Does anyone else find Bendis to be rather... troubled?

#1 Edited by AuldWolf (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, but there's something about him that bothers me. I'm vocal in my opinion of him as a hack, but it goes deeper than that. Yes, every writer has their quirks, but Bendis takes things to a whole new level of depravity. From his troll-bating freak self-inserts (see: new Beast); to his superhero snuff fetish; to his nigh-solipsistic "imaginary friend" dialogue; to his painfully rampant poor handling of women (and that's being political as I still seethe over that Cage & Elektra scene, you know which one); to his attempt to spray gang lingo and snark everywhere, even where it doesn't belong, to the point where it dumbs down the comic and almost assassinates long loved characters who'd never talk that way (poor Doom).

I know some other writers have been troubled, but I'd take Alan Moore's obsession with pairing pretty girls and monsters, Warren Ellis' (let's pretend) hatred of dogs, Grant Morrison's frequent inclusion of transhumanist/shamanic elements in plots, or even Chris Claremont's hypnofetishism over what I've been exposed to thanks to Bendis. He's just dragging the average expected intelligence of mainstream comics and mainstream comic readers down into the ditch with him. I feel a little ashamed to be seen with a Marvel comic as of late, so I've gone back to indie stuff (Atomic Robo is a lovely little book which I must recommend), and I wouldn't be surprised if others have felt the same way.

Maybe it's just the way the wind is blowing? I might be an old fart who isn't down with the new crowd of comic readers who supposedly enjoy this sort of thing, readers who love their characters invariably talking street and snark, who love dumbed down plots, and enjoy seeing women treated badly. But I hope that isn't the case. Really, I'm just wondering if Marvel have any integrity left, because if Bendis is as troubled as I believe him to be, then I just can't wrap my mind around why any editor would allow a sole script of his to be published. He is, to my perception, a truly troubled little man.

And I'm hoping that some of you must agree. Some of you must have had it up to about here with Bendis's shenanigans, surely?

#2 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@AuldWolf: Excellently written post.  
 
Bendis is a clear and unapologetic misogynist. Only Zeb Wells and Tom Brevoort come close to his level of chauvinism.  
 
Any woman in a Bendis comic is merely used to facilitate conversation between males, or to be used for coitus.  
 
Have you seen the character "Kong" in Ultimate Spider-Man? A character shamelessly and clearly based on Bendis himself, who later gets in a relationship with Kitty Pryde. It's become apparent that Bendis has crushes on various characters, and uses others to live out his own sordid fantasies. 
#3 Posted by entropy_aegis (15329 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@AuldWolf: Excellently written post. Bendis is a clear and unapologetic misogynist. Only Zeb Wells and Tom Brevoort come close to his level of chauvinism. Any woman in a Bendis comic is merely used to facilitate conversation between males, or to be used for coitus. Have you seen the character "Kong" in Ultimate Spider-Man? A character shamelessly and clearly based on Bendis himself, who later gets in a relationship with Kitty Pryde. It's become apparent that Bendis has crushes on various characters, and uses others to live out his own sordid fantasies.

Same goes for Geoff Johns.

#4 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

It's become apparent that Bendis has crushes on various characters, and uses others to live out his own sordid fantasies.

I remember an interview with Bendis around the start of New Avengers. Interviewer asked him "What do you like about Spider-Woman?" and he didn't respond with liking reading her old comics, or her potential as a character but instead "She has the best hair".

#5 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@AuldWolf: Excellently written post. Bendis is a clear and unapologetic misogynist. Only Zeb Wells and Tom Brevoort come close to his level of chauvinism. Any woman in a Bendis comic is merely used to facilitate conversation between males, or to be used for coitus. Have you seen the character "Kong" in Ultimate Spider-Man? A character shamelessly and clearly based on Bendis himself, who later gets in a relationship with Kitty Pryde. It's become apparent that Bendis has crushes on various characters, and uses others to live out his own sordid fantasies.

Same goes for Geoff Johns.

Wonder Woman and Superman!  
 
Why? Because Superman needs to wet his whistle with a big name heroine. Terrible. 
#6 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Once upon a time Bendis was an excellent writer, and I seriously think that if he'd stop writing 20 comics at once his writing would improve once more.  

#7 Posted by entropy_aegis (15329 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@AuldWolf: Excellently written post. Bendis is a clear and unapologetic misogynist. Only Zeb Wells and Tom Brevoort come close to his level of chauvinism. Any woman in a Bendis comic is merely used to facilitate conversation between males, or to be used for coitus. Have you seen the character "Kong" in Ultimate Spider-Man? A character shamelessly and clearly based on Bendis himself, who later gets in a relationship with Kitty Pryde. It's become apparent that Bendis has crushes on various characters, and uses others to live out his own sordid fantasies.

Same goes for Geoff Johns.

Wonder Woman and Superman! Why? Because Superman needs to wet his whistle with a big name heroine. Terrible.

Hal and Barry being best buddies only cause he likes them both.

Batman being unable to use the GL ring due to some BS about fear but Sinestro and Henshaw can use it just fine.

#8 Posted by Saren (25687 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Hal and Barry were close friends pre-Flashpoint and even pre-Johns' involvement in the Flash and Green Lantern books. Johns didn't really make that up, it was an existing plot element. Although Hal (I think) did once say something to the effect that he was closer friends with Ollie than he was with Barry.

Moderator
#9 Posted by entropy_aegis (15329 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

@entropy_aegis: Hal and Barry were close friends pre-Flashpoint and even pre-Johns' involvement in the Flash and Green Lantern books. Johns didn't really make that up, it was an existing plot element. Although Hal (I think) did once say something to the effect that he was closer friends with Ollie than he was with Barry.

I stand corrected then...but he's still a fanboy.

#10 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane said:

@entropy_aegis: Hal and Barry were close friends pre-Flashpoint and even pre-Johns' involvement in the Flash and Green Lantern books. Johns didn't really make that up, it was an existing plot element. Although Hal (I think) did once say something to the effect that he was closer friends with Ollie than he was with Barry.

The thing that Johns added was Barry disliking Ollie, and Ollie being a directly poor influence on Hal, something that was never around before that. 
#11 Posted by dondave (37615 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: why would batman be able to use the GL ring

#12 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@AuldWolf said:

I don't know, but there's something about him that bothers me. I'm vocal in my opinion of him as a hack, but it goes deeper than that. Yes, every writer has their quirks, but Bendis takes things to a whole new level of depravity. From his troll-bating freak self-inserts (see: new Beast); to his superhero snuff fetish; to his nigh-solipsistic "imaginary friend" dialogue; to his painfully rampant poor handling of women (and that's being political as I still seethe over that Cage & Elektra scene, you know which one); to his attempt to spray gang lingo and snark everywhere, even where it doesn't belong, to the point where it dumbs down the comic and almost assassinates long loved characters who'd never talk that way (poor Doom).

I know some other writers have been troubled, but I'd take Alan Moore's obsession with pairing pretty girls and monsters, Warren Ellis' (let's pretend) hatred of dogs, Grant Morrison's frequent inclusion of transhumanist/shamanic elements in plots, or even Chris Claremont's hypnofetishism over what I've been exposed to thanks to Bendis. He's just dragging the average expected intelligence of mainstream comics and mainstream comic readers down into the ditch with him. I feel a little ashamed to be seen with a Marvel comic as of late, so I've gone back to indie stuff (Atomic Robo is a lovely little book which I must recommend), and I wouldn't be surprised if others have felt the same way.

Maybe it's just the way the wind is blowing? I might be an old fart who isn't down with the new crowd of comic readers who supposedly enjoy this sort of thing, readers who love their characters invariably talking street and snark, who love dumbed down plots, and enjoy seeing women treated badly. But I hope that isn't the case. Really, I'm just wondering if Marvel have any integrity left, because if Bendis is as troubled as I believe him to be, then I just can't wrap my mind around why any editor would allow a sole script of his to be published. He is, to my perception, a truly troubled little man.

And I'm hoping that some of you must agree. Some of you must have had it up to about here with Bendis's shenanigans, surely?

To say that I agree with you would be a gross understatement. Bendis has a way of resorting to shocking for the sake of shocking that I find utterly annoying. An other thing that deeply annoys me is his bad habit of emptying his bladder on the works of former writers in order to make the character "his". No one can let Thanos get punched by a giant tree and be entirey sane according to me.

#13 Posted by Billy Batson (58031 posts) - - Show Bio
Silence, fool.

BB

#14 Posted by daredevil21134 (11860 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

Silence, fool.

BB

lol

#15 Posted by TDK_1997 (14897 posts) - - Show Bio

He was once good.

#16 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

Thankfully, I think David Mack has been giving him lessons in writing during Daredevil: End of Days. If he comes out the other side with even 10% of Mack's influence, I'll be happy.

#17 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting thread.

I do enjoy some of his work (Daredevil, Ultimate Spidey...) but he also made a lot of questionable decisions and poor stories over the years.

@AuldWolf said:

I know some other writers have been troubled, but I'd take Alan Moore's obsession with pairing pretty girls and monsters, Warren Ellis' (let's pretend) hatred of dogs, Grant Morrison's frequent inclusion of transhumanist/shamanic elements in plots, or even Chris Claremont's hypnofetishism over what I've been exposed to thanks to Bendis.

I can't agree with that though. Moore's Swamp Thing is one thing but he went a little too far recently... (see Alan Moore's Neonomicon)

#18 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

Troubled... that's one way of putting it :P

But yes, i do agree with everything you wrote.

#19 Posted by Joygirl (20003 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/bendis.jpg

#20 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13201 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@CitizenBane said:

@entropy_aegis: Hal and Barry were close friends pre-Flashpoint and even pre-Johns' involvement in the Flash and Green Lantern books. Johns didn't really make that up, it was an existing plot element. Although Hal (I think) did once say something to the effect that he was closer friends with Ollie than he was with Barry.

The thing that Johns added was Barry disliking Ollie, and Ollie being a directly poor influence on Hal, something that was never around before that.

That was actually Mark Waid. he brought it in during his Brave and The Bold mini series during the 90's. Hal also said he was better friends with Barry during his time as the Spectre but i think he was just teasing Ollie.

#21 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13201 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@AuldWolf: Excellently written post. Bendis is a clear and unapologetic misogynist. Only Zeb Wells and Tom Brevoort come close to his level of chauvinism. Any woman in a Bendis comic is merely used to facilitate conversation between males, or to be used for coitus. Have you seen the character "Kong" in Ultimate Spider-Man? A character shamelessly and clearly based on Bendis himself, who later gets in a relationship with Kitty Pryde. It's become apparent that Bendis has crushes on various characters, and uses others to live out his own sordid fantasies.

Same goes for Geoff Johns.

Wonder Woman and Superman! Why? Because Superman needs to wet his whistle with a big name heroine. Terrible.

Hal and Barry being best buddies only cause he likes them both.

Batman being unable to use the GL ring due to some BS about fear but Sinestro and Henshaw can use it just fine.

Hal and Barry have been close since the Silver Age.

#22 Posted by Airstrike (190 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis is the reason I quit buying Marvel comics, he ruined them!

#23 Posted by MatKrenz (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@Airstrike: He ruined all of them ? How is that possible ?

#24 Posted by PunyParker (11133 posts) - - Show Bio

@x35 said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

It's become apparent that Bendis has crushes on various characters, and uses others to live out his own sordid fantasies.

I remember an interview with Bendis around the start of New Avengers. Interviewer asked him "What do you like about Spider-Woman?" and he didn't respond with liking reading her old comics, or her potential as a character but instead "She has the best hair".

That's true,he has a crush on her.....having her forced into the Ultimate U. i agree.....

But the "She has the best hair". was clearly a joke...

And about the "female characters" agruement,i think there are writers who cant write a woman at all......he does a decent job.....his MJ was great.

#25 Edited by MideonNViscera (367 posts) - - Show Bio

@auldwolf said:

(and that's being political as I still seethe over that Cage & Elektra scene, you know which one);

Sorry, you lost me there, crazy guy.

EDIT: Ancient bump tricked me. Maybe you've gotten help in the past 9 months haha

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.