Bob's Kickstarter campaign

#1 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi, folks!

First of all, I'd like to thank any and all of you who have been backing Bob's Kickstarter campaign. You may not be aware that this campaign is actually a landmark project. It demonstrates a whole new direction for how creativity and technology can merge in bringing you the METHOD of how entertainment will be brought to you from this point on...and how creators will be able to make a living without middlemen robbing them blind.

I recently skyped with Jotham, my longtime head writer on the original pulp thread who has been so busy looking for a job after getting his graduate degree in computer science that he hardly ever pops in on ComicVine anymore. :(

Anyway, I told Jotham about what Bob and I had been doing here in Atlanta and what I wanted to see happen as a result of it all. As I blathered away about HOW things were getting done, he interrupted with a simple question, "Who is Tony?"

(For those of you who don't know, Tony is Tony Dumont, whose user name is "tonis" here on ComicVine.)

My immediate reaction to Jotham's question was to describe Tony by telling him about Tony's last real job...where he led a team of programmers whose mission was creating artificial intelligence that would predict financial trends for a hedge fund.

Well, that was a bad answer…that’s ancient history. Tony isn’t working for a hedge fund anymore. :-)

I’ve known Bob for about thirty years and there has always been someone sorely missing in both Bob’s work and in Bob’s life…a partner. Being a fiercely independent person and for various other different reasons, it just never happened…until now.

I will soon be writing a bio about Tony and creating a “person” page for him here on ComicVine. I will be doing this as soon as Tony receives his first paycheck from Bob…which I guarantee you will be HUGE! :D

But before I dish all the dirt on Tony, I’ll just tell U-All how I discovered him. He had just gotten a “Community Star” award from Inferiorego and I saw his digital models for the first time. I wanted to see more of his work, so I asked someone at work who was far better at surfing the internet than I was to find some more tonis samples. This co-worker found what I was looking for, but said something odd. She said, “Uh, oh…this guy has a girlfriend.” I said, “I don’t give a crap if he has a girlfriend, just show me what you found!”

I looked at page and what it turned out to be was a site that was co-administered by Tony and someone else who had an Asian female name.

I turned to my co-worker and said, “Listen, I don’t go on the internet to find dates. I go on the internet to find TALENT!!! If I was that desperate for sex that I’d go online looking for it, I’d be going to sites like match.com, not COMICVINE!” Sheesh!

Well, I found the talent I was looking for…in SPADES! :D

#2 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Kickstarter is a godsend for the indie comics scene, it makes funding an innovative (non-mainstream) project feasible while also making the fans more than just financially invested with the perks included.

P.S.

You can find good sex on the Vine...if you know where to look (lol)

#3 Posted by Mercy_ (91878 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brazen_Intellect said:

P.S.

LOL

#4 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

P.S.

LOL

Hi, Mercy! LOL!

I know that Raiiyn wrote you a PM when I posted this thread originally with the title misspelled. But it looks like MY mod, The Poet beat you in solving my dilemma. :-)

Anyhow, I just got off Skype with Tony and we were talking about my doing my own Kickstarter! Selling my handmade wooden boxes!!! XD

Grouping of crafts
#5 Posted by Mercy_ (91878 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roxanne Starr said:

I know that Raiiyn wrote you a PM when I posted this thread originally with the title misspelled. But it looks like MY mod, The Poet beat you in solving my dilemma. :-)

Cool.

I'm not sure if your mod told you or not, but we can't change thread titles.

So I'm assuming that he deleted your original and had you repost.

#6 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@Roxanne Starr said:

Cool.

Yep. That's exactly what he told me, Mercy.

And the reason I call him MY mod is because he's the guy who posted my Wikipedia article. :D

#7 Posted by The Poet (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roxanne Starr said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Roxanne Starr said:

Cool.

And the reason I call him MY mod is because he's the guy who posted my Wikipedia article. :D

So I'm Roxanne Starr's Mod? I guess I can live with that :P

#8 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brazen_Intellect:

Do you mean THIS KIND of sex??????????

#9 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet said:

@Roxanne Starr said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Roxanne Starr said:

Cool.

So I'm Roxanne Starr's Mod? I guess I can live with that :P

But I NEED my own personal mod.

Velcro needs a mod too. Any volunteers?

#10 Posted by The Poet (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roxanne Starr: Well, there is one possibility...Babs/Gman could give moderation to The Poet's Perra :D

#11 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet said:

@Roxanne Starr: Well, there is one possibility...Babs/Gman could give moderation to The Poet's Perra :D

Velcro's in there now (well, actually it's Lyko in disguise). :p

#12 Posted by FearTheLiving (4169 posts) - - Show Bio

I love kick starter it's giving a chance to people of all media outlets. Comics, Books, Games, Movies a lot of good ideas that may have just fallen through if not for kickstarter.

#13 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

@FearTheLiving said:

I love kick starter it's giving a chance to people of all media outlets. Comics, Books, Games, Movies a lot of good ideas that may have just fallen through if not for kickstarter.

Actually, I just might do a Kickstarter of my pulp covers as a coffee table book.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/the-pulp-fiction-game/414458/

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/the-pulp-fiction-game-part-2/649269/

I just need to find out how much it will cost me for the rights to all the artwork...which will probably be far more expensive than the printing.

A oversize hardcover with as many pages as I'm thinking about would probably have to sell for $100.

Do you think people would buy it?

#14 Posted by FearTheLiving (4169 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roxanne Starr: I don't know, not something I see myself buying but I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in seeing a bunch of them brought together. Especially how you can just see them and almost get your own sense of a story without reading anything. For sure would be interesting, and hope it all works out. Let me know if you get your kickstarter up and running.

#15 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

@FearTheLiving said:

@Roxanne Starr: I don't know, not something I see myself buying but I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in seeing a bunch of them brought together. Especially how you can just see them and almost get your own sense of a story without reading anything. For sure would be interesting, and hope it all works out. Let me know if you get your kickstarter up and running.

YAAAAAAY!

I just got off Skype with Tony, and forgot to ask him about it, since I was testing links that he had made on Bob's site.

I did talk to him a couple of days ago, however, about starting a business selling my boxes...

"Batbox" (closed) using images from BATMAN: YEAR 100
"Batbox" (open)

...and he said the best chance I had, rather than hand-make individual boxes to order, would be to pick just one design (or just a handful) and have them mass produced...that way they could be sold relatively inexpensively.

#16 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roxanne Starr said:

@Brazen_Intellect:

A gentleman does not kiss and tell...

#17 Edited by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@Roxanne Starr said:

@Brazen_Intellect:

A gentleman does not kiss and tell...

This image is actually a Valentine.

#18 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by M.S. Feather (1506 posts) - - Show Bio

Backed with love. : )

#20 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

@M.S. Feather said:

Backed with love. : )

Thanks a million, Feather! I saw your name on the backers list.

Are you going to be coming to DragonCon on Labor Day weekend? Tonis will be arriving in Atlanta on Wednesday and staying in town for at least a month.

#21 Posted by M.S. Feather (1506 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr: Yeah, I'll be coming down this year.

Will you be working at the comic shop that weekend?
#22 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

@M.S. Feather:

Oooooops! I missed this post, Feather.

I'll be at the comic book store on Friday night and most of Saturday. The rest of the time, I'll be with Bob, Tony and Kevin Eastman at DragonCon.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.