the_cyan_lantern's Brightest Day: The Atom Special #1 - Nucleus, Prologue review

Atom's Back, But Is It Worth It?

Summary:

Following Brightest Day, Ray Palmer is returning to his destroyed lab were he meets with his professor to look at the past and solve a mystery.

The Good:

In Blackest Night I surely became an Atom fan as he was Indigo tribe. Also when we saw that resurrected one shot with Hawkman and Atom. So going through this I felt a small sense of hype.

The Bad:

With that small sense of hype I built up it just left me unfulfilled. Like "What happened when Ray was no longer part of the Indigo tribe?" or "How is he dealing after seeing his resurrected ex-wife?". But that wasn't the main reason why it didn't do so well. First we see a link to Brightest Day, cool, but then it rushes into 2 pages of action and the rest is his background. After that was all done we get another 2 pages of plot development and then told to pick up Adventure Comics #516 to follow the second feature. Maybe the Atom might not the most successful single title selling character but to read him in a second feature is not worth it.

Vote: 3 out of 5

If the Atom is your number one favorite character buy otherwise it's not worth it.
Posted by Myninjadon

I really enjoyed this comic.  Jeff's writing and story structure is fantastic.  The way he can just take a little bit of action and then give background on The Atom's life for the majority of the story.  Now I know this is apart of the brightest day arc but its not what I was expecting.  This is just a jumping off point for Jeff Lemire to kick start the Atom.  All in all i am gonna read action comic #516 to see if the story gets better.