"Die Hard," The Comic Book?

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Many of you probably have an affinity for one of Bruce Willis' biggest hit movies, Die Hard; the story of John McClane, a New York City cop who " gives terrorists a taste of their own medicine ' when he fights to save hostages in an Los Angeles office building. The action packed thriller that was nominated for four Oscars, will now be taken from film to comic panels, courtesy of Boom! Studios . The comic book will be titled "Die Hard: Year One" and will be telling the origin story of the Willis' beloved character. In an interview with MTV news , writer/artist Howard Chaykin revealed what we can expect from the sequel.

“We’re dealing with McClane as a 23-year-old Marine veteran, new to the force from Queens, just loving his job,...The series is going to explain exactly how he got his gold shield...What we’re doing is hitting the high points of the drama of the 1970s and using them as the background and springboards for the issues,...The first four-issue arc takes place on the Bicentennial — the Fourth of July in 1976...The great irony of the Bicentennial celebration is that it was at a time when New York City was kind of a scary place and the rest of the country really hated New York,...So the irony of the 200th birthday of the United States being celebrated in a place that was regarded as a sodomite hell-hole wasn’t lost on anyone."

Sounds pretty cool, right? Chaykin, who will be scripting the new series, grew up in New York City around the time when all of this was happening. Having lived through the rough time period in New York, Chaykin will be able to give a real perspective and accurate account of what life was like for someone around McClane's age at that time. Chaykin plans on giving a background to McClane's character  and eventually introducing characters familiar to fans of the "Die Hard" movies. I am pretty excited about this, not only because the writing sounds like it will be really good (as well as accurate,) but the panels that followed look really awesome as well. Check out the three covers to the first three issues, below. The art, in my opinion, looks pretty awesome. What do you guys think? Do you think you will pick it up? I think it's a great way to use a film character we are already so familiar with, and tell the story of where he came from and how it all began. It should be pretty interesting. You can pick up the first issue of "Die Hard: Year One" in stores this August.

#1 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, this looks pretty cool. I loved the movies, and I think the art shown looks pretty neat. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

#2 Posted by Jane McClane (201 posts) - - Show Bio
I"M COMING DADDY!!!!
#3 Posted by Jane McClane (201 posts) - - Show Bio

No... no, I am not overtly excited for this comic... *squirms in chair, and giggles with excitement...* ahem...

#4 Edited by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19713 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to give this a try because it's BOOM studios...does Mcclane have a mustache in the one pic?

#5 Posted by NightFang (9648 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow.

#6 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

Is that John McClane with HAIR!??? it must be set in the seventies

#7 Posted by inferiorego (20600 posts) - - Show Bio

ohohohohohohhhhhhohohohohhohhhohohhhhhhh

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it

Staff
#8 Posted by Kurrent (14061 posts) - - Show Bio

This should be great Die Hard is on of my favorite movies

#9 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

That's an interesting concept.  Don't know, though, kind of on the fence.  I like Chaykin's work  so it should do well.  Great covers.  

#10 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if Mr. Willis will be involved in any way shape or form, He loves that character and wouldn't let anybody muck it up

#11 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really looking forward to this.

#12 Posted by Jane McClane (201 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tyler Starke said:
"Is that John McClane with HAIR!??? it must be set in the seventies"

Don't worry he'll shave it by the end. hair gets annoying when its matted with blood.

Happy trails Hans!

#13 Edited by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

That settles it, I have to go watch Die hard now!
#14 Posted by Jane McClane (201 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tyler Starke said:
"That settles it, I have to go watch Die hard now!"

This is the part where I say...

YIPPY-CAY-YAY muther...!!!!

#15 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jane McClane:

#16 Posted by iLLituracy (13522 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks badass as all hell.

#17 Posted by LastSon1027 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVE BOOM!

#18 Edited by TwilightThunder (246 posts) - - Show Bio

**** me while i'm jumping! This. Looks. Freakin'. Sweet. The cover artwork by Jock and Johnson was a straight right punch to the brain by a freight train full of dynamite set to explode at impact.

#19 Posted by Jamiracles (351 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh my god. GORGEOUS friggin covers...

#20 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Die Hard, one of the greatest film series ever.
Comic books, the coolest form of literature and art.

A Die Hard comic book series = words too awesome for description.

#21 Posted by Rich-Man (101 posts) - - Show Bio

OH S**T!! die hard comic! how frickin' cool is that!! anyone know any possible release dates??

#22 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY HE HAS HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was bald the last time :P

#23 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

good covers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.