The Blue Marvel

• 95 results
#1 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw this the other day. Dunno what to think about it. I feel like it could be another Sentry but I'm hoping for better than that. Don't know if the race thing makes sense to me either but I'll look at the book. I like Broome's art though, so there's that.

#2 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
His main villian looks like Barda\Orion....
#3 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw this too, looks interesting.

#4 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah looks cool

#5 Edited by Obi Wan Kenobi! (27638 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah i saw this on IGn...sounds like really cool basis for a story...but this really reminds me of The Sentry for some reason...

#6 Posted by Akira Overdrive (10075 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll buy it.

#7 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio
Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
this really reminds me of The Sentry for some reason..."
Don't know about you but I meant that they're both incredibly powerful characters created recently but were supposed to have been around for a long time. That's pretty much it. Just a guess, but I don't think Blue Marvel will be hyped as much as Sentry was so the letdown if he doesn't deliver won't be as severe.
#8 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I LOVE IT.....Marvel's first Black Superhero

I've always loved powerful  "Superman archetype" (capes) characters and they're hard to find now a days, especially in Marvel.  Plus his reason this dudes forgotten is a lot cooler than Sentrys...but I like the Sentry too. Love his costume design and championship belt.

I also love the - "only one man is powerfull enough to defeat him" - storylines

Everyone's gotta read this article:  http://www.wizarduniverse.com/082208bluemarvel.html
#9 Posted by Lunacyde (18470 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow this dude looks sweet!

#10 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

Yessir!

#11 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

Good writing, nice art. Not as horribly over-the-top preachy with the race thing as I might have feared.  

Already better than Sentry.
#12 Posted by The Emerald Knight (243 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to buying it.

#13 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

It was decent, I want to see where they take it though before I decide if I like him or not.

#14 Posted by Alpha (7328 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
"Good writing, nice art. Not as horribly over-the-top preachy with the race thing as I might have feared.  
"

I'm lovng the idea. It's like a what if story. What is Superman was black and set it in the 1960's. It's exactly what would happen it this was true. I'm looking forward to having an extremely powerful African-American character.
#15 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

I need to get this. 

#16 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

This is hands down one of the most anticipated comics for me this year. From the first time i heard about i wanted an now i dont want to put it down. If this doesnt get an ongoing after this i will be extreamly angered

#17 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

come on no one else has read this yet

#18 Posted by Devilly (799 posts) - - Show Bio

Well that guy had Blue Marvel in his mind since he was like 7 a little like i was holding on to Khathala and Devilly since i was 6.
So im interested about this and also a black Superman type superhero when you guys just got a black president .
I mean its like they knew XD

#19 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
"Good writing, nice art. Not as horribly over-the-top preachy with the race thing as I might have feared.  
"
Anything is
#20 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Marvel do something like this in the Spider-man old cartoon? Just that instead of "Blue Marvel" it was "Black Marvel"? A goldden age hero that no one remembered and that was...black?

#21 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio

BLACK PRESIDENT..BLACK POWERFUL SUPERHERO....GOOD WEEK.

#22 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

Was this any good? I did'nt pick it up today....

Was tempted too but was interested in some other stuff

#23 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
TheDrifter said:
"Was this any good? I did'nt pick it up today....

Was tempted too but was interested in some other stuff"
Well it's the first appearance so it was as good as it could have been.
#24 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"TheDrifter said:

Well it's the first appearance so it was as good as it could have been."
Is he a superman type char.? Or more anti-hero-ish?
#25 Posted by lordraiden (7009 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"His main villian looks like Barda\Orion...."

He actually reminds of Prometheus, from JLA #16, I think it was, in Morrisons run!
#26 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
TheDrifter said:
"Vance Astro said:
"TheDrifter said:

Is he a superman type char.? Or more anti-hero-ish?"
He's basically what Sentry wants to be but cant because he's f#ckin crazy.
#27 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

I'll check it out

#28 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
lordraiden said:
"Vance Astro said:

He actually reminds of Prometheus, from JLA #16, I think it was, in Morrisons run!"
Yea..he does kind of look like Prometheus too.
#29 Posted by lordraiden (7009 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"lordraiden said:
"Vance Astro said:

He actually reminds of Prometheus, from JLA #16, I think it was, in Morrisons run!"
Yea..he does kind of look like Prometheus too."

Yeah, especially with that rod, as well! Nothing wrong with that, it's a shame he went by the way side, when he was suppose to be the big anti-Batman type character! Maybe this guy can do better, even though they have nothing to do with each other!
#30 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope he will be part of mainstream events soon.

#31 Posted by Alpha (7328 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"TheDrifter said:
"Vance Astro said:
"TheDrifter said:

Is he a superman type char.? Or more anti-hero-ish?"
He's basically what Sentry wants to be but cant because he's f#ckin crazy."

U r right. Didnt look at it like that.
#32 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

I need to pick this up!

#33 Posted by avengpymhawk (371 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone seams so happy about this character appearing out of no where. Well I'm not! We have Sentry, who is so powerful that he kills all the bad guys. We do not need another powerhouse. We already have Thor, Hulk, Red Hulk, A-Bomb, She-Hulk, Doc Samson, and Sentry.  What we need are some new cool villains, and work with the great heroes that we already have. Come-on remember when Venom, Carnage, or Taskmaster first appeared. You as a reader was awstruck. We need more of that, and less Superman copies. If they want to write Superman types so bad, go work for Dc comics. Give us less copies and more great and creative villains!

#34 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

He's black, so i don't see how is supposed to be a copy, look at the black characters, i mean, Spawn, Blade, Cage,Black Panther,Storm, John Stewart, and Steel. All these characters are great in my opinion, and i don't see why we shouldn't have more, there seriously seems to be some lack of other racial superhero's (Villains in particular, but i think that may be because it would get alot of attention and ending up being called racist or something)

I Approve of him, and yes I'm white.

#35 Posted by avengpymhawk (371 posts) - - Show Bio

You turning this into a race thing. Well it so happens that I am a afro-american, not black....who just happens to live in Kenntucky. So you have no right to throw a raciest comment my way. I have nothing against new superheroes. All I stated was to let us, have more better and new villains. And yes, Blue Marvel is another Superman copy.

#36 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio
avengpymhawk said:
"You turning this into a race thing. Well it so happens that I am a afro-american, not black....who just happens to live in Kenntucky. So you have no right to throw a raciest comment my way. I have nothing against new superheroes. All I stated was to let us, have more better and new villains. And yes, Blue Marvel is another Superman copy."
was not meant against you, i ment the thing with the copies, other racial superheroes are not a much used concept (and if they're alien, their mostly white anyway)

but lets go to the sentry then, how does he have anything in common with blue marvel? and why does he seem like a copy? just because he's strong doesnt mean he's a copy unless you mean that superheroes should be more down to earth and not so "Superheroe'ish" but then that takes the "Super" away and makes them a "Hero"
#37 Posted by avengpymhawk (371 posts) - - Show Bio

If you have way too many super-strong heroes out there, how will they develope as characters.  Marvel has based all their characters on real life drama and overcomming the odds. Well how can this happen when all of their good guys can beat the tar out of the villains with no problem. Some of the great battles of all time were fought with heroes either outsmarting or never giving-up against the evil bad guy. When the Thing fought the Champion in Marvel-Two-in-one, well that was just uplifting. A story like that could not have happened if the thing could have took-out the Champion with just one punch. I would rather have Blue Marvel or Sentry become bad guys, and see the other heroes try to overcome them. I hope you see the point I'm trying to make.

#38 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

Who really beat Doom

#39 Posted by Alpha (7328 posts) - - Show Bio
avengpymhawk said:
"You turning this into a race thing. Well it so happens that I am a afro-american, not black....who just happens to live in Kenntucky. So you have no right to throw a raciest comment my way. I have nothing against new superheroes. All I stated was to let us, have more better and new villains. And yes, Blue Marvel is another Superman copy."

I haven't heard Afro-American in a long time. That term went out in the 70's, replaced by African-American.

I like the idea of a powerful character being black because there are none. I think the most powerfyl black character in Marvel is Storm. The story is great. It is just what would have happened if the story was true. We have these crazy powered villians, but not many heroes. Dc has a black Superman now (Icon), why not Marvel.
#40 Edited by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
avengpymhawk said:
Well as a  BLACK man myself.I wouldn't have taken Voidheart's comment as racist.We need more Black superheroes...Black superheroes who don't have stereotypical powers and who are actually recognized and powerful.It took MAX comics and Brian Micheal Bendis to write for Marvel before anyone gave a sh#t about Luke Cage.Honestly..Black Panther and Storm is really all we've had for a long ass time.Afro-American? You really want to be calling yourself that? I am an American and I love my country..but Afro-American?

avengpymhawk said:
"Everyone seams so happy about this character appearing out of no where. Well I'm not! We have Sentry, who is so powerful that he kills all the bad guys. We do not need another powerhouse. We already have Thor, Hulk, Red Hulk, A-Bomb, She-Hulk, Doc Samson, and Sentry.  What we need are some new cool villains, and work with the great heroes that we already have. Come-on remember when Venom, Carnage, or Taskmaster first appeared. You as a reader was awstruck. We need more of that, and less Superman copies. If they want to write Superman types so bad, go work for Dc comics. Give us less copies and more great and creative villains!"
We have the Sentry? DC has ridiculously overpowered characters all on one team.Why can't Marvel? Sentry and Blue Marvel are nothing alike.They are basically both Superman knock-offs based on what they wear but anyone who wears a cape and tights like that will be considered a Superman knock off,no matter what.No matter what they do differently from him, but they essentially have different stories behind them.Blue Marvel is a black superhero who was forced to stop being a superhero in fear that he would scare white people (the majority of the country).His story deals with a very real race issue.An issue that is rarely talked about in comics.It doesn't matter what type of character Marvel makes because they will always be similar to another in some form or fashion.You say we need cool villains then you ask about Venom,Carnage,and Taskmaster.Venom and Carnage have the stalest storylines ever...it's damn near the same as every Spider-Man villain.Spider-Man ruins their civilian life then they become villains to take him down.Taskmaster is a hero now but I do like him as a villain he's a good character.You talk about Marvel having Superman clones..look at how many DC has...Supergirl,Powergirl,Powerboy,Superboy,Superman Prime,Earth-2 Superman,Cyborg Superman,Captain Marvel,Black Adam,Mary Marvel...all essentially the same.Ridiculously strong same cape and tights set up.I don't see anything wrong with what Marvel is doing with Blue Marvel.
#41 Posted by Alpha (7328 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"
avengpymhawk said:
Well as a  BLACK man myself.I wouldn't have taken Voidheart's comment as racist.We need more Black superheroes...Black superheroes who don't have stereotypical powers and who are actually recognized and powerful.It took MAX comics and Brian Micheal Bendis to write for Marvel before anyone gave a sh#t about Luke Cage.Honestly..Black Panther and Storm is really all we've had for a long ass time.Afro-American? You really want to be calling yourself that? I am an American and I love my country..but Afro-American?

avengpymhawk said:
"Everyone seams so happy about this character appearing out of no where. Well I'm not! We have Sentry, who is so powerful that he kills all the bad guys. We do not need another powerhouse. We already have Thor, Hulk, Red Hulk, A-Bomb, She-Hulk, Doc Samson, and Sentry.  What we need are some new cool villains, and work with the great heroes that we already have. Come-on remember when Venom, Carnage, or Taskmaster first appeared. You as a reader was awstruck. We need more of that, and less Superman copies. If they want to write Superman types so bad, go work for Dc comics. Give us less copies and more great and creative villains!"
We have the Sentry? DC has ridiculously overpowered characters all on one team.Why can't Marvel? Sentry and Blue Marvel are nothing alike.They are basically both Superman knock-offs based on what they wear but anyone who wears a cape and tights like that will be considered a Superman knock off,no matter what.No matter what they do differently from him, but they essentially have different stories behind them.Blue Marvel is a black superhero who was forced to stop being a superhero in fear that he would scare white people (the majority of the country).His story deals with a very real race issue.An issue that is rarely talked about in comics.It doesn't matter what type of character Marvel makes because they will always be similar to another in some form or fashion.You say we need cool villains then you ask about Venom,Carnage,and Taskmaster.Venom and Carnage have the stalest storylines ever...it's damn near the same as every Spider-Man villain.Spider-Man ruins their civilian life then they become villains to take him down.Taskmaster is a hero now but I do like him as a villain he's a good character.You talk about Marvel having Superman clones..look at how many DC has...Supergirl,Powergirl,Powerboy,Superboy,Superman Prime,Earth-2 Superman,Cyborg Superman,Captain Marvel,Black Adam,Mary Marvel...all essentially the same.Ridiculously strong same cape and tights set up.I don't see anything wrong with what Marvel is doing with Blue Marvel.
"
As always, u make great points!
#42 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks Alpha.

#43 Posted by avengpymhawk (371 posts) - - Show Bio

Alpha states, " I haven't heard Afro-American in a long time. That term went out in the 70's, replaced by African-American"
Yes I am that old....well not 70's, but grew-up in the 80's.

Dear Mr. Vance Atro

You are missing my point..I have nothing against more black superheroes. Heck, I wish that there were more stand-out characters in both marvel and DC that could be used as better role model types. The point I've been trying to make all day is this: I wish that there wouldn't be too powerful of characters out there that are just like Superman and Sentry. I want mind-blast or sonic-boom blast stuff. Yes, villains can fall in the same old routine storylines. That is not the characters fault, but the writers. When Venom and Carnage first came out, it was great and new. I just wish more creative villains would be made than superheroes.

#44 Posted by Alpha (7328 posts) - - Show Bio
avengpymhawk said:
"

Alpha states, " I haven't heard Afro-American in a long time. That term went out in the 70's, replaced by African-American"

Dear Mr. Vance Atro

You are missing my point..I have nothing against more black superheroes. Heck, I wish that there were more stand-out characters in both marvel and DC that could be used as better role model types. The point I've been trying to make all day is this: I wish that there wouldn't be too powerful of characters out there that are just like Superman and Sentry. I want mind-blast or sonic-boom blast stuff. Yes, villains can fall in the same old routine storylines. That is not the characters fault, but the writers. When Venom and Carnage first came out, it was great and new. I just wish more creative villains would be made than superheroes.

"

I grew up in the 70's.

I don't feel old. : )
#45 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
avengpymhawk said:
"

Dear Mr. Vance Atro

"
Well I don't call myself anything American..I'm Black,that identifies people of my color as a whole and not just Americans.
Anyway.I'm not missing the point.Your point is we have too many powerhouses,too many superman clones,and not enough villians.I got it.I never said you had anything against Black superheroes..I was only saying we need more and there is nothing wrong with Blue Marvel.I'm tired of the same lame ass stereotypical Black superheroes,being in gangs and having anger issues.Black Panther and Storm are the only ones we ever had that were actually worth something for a long time.The Superman types are never going to go anywhere.I like Sentry and I like Superman (now) they are good characters.They aren't too powerful either because they have both been beaten..Superman was even killed once.If your looking for role models...what about Captain America? Thor? Justice? Spider-Man? I mean I wouldn't be looking for role models in comics but there are some pretty stand-up guys among superheroes.Every comic company under-develops villains...so why your looking for new interesting ones is beyond me.Maybe you will get your wish in Dark Reign.
#46 Posted by Alpha (7328 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"avengpymhawk said:
"

Dear Mr. Vance Atro

"
Well I don't call myself anything American..I'm Black,that identifies people of my color as a whole and not just Americans.
Anyway.I'm not missing the point.Your point is we have too many powerhouses,too many superman clones,and not enough villians.I got it.I never said you had anything against Black superheroes..I was only saying we need more and there is nothing wrong with Blue Marvel.I'm tired of the same lame ass stereotypical Black superheroes,being in gangs and having anger issues.Black Panther and Storm are the only ones we ever had that were actually worth something for a long time.The Superman types are never going to go anywhere.I like Sentry and I like Superman (now) they are good characters.They aren't too powerful either because they have both been beaten..Superman was even killed once.If your looking for role models...what about Captain America? Thor? Justice? Spider-Man? I mean I wouldn't be looking for role models in comics but there are some pretty stand-up guys among superheroes.Every comic company under-develops villains...so why your looking for new interesting ones is beyond me.Maybe you will get your wish in Dark Reign.
"
Not to make a big deal Vance, but I kinda prefer African-American. Black is a color defined by my skin and I feel much more than the color of my skin. I acknowlege my ancestry (everyone should) but at the same time i give homage to my country.

Just my opinion. And I respect your.
#47 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
Alpha said:
"Vance Astro said:
"avengpymhawk said:
"

Dear Mr. Vance Atro

"
"
Not to make a big deal Vance, but I kinda prefer African-American. Black is a color defined by my skin and I feel much more than the color of my skin. I acknowlege my ancestry (everyone should) but at the same time i give homage to my country.

Just my opinion. And I respect your."
I understand..there are alot of reasons I would rather be called Black.I just through it out there.
#48 Posted by avengpymhawk (371 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro states, "I'm tired of the same lame ass stereotypical Black superheroes,being in gangs and having anger issues."
Boy, I am too!
As for a powerful character, I still say no. I would rather see the New Black Goliath take on the Wrecking Crew and win by sheer wit and inteligence, than simply smacking down the bad guy with ease. I hope Dark Reign is good. I loved Secret Invasion at first, then the characters just weren't in character.

#49 Posted by Alpha (7328 posts) - - Show Bio
avengpymhawk said:
"Vance Astro states, "I'm tired of the same lame ass stereotypical Black superheroes,being in gangs and having anger issues."
Boy, I am too!
As for a powerful character, I still say no. I would rather see the New Black Goliath take on the Wrecking Crew and win by sheer wit and inteligence, than simply smacking down the bad guy with ease. I hope Dark Reign is good. I loved Secret Invasion at first, then the characters just weren't in character."

No reason that there can't be both.
#50 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
avengpymhawk said:
"Vance Astro states, "I'm tired of the same lame ass stereotypical Black superheroes,being in gangs and having anger issues."
Boy, I am too!
As for a powerful character, I still say no. I would rather see the New Black Goliath take on the Wrecking Crew and win by sheer wit and inteligence, than simply smacking down the bad guy with ease. I hope Dark Reign is good. I loved Secret Invasion at first, then the characters just weren't in character."
Black Goliath sucked...worst Avenger ever.We already had Yellowjacket,Ant-Man,& Stature.Only difference is..they are all good characters and he wasn't.I'm surprised anyone even went to his funeral.That's why Marvel killed him.He was boring.The Wrecking Crew sucks too.They are all essentially the same guy..a bunch of big goofy as dudes with no fighting skill throwing their weight around.
Blue Marvel didn't smack anyone down with easy..that's how they found out he was black.The guy he was fighting was kickin his ass.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.