Is Bendis at fault for the hate from several Marvel fans?

Posted by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio

Over the past year, Brian Michael Bendis has found himself hated and despised by a great amount of fans, mostly by me because of how I see him sit on a remarkable idea and fail to use it within his storytelling that could boost his popularity and introduce something completely new and interesting.

Even though I’ve noticed how Comicvine respectfully steers away from smear remarks about Bendis and his works, it’s quite an interesting subject as to how a man is becoming more famous and receiving such a horrible fan base by several comicfans at the same time. April 1 a Comicvine commentator played a prank on here claiming that Bendis was taking over the Secret Avengers, even though the commentator was only playing a joke, he didn’t realize the reaction that many people gave towards his blog. Never have I thought of how so many people would look down on a man who’s still pursuing and increasing his status among Marvel Comics. It is a fact that Bendis is creative for his former works and does have an influenced fanbase for what he did. But thinking as to how a man could continue on with no dependability towards his storytelling and no hope from the majority of Marvel fans, it raises the question if Bendis is actually at fault for his increased hatred from the Marvel fanbase.

Creativity is a valuable thing to have and it is a very fragile gift when it comes in control of other people, personally I know from experience.

I could personally relate to that because of how I grew up with a rare mental disorder that had good and bad outcomes for me. At a very young age I showed abnormal signs of creativity. Growing up I still continued to draw comic characters, monsters, or whatever influenced me. I had a dark view of my artwork that really captured a lot of attention through my years in school. This creativity followed me until it came to an end after joining the Marines. Some people are creative when they produce what they only want, and not from other people want. As my former bosses took notice of my creativity, I was forced into drawing/painting their ideal pictures, not ideas of mine and mine alone. When I mean by forced, it was a mandatory deadline that was extremely short and if I didn’t meet that deadline in time, I wouldn’t get to go home to see my wife until I’m fully done (the whole 24/7 Marine crap that was an excuse to deprive you from your own family). So you can guess how this turned out, I stopped drawing and hid my creative talents seeing how it completely screwed my life up.

Now how does this relate to Bendis’s creativity in writing?

It’s quite simple when thinking of one question, is Bendis in full control of what he wants write? Or is Marvel forcing him to write what they want him to write?

I know that Bendis isn’t going through the exact same thing that I went through, but it does make sense as to how a third party stepping into another man’s creativity and idea’s can be devastating. Behavioral Psychology has mentioned creativity being a fragile gift that some people take a lot of pride in and may not want another’s involvement from what they produce that would define who they really are.

So is Bendis really at fault for a majority of hating fans within Marvel? Or is it Marvel Comics itself?

This is the last drawing I did years ago. Here's the link if you can't see it 

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=grouchypants#/d204coz    

#1 Posted by A_O_N (352 posts) - - Show Bio

For one, I don't hate Bendis. I was a tad surprised that every comment was negative. I mean he is the guy that made the Avengers popular. Without him where would they be, certainly not heading for an upcoming movie. Sure, Bendis has some bad writing but you're bound to hate something given his track record. I don't read anything from the Ultimate Universe, but I think the general response towards Bendis's work there is positive. Sure Siege was a blunder - a disappointment, but Siege #2 was awesome. Bendis made me like a character that I didn't care for. That's what good writing is all about. New Avengers is a favorite of mine, Dark Avengers was interesting while it lasted, and I haven't warmed upto adjective-less Avengers yet but only read it because of Iron Man. If he's forced to write anything, it would be that book if you think about it. But, something like that, we'll never know so if someone hates that book the blame will fall on Bendis.

You have really nice art skills. You should do more when you are free. ;)

#2 Posted by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio
@A_O_N said:
"For one, I don't hate Bendis. I was a tad surprised that every comment was negative. I mean he is the guy that made the Avengers popular. Without him where would they be, certainly not heading for an upcoming movie. Sure, Bendis has some bad writing but you're bound to hate something given his track record. I don't read anything from the Ultimate Universe, but I think the general response towards Bendis's work there is positive. Sure Siege was a blunder - a disappointment, but Siege #2 was awesome. Bendis made me like a character that I didn't care for. That's what good writing is all about. New Avengers is a favorite of mine, Dark Avengers was interesting while it lasted, and I haven't warmed upto adjective-less Avengers yet but only read it because of Iron Man. If he's forced to write anything, it would be that book if you think about it. But, something like that, we'll never know so if someone hates that book the blame will fall on Bendis.You have really nice art skills. You should do more when you are free. ;) "

I dont think I mentioned that I said you did hate Bendis, but if I did, sorry about that.

In a way your right about the last part, but creativity comes in two different forms of how creativity is controlled.

Example: When drawing something that I want to draw, I have more success because it's my work and mine alone. When it's controlled by other people who are demanding the artist to give what they want, it becomes extremely hard to give something because of fear of failure, lack of pride for their own artwork, and the lack of information of what the person wants from the artists (which may explain for the lack of support that Bendis has for his storytelling).

Alan Moore is the type of writer who steers away from what Bendis goes through seeing how he writes what he wants and wants alone, you can clearly see how successful he is compared to Bendis who's now under Marvels demanding contract.

but your right, it does fall onto Bendis despite how demanding Marvel may be.

and thanks for the comment on my picture, it's been years since I took up the ink and pencil, but i'll probably go back at it after getting my B.A degree.

#3 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't think anyone hates him, or any other writer persay, but the reason, bottom line is weak writing, in the case of him and guys like Fraction seems to stem
from them being overstretched to too many titles and jobs, and also put on titles that really don't match up with their specific writing skills just because theyre name
generates news blitzes and interest ( Bendis, Fraction, Loeb, ect have written some fantastic books, but usually those titles fit their style).

and no, Bendis isn't in full control, none of them are especially when involved in a main title and/or event. aside from other crew members they have to concede
to other factors that naturally fall in place, like deadlines and what another writer has planned for a character for example. this is where Indy works tend to shine
over mainstream ones. Most main Marvel and Dc titles get stuck in their overall universes continuities and the stories suffer for it, whereas most Indy books
don't have to deal with this.

Personally, I think Bendis has done much for the company, and is talented. But i think Marvel needs to better divide the work load, and assign works to
their people depending on if that is the element they excel at or not if they want more rave reviews. And Bendis therein limited to less projects, in his case
single characters, especially street ones which seems to be where he does the best work. Just my opinion though.

#4 Posted by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATPANEXE said:
"i don't think anyone hates him, or any other writer persay, but the reason, bottom line is weak writing, in the case of him and guys like Fraction seems to stemfrom them being overstretched to too many titles and jobs, and also put on titles that really don't match up with their specific writing skills just because theyre namegenerates news blitzes and interest ( Bendis, Fraction, Loeb, ect have written some fantastic books, but usually those titles fit their style).and no, Bendis isn't in full control, none of them are especially when involved in a main title and/or event. aside from other crew members they have to concedeto other factors that naturally fall in place, like deadlines and what another writer has planned for a character for example. this is where Indy works tend to shineover mainstream ones. Most main Marvel and Dc titles get stuck in their overall universes continuities and the stories suffer for it, whereas most Indy books don't have to deal with this. Personally, I think Bendis has done much for the company, and is talented. But i think Marvel needs to better divide the work load, and assign works to their people depending on if that is the element they excel at or not if they want more rave reviews. And Bendis therein limited to less projects, in his casesingle characters, especially street ones which seems to be where he does the best work. Just my opinion though. "

I suspected that after reading Fear Itself, what's sad is that Marvel has a massive continuity of Major Events that's starting to force more pressure onto their writers and force the amount of seriousness away from the Marvel Universe.

First time I gave up on reading Marvel in the 90's was how it got redundant after realizing how every single day the world was on the verge of coming to an end.

#5 Posted by Zaiyan (461 posts) - - Show Bio

What I don't like about Bendis is even when he is writing team books well, is he builds things up and up and then forgets about his own continuity. In Siege we were getting little hints that Phobos was this little kid with Incredible Powers, he was about to come of age and be a powerhouse. Sentry then kills the daddy of Phobos, Ares is ripped in half. It was the perfect time to bring in Phobos and have PHOBOS KILL SENTRY
instead we get a usual Thor vs Sentry battle
Which was wrote kinda lame and the fight was so badly written its actually difficult to figure if Thor even won. Sentry before Thor lands a death blow says he wanted to die anyway, and Thor throws him into a place that powers him up...the Sun. Really stupid comic, I'm disgusted this TPB is on so many book stands across the US and the world. It was a really lame ending to an arc that could have been written much better

#6 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't hate Bendis, but I think it's time he stops writing Avengers. Seriously it's been like 8 years.

#7 Posted by superboyrocks13 (1089 posts) - - Show Bio

well i hate him he screws up cool charcters he messed up noh-varr and dozens of others

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.