no_name_'s Brightest Day #17 - Homecoming review

It's Not The End, Afterall!

The story of Brightest Day continues in issue #17, opening first with Firestorm and the expansion of the romantic relationship between Dove and Boston Brand. The remainder of the issue returned to Hawkman and Hawkgirl, and a major twist in their story.

The Good

The good news is that the Universe didn't explode like Firestorm had feared, and we see that he is alive and well- but has found himself in a completely different universe and that the darkness isn't darkness at all, but something much different.

Boston Brand is definitely growing on me as a character. I find it extremely interesting to read his interactions with other characters and join him as a reader on his journey of re-self discovery. He is learning all over again what it is like to be human, experiencing feelings and eating cheeseburgers.

The Bad

DC has been printing new covers that are extremely different from what we are used to seeing. This particular cover features Firestorm in action, with his logo behind him. Very tiny, on the top right hand corner of the cover, is the title of the book. Unless you have it in your hand, it's somewhat difficult to determine what comic it is. I don't know how I feel about these new covers.

The art in this issue is consistent with it's predecessors, and pretty good overall. The story in this issue, however, was rather disappointing. The pacing of the comic was relatively slow, and I was most disappointed with the scene between Hawkman and Hawkgirl. After having beaten Hath, and eliminating the curse that has haunted the couple for centuries, Hawkman and Hawkgirl must now fight off the Queen of Hawkworld and Chay-Ara's mother, Queen Shrike. Being that the story of these two characters have kept me interested in Brightest Day; there was something about this part of the issue that left me disappointed. The story seems to have built up and finally come to a climax- and then Queen Shrike obtains this new power. This series is beginning to feel (at least to me) like it is dragging on, and certain situations should have come to a resolution- particularly the events featuring Hawkman and Hawkgirl.

There was a point where I felt that this series was very exciting- but lately I have sort of felt let down. Believe it or not, I think you really can have too much action; and I think that can hinder the direction of the story.
Posted by longbowhunter

I really had a hard time at the shop today finding this issue. All the solicits show Aquaman on the cover not Firestorm. I agree this issue fell pretty flat other than the Deadman stuff. Really liking Boston and Dawn's relationship. Hope to see it continue after Brightest Day wraps up.
Online
Posted by Hamz

Posted by longbowhunter
@Hamz:
Too true.
Online
Posted by carnivalofsins00

Overall, in my opinion, this book has been good. It is dragging though.

Posted by JonesDeini
@Hamz said:
" I've enjoyed Brightest Day thus far and I'm keen to see where it goes but I feel the biggest problem with it has been that there's too many character stories being told at the same time which is causing it to feel like it's being dragged out. We no sooner get a nice momentum going with one story than it cuts short and shifts focus over to another.  "
That's it in a nutshell, bro.
Posted by Jake Fury

I feel like this is one of those series that will read much better in trade format. I've liked it for the most part but when some of the characters have gone absent for a couple of issues it makes it feel like the book is losing focus.
Posted by fenixREVOLUTION

This issue was okay, it might just be me, but out of all the stories, the Hawk's story is the one I don't really want to see.