What's Coming in Brightest Day?

Posted by No_name_here (330 posts) - - Show Bio
 Back in black?

DC wasn’t kidding when they said that the end of BLACKEST NIGHT was really only just the beginning. Today, their official Source blog has released a number of promos and previews pertaining to BRIGHTEST DAY that are more than a little intriguing.

The first of such mysterious images is David Finch’s cover to BRIGHTEST DAY #4, which you see in ghoulish clarity to the right. The Black Lantern Firestorm is back? How could that be after the Nekron’s defeat at the end of BLACKEST NIGHT? I get the feeling that this has to be some kind of dream or symbolic image - - it’s not like covers are always bound by law to depict what’s literally happening in the issue. The alternate cover shows Hawkman and Hawkgirl as skeletons, so “living death” is obviously going to be a theme of issue #4. But the dead being back, again, would certainly (pun intended) dredge up a lot of worms, wouldn’t it? == TEASER ==

The other previews also show, of course, the new Aqua Lad’s debut in September’s BRIGHTEST DAY ( something we found out last week from Geoff Johns.) There’s also a preview image of the Blue Lantern’s hope entity, Adara, taking possession of a new host - - a young student “destined to be a great savior.” That’s happening while the Spectre’s taking on the Red Lantern’s rage entity. I have to say, once again, that I think it's so exciting how DC's entire cosmology's been rearranged and refocussed over the past couple years. I feel like I'm finally getting the space opera I've wanted to see for so long. My question now is... what’s going to happen to the Ion now that it’s been exorcised from Sodam Yat?

There’s a lot of other BRIGHTEST DAY shenanigans going on with Cyborg Superman and Ganthet intervening in the revolt of the Alpha Lanterns in GL CORPS, Guy Gardner’s uneasy alliance with the Red Lanterns in EMERALD WARRIORS and a White Lantern-guided Martian Manhunter’s venturing into Ollie Queen’s magic forest in GREEN ARROW, along with many others. There may not be a crossover going on right now, per se, but the whole DC line is definitely fitting into a huge storyline.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

#1 Posted by CaptainUseless (728 posts) - - Show Bio

A Black Lantern Firestorm, sounds cool.

#2 Posted by ComicMan24 (147055 posts) - - Show Bio

I am so excited about this!
#3 Posted by MrDirector786 (43647 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe some Black Lanterns still remain despite Nekron's defeat or something?

#4 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7968 posts) - - Show Bio

Really enjoying Brightest Day, all sounds good to me.

#5 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh god, I'm so excited about this next issue, I wonder how Ronnie Raymond will reclaim the black ring.

#6 Posted by wolf_party (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say, DC has been churning out 100% pure gold lately. I used to be a dedicated Marvelite, but lately the difference in quality storytelling between the two companies has been so huge that I've revoked my Marvel membership and am now strictly Club DC

#7 Posted by longbowhunter (7749 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything I've just read has got me so excited. I'd love to follow Guy's new title. Shame it'll be a $3.99/32 pager. Actually really wanna' hear more about the new Aqualad. Love Aquaman, glad he's getting some attention.
#8 Edited by Jordanstine (895 posts) - - Show Bio

Um...so it's actually really Brightest Night? How about Blackest Day

I've only read the first 2 issues but Brightest Day (aka "52" ver. 2.0) is not enticing me like Blackest Night did in just it's 1st issue... it may still be early to tell, but maybe that is why DC's is brining back some of the elements that made Blackest Night what it was.
#9 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3404 posts) - - Show Bio

I seem to remember something in the previous Brightest Day issue where someone was doing something with the skeletal remains of Hawkman and Hawkgirl. That cover might not be as misleading as it appears.

The new Aqualad doesn't look all that "Lad-ish". He looks more masculine then Aquaman.

#10 Posted by Aquamariner (203 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Lantern Firestorm can transmute living objects as opposed to regular living firestorm. so it'd be interesting to see Ronnie and Jason go up against a Black Lantern version of FS!

#11 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

DC is really knocking out of the park this time.
#12 Posted by lostlantern13 (856 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds pretty promising. Definitely can't wait to see this
#13 Posted by sora_thekey (8185 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh.... It's interesting how dark Brightest Day is!

#14 Posted by Robotman (29 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm excited to see where the Hawkman Hawkgirl story is leading.

#15 Posted by Comiclove5 (1258 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786 said:
"Maybe some Black Lanterns still remain despite Nekron's defeat or something? "

That is a very strong possiblity.
#16 Posted by Sandbox24 (36 posts) - - Show Bio

Never been a fan of Firestorm BUT Black Lantern Firestorm is such a GREAT character!  

Really happy Blackest Night wasn't the end of him (them?).  

It just goes to show that some super heroes really do make better villains.
#17 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

well they have been hinting that the resurrected 12 still have some sort of connection to their Black Lantern forms in some way so it's not inconceivable that some of them may revert back at some point

#18 Posted by greenenvy (580 posts) - - Show Bio

All am excited about is green arrow, jade, green lantern, maybe black lantern firestorm and Martian man-hunter.  

#19 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Black Lantern Firestorm is going to have to do with them separating and all that because Dr. Stein and the Atom said it was very dangerous and they heard something during the process.

#20 Posted by The Cyan Lantern (227 posts) - - Show Bio

GL cover for September looks great and a promising story 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.