7 out of eight boards.
    Running side kick exploades a heavy bag.
    Frequently did two finger push-ups.

There's a lot more.  I'll search for picks."
    he was not the complete package.  He was pretty one dimensional."

sorry dude, you've just gone down several notches :-("
    Seconded."
    lol.  I'd love for people to explain why he was such a great fighter.

hint: a fight in a movie is not a real fight."

Hint: Movies was his outlet for his Martial Arts! MA & Philospy was his passion, the movies was his way of getting out to the world as well as enjoying what he does! If you read up on him and lean enough, you'll realize he wasn't a movie star who portrayed a martial arts master, he was a martial arts master who USED the movie/media outlet for his love of MA and philosophy. You'd also know that he grow up with the gangs in HK and his parents moved him out of HK to get him out of his trouble with fighting and the gang lifestyle, which was obviously successfull! You'd realise that he's had numerous challenges, quite a few just on the set of Enter the Dragon! So, he's no a celluloid cardoard cutout, quite the opposite! He's q very philisophical man as much a physical/MA man! To put it mildly, he's a LEGEND!"
    don't kid yourself, he "USED" the movies to make money."

Juggy, I'll give you some inside re: myself! I never KID myself in this life! I grew up with Bruce Lee as a kid and learned alot about him and his lifestyle as I grew up and grew older! I'm not some avid Bruce Lee fan who's just watched his movies and like him cause he LOOKS good! Far from it, and he did far from USE movies JUST for the money! You, my friend, sound very one dimensional in your view of him and even more so in your knowledge of him! I'm not gonna try and convince you to like him or to try to get you to believe anything about him you don't want to, but don't say things based on your biased onesided information! I've leaned alot about him and from him over the last twenty five years of my life! And he could teach you a trick or two, that I have no doubt about ;-)
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By Korg
    Vance Astro said:
    "I like Bruce for the movies.I could give a f#ck if he was in a real fight or not.I don't know what Jackie Chan has done outside of movies but I respect him and I like his movies.All this other stuff I don't get."
    THJ doesn't think much of him. Apparently he was just a money-grubbing actor with some very limited training. All he did was make some movies, and he was in it purely for the money.
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By G'bandit

I don't think Bruce was really a greedy man.. I mean everyone likes money, no one can say they don't like money, but  he was more passionate about martial arts than just money. But then again, remember that he had a family to feed and having the opportunity of making money and not doing it would be something that only an idiot wouldn't do. 

You're a freaking action star! I say even if I'm a master and all, I would squeeze every second of my fame! You never know when something might happen and your fame drops.. Then you will regret not to squeeze your fame...

The fights he had in the sets, this was true

If you mix! 

Haters + Bruce's temper = Guy getting beat up

He was a nice guy, but everyone has its limits.

That dude in enter the dragon with the broken bottles, he swug the bottles and he cut Bruce's leg when Bruce wa suppose to kick him (Cut was real)

SO!  Bruce took revenge and didn't hold back his kicks afterwards, he hit the dude a couple of times XD

Is all in the special features of Enter the Dragon DVD XD

Avatar image for the_human_juggernaut
    the human Juggernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lordraiden said:
    "lordraiden said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "lordraiden said:
    "geodoc said:
    "Bruce Lee was a complete package.  A true gung fu master.  Bruce Lee > Chuck Norris though I also like Chuck.

Feats:    

One Inch punch sends another martial artist flying 10 feet  His quote "I don't know what happend to me.  I would not fight him"
    Running side kick breaks 7 out of eight boards.
    Running side kick exploades a heavy bag.
    Frequently did two finger push-ups.

There's a lot more.  I'll search for picks."
    he was not the complete package.  He was pretty one dimensional."

sorry dude, you've just gone down several notches :-("
    Seconded."
    lol.  I'd love for people to explain why he was such a great fighter.

hint: a fight in a movie is not a real fight."

Hint: Movies was his outlet for his Martial Arts! MA & Philospy was his passion, the movies was his way of getting out to the world as well as enjoying what he does! If you read up on him and lean enough, you'll realize he wasn't a movie star who portrayed a martial arts master, he was a martial arts master who USED the movie/media outlet for his love of MA and philosophy. You'd also know that he grow up with the gangs in HK and his parents moved him out of HK to get him out of his trouble with fighting and the gang lifestyle, which was obviously successfull! You'd realise that he's had numerous challenges, quite a few just on the set of Enter the Dragon! So, he's no a celluloid cardoard cutout, quite the opposite! He's q very philisophical man as much a physical/MA man! To put it mildly, he's a LEGEND!"
    don't kid yourself, he "USED" the movies to make money."

Juggy, I'll give you some inside re: myself! I never KID myself in this life! I grew up with Bruce Lee as a kid and learned alot about him and his lifestyle as I grew up and grew older! I'm not some avid Bruce Lee fan who's just watched his movies and like him cause he LOOKS good! Far from it, and he did far from USE movies JUST for the money! You, my friend, sound very one dimensional in your view of him and even more so in your knowledge of him! I'm not gonna try and convince you to like him or to try to get you to believe anything about him you don't want to, but don't say things based on your biased onesided information! I've leaned alot about him and from him over the last twenty five years of my life! And he could teach you a trick or two, that I have no doubt about ;-)"
    Teach me what? how to plagiarize in my writing?
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Korg

He would give you a lesson in pain. Or possibly nutrition.

Avatar image for alexander_anderson
    Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Korg said:
    "Alexander Anderson said:
    "He does not compare in any way, shape or form to the literally thousands of martial artists throughout history that lived and died by their fighting skill.  Martial arts was not a calling or a choice for them; it was a method of survival that helped them live through horrific circumstances.  No modern martial artist can lick the boots of those old masters, much less stand as their equal."
    Yes! And truly Hercules was the greatest wrestler of all time. He honed those skills through incredibly laborious tasks set before him by the gods of Olympus themselves! To even say you are a wrestler is to shame yourself and your family."
    I love the taste of fanboy tears.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Korg
    Alexander Anderson said:
    "I love the taste of fanboy tears."
    I love the sound of sarcasm flying right over a poster's head.
    santeria_smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By santeria_smith

dude its a bruce lee respect thread.

yall stop bitching and just talk about the good things about him. he was more of a martial artist than an actor. this is no doubt. you think if someone told him he had to choose between MA or acting he would choose acting? shit. if you think that you must be a fool.

bottom line. bruce lee is probably the most popular and legendary martial artist of all time. too bad.  he was a martial artist at heart. he created a MA school in LA and seattle. wrote 3 books  on the martial arts he practiced and created. and though anyone who trains in martial arts tries to avoid real life confrontation, self defense is necessary alot of times. and he trained almost over 100 students.  he is a legend. no one will ever change my mind. sure he wasn't the best martial artist ever, no where on this forum do you see me saying that, but he is probably the most influential.

Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Lantern Prime

BRUCE LEE ALL DAY! NO ONE CAN FIGHT THAT GUY IF HE WAS IN UFC HE'D DOMINATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Lantern Prime

BRUCE LEE ALL DAY! NO ONE CAN FIGHT THAT GUY IF HE WAS IN UFC HE'D DOMINATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

santeria_smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By santeria_smith

Some fights Bruce Lee attended OFF stage that are recorded:
    1958:vs. Gary Elms in a tournament. (Won)
    1958 or 1959:Against Chung on a rooftop in Hong Kong. (Won in 2nd Round)
    1960 - Seattle:Bruce backfisted a guy and busted his nose after Bruce saw him harrassing a Chinese Girl. Bruce was taking a walk. This fight was witnessed by James DeMile.
    1960 or 1961:vs. Uechi. (Won in 10 seconds)
    Summer 1963 - Hong Kong:Bruce snapped a low kick to a punk's shin after the punk and his friend harrassed him during an evening stroll.

Avatar image for alexander_anderson
    Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I give Bruce Lee all the respect that his achievements merit, which is quite a lot.  He was a great martial artist and a fine entertainer, and his impact on popular culture and the perception of martial arts has been enormous.  He deserves respect.

Korg said:

"Alexander Anderson said:
    "I love the taste of fanboy tears."
    I love the sound of sarcasm flying right over a poster's head."
    Sarcasm that thick?  It wouldn't go over Verne Troyer's head, much less mine. :)

It's all good though.
    Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Lantern Prime

Yeah his bodies up here in Seattle too.

santeria_smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By santeria_smith

yea i was watching this thing on him about the filming of enter the dragon. this dude was talking about bruce lee was demonstrating his skill and did this flying kick over this dudes shoulder, and his foot barely brushed across the mans ear.

it was wild.
    that takes mad skill.

Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Lantern Prime
    santeria_smith said:
    "yea i was watching this thing on him about the filming of enter the dragon. this dude was talking about bruce lee was demonstrating his skill and did this flying kick over this dudes shoulder, and his foot barely brushed across the mans ear.

it was wild.
    that takes mad skill."

Will there ever be some like him ever agian?
    gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By gunswordfist
    the human Juggernaut said:
    "gunswordfist said:
    "King Saturn said:
    "Bruce Lee did have fights outside of his films were he was effective
    "
    name them."

He beat up Sammo Hung. That's a fact."
    yes, in a movie."
    Nope, on a movie set in a real fight (and no not the fake fight they recorded) This is a fact, you can go research it yourself.
    gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By gunswordfist
    santeria_smith said:
    "

Challengers on the set

Lee's celebrity and martial arts prowess often put him on a collision course with a number of street thugs, stunt men and martial arts extras, all hoping to make a name for themselves. Lee typically defused such challenges without fighting, but felt forced to respond to several persistent individuals.

Bob Wall, USPK karate champion and co-star in Enter the Dragon, recalled a particularly serious encounter that transpired after a film extra kept taunting Lee. The extra yelled that Lee was "a movie star, not a martial artist," that he "wasn't much of a fighter." Lee answered his taunts by asking him to jump down from the wall he was sitting on. Bob Wall described Lee's opponent as "a gang-banger type of guy from Hong Kong," a "damned good martial artist," and observed that he was fast, strong, and bigger than Bruce.

Wall recalled the confrontation in detail:

"This kid was good. He was strong and fast, and he was really trying to punch Bruce's brains in. But Bruce just methodically took him apart.""Bruce kept moving so well, this kid couldn't touch him...Then all of a sudden, Bruce got him and rammed his ass into the wall and swept him, he proceeded to drop his knee into his opponent's chest, locked his arm out straight, and nailed him in the face repeatedly."

After his victory, Lee gave his opponent lessons on how to improve his fighting skills. His opponent, now impressed, would later say to Lee, "You really are a master of the martial arts."

source: wikipedia.org

"

That's exactly why you don't call out Bruce Lee and try to take him on in a street fight. He found that out the hard way.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
    deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I taeach Japanese Shorinji Kempo, and some of my students have discussed Bruce Lee, and they showed me most of his movies. they showed me also "Black Belt" magazine that had an issue devoted to Bruce Lee about a year ago, and is was pointed out that he never competed in any public full contact bouts. A later letter said he won some high school boxing bouts, but so did many more men. He was so obsessed with winning that he would only have scripted movie fights that allowed him to win, even when he was not yet a big star. I too am appalled that anyone believes that a small man who feared losing by competing in unscripted bouts could beat any man of any size. This shows he was a coward with an immature ego, and such men do not become champions beyond high school boxing or wrestling. "Muscle & Fitness" had an actual exercise sheet of Bruce's from a Chinese gym for 5/27/65. I was surprised, because I know small girls who lift more than he did. There are many wild tales about him that have no proof and are so absurd that only naive people believe them. Other tales that impress naive people involve feats that many men have done as well and better than Bruce did. I have several students who are faster than the speed given for Bruce in the tales. Would Bruce get KO'd in MMA and UFC. "IIE" is "NO" in Japanese, and that's because he would refuse to compete, just as he refused to compete in any other public bouts after high school.-

Hachidan Hamada

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e3afd8b1c4
    deactivated-5f0e3afd8b1c4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyiena: Its actually funny the amount of fallacies that you can say in base what you subjective compatible believe its truth or lie. I am afraid to tell you that you are the one who is telling tales, no the other people.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
    deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@leijonasorjonen: That's a quote and I have no idea what your string of random words really means.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.