The Brainiac Family Tree

#1 Posted by Sinestro2828 (1507 posts) - - Show Bio

According to what I've read Brainiac 1 (Superman's longtime nemesis) is father to Brainiac 2, who in turn is father to Brainiac 3...But from then on I'm unsure as to how the family tree progresses.  Brainiac 5 of the Legion of Super Heroes is supposed to be the child of Brainiac 4, but I'm a bit confused because according to comicvine the name Brainiac 4 refers to both his mother AND his father, and since Brainiac 5 is from the future I'm unsure how distantly related Brainiac 4 is to Brainiacs 2 & 3. 

Oh, and apparently Brainiac 8/Indigo comes from even further in the future than Brainiac 5, and there had to have been a Brainiac 6-7 as well at somepoint (so no idea how they're connected to the rest of the Brainy family tree).

Can anyone clear this up for me?

#2 Posted by comixkid2099 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

There is indeed Brainiac, Vril Dox Jr (that is what he is almost always known for, but he is also called Brainiac 2 only briefly), Lyrl Dox, who demands to be called Brainiac 3, and then there's Brainiac 5 in the future, and there are mentions of a Brainiac 6, who programmed Indigo, and there is also a Brainiac 13 from the 64th century. 

The thing is, though, Brainiac 5, and presumably all of the following Brainiacs, do not come from Lyrl Dox/Brainiac 3. In the first volume of the most recent R.E.B.E.L.S. series, a hologram of Brainiac 5 tells Vril that if he dies, the Dox line dies with him. This is after the birth of Lyrl, so it maybe means that Lyrl will die soon, or he is just not the ancestor to all the other Brainiacs, and Dox will have another child.

#3 Posted by AtPhantom (14465 posts) - - Show Bio

After Brainiac 3, the Brainiac name is forgotten for a thousand years until B5's father reclaims it in an attempt to clear his family's name, becoming Brainiac 4. He gives his son the same purpose, and he takes the name Brainiac 5.

#4 Posted by 04nbod (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Pre Crisis there were only 5 Brainiacs. as stated in Secrets of the Legion of Super-heroes. Brainiac adopted Vril Dox, had a son called Pran Dox who had a son called Kajz Dox who was the father of Querl Dox. This presumes Coluans lived a very long time. 

In reboot continuity Querl's mother was Brainiac 4.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.