Does Doctor Voodoo have a PHD?

Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

So I've been curious about this for a while.

I get that Steven Strange was a doctor when he became the Sorceror Suprem so he got the handle "Doctor Strange"
What i'm wonderin' here is now Brother Voodoo is Sorceror Supreme why didn' they just leave him as Brother Voodoo? Doe he have a doctorate or PHD or whatever too?

#1 Edited by forsake (63 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes he does have a  doctorate & has always had one since his 1st apps. in comics... He alos runs his own practice in 
NO..

#2 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@forsake: 

Thanks.
That clears that up :)
#3 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

There's also a nice explanation in the "Doctor Voodoo" "graphic novel". 
#4 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@White Mage said:
" There's also a nice explanation in the "Doctor Voodoo" "graphic novel".  "
Can you tell me it or you gonna make me buy it? :P
#5 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

You have to buy it, or find it somewhere :) 

A minor summary though, is that he was supposed to be named "Doctor Voodoo" since day 1.  However, Stan Lee didn't like that name too much, and went with  "Brother Voodoo".  After he became the Sorceror Supreme, he ended up getting the name. 

The article is called "Do, Do That Voodoo That You Do To Me: The Origins Of Brother Voodoo, 1973
#6 Posted by Paracelsus (1730 posts) - - Show Bio

he has a Ph.D in psychiatry(shades of Frasier!) and is, next to the Black Panther, or the Blue Marvel, arguably one of the most intelligent and educated superheroes(esp of colour) extant in the Marvel Universe!

Terry

#7 Posted by Paracelsus (1730 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's a psychiatrist/psychologist(which requires a doctorate), hence like his predecessor Stephen Strange, he can legally call himself "Dr"!

Terry

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.