Follow

Blue Marvel

Character » Blue Marvel appears in 219 issues.

When Adam discovered his super-powers, he fashioned a secret identity with which to protect his country, and became Blue Marvel. He served as a hero for years, and was one of the most popular heroes of his time. Adam was pressured by the government to retire, because of how much power he had and for being black. He was forced out of retirement to face his greatest foe and former best friend, Anti-Man.

Blue Marvel: Too powerful or awesome character?

micahparadise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Quick question viners: do you think Blue Marvel is too over powered or has the potential to be an amazing character?

He seems to be as strong as sentry, smart as reed richards and have an energy output like an atomic bomb! Thats alot going on.

BUT reading his origin story, his connection to american history, friendship with the watcher, relationship with other marvel characters and seeing his interaction with fellow members of the mighty avengers, i think if a great writer gets their hands on him he would be an awesome character for another mini series for marvel.

i would do away with his costume though. I hate his costume (except when he wore the mask) and i think as an older man now he wouldnt be interested in wearing a costume.

What are your thoughts?

micahparadise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By micahparadise

any thoughts?

Avatar image for cozy_da_djed_eye
    Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His costume better than most other Superman clones. Even better than Supes. He already an amazing character, too, considering what he done in his short run.

myerlanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By myerlanski

Blue Marvel is right where he needs the be...which is an awesome character with some exciting and extremely powerful abilities with unlimited untapped potential...he should truly be beyond top tier if they use him right...i hope they do...

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's an awesome character with a unique spin on his abilities and solid decent backstory. I honestly don't get why people call him a Superman clone though. So every character with Super Strength, Flight and Invulnerability is a Superman clone? Besides a few powers they have NOTHING in common. I think if people actually read the few issues he's in they could tell he's his own unique character.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blue Marvel is right where he needs the be...which is an awesome character with some exciting and extremely powerful abilities with unlimited untapped potential...he should truly be beyond top tier if they use him right...i hope they do...

I highly doubt he'll get used correctly smh

myerlanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie: well the writer for the new ultimates coming shortly promise to really push BM...lets up hope he keeps his word...

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie: well the writer for the new ultimates coming shortly promise to really push BM...lets up hope he keeps his word...

I hope so. He's already a good character he just needs that push and a good writer. I just hope they don't end up getting out of hand with him like they did with Sentry.

myerlanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By myerlanski

I don't mind them pushing him up to those levels if he is pushed that hard...I mean there always needs to be someone who can check or get checked by those level type characters...i think BM would be a fine example...i just hope they don't sacrifice the story and the character's humanity(the connection to the reader) with that type of push...

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By uugieboogie

I don't mind them pushing him up to those levels if he is pushed that hard...I mean there always needs to be someone who can check or get checked by those level type characters...i think BM would be a fine example...i just hope they don't sacrifice the story and the character's humanity(the connection to the reader) with that type of push...

And that's exactly what I mean but if you boost a character too high it takes away from the story which is where they are with sentry now. You can't really write a good story with someone that powerful its not really much that can be done to him. BM does have the potential to be that powerful I don't think it would be good putting him on Sentry levels. He literally can't die and people here are saying he's a multiversal reality warper. That's too much imo

myerlanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By myerlanski

@uugieboogie: it is a pickle...but higher level beings tend to have inner issues that are relatable, but i understand your concern...

My position is i don't mind witnessing a being transcend into a higher level...most characters do at some point...specifically top tier characters such as Superman, Wonder Woman, Franklin Richards, Sentry, etc...the future holds that these beings become alot more than what they started off as, bigger roles they will play in the multiverse ...abstracts, gods, etc...at one time Galactus was a little more than a man/being who survived the first universe...saved by the Phoenix if im not mistaken and when he awakened he was Galactus...Its kind of cool to actually witness growth this way...and for me BM is a perfect specimen to ascend to these levels...I like his ideals, ethics, and beliefs and the part that would be so great is if they can show how he continues to try to hold on to his humanity as he grows as being that is a part of the cycle of the universe...Galactus consumes planets...some without life...others with life...I wonder what inner turmoil...if any that Galactus felt as he realized that his purpose has changed and that his ideals that he once possessed has changed as well because of his new role...wow deep...

Still...i do agree making one too OP too fast becomes frustrating...and i guess with BM i would like to see his power output, manipulaton, and absorption get greater...not necessarily his ability to not be killed...or to have no fear of being beaten unless he wills it to be type of gig...leave that to my main man Sentry i guess....

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@myerlanski: Yeah I understand that. I liked Blue Marvel's inner issues and they displayed it well with the whole US Government not wanting an African America running around with that kind of power. He really gave up what he loved doing for almost 60 years.

I honestly want to see him take rise to maybe herald level character which is honestly where he belongs I mean with his powers he shouldn't even be on a street level team. They just need him to do more and display more. To me when a character gets to the point where he can affect the multiverse its not too much for you can do for him. Who's he going to fight after that? Which is why I'm okay with the occasional amps i.e. Rune King Thor, WWH, WBH, Savior Cable etc. I love the cosmic side of comics like the herald type characters I just hope they don't just make him OP in like 3 issues and keep him there. What you said about Galactus is cool and I like that but you won't see Galactus with a decent solo series nor Odin or people above those levels.

myerlanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

scbetton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's awesome, I like what Ewing was doing with him too. The struggles he has with his family for doing the right thing, dealing with loss due to his wife dying and his son trapped in another dimension. One way to make him better is to have more characters that challenge him not only in power but personally too like anti-man. How would he deal with racism today better then he dealt with it back then? How much more involved with the world can he be as the blue marvel? Will he ever find love again? Will he lose his powers? Maybe that's too soon. There's a lot that can happen with him if marvel uses him right. That's why I want Kevin grevioux back to write him some more, expand his rogues gallery, etc. would be great.

nikko72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think its a shame that he's stuck in the Ultimates comics. I don't like his re designed costume. The costume he had in Luke Cages Avengers was perfect and destined to be iconic. He needs to be transferred to the other Avengers and be a heavy hitter replacement for Thor or Wonderman. I agree for a character who was created so quick and easy, he a cool character. I hope Marvel knows what they have and use this character properly.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

I think he is awesome.

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Too powerful"??? No one points to the Hulk,(admittedly green), Thor or Hercules as being too powerful and might wish to overthrow the US Government???

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is one of my favourite characters, and I usually don't like overpowered one [I really hate Sentry] or "I'm an arrogant genius" one [I don't like reed richards].

He is better of both, with an interesting story, strong emotional tie with others characters, great mistery and greater potential.

The only think he need is a good writer now! :)

Avatar image for deactivated-60e7a5c633643
    deactivated-60e7a5c633643

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's probably far more powerful than he's been shown. But even still "not powerful enough" is my view, especially given all of the heroes who writers have indicated are more powerful than Adam Brashear. That needs to change.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.