Follow

Bomb Queen

Character » Bomb Queen appears in 60 issues.

Bomb Queen is a Super villain and benevolent ruler of New Port City. She is responsible for turning the city into a haven for criminals by instituting laws that ban super-heroes from entering. She lets her feelings drive her and she is willing to use her sex as a weapon.

Your thoughts on Bomb Queen as a series

Nasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Nasher

What are your thoughts on the character and Bomb Queen series. 

The first time i read a strip i wasn't that impressed.. i could see a one-shot kinda whacked out upside down sort of charm to it and the crudity of the material was very one off..  

Wasn't sure it could sustain a series but it has developed and got a world to inhabit and characters that have room to grow as well as some crossovers with Spawn and Hack/slash that have worked alright.

welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By welshguy

The idea and concept (that of a series centred around a supervillain running a city) is, I think, far better in theory than how its been done in reality. 
    The peekabo nudity (oh look a nipple... how rude, what will the country club say), the writing, the crudity of it all. It reminds me of Mark Millar's Wanted or Nemesis, where just because the primary character is a bad-ass villain nastiness, cruelty, profanity and violence take the place of decent story structure. I mean, why have good dialogue when you can have a bunch of people dying in droves whilst a character says something snarky or a particularly well drawn arse-crack or boob can fill a frame. 
    Makes me sound like a prude, doesn't it? I tend to like concepts a lot more than the real thing. Nemesis and Wanted sounded a damn sight better than they turned out to be in my opinion. And Bomb Queen is no different. You mentioned hack and slash... that's something that's never interested me.  The primary character (cassie is it) looks like she would annoy me. I like boobs and bums and whatnot as much as the next lonely socially inept border-line psychotic chap, but comics that flash too much flesh just for the sake it make me feel like a perv.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Caligula

I think it's friggin awesome.

tim2081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By tim2081

I liked the series, and hope they continue. The cynicism and tone is actually enjoyable to me. It really pushes some boundaries that I think don't get pushed enough.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By fodigg
    @welshguy said:
    The idea and concept (that of a series centred around a supervillain running a city) is, I think, far better in theory than how its been done in reality. The peekabo nudity (oh look a nipple... how rude, what will the country club say), the writing, the crudity of it all. It reminds me of Mark Millar's Wanted or Nemesis, where just because the primary character is a bad-ass villain nastiness, cruelty, profanity and violence take the place of decent story structure. I mean, why have good dialogue when you can have a bunch of people dying in droves whilst a character says something snarky or a particularly well drawn arse-crack or boob can fill a frame. Makes me sound like a prude, doesn't it? I tend to like concepts a lot more than the real thing. Nemesis and Wanted sounded a damn sight better than they turned out to be in my opinion. And Bomb Queen is no different. You mentioned hack and slash... that's something that's never interested me.  The primary character (cassie is it) looks like she would annoy me. I like boobs and bums and whatnot as much as the next lonely socially inept border-line psychotic chap, but comics that flash too much flesh just for the sake it make me feel like a perv.
    Pretty much in agreement with this. It's not the concept or even the cynical/crude humor, it's that, well, the story behind it all is kind of crap.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Caligula
    @fodigg said:
    @welshguy said:
    The idea and concept (that of a series centred around a supervillain running a city) is, I think, far better in theory than how its been done in reality. The peekabo nudity (oh look a nipple... how rude, what will the country club say), the writing, the crudity of it all. It reminds me of Mark Millar's Wanted or Nemesis, where just because the primary character is a bad-ass villain nastiness, cruelty, profanity and violence take the place of decent story structure. I mean, why have good dialogue when you can have a bunch of people dying in droves whilst a character says something snarky or a particularly well drawn arse-crack or boob can fill a frame. Makes me sound like a prude, doesn't it? I tend to like concepts a lot more than the real thing. Nemesis and Wanted sounded a damn sight better than they turned out to be in my opinion. And Bomb Queen is no different. You mentioned hack and slash... that's something that's never interested me.  The primary character (cassie is it) looks like she would annoy me. I like boobs and bums and whatnot as much as the next lonely socially inept border-line psychotic chap, but comics that flash too much flesh just for the sake it make me feel like a perv.
    Pretty much in agreement with this. It's not the concept or even the cynical/crude humor, it's that, well, the story behind it all is kind of crap.
    ?
    since when is obscenity replacing hiding a good story?
    Clockwork Orange? Full Metal Jacket?
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By fodigg
    @Caligula said:
    @fodigg said:
    @welshguy said:
    ? since when is obscenity replacing hiding a good story? Clockwork Orange? Full Metal Jacket?
    I don't understand your comment.  What about them?

I'm saying that, regardless of any of the crudeness or the core concept, the story fails to entertain. The backbone of any fiction is an entertaining narrative and in that regard BOMB QUEEN fails to impress, which trumps all other concerns.
    welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By welshguy
    @Caligula
    Dunno about your choices there regarding obscenity and storyline. I've always considered those rather tame by today's standards (and as I'm not a fan of stanley kubrick I didn't like them anyway). Anyway, obscenity is in the eye of the beholder. I found the Piano with Harvey Keitel and Holly Hunter obscene mainly because I did not enjoy seeing the two of them nude (especially holly hunter... wait.... no i mean holly hunter). 
     My problem with Bomb Queen is that, like Fodigg said, the crude humour, nudity, smuttiness and violence, are not backed up with a decent storyline. Of course this is from the few issues I have read so maybe it improves a hell of a lot as it goes on. Series mature, like spawn, and can become a very different animal from what they began as. 
    daybreak84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By daybreak84

I've only read vol 1 even though I've purchased vol 4,5,6. I'm still looking for the second and third, but I've really enjoyed the first one, excellent story, great humor,lots of violence and TnA. I like how it's based on a villans point of vue instead of a typical hero's. I could see this going places

ShadowPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShadowPro

love her, love the comic, just as wicked as it gets

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#11  Edited By Joygirl

Kinda fun but... honestly, ridiculous. Too much so. It lacks any sort of substance.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.