Why You Need to Get THE PRIVATE EYE by Brian K. Vaughan & Marcos Martin

Posted by G-Man (33891 posts) - - Show Bio

It's almost unnecessary to have to explain why you should check out the new digital comic, THE PRIVATE EYE. You only need to know two reasons to get this: Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin. The fact that these two (along with Muntsa Vicente doing the colors) are responsible for this comic is all you need to know to want to get this.

The idea is, these guys want to offer you a DRM-free comic. What that means is once you buy it and download it, it's yours forever. You don't need to worry about using a different service or reader to check it out. You even have a choice in the format - PDF, CBR or CBZ.

The first comic they're offering is THE PRIVATE EYE. It's 32-pages and is available in English, Spanish & Catalan. What is it about?

Our first new storyline is THE PRIVATE EYE, a forward-looking mystery we created with colorist Muntsa Vicente. Set in a future where privacy is considered a sacred right and everyone has a secret identity, The Private Eye is a serialized sci-fi detective story for mature readers. You can download our 32-page first issue right now, for any price you think is fair. 100% of your payments go directly into our greedy mitts and will help fund the rest of a story that we're both very proud of (we hope there will be around 10 issues total; an old-school "maxiseries!"), so thanks for reading...

Did you catch that? You can pay whatever you want. After you read the first issue, you're going to wish you paid more. It's that good. I'll do a full review for the issue tomorrow. For now, you can buy this yourself.

http://panelsyndicate.com/

These guys are brilliant creators. You've most likely loved their work in the past. Go support them and this comic and treat yourself to a fascinating and gorgeous story at the same time.

Here's a few preview pages from their website:

Staff
#1 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds fascinating!

#2 Posted by G-Man (33891 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't even care what it was about or how many pages. I just bought it straight out.

Staff
#3 Posted by MatKrenz (1233 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the thread I created this morning is now pointless. But still amazing comic book, everyone should read it. It's another great BKV comic book.

#4 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Already purchased

#5 Posted by Mucklefluga (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

LOVED IT! I paid 2 dollars, really wished i paid more. Ill definitely pay more for the next issue.

#6 Posted by dcfox (154 posts) - - Show Bio

Is there a difference in quality between pdf, cbr and cbz? And what do I need to be able to read this on my computer/phone or tablet?

#7 Posted by tiocoy (19 posts) - - Show Bio

one of the best comics of the year so far!!

#8 Posted by dondave (37299 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I have to pick this up now

#9 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Read it. Loved it. Can't wait for more.

#10 Posted by Perfect 10 (1047 posts) - - Show Bio

interesting. i created a villain called smiley with the same creepy smiley face on the back of his head

#11 Posted by G-Man (33891 posts) - - Show Bio

@MatKrenz: It's not pointless. If there's a thread, great. The more people that find out about this and support it, the more great comics we can get. If this turns out not to be successful, we lose.

@dcfox: I'm sure someone can answer better than I can. I just got the PDF and use preview to open it. The others have to do with compression of the file and, I think, you need a reader to open them? Someone else wanna jump in?

Staff
#12 Posted by Walzo (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

This was a great and fun read. I loved Marcos Martin on Daredevil and I love BKV on Saga, so I was happy when I saw this.

I bought it for regular comic price.

#13 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't pick this up because I know I'd pay something real cheap for it, and I don't want to cheat them.

#14 Posted by G-Man (33891 posts) - - Show Bio

@JamesKM716: It's 32 pages. Pay what you think. Pay what you'd pay for a regular comic. Pay a little more if you'd want to support them and keep it going. It's all up to you.

Staff
#15 Posted by dcfox (154 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man: Thanks for the response. I went with the PDF.

#16 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6853 posts) - - Show Bio

BKV FTW!!! loveeeeed Y the Last man.

already got it. Can't believe this is pay whatever you want!

#17 Posted by TimeLordScience (944 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:

@MatKrenz: It's not pointless. If there's a thread, great. The more people that find out about this and support it, the more great comics we can get. If this turns out not to be successful, we lose.

@dcfox: I'm sure someone can answer better than I can. I just got the PDF and use preview to open it. The others have to do with compression of the file and, I think, you need a reader to open them? Someone else wanna jump in?

You can download a comic reader to read .cbr and the like. I use a program called Comical, you can find it by searching it on Google and the download's safe.

#18 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9054 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely going to get this

#19 Posted by SlickyMike88 (224 posts) - - Show Bio

I read my majority of comics in Comixology, sure it will not exist forever but I don't think it'l disappear anytime soon either. I hope there will be a way to download your comics from Comixology to the computer in the future. Now to the point ,Brian K Vaugh?!, I really liked Saga ^^ so ill take a peek into this:)

#20 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (832 posts) - - Show Bio

Dang this looks good.

#21 Posted by judasnixon (6584 posts) - - Show Bio

It's So Good...... and I get Saga tomorrow! It's like christmas.....

#22 Posted by Turkeysammich (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Really, really liked this. Was it mentioned anywhere how often this will come out(monthly?)?

#23 Posted by Samwritescomics (13 posts) - - Show Bio

I paid $2.99. What did other people pay?

#24 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

is that a cheshire cat reference on the back of his hoodie?

#25 Posted by MrVoo (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Just finished reading the first issue. Easily worth the 5 dollars I paid for it. I hope they make enough money to release a TPB version of this.

#26 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@JamesKM716 said:

I don't pick this up because I know I'd pay something real cheap for it, and I don't want to cheat them.

I'm sure they'd appreciate anything they can get. It's the size of a regular comic book so use your best judgement. Don't miss out on this, it's excellent.

#27 Posted by butters911 (261 posts) - - Show Bio

I bought it for 1.99

I fought the urge to pay nothing cause I am a cheap bastard

I didn't pay Radiohead anything for In Rainbows, but I figure they are a lot richer than Marcos Martin

#28 Posted by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

After Sacrifice earlier this seems to be another intriguing project and comic. It must be some wicked comic book day today. I'm definitely getting this.

March 20 - 32 pages - I'm gonna pay $3.20.

#29 Posted by MuyJingo (1754 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm supporting this financially. Not sure I will like the comic, although I probably will, but I think it's important to support non DRM media. My comic book collection is already in CBR, and it's fantastic they offer that option. $10 from me.

#30 Posted by nappystr8 (1105 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a super fun book so far. It's an interesting mix of a traditional noir private eye tale, and some unique futuristic elements that even give Saga a run for its money. It has a lot spiritually in common with Brian Azzarrello's Spaceman, but is still definitely it's own thing. And you get to name your own price or get it free. There is literally no reason not to get in on this.

#31 Posted by zombietag (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

bought and read this. i was suprised you didnt post this sooner.

#32 Posted by carlfoster91 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

@JamesKM716: better than them getting no money at all.

#33 Posted by zombietag (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

@dcfox said:

Is there a difference in quality between pdf, cbr and cbz? And what do I need to be able to read this on my computer/phone or tablet?

@G-Man said:

there is no difference in quality. they are all simply compressed files of images (probably jpegs). CBRs are retitled RAR files and CBZs are retitled ZIP files. both of these files are used with digital comic reading programs such as FFView.

PDFs, obviously, are generic universal files that can have many qualities or purposes, but in this case have the same quality and purpose as the other files.

#34 Posted by CitizenJP (597 posts) - - Show Bio

Man this looks awesome. I love the art and character designs. I am getting this RIGHT....now.

#35 Posted by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

@zombietag said:

@dcfox said:

@G-Man said:

there is no difference in quality. they are all simply compressed files of images (probably jpegs). CBRs are retitled RAR files and CBZs are retitled ZIP files. both of these files are used with digital comic reading programs such as FFView.

PDFs, obviously, are generic universal files that can have many qualities or purposes, but in this case have the same quality and purpose as the other files.

Also, it's easier to extract images from archives (CBR/RAR, CBZ/ZIP) than from PDF documents. I always prefer the archived versions over PDFs when it comes to comics (or collection of images).

#36 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Marcos Martin alone is about all the motivation I need for this. Man I'm loving those interiors.

#37 Posted by skooks (205 posts) - - Show Bio

The first issue was so good, easily one of the best things I've read all year. Can't wait to read more!

#38 Posted by salmy (32 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a great first issue. I hope it gets printed in a trade because I would love to own it physically. I downloaded the PDF and the CBR. I used perfect viewer to read it on my phone in the CBR format but you can manage with the PDF and Adobe Reader if you want.

#39 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5864 posts) - - Show Bio

If Brian K. Vaughan is writing this, then I'm definitely picking this up!!!

#40 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5051 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely getting this! Saga, Y the Last Man and Ex Machina are some of my favorite stories.

#41 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed the heck out of this. Marcos Martin gets better and better with each project and Vaughan never seems to disappoint.

While visually and thematically this may, on a surface level, feel VERY much like a Morrison and Quitely collaboration, it's definitely its own creature.

The visuals are vivid and weird and the concepts are a fun (horrifying?) idea of what 50-60 years from now might be like.

I particularly enjoyed the grandpa character, a skewering of today's culture.

#42 Posted by morinessan (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello folks

I'm new to comics, since Slott killed P.Parker (yes, this kind of marketing works) and I was wondering if $6 is a proper amount for this comic or am I being to cheap? I'm considering that I usually pay $4 for DCs or Marvels, around 22 pages and I don't even own the copy to read it where I want. Anybody knows if it's going to be printed ever?

Is as good as Saga? I love Saga.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.