Less Bitchin' More Pitchin': "Let's Go Booster!"

Posted by fodigg (6147 posts) - - Show Bio

Book title: "Let's Go Booster!"

Book concept: Booster Gold back in high school.

I want to see DC Comics put out a Booster Gold book that takes place in neo-Gotham where Michael Jon "Booster" Carter is a high school senior and the captain/quarterback of the football team. The point of this book would be the typical high school "football drama" but with a futuristic and superhero twist. Booster would NOT be a superhero in this book, but he would have chances to be heroic: for a football team that's counting on him, for Booster's friends, for classmates that Booster doesn't yet consider friends but maybe should, and for a family dealing with the abuses and excesses of Booster's father.

First and foremost it would be a book about a teen protagonist dealing with usual stresses of high school, but it would also frequently reference and tie into the super-human nature of the DC universe as well as the environmentally bleak vision of the future first seen in the pages of Booster Gold.

Booster's personality:

• I like to think of Booster Gold as Flash Thompson with the old Parker luck. He's the big man on campus but at the same time he's got a rough home life he's embarrassed of and tries to hide. Booster genuinely wants to be a good person—partly because he compulsively wants to please everyone; to be everybody's friend and live up to his own hype—but he's often irresponsible, lazy, or just kind of an ass without meaning to be. He's anything but a saint, but he's also not a bully or a thug.
  • Booster's primary motivations are helping his family and guaranteeing himself a future after high school via scholarship.
  • Booster likes to hang out, party, and have a good time, but as established does not drink alcohol (possibly because of his father's bad example?) and is surprisingly awkward dealing with girls. Frequently bumbles endearingly while attempting to be the suave campus hero everybody tells him he is.

Supporting characters:

• Jonar Jon Carter: Booster's gambling-addicted father.
  • Mom (currently unnamed): Booster's chronically-ill mother (who I can't believe hasn't been named in continuity yet).
  • Michelle: Booster's younger sister who looks up to him more than he realizes.
  • Coach of the football team: Puts Booster under tremendous pressure, talking him up when he succeeds and putting him down or blaming him whenever the team does poorly.
  • Backup QB: Close friend of Booster's from within the "jock" clique, last name of "Stone" to imply a connection to fellow football star hero Cyborg.
  • Other players: All have their own personalities, problems, and concerns, which Booster comes into conflict with at times and helps with at other times.
  • Neighbor: A friend of Booster's from when they were younger who is more part of the "geek" clique but remains friends with Booster. Should be the "Ted Kord" of Booster's youth and, even though they get separated into different cliques at school, they remain friends and frequently join up on the net for video games (where for once Booster isn't the big star).
  • Cheerleader captain: Booster's ex-girlfriend who he likes but her interest is fickle at best. She seems to be only interested in Booster for popularity points at school, although her character should be developed more over the course of the comic (think "Cordelia" from Buffy).
  • Primary love interest: A loner-type girl who Booster is interested in partly because she doesn't care about the football team and doesn't fit with the usual cliques. She is largely uninterested and he tries to win her over while at the same time being led on by the cheerleader.

Plot hooks:

• Booster's ultimate goal is to land a scholarship to guarantee a future. This hinges on a winning season and good personal performance on the field.
  • Booster tries not to fail classes so he doesn't get benched from football for academic suspension.
  • Booster's coach turns on him as he hits a slump and he's ostracized by those who used to support him.
  • Booster struggles with his own desires regarding his love life and various interested parties, which distracts him from work, school, and football.
  • Booster tries to shield his mother and sister from his father's drinking, violence, and verbal abuse.
  • Booster first develops his "anything for a buck" attitude trying to literally keep the lights on at home as his father gambles away the family savings.
  • Booster is first tempted with illegal money-making opportunities.
  • Supervillain attack on the city causes a crisis that Booster has to help his family survive and ride out (rinse and repeat).
  • A classmate of Booster's is actually a teen superhero who either turns dark, meets a tragic end, or both (for once it's not the main character!).
  • The big football rivals, who are also jerks, crush them in the regular season and are first up in regionals for the post-season. This bleeds over into harassment and fighting between fans and players on the streets.
  • Some of Booster's teammates are involved with substance abuse and he has to decide on turning them in, which could possibly cost the whole team their season.
  • Some of Booster's classmates are involved with gang activity in the city, drawing Booster and Michelle into street violence they'd rather having nothing to do with.
  • Booster has opportunities to cheat in various ways: in football, in the classroom, and on relationships. He learns the hard way about fair play.
  • Booster and "neighbor" have various online adventures in a classic superhero-themed online game.
  • Booster's classmate has a problem in or out of school and Booster tries to help them with it (rinse and repeat).
  • Booster's dad goes way overboard and beats the tar out of Booster. Booster wants to hide what happened but "neighbor" knows the truth. Rather than accept help, Booster turns on his friend.
  • Booster tries to balance his social life with practice, school work, hanging out with his younger sister, and financially supporting his family.

DC universe tie-ins:

• The football team is named the Sentinels as a reference to Alan Scott. Team color is green.
  • Booster dresses up as "Batman" for Halloween only to be told that he's actually wearing Batgirl's uniform instead.
  • Booster and "neighbor" frequent a DC superhero-themed videogame where Booster always picks Batman or Superman while "neighbor" opts for more obscure characters like Flamebird or Batwing. "Neighbor" is the leader of their superhero "guild" in this game and they go on superhero-themed adventures.
  • Water is very scarce, as mentioned in the original Booster Gold run, and one of the big motivators the coach forwards to the team is a hot shower with actual clean water for every win.
  • Rip Hunter frequently stops by to substitute teach and watch Booster play.
  • Booster often finds enigmatic and seemingly nonsensical messages written on blackboards as a reference to 52 and his recent solo title. These should be lighthearted and deal with the typical high school rumor mill instead of line-wide DC conspiracy theories (i.e., teasers).

Why I'd like to see it: I like Booster Gold as a character. One of the primary reasons I like him is because he's the inverse of a common superhero theme. Instead of the geeky underdog getting the superpowers, it's the jock, the popular kid, the ass. And yet, that's still interesting and still okay and oddly enough we enjoy cheering for him. I think this book would be a great way to explore that concept to its fullest as well as provide the DC lineup with another type of comic that fans don't get to see very often. High school "football dramas" are popular enough but I can't think of a single comic book title that surrounds the theme. Just as DC Comics has a military book, a western, and sword-and-sorcery titles, I think it could benefit from having this type of title.

Do I ever expect to see this type of book? No. But it's fun to dream. "Let's go Booster!" indeed.

#1 Posted by Superdork (924 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Edited by fodigg (6147 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork said:

Glad to hear it! Only took seven months for someone to. :) Too bad in post-revamp much of Booster's recent awesomeness has been lost, but I still think the above could work, if they were ever inclined to try something like this.

#3 Posted by The_Tree (8186 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@Superdork said:

Glad to hear it. Only took seven months for someone to. :) Too bad in post-revamp much of Booster's recent awesomeness has been lost, but I still think the above could work, if they were ever inclined to try something like this.

Makes me sad too.

I would read the **** out of this series if it were real. The way the this thread is titled made me think that it'd be funny if the football coach had a striking resemblance to Guy Gardner.

#4 Posted by fodigg (6147 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@fodigg said:

@Superdork said:

Glad to hear it. Only took seven months for someone to. :) Too bad in post-revamp much of Booster's recent awesomeness has been lost, but I still think the above could work, if they were ever inclined to try something like this.

Makes me sad too.

I would read the **** out of this series if it were real. The way the this thread is titled made me think that it'd be funny if the football coach had a striking resemblance to Guy Gardner.

Oh man, yes! Yes, that would be perfect!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.