Follow

Broo

Character » Broo appears in 567 issues.

A mutant Brood with a sophisticated and high intelligence, saved by the X-Men. Currently attending the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning.

Why Broo Is One Of The Best Things To Come Out Of WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN

• 71 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Alright, I should warn you: today's feature is going to be a confession of just how much I love comics; or at least when comics are done right. Sometimes you read a comic book that really makes you fall in love with a character; and lately, WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN has been doing that for me.

Of all of the current New Mutants in Marvel's X-Men universe, the one that seems to be the most unique and interesting (to me) has to be Broo. Following WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN's latest three-part story arc, "Mutatis Mutandis," I fell in love with Broo's character. Not only is he one of the sweetest and most compassionate of the Young Mutants, he's also incredibly conflicted -- and I think that's what makes him so interesting.

No Caption Provided

If you think it sounds tough to live as a mutant, just imagine having to live as a mutant and an alien whose race is known reproduce by implanting their eggs in other organisms. Oh, and they sometimes eat people, too. Historically, the X-Men know what it's like to feel ostracized by society which is why their solution to discrimination has been to isolate themselves (Utopia, Professor X's school). Yet, not many of the X-characters have to deal with the feeling of being left out and ostracized within their own community. That is except for Broo. There's no question that it might be somewhat difficult to trust a Broodling when the Brood have long been the sworn enemy of the X-Men. So clearly, our poor young Broo has got it rough.

ASTONISHING X-MEN #40
    ASTONISHING X-MEN #40

However, it is not only the other X-Men who give Broo a hard time; Broo's own kind weren't very nice to him either. When Broo was first introduced by Christos Gage in ASTONISHING X-MEN #40, he was discovered by Beast and a small team of X-Men after having been abandoned by his own race and left to die. Broo, like the X-Men, is a mutant. He is the logical evolution of their alien race. Unlike other Broodling, Broo is highly intelligent and he has a trait that no other Brood have: compassion. While Broo is tender, docile and sweet; his relatives are, well, parasites who live to kill and eat other organisms. This makes him the only one of his kind. Yet, that's what makes him so unique.

ASTONISHING X-MEN #40
    ASTONISHING X-MEN #40

When he was first introduced, Broo did not have much of a personality and we did not know that much about him. However, Marvel writer Jason Aaron has managed to really dig deep into Broo's character, making him stand out among the many other Young Mutants in a handful of issues. Broo is quirky, compassionate and intellectual; but his intelligence is often his hinderance. He might very well be the smartest young mutant in the room, but he doesn't have all that much common sense. He doesn't always know when Quentin Quire is making him the brunt of his jokes. Yet it's these qualities that are what make him so endearing.

WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN #7
    WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN #7

In the latest three part story arc, "Mutatis Mutandis," Kitty Pryde has been infected by Brood. The only way to save Kitty is to kill the Brood that are hatching inside of her. In this arc we see Broo really torn by his compassion; he wants Kitty to be saved but it pains him to see his own kind exterminated by a team of X-Men. To him, these Broodlings are his family. There's a real conflict there, and it's sweet to see that his compassion is strong that even though he was abandoned and left to die by his own kind, he still feels compelled to save them. It will certainly be interesting to see how Broo evolves and whether he will maintain the level of compassion and kindness he currently has, or whether he will turn to the dark side; something we saw in WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN #7 (above).

WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN #2
    WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN #2

Clearly, I don't like Broo for his dashing good looks; although I really do have that's something that Idie can eventually overlook...Enough about me and my love for Broo, though; which of the Young Mutants are some of your favorites and why? What is it about a character that makes you feel drawn to them?

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PrinceIMC

Broo kinda reminds me of Warlock from the New Mutants days, but he's different which is good. I enjoy reading about him.

Baron_Emo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Baron_Emo

I have really liked his character in Wolverine and the X-Men. I will have to pick up Astonishing #40 as well.

I really dig Quentin Quire. Don't care what people say.

Avatar image for royale_with_cheese
    royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Broo and Genesis are just so innocent and naive, it's heartwarming. Kid Gladiator and Quire on the other hand, bring the laughs.

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By TheOptimist

@Babs: I'm 500% in agreement with this article. Broo is not only one of my favorite cast members of the book... he is one of the consistent joys of my Marvel pile reading... At this point, so long as Broo remains in WATX, and maintains this characterization (with humor and continued character development) I won't even consider dropping the book. I think Broo is one of the most creative, exciting new characters in the past handful of years... which normally means that the character is slated for a quick death. But Broo... please be the exception.

(And I admit, I was made somewhat emotional by the Broo in a corner moment at the story's conclusion... it hurt the teacher in me. It is a darn thing that kid is in school, now he just needs some teachers to show some compassion and guidance.)

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By DATNIGGA

Really? I always thought evan was the best to come out of the school I mean.. he is apocalypse

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Kallarkz

@TheOptimist said:

@Babs: I'm 500% in agreement with this article. Broo is not only one of my favorite cast members of the book... he is one of the consistent joys of my Marvel pile reading... At this point, so long as Broo remains in WATX, and maintains this characterization (with humor and continued character development) I won't even consider dropping the book. I think Broo is one of the most creative, exciting new characters in the past handful of years... which normally means that the character is slated for a quick death. But Broo... please be the exception.

(And I admit, I was made somewhat emotional by the Broo in a corner moment at the story's conclusion... it hurt the teacher in me. It is a darn thing that kid is in school, now he just needs some teachers to show some compassion and guidance.)

Yeah I work with kids a lot as well and seeing him crying like that after what he did reminded me a lot about my kids.

Avatar image for stormtrance1618
    stormtrance1618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7  Edited By stormtrance1618

Great article. I've been in love with this character since issue 1!

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@DATNIGGA said:

Really? I always thought evan was the best to come out of the school I mean.. he is apocalypse

Remember, no one talks trash about Kansas.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By dernman

I like Broo and the BAMFS are good also.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#10  Edited By The Impersonator

BOOOOO! I mean....BROOOOO! =P

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Darkmount1

I swear, for the most part, that from what I've read and seen of him in the comics, Broo reminds me of Edd (aka Double D) from "Ed, Edd n' Eddy".

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By frozenedge2

Broo is one of those characters that if done right, can likable to anybody. I like how even the kid is undoubtedly smart, he doesn't know even the simplest things like when he's in love, when Quentin's being an ass towards him, stuff like that.

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
    TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By TheWitchingHour

@PrinceIMC said:

Broo kinda reminds me of Warlock from the New Mutants days, but he's different which is good. I enjoy reading about him.

This. I think Broo is absolutely fantastic.

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By DATNIGGA

@TheGreyOutcastX: well One guy did but he got killed right afterwards lol

Fluffy6079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fluffy6079
    I love me some Broo! He is my absolute favorite of the youngsters at the Jean Grey School. Genesis is great too. He won me over with his "Nobody talks about Kansas!" line.
    Kaaable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kaaable

Evan I want to see how young Apocalypse does i mean Genesis

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@DATNIGGA said:

That's what happens when you deal with a Kid Apocalypse who was thinks he's Kal-el.

Glowing eyes of doom = death and pain to those who talk trash about Smallville....I mean Kansas.
    Glowing eyes of doom = death and pain to those who talk trash about Smallville....I mean Kansas.
    randalmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By randalmeister

I really dig Broo, no doubt. Idie self-loathing slays me (that probably says terrible things about me). I think Kid Gladiator is hilarious and am beginning to see a human side of Quentin Quire... albeit slowly.

DIOMJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#19  Edited By DIOMJK

I think both Evan and Quentin Quire could be the best in coming issues. Kid Omega has been shown in the first arc to be just another dumb kid deep down, except he's also justifiably angst-y and has the power to destroy the world if he wanted, plus Genesis has so much potential. Fingers crossed!

mcbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mcbig

Broo is definitely a great new character. He kinda reminds me of a more naive Beast.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AlKusanagi

@PrinceIMC: That's exactly what I was coming here to say. But Warlock's backstory has pretty much been a non-issue for 20-some years, so it's okay for them to reuse it now.

IronHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#22  Edited By IronHerc

i had no idea where in the world did this creature came from (or race) before reading wolverine and the x-men. But after reading some issues i find broo to be one of the best characters of the book. I'm really interested in how he will grow.

3beatsketcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 3beatsketcher

okay, reading this article made me want to start reading x-men again...problem is, i havent read an x-men comic since the early 90s...since then i've been into the indie scene a little more and i've only dabbled here and there with Marvel and DC...can anyone suggest a good starting point for this current arc of X-Men?

TexasTyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TexasTyler

Dude I'm 16, and I would freakin' love to have Broo as a classmate.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bladewolf

Haha he sounds pretty funny! Haven't ever read about him, but maybe I should.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By longbowhunter

I've been wanting to read Wolverine & the X-Men for Evan. Broo sounds cool too though. One more reason to pick this up in trade.

birdcantfly15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By birdcantfly15

he's aight. Donald for spiderman

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Broo is a beast.

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Namor1987

I think the majority of the new students in Wolverine's school will go nuts & choose the path of villainry

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By Miss_Garrick

Broo is adorable. It is so NICE and WONDEFUL to have a character in Marvel that not only has high level grammar, but is so darn polite. I haven't even read the comic but already I love him.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By evilvegeta74

I'm checking out all of the characters in wolverine's school, the students are truly outcast, even as mutants. There's Genesis, Kid Omega, Broo,and a host of others with questionable attitudes, looks like X Force academy to me, I'm just saying!!! Some of the most dangerous mutants are there, and Wolverine is not exactly Mr. Rogers!!

webofthornns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By webofthornns

I really wanted to see more of the established students that have been around, Rockslide, Anole, Mercury, etc. and was put off by the focus on Quentin, Idie, Broo, and especially Kid Gladiator (c'mon really?). After reading this last arc however, I'm now a fan of Broo, the writer really made me feel for him. Now get me some Mercury and Rockslide and I'll be a happy camper

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

First: I am posting cause I don't want a post count I currently have. It's bad luck in my opinion.

Secondly: it annoys they made a book that features new students when they say people don't want a book about young mutants. So it looks like we have to add Wolverine to insure another New X-Men/Young X-Men book. God the hypocrisy.

Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Nudeviking

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@DATNIGGA said:

That's what happens when you deal with a Kid Apocalypse who was thinks he's Kal-el.

This had me in tears. Just the wording of it was so dorkily perfect. It wasn't "Don't talk #@$% about Kansas!" or "You talk smack about Kansas you answer to me!" It was such a weak statement followed up by painful death by dismemberment.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@Nudeviking said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@DATNIGGA said:

This had me in tears. Just the wording of it was so dorkily perfect. It wasn't "Don't talk #@$% about Kansas!" or "You talk smack about Kansas you answer to me!" It was such a weak statement followed up by painful death by dismemberment.

This only made me want Genesis to not go evil for the foreseeable future. Cause he was such a boss in those few seconds.

Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nudeviking

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@Nudeviking said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@DATNIGGA said:

This only made me want Genesis to not go evil for the foreseeable future. Cause he was such a boss in those few seconds.

Yes! I think that's the one thing that is weird when I read W&TXM as opposed to earlier teen mutant books. Pretty much every single kid in that school has the potential to turn into a villain (except maybe Anole...but he's pretty much a non-entity at this point). They all have some level of malevolence in them from the low level (Glob Herman and Hellion basically being Budnick and Donkeylips from Salute Your Shorts) to dudes like Genesis and Kid Omega either of whom could been the mutant anti-messiah. It's a kind of weird underlying thing to have in a book that is for the most part completely ridiculous.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hehe I think I'm on the Broo bandwagon now.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@Nudeviking said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@Nudeviking said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@DATNIGGA said:

Yes! I think that's the one thing that is weird when I read W&TXM as opposed to earlier teen mutant books. Pretty much every single kid in that school has the potential to turn into a villain (except maybe Anole...but he's pretty much a non-entity at this point). They all have some level of malevolence in them from the low level (Glob Herman and Hellion basically being Budnick and Donkeylips from Salute Your Shorts) to dudes like Genesis and Kid Omega either of whom could been the mutant anti-messiah. It's a kind of weird underlying thing to have in a book that is for the most part completely ridiculous.

That's the interesting thing about it. The kids all have the possible to go evil which is why I'm waiting for one of them to snap and cause trouble like Legion.

rokusan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By rokusan23

He looks cuddly sometimes <3 (Girl's eye view, sorry.)

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By Blood1991

I love Broo and I wonder if his attraction to Ide is linked to Storm saving him?

Avatar image for alex_tides145210
    Alex_Tides145210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Alex_Tides145210

awesome article really enjoyed it

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By Mercy_

Babs...I love you for this article alone

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JamDamage

I just love this book. It's always a wonderful treat when you pick up a book with familiar characters and it's a completely fresh. The art by Bachelo (love it) is just great for one, and works on a book like this because of all the vastly differant characters. I don't know why, I always really really enjoyed the American Manga style on X books. This book feels to me a bit like Generation X when it first started out, also drawn by Bachelo. The way the book is handled is great. The humor is great, the bond between characters is great, and the title reflects it well. Wolverine and the X-Men. It might as well be called "Principal Wolverine". I sure hope it stays this way. It's a fun ride so far.

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Skaddix

@Blood1991 said:

I love Broo and I wonder if his attraction to Ide is linked to Storm saving him?

Seems like standard love triangle. Quire vs Broo for Idie. Still Idie, Quire, kid gladiator, broo and Genesis not a bad x-team although going to need at least 2 more girls for that to be an x-team.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By Blood1991

@Skaddix: I disagree the entire team reflects the Uncanny X-Men team from the 70's.

Oya=Storm why? Female leader

Quire=Wolverine why Moody and not all that nice

Broo=Nightcrawler why Lovable like fusing Hank and Kurt into a brown buglike teddy bear

Kid Gladiater=Colossus a brute though I will say the personalities are way off

Genisis was a bad guy in the future sooooo yeah

Well I made the connection anyway, but I can be out there some days

Also Oya called Genisis her ove in the little future thing so make that a 4 way

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jubilee042

broo is cute

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jhazzroucher

Broo is my favorite among the students too! : )

Then Kid Omega, then Kid Gladiator.

Alcamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Alcamin

Agreed. Broo is developing into a great character. He's definitely one of the highlights of that new series.

davelecave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By davelecave

This is just a great comic, extremely fun and entertaining. Broo has turned out to be an awesome character, and the same can be said for many small role players in this series. I have to give credit to JA on this one.

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Or35ti

Broo really is a great and adorable character

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.