Follow

Brightest Day

Story arc »

Once dead, 12 heroes and villains were resurrected by a white light expelled deep from within the center of the Earth. Deemed a miracle by many and a sign of the apocalypse by others, the reasons behind their rebirths remain a mystery. But it will not be a mystery for long.

Brightest Day Discussion And Spoilers

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By Nighthunter

you should be fine with the brightiest day title in my humble opinion, maybe also green lantern

Avatar image for carnivalofsins00
    carnivalofsins00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

User Lists: 8

@Nighthunter: 
    yeah i though that at the most ill get the Green Lantern tie ins. Ive been wanting a way to get into Green Lantern again and now I can. Plus, im already picking up the Flash and going to be picking up Green Arrow as well.
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#103  Edited By Darkchild

the recent tie in issues are awesome. Love the new Corps issue.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Darkchild

I love the idea about a new JLI comic with Generation Lost but its just not hittiong the spot for me. As much as i dont want to admit it im not liking Generation Lost, ill keep getting the issues hoping for more but now not so much

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#105  Edited By geraldthesloth

The titles that aren't Generation Lost or Lantern related are getting boring..

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#106  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    @geraldthesloth said:
    " The titles that aren't Generation Lost or Lantern related are getting boring.. "
    Batman & Robin I thought was good. Red Robin also.
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @Supreme Marvel said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    " The titles that aren't Generation Lost or Lantern related are getting boring.. "
    Batman & Robin I thought was good. Red Robin also. "
    I'm talking about Brightest Day related, I'm in love with Batman and Robin right now.
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    @geraldthesloth said:
    " @Supreme Marvel said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    Batman & Robin I thought was good. Red Robin also. "
    I'm talking about Brightest Day related, I'm in love with Batman and Robin right now. "
    I thought the Flash issues were good. Unless you mean directly linked to Brightest Day.
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Shadowdoggy

@Gearo:
    I think that you're probably on to something there
    Hal would be a great White Lantern....I mean, sure we still dont' know exactly what they do, but still

if anyone should be, it's him!

Avatar image for emerald_lamp_2814
    emerald_lamp_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 0

@carnivalofsins00 said:
    "so which ones are the VITAL issues to pick up? i dont have the movie to pick up all of them but i wanna get the entire story. any help? "

Brightest day and green lantern are the vital comics others can have some importance but will not be vital and they can be good (does not mean the are) the flash and GL corps are pretty good but not alot to do with brightest day, heard the same about the birds of prey. The JLA/JSA crossover I here mixed reviews about. the Titans look like it has potential but the special was not that great. you can try Green Arrow but will not have alot to do with brightest day and I don't know alot about it because it has not come out yet. The past series was not that great but it could be better because it is getting a new creative team.
    kristop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By kristop

How does anyone know if Hal would be a great White Lantern or not?  It's not even clear what a White Lantern can do.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#112  Edited By Zoom

Psh.  Hal doesn't even make a good Green Lantern. 

No creativity at all. 

Quoth MGK on Blackest Night

"The key to beating Nekron is by resurrecting Black Hand – okay, that’s not a bad idea. As villains’ Achilles’ heels go, perfectly serviceable. So, how do the heroes figure this out? Well, Deadman shows up in the last issue and tells them.

No, really. That’s what happens. If you want to hammer home the point that Hal Jordan – who’s the pointman for this entire saga – is a freaking idiot and a terrible superhero, I can’t think of a better way to do it than double-underlining the fact that he basically charged into a fight with an evil god of death with one plan that somebody else told him would work that didn’t work, and then stuck around when that didn’t work, only to get saved when somebody else comes up with a plan for him to do something."

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I like that ^^^.
    For me Hal barely gets 5th place on my favourite Lanterns.

1. Kyle
    2. Guy
    3. Kilowog
    4. Sodam
    5. Hal/Stewart
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Zoom

1 Guy  
    2 Alan 
    3 Kyle  
    4 Gnort
    5 Kilowog 
    6 Jack T Chance  
    7 Stewart 
    8 Katma Tui 
    9 Chp 
    10 Mogo 
    11 Rond Vidar
    12 Rot Lop Fan 
    13 Arisa 
    14 Salaak 
    15 Jade 

The list goes on and won't get to Hal no fear means I must also have no personality Jordan anytime soon.
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Damn, Mogo and Salaak are there. Hal is out the top 5!!

Green Flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#116  Edited By Green Flash

Can anyone tell me  who is doing what segements in terms of art on BD?  To be honest I can't really tell except for some Reis parts here and there.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Darkchild

FINALLY!! 

Generation Lost GETS GOOD!!! 

Jesus took long enough i was getting super frekaing bored but now im loving it

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By geraldthesloth

It's been good since issue 1.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By DEGRAAF

is anyone getting tired of Brightest day? I know it was supposed to be different but for all three issues so far it feels like they just keep cirlcing around the same things for each character. I was excited in the preview of Deadman against Anti-Monitor, i thought that was gonna be cool watching him as a white lantern go toe to toe with one of the strongest characters we have ever seen. We know Aquaman now calls dead sea animals instead of live ones, We know that Firestorm cant be joined together again. The only thing they really told us last issue is that martian manhunter has found out that what looks to be a white martian was brought to earth before he was, There is a reason why firestorm cant join together again but they wont tell us, Also we know that Jason (i think it was Jason) does actually remember killing while he was black lantern firestorm; and finally we see the white lantern destroy a plane for no apparent reason, we never see another lantern member of any corps besides Boston Brand. 

Im more interested in Martian Manhunters story then anyone elses, i think firestorm's would be better if they just got on with it and stopped dragging their feet on the story. Aurthurs isnt bad but his story is slow as well. I want anexplanation as to why the white lantern sent Boston brand to the anti-monitor. It if doesnt bpick up in the next two issues im just gonna stop buying it and follow the other GL books, i dont have enough money to waste it on 26 issues of filler.
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Darkchild
    @geraldthesloth said:
    " It's been good since issue 1. "
    no it hasnt
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @Darkchild said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    no it hasnt "
    Explain why?

@DEGRAAF:
    The whole series is a sleeper.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#122  Edited By danhimself

it's only issue 3 in a 26 issue series....there's still a lot of time for stuff to happen

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By DEGRAAF

well at least from the preview of #4 looks like the Hawk family is picking up and then of course the mention of a new aqualad that lives in one of the dryest places in America thats supposed to make his debut (or have some kind of mention) in #4 

Storm Rider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Storm Rider
    @DEGRAAF said:

" is anyone getting tired of Brightest day? I know it was supposed to be different but for all three issues so far it feels like they just keep cirlcing around the same things for each character.

If it doesnt pick up in the next two issues im just gonna stop buying it and follow the other GL books, i dont have enough money to waste it on 26 issues of filler. "

Yes, and I had that same thought about dropping it, too. They are really dragging heels on this thing, drawing the story out over 26 issues when it could be tightened up and told in 12. It just feels like a money grab; making the series last so long to keep people on the hook. Zero issue was a cool preview book. Issue one was a nice set-up, issue two didn't go anywhere but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. Issue three has come and gone and I feel no closer to even figuring out what the overarching story is here and how these story fragments fit together to tell one single tale. There have been some really cool SCENES, and terrific art throughout, but no real story to tie them together. It almost  feels like we're paying for a bi-monthly book of backup stories of characters who couldn't carry their own titles.

Issue four needs to blow the doors off and really kick this thing into gear or else I'm going to have drop it from my pulls.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Storm Rider:
    well i just read in the september solicitations that by BD #6 we know why they have all returned and what they are planning on doing now that they know so 4 and 5 should definitely be picking things up. I agree tho i would of rather seen 12 monthly issues rather than 26 bi-weekly issues
    Rokuakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Rokuakai

Not the greatest of issues but i liked it

Rokuakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Rokuakai
    @geraldthesloth said:
    " @Darkchild said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    no it hasnt "
    Explain why?

@DEGRAAF: The whole series is a sleeper. "
    It just hasnt been as appealing or entertaining as the other tie ins and or BD issues themselves. I still like it but not my favs
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @Rokuakai said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    " @Darkchild said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    no it hasnt "
    Explain why?

It just hasnt been as appealing or entertaining as the other tie ins and or BD issues themselves. I still like it but not my favs "
    I disagree it's been far more entertaining we've gotten to see the good ol JLI group together under Keith Giffen to stop Maxwell Lord the very guy who started them. I'd say it's way better than the main Brightest Day title which sucks ass.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Zoom

Definitely agree with Gerald and Degraaf.

The Martian Manhunter plotline is the only interesting thing that is happening in the main book.  That and arguably the Aquaman plot.  Hawkman/Hawkgirl's plot is a snoozer, Firestorm isn't actually doing anything and neither is Hawk.

On the other hand, Maxwell Lord changed the memories of everybody on the planet to escape.  He murdered the JLI's friend and now he's getting away with it.  We get to see a group of fun, beloved characters chasing down an incredibly intelligent and devious murdered.  Generation Lost is a better book than Brightest Day on charm alone.  Add the fact that they're actually DOING SOMETHING to the mix and that they actually have a bad guy you want them to catch and the story is 50 times better.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By DEGRAAF

Yea i havent been following JLI. BD#4 did pick up slightly, it seemed alot of the stories kinda got a kick start to them in that issue so hopefully #5 will be exciting.  

I am calling it right now that Ganthet will learn how to express his other feelings (maybe even end up in each corps like Hal) and he will be the hero against the shady midget that is stealing the entities. (who is also probably an ex-guardian). I think the villain will succeed in gaining all the entities and use their powers (while not actually obtaining any of them inside of him) and Ganthet might end up using the white entity to battle back (not saying Ganthet will be the hero that defeats the villain)... (Guesses subject to change thru out story line)
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Zoom

Its kinda hard to follow JLI because they haven't had a book in over a decade.  What's easy to do is to follow Keith Giffen. 

JLI was a book back in the day that fans loved but Dan Didio hates.  So every once in awhile, somebody convinces Didio to let Giffen write a mini for them and thats how we got Superbuddies, I Can't Believe Its Not the Justice League and now Generation Lost (admit it.  That book has jack and squat to do with the rest of Brightest Day).

And when nobody convinces Didio to let there be a JLI mini?  Giffen just writes them into whatever book he's writing at the time (like Blue Beetle) because he knows everybody loves Booster Gold and Guy Gardner. 

I for one am okay with this because I do love Booster Gold and Guy Gardner.
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Darkchild
    @geraldthesloth said:
    " @Rokuakai said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    " @Darkchild said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    no it hasnt "
    Explain why?

It just hasnt been as appealing or entertaining as the other tie ins and or BD issues themselves. I still like it but not my favs "
    I disagree it's been far more entertaining we've gotten to see the good ol JLI group together under Keith Giffen to stop Maxwell Lord the very guy who started them. I'd say it's way better than the main Brightest Day title which sucks ass. "
    Just not what i was intending to get from a new JLI maybe thats why im so magoo about it. Im rereading the past issues and finding little things that make me happy, but im more than sure i will be happier in coming issues.

Its just a start of a comic which normally for me is the most boring of times, and now on issue three which was awesome im sure the rest will be awesome.

But ill admit main story much better
    Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz

Am I the only one who is enjoying the Firestorm arc?
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#134  Edited By Nighthunter
    @JoeRiccadonna said:
    "Am I the only one who is enjoying the Firestorm arc? "

I am 

Also, really people? Things are moving too slowly? It still has 10 months to go and 20 issues at that, of course it won't move as fast as a monthly series
    Storm Rider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Storm Rider

Moving too slowly is relative, I suppose. The problem may not be so much the pacing, as it is with the "economy of the storytelling". For instance, Brightest Day number 4 had two double page spreads (for a total of 4 pages) and 4 splash pages (two full splash images and two splashes with a panel inset), a total of 8 pages consuming over 1/3 of the book. There is a whole lot of missed storytelling opportunity there. If the pacing were tightened up a little this thing could be over in 12-16 issues pretty easily.  It feels very much like they're asking us to stay onboard for 4-5 drawn out , semi-related 6 issues minis sold as one book instead of one engaging 26-issue maxi-series.  A jaded person may see this as nothing more than a money grab.
     I loved Blackest Night, I was enthusiastic when this began, I still support DC, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to give the rest of this one a pass. After 4 issues I expect I should actually have a broader idea of what the story is about and a clearer indication of where this thing is going. Instead we've been treated to some awesome scenes and great art, but no real cohesive story.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Zoom
    @Nighthunter said:

"@JoeRiccadonna said:

"Am I the only one who is enjoying the Firestorm arc? "
    I am  Also, really people? Things are moving too slowly? It still has 10 months to go and 20 issues at that, of course it won't move as fast as a monthly series "

Why?  I expect my average monthly series to last more than 20 issues. 

If you're going to have a huge series like this, you should either have ongoing plot developments with plots being introduced and resolved as the series moves forward or have plots that logically will take some time to resolve.  Don't just twiddle your thumbs for the first 5 issues hoping people will keep buying. 

For instance, 52 introduced plotlines like the Everyman Project, the Cult of Connor, WW3, Isis and Osirus, etc.  None of these lasted the entire series and that was okay.  Almost all of the major characters were involved in multiple plotlines as the book went on and we also got a little story about Green Lantern or Beast Boy or some other hero every issue or two.

The one storyline that took up the entire series was Starfire, Adam Strange and Animal Man's journey through space which took them through several different planets on several different mini adventures. 

Just because your series is long doesn't mean you can't have a plot that moves somewhat quickly.  You just have to have more of it.  In fact, if you're only going to come up with enough plot to fill 15 issues, there's no reason to make your series 26 issues long.
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    @Zoom said:
    "I expect my average monthly series to last more than 20 issues."
    If Bart Allen's run as the Flash had a good writer, then we could have seen more than 13 issues.
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Darkchild

HOLY CRAP LOVING GENERATION LOST NOW!!

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Darkchild:
    why?
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By danhimself

oh wow I think I just got a little teary eyed over Dex-Starr's back story

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#142  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

Poor Dex-Starr :(

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By DEGRAAF

yea that made kinda feel for the little guy. He sounds like he's got good intentions.
    crazyizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By crazyizzy
    Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Aquamariner

I'm actually getting tired of BD. It's nothing but a handful of set-ups, lead-ups and cliffhangers, with more splash pages and two page spreads that actually needed. There is no story moving along, just set-up after set-up after set-up.  

AND Green Lantern's being written in the same fashion now. Too bad.  
    Geoff Johns is a great writer, so i don't know what gives... maybe he's being spread too thinly.

Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Aquamariner
    @danhimself said:
    " oh wow I think I just got a little teary eyed over Dex-Starr's back story "
    Same here! Poor Kitty. I loved that tale. I hope Dex finds the dude and burns his ass off!
    Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Watch Dog

I love Dex-star!  His story was the best part of that issue.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By DEGRAAF

Lombaszko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#149  Edited By Lombaszko

That is a pretty awesome picture.  I wonder why it appears Hal Jordan is the White Lantern and not Dead Man?  I like how Ronnie and Jason are trying to bury the black lantern Firestorm.  Probably just promo art, but still cool.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Lombaszko:
    deadman is still wearin the white ring tho and i depicted them as trying to dig up firestorm

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.