New Details From The Star Wars TV Show

Posted by inferiorego (21239 posts) - - Show Bio

According to the news collected by io9, someone very special to Star Wars fans everywhere may be a part of the new Star Wars live-action television series. I'll give you a hint: Look at the picture above. 

Karen Traviss, who has written many Star Wars novels, was working on a Boba Fett novel, which many were extremely excited for. Back in December, the novel was cancelled, not by Karen, but by Lucas, with no explanation. There is now an actual reason for why this book has gone kaput, explained by Karen herself:

Yes, the Boba Fett novel was canceled by the publisher because of potential canon clashes with the upcoming TV series, as you have already heard from other sources. No, I really don't have a clue what those clashes might be. Sorry.

Must get out of Sarlacc pit... this sucks.

" Lord Vader. Why am I not as cool as Boba?"  "Look in a mirror." 
So, no, it's not for sure that Boba will be a part of this show 100%, but come on, what else could conflict with the show? The coolest bounty hunter in the Star Wars universe (we're not talkin Dengar here... just Boba) got treated like garbage in the films. He deserves a spot on the show just to show how bad-ass he is.

The story of this show is being kept under wraps. Many people speculate that is takes place between Episode III and A New Hope, so those lovable scamps from the original trilogy, that you've come to know and love, may not be in it. ( Teenage Han sneaking out in his dad's Millennium Falcon, to get drunk in the Degobah System won't be an episode then?) But I still think Boba has a shot! Here's what Lucas had to say about what this show may contain.

It's [a] lot more talky. It's more of what I would call a soap opera with a bunch of personal dramas in it. It's not really based on action-adventure films from the '30s - it's actually more based on film noir movies from the '40s!"

We'll see when it happens I guess.

What do you guys hope to get out of this show? More Dengar? What part, if any, could Boba play in this series?

~ Mat Elfring (InferiorEgo) is a comedian, teacher, comic store employee, comic book writer, and although hates the prequels, is a lover of the ORIGINAL trilogy.  ~       
Staff
#1 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

Get Boba out of the Scarlacc, Put Dengar in. Boba was MADE to be the cool character, Dengar wasn't.
#2 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks amazing. You're right about Boba being treated unfairly in the Trilogy. I wonder if they'll tell how he first became a Bounty Hunter, and how he got his dad's armour to use. 
I also heard that Starkiller from the Force Unleashed games might make an appearence. That'll be cool. 

#3 Edited by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio

Well from what I heard, first...it's not speculation. The show will be between EPIII and ANH. I thought it was confirmed. Secondly I also heard that it’s confirmed that there will be no main characters included in this series, so Boba Fett would fit the billing as he’s really just a glorified extra in the film series, which also gives me hope Lucas wont mess up too much OT continuity…because you know he’s going to. It’s not modern Star Wars unless something’s ruined or contradictory. I’m just hoping…nay…praying that Lucas isn’t writing it and really has little to nothing to do with it. I think that’s reaching for the stars though, no pun intended.     

As for what I'm hoping, I'd like to see a lot of nods to the (arguably superior to anything Lucas himself has released in decades) EU. I wouldn't mind some Black Sun and Xizor. Some Imperial Academy action would be nerdgasmic to prove to those nay-sayers that no, the Empire is not all (or even mostly) clones by the OT. And I would really enjoy Tarkin being a major villain as someone so important in the chain of command of the main villains in the SW franchise really deserved an actual relevant role in ROTS instead of a downgrading three-second cameo.

#4 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

...Sounds good as long as its better the newest three movies and the cartoons.
#5 Posted by jloneblackheart (5497 posts) - - Show Bio

And Boba turns to Vader and says "What if he doesn't survive.......and how do you get your helmet so shiny?"

#6 Posted by inferiorego (21239 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus: I took a look and the only places I could find the confirmations of that are wiki or wookipedia pages, which aren't really reliable sources. Unless, I missed it. 
I read a few other things saying the same thing that main characters won't be in it, which makes me super happy... I want more secondary character action... Boba AND IG-88 would make me super happy
Staff
#7 Edited by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:

" @MysterioMaximus: I took a look and the only places I could find the confirmations of that are wiki or wookipedia pages, which aren't really reliable sources. Unless, I missed it.  I read a few other things saying the same thing that main characters won't be in it, which makes me super happy... I want more secondary character action... Boba AND IG-88 would make me super happy "

To be honest, all I heard was "it's confirmed" from friends and never actually any real confirmation. All hear-say from my SW friends that make me look tame...which is saying something. I agree, Wiki is not good to go by at all. So...who knows really? I think it's probably a safe assumption that it'll be between the two trilogies though.  

Oh totally! IG-88 is a must for me. I really don't want to see baby Han Solo and Lando. Suddenly we discover Lando is the son of Mace Windu and some junk. I really and honestly wouldn’t put that past contemporary Lucas. Yah…I’m not bitter. Hah! Just steer away from main players, that’ll make the chances of destroying and altering more with the OT far less likely. Have characters like Vader and Palpatines presence known, but never actually in the flesh.   

I'll  tell you what I don't want: Force Unleashed the Show! I'd be perfectly fine with not seeing Starkiller a single time.   

#8 Posted by inferiorego (21239 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus said:
" @inferiorego said:

" @MysterioMaximus: I took a look and the only places I could find the confirmations of that are wiki or wookipedia pages, which aren't really reliable sources. Unless, I missed it.  I read a few other things saying the same thing that main characters won't be in it, which makes me super happy... I want more secondary character action... Boba AND IG-88 would make me super happy "

To be honest, all I heard was "it's confirmed" from friends and never actually any real confirmation. All hear-say from my SW friends that make me look tame...which is saying something. I agree, Wiki is not good to go by at all. So...who knows really? I think it's probably a safe assumption that it'll be between the two trilogies though.  

Oh totally! IG-88 is a must for me. I really don't want to see baby Han Solo and Lando. Suddenly we discover Lando is the son of Mace Windu and some junk. I really and honestly wouldn’t put that past contemporary Lucas. Yah…I’m not bitter. Hah! Just steer away from main players, that’ll make the chances of destroying and altering more with the OT far less likely. Have characters like Vader and Palpatines presence known, but never actually in the flesh.   

I'll  tell you what I don't want: Force Unleashed the Show! I'd be perfectly fine with not seeing Starkiller a single time.   

"
Agreed, it is a pretty safe assumption since there is a pretty big lapse of time between films.

The secondary characters are the most interesting ni that universe
Staff
#9 Posted by The Psyentist (16457 posts) - - Show Bio
@jloneblackheart said:
" And Boba turns to Vader and says "What if he doesn't survive.......and how do you get your helmet so shiny?" "

Hahaha.

BOBA FETT!!! Favourite Star Wars character! (Hm, Doctor Doom in Marvel, Boba Fett in Star Wars...I think I have a thing for armoured men...) ;)

#10 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:
" @MysterioMaximus said:
" @inferiorego said:

"
Agreed, it is a pretty safe assumption since there is a pretty big lapse of time between films.  The secondary characters are the most interesting ni that universe "
Absolutely! I was always kind of like that, case in point: Mysterio. I was an eccentric and morbid little kid that always tended to have favorites other people didn't really hate, just never really noticed. I wrote a big ole blog just explaining why Boba Fett is my personal favorite SW character, despite how abused he is in the trilogy itself. It’s that openness, that ability to toy with him and conceive anything you liked. The mystery made him so much more fun to play with as a kid. So my bounty hunters, cantina aliens, and Jabba’s palace denizens showed way more wear than the Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader figures I had in my toy box. It's a lot more fun to play in your own sandbox (creative liberty) than it is to play in some ones already established sandbox.
#11 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

"More talky?  Soap opera like?"  according to George Lucas; so I paraphrased this but that is the jist of what he said.   How much more can Lucas F up the Star Wars story universe?  Like the last Star Wars movies (yes I know they were prequels blah blah blah) weren't plagued by enough soap opera bad acting?  I can forgive Jar Jar--maybe--but the bad soap opera acting killed it for me.  

I would like to be hopeful but Star Wars jumped the shark a long, long time ago in a galaxy far far away.....sadly.....
#12 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't why they're worried about cannon, from what a lot of people on here have said Clone Wars has already messed up the Mandalorians pretty bad.
#13 Edited by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O said:

""More talky?  Soap opera like?"  according to George Lucas; so I paraphrased this but that is the jist of what he said.   How much more can Lucas F up the Star Wars story universe?  Like the last Star Wars movies (yes I know they were prequels blah blah blah) weren't plagued by enough soap opera bad acting?  I can forgive Jar Jar--maybe--but the bad soap opera acting killed it for me.  I would like to be hopeful but Star Wars jumped the shark a long, long time ago in a galaxy far far away.....sadly..... "

Well...I think it depends greatly on who is writing. Don't forget that above all else, Star Wars is what's classified as a "space opera". That's the Original Trilogy too, mind you. And to be honest, the prequels were basically all fluff in my humble opinion. The talking was just ear-bleeding torture sandwiched between the next overly blue screened CGI fight scenes. So actually I wouldn’t mind more character moments’, providing Lucas isn’t the one writing the dialogues.    

#14 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus:
I agree.  That's what I'm worried about.  How much involvement Lucas will have.  Yes, the Star Wars movies, all of them are indeed "space opera", won't argue it.  It seemed like the prequels were TOO heavy with the soap opera elements plus the bad acting.   

I will TRY to be hopeful, I mean if Boba Fett shows up as a regular character then its guaranteed a lot of Star Wars fanboys (majority of whom are getting too old like me) will stay glued to it.   I should be stoked something Star Wars live-action will be on TV I just have my reservations now after reading what George Lucas had to say.  Let's hope a good writer gets involved. 
#15 Edited by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

Somethings I want to see: Tarkin's rise to Gran Moff, Imperial Academy, IG-88 and other Bounty Hunters, Alderan/Bail Organa, and Starkiller from the Force Unleashed games

#16 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Can we get his fight with the IG-88, and his encounter with Darth Vader and his other various bounty stuff from his Dark Horse comic series?

#17 Edited by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O said:

"@MysterioMaximus: I agree.  That's what I'm worried about.  How much involvement Lucas will have.  Yes, the Star Wars movies, all of them are indeed "space opera", won't argue it.  It seemed like the prequels were TOO heavy with the soap opera elements plus the bad acting.    I will TRY to be hopeful, I mean if Boba Fett shows up as a regular character then its guaranteed a lot of Star Wars fanboys (majority of whom are getting too old like me) will stay glued to it.   I should be stoked something Star Wars live-action will be on TV I just have my reservations now after reading what George Lucas had to say.  Let's hope a good writer gets involved.  "

Oh totally! Those Attack of the Clones love scenes made me mildly suicidal. Hah! Some people say that performances from the Original Trilogy weren’t much better. To me that’s just staggering. How could anyone feel that way? Hamill and Fisher didn’t deserve Oscar nods, but comparatively speaking they look like master thespians up against Christenson and Portman’s SW performances. They’re so bad that really it’s unintentional comedic gold. I can’t help but screw around with my friends, “I don’t like sand, it’s rough and coarse and irritating…and it gets everywhere,” “What…?” “But not like here. Everything here is soft and…smooth”. Then I begin to rub some ones arm. We just die laughing. Who knew teenage Vader was such a creepy emo stalker?

And I pray Lucas doesn’t write this. Being anxious is pretty founded considering almost everything Lucas does these days involves a retcon that messes up something previously awesome. I get your caution entirely!

#18 Posted by NightFang (9904 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder who will play good old Boba Fett?

#19 Posted by Chane (539 posts) - - Show Bio

I just can't bring myself to get excited about another star wars spin off project, even if it is live action.

#20 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang said:
"I wonder who will play good old Boba Fett? "
To be honest, doesn't it matter all that much? Hopefully (IMO) he'll never be unmasked.
#21 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7585 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:

Hell yeah! I want to see IG-88 in action. and definately some Zuckuss!!!!! I'm excited. please dont let me down again, Lucas =/

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.