Follow

Boom! Studios

Publisher »

BOOM! Studios is a large independent comic book company founded in 2005 and based in Los Angeles, California, USA.

BOOM! Studios Acquires Archaia

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Eisner and Harvey Award-winning Archaia Entertainment (MOUSE GUARD, A TALE OF SAND) is merging with BOOM! Studios. According to the publisher's press release, the acquisition makes BOOM!'s catalog the largest independent company-controlled selection of comic books and graphic novels. BOOM!'s Chief Executive Officer and founder, Ross Richie, says their "creator-friendly model" guarantees talent is rewarded financially as they create future franchises and will share the intellectual property. He says Archaia follows the same idea and that's just one of the reasons the team-up works so well. Jack Cummins, Archaia President & Chief Operating Officer, says fans can expect more of the same, but with a stronger platform.

“BOOM! is very committed to maintaining the brand we’ve worked so hard to build and preserving our relationship with our creators, fans, and retailers. They’re fans of Archaia first and foremost, and are avidly working behind the scenes to expand our market penetration and carry our catalog deeper into retail channels. Archaia readers can expect the same editorial approach that has garnered industry-wide awards but we will have a much stronger platform to deliver our content in all forms and channels. I am personally looking forward to bringing our team together with the fantastic team Ross has built."

No Caption Provided

Also, BOOM!'s Executive Chairman, Scott Lenet, states they have "ambitious plans" to help the company expand not only in comics and graphic novels, but also in other media as well.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Never read anything from Archaia.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By tupiaz

Work so hard to get? BOOM! buys IPs have they even released one homemade IP?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well this is interesting.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Good for them, BOOM! have been making a lot of moves recently.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@tupiaz said:

This is what makes the money, which is a shame. This medium is art and in any art medium it should be about the art not about the money.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

This is what makes the money, which is a shame. This medium is art and in any art medium it should be about the art not about the money.

What are you talking about?

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thespideyguy said:

@tupiaz said:

My point was that it is sad that BOOM buys all these old comic IPs to make new releases instead of doing something new. Heck there is probably a lot of old folk lore out there there is public domain that could be interesting to give a comic book spin.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

heard of the mouse guard but not of archaia....but glad to hear boom expanding into other media. Freelancers the movie or animated series would make me a happy girl

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jenkale

heard of the mouse guard but not of archaia....but glad to hear boom expanding into other media. Freelancers the movie or animated series would make me a happy girl

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@thespideyguy said:

@tupiaz said:

My point was that it is sad that BOOM buys all these old comic IPs to make new releases instead of doing something new. Heck there is probably a lot of old folk lore out there there is public domain that could be interesting to give a comic book spin.

But BOOM are putting out a bunch of new stuff now like Death Match and Day Men

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say Boom is trying to compete with Darkhorse Comics.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

Freelancers the movie or animated series would make me a happy girl

love freelancers :D

I WANT MY DARKWING DUCK BACK BOOM!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@tupiaz: IRREDEEMABLE, INCORRUPTIBLE, SUICIDE RISK, FREELANCERS, POLARITY, SIX GUN GORILLA, HYPERNATURALS, NEXT TESTAMENT, SUPERBIA, DEATHMATCH, etc, etc. These aren't "old comic IPs."

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

Archaia does release some good material but a small publisher they get very little attention in the comic book media.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Wow, BOOM! is certainly rising in the ranks of the pecking order, isn't it? Well I do get some Boom! titles and some Archaia titles too so hopefully I don't see a decline in quality of the latter with this acquisition.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.