Whats with the hate

#1 Posted by darkknight666 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, i agree Bendis can be a bad writer at times and he can be inconsistent. But seriously it is not his fault, i am tired of people dissing him. If you read his street level books, you will be able to see that he is a great writer, the problem is that marvel can't see that bendis can't write non-street level books to save his life. It is almost the same thing with Fraction, his iron man and thor are good but he obviously can't write team books (x-men).

So if there is anyone to blame it should be marvel not the writer himself.
#2 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis' Daredevil was fantastic. It was a street book. It was a SINGLE street book. A single event does not equal a trend. I've never read Alias, but I'm sure it's perfectly fine, not Morrison, Waid, Moore or Ellis brilliant, but fine. That said, Bendis has become so insanely sure of himself as a writer that he's overlooked something; he's not very good. He writes stories as he would like them to be told, unfortunately though, he's got the creativity of a horror movie sequel. He can write dialogue, and scenes, and everything else well enough (again it's not brilliance, but it's passable). He should not, however, be allowed to plot books on his own. It has become grossly apparent that he has no imagination, he used up all his ideas on Daredevil. The "Nervous Breakdown" concept that worked so well in DD has been recycled with Wanda, the Sentry, possibly Wonder Man, and now with Moon Knight. Enough is enough.

This post was originally a few paragraphs longer, but I cut those. Most people know how I feel about Bendis' Avengers-related work.

#3 Posted by LordTerminal (43 posts) - - Show Bio
@darkknight666: No I'm sorry. I refuse to do that because he encompasses one of the biggest things I hate about modern day comics: the need to kill off characters for no reason other than shock value. And I will not forgive him for killing off one of my favorite Avengers: The Wasp until Marvel retcons his wretched mistake. 

Also, I've read the first issue of his take on Moon Knight and it looks like he can't even write street level comics anymore. The man's a hack and I want him out of the company period.
#4 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio
@darkknight666 said:
Okay, i agree Bendis can be a bad writer at times and he can be inconsistent. But seriously it is not his fault, i am tired of people dissing him. If you read his street level books, you will be able to see that he is a great writer, the problem is that marvel can't see that bendis can't write non-street level books to save his life. It is almost the same thing with Fraction, his iron man and thor are good but he obviously can't write team books (x-men).

So if there is anyone to blame it should be marvel not the writer himself.
It is totally his fault that he writes badly.  Who else would be to blame but the man doing the horrible writing.  Go read the latest Moon Knight series and you'll see why he gets so much hate.  He took a character that just had a great sereis (Vengence of the Moon Knight) and needlessly 'reimagined' him.
#5 Posted by SC (11958 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I could ask you not to criticize Bendis either, since I like his team books lol  

Most people don't hate the guy on a personal level, they just aren't so good at expressing criticism for his work/style. Marvel is not to blame either, actual editors hire Marvel, they have names and faces too. You sort of seem to just state your preferences with his writing, than defend or criticize him. Also the same reasons that people dislike Fractions Uncanny presents itself in Thor and Iron Man. The writer quality doesn't change there, the subjective reading experience of the viewer does.  

Plus its the peoples fault. Casual fans love how he writes character interactions between characters and his dialogue is strong. Strong in that thats one of his focus. Of course many genre savvy fans will recognize that he tends to create his own versions of characters, so the flaw that supersedes the dialogue is the criticism at characterization. Something casual fans can't spot as well. Except if Bendis is focusing on smaller amounts of characters like solo books tend to do...  

Anyway, most comic sites have fans who actually know a bit about comics, and Bendis style is better suited for the more casual fan. Makes sense his criticism will be on the heavy side. 

#6 Posted by Mercy_ (92083 posts) - - Show Bio

How is his bad writing and incredibly poor characterization not his fault? There are plenty of writers who manage not to screw up characters on pretty much every single level and irreversibly mess them up. In fact, the vast majority of writers manage not to do that.

#7 Posted by SC (11958 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

How is his bad writing and incredibly poor characterization not his fault? There are plenty of writers who manage not to screw up characters on pretty much every single level and irreversibly mess them up. In fact, the vast majority of writers manage not to do that.

Oh I agree too!  

Oh, but hey, how did you find his Emma in House of M? I sort of though it was reasonably decent (though maybe Fraction has made me think that) 
#8 Posted by Mercy_ (92083 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC: It's been almost a year since I've read House of M. Do you mean Emma in the HoM universe itself (social worker or whatever) or Emma after Layla restored their memories?

#9 Posted by SC (11958 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

@SC: It's been almost a year since I've read House of M. Do you mean Emma in the HoM universe itself (social worker or whatever) or Emma after Layla restored their memories?

After they restored and pre alteration. Oh and its okay. ^_^ 

I just remember during the darkest days of Fraction, I thought it would be better for Bendis to be on Uncanny. Since some writers work better with certain characters (as opposed to overall) Fraction also being marginally better with more Avengers characters. 
#10 Posted by Mercy_ (92083 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

After they restored and pre alteration. Oh and its okay. ^_^ I just remember during the darkest days of Fraction, I thought it would be better for Bendis to be on Uncanny. Since some writers work better with certain characters (as opposed to overall) Fraction also being marginally better with more Avengers characters.

I really need to go re-read it, now. I don't remember having any complaints about her.

No. He'd end up having Cyke go crazy and kill the rest of the remaining mutants and Magneto coming in to kill Cyke or something ridiculous like that. They're both evil and I don't want either of them touching Uncanny for a very very very long time.

#11 Posted by zombietag (1481 posts) - - Show Bio

bendis spreads himself too thin. the books he wants to write well he seems to write well, like ultimate spider-man. other ones i dont care for personaly.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.