Blue Marvel Film

#1 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

Could a film based off Blue Marvel work? I understand he is the black superman in the comics. With the right cast and crew could the film be a success?
#2 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Smiths said:
Could a film based off Blue Marvel work? I understand he is the black superman in the comics. With the right cast and crew could the film be a success?
he;s the black superman in marvel not comics as a whole
#3 Posted by JediXMan (27929 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@Mr. Smiths said:
Icon was first, wasn't he? And wasn't Steel a fill in for Superman while he was dead?
#4 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11727 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@Mr. Smiths said:
Icon was first, wasn't he? And wasn't Steel a fill in for Superman while he was dead?
yup yup
#5 Posted by JediXMan (27929 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@JediXMan said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@Mr. Smiths said:
yup yup
Plus there's Jason (Firestorm II), who is arguably the most powerful hero on Earth. Ronnie (Firestorm I)... not so much. I prefer Jason, personally. He can actually transmute organics.
#6 Edited by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio

Any comic related movie could be successful with the right cast and crew.Marvel would have to do it's job on the comics end though and promote Blue Marvel more and I don't think they are willing to do that.He is black after all.

#7 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11727 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@JediXMan said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@Mr. Smiths said:
yup yup
Plus there's Jason (Firestorm II), who is arguably the most powerful hero on Earth. Ronnie (Firestorm I)... not so much. I prefer Jason, personally. He can actually transmute organics.
that has absolutely nothing to do with black superman counterparts.........
#8 Posted by JediXMan (27929 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@JediXMan said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@JediXMan said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@Mr. Smiths said:
yup yup
Powerful black superheroes. Jason is black, and he is powerful. What, they have to have the same powerset as Superman? Jason is stronger than Superman is.
#9 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
 What, they have to have the same powerset as Superman? 
Yes. 

@JediXMan said:
 Jason is stronger than Superman is.
What? Since when?
#10 Posted by JediXMan (27929 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
@JediXMan said:
Yes. 

@JediXMan said:
What? Since when?
1. Alright. Me personally, I think Superman's power set is unoriginal at this point, but...

2. Well, that's my opinion, anyway. If he wanted to, couldn't he kill Superman? Not that he would. But Jason has a lot of untapped potential.
#11 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah cause black superheroes can't hold their on movies besides blade and aren't taken seriously enough to be a great franchise. they have to appeal everyone for general audiences to like them i don't think black panther, luke cage, spawn will translate well to the big screen. 
here's my reason why 
black panther- nobody cares about africa or whatever the hell is going on over there 
luke cage- a hood character stereotypejust because he's black and gain his powers from jail that doesn't have that much depth to him  besides being a badass ex-con 
Spawn- demonic character turns against hell to see his wife one last time won't sell because demon movies suck don't believe me go watch legion. nay turn around if ghost rider 2 does well, but that's a big maybe. 

#12 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11727 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@JediXMan said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@JediXMan said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@Mr. Smiths said:
yup yup
Powerful black superheroes. Jason is black, and he is powerful. What, they have to have the same powerset as Superman? Jason is stronger than Superman is.
the topic being discussed was black superman counterparts not powerful black heroes.....im not saying your wrong or cant talk about others. just that its weird to jump into a topic about superman counterparts with something unrelated to the subject
#13 Posted by JediXMan (27929 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mega_spidey01 said:
i don't think black panther, luke cage, spawn will translate well to the big screen. h
There was a Spawn movie in the 90s. If done today with better CGI, I think it could be good.
#14 Posted by JediXMan (27929 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@JediXMan said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@JediXMan said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@JediXMan said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@Mr. Smiths said:
yup yup
the topic being discussed was black superman counterparts not powerful black heroes.....im not saying your wrong or cant talk about others. just that its weird to jump into a topic about superman counterparts with something unrelated to the subject
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought it was more about strong black superheroes who could be in a movie. Or black superhero with comparable strength as Superman, but not necessarily the same exact powerset.
#15 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
1. Alright. Me personally, I think Superman's power set is unoriginal at this point, but...  2. Well, that's my opinion, anyway. If he wanted to, couldn't he kill Superman? Not that he would. But Jason has a lot of untapped potential.
Are we talking about POWER or PHYSICAL STRENGTH because I'm almost positive that Jason isn't physically as strong as Superman.
#16 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11727 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@JediXMan said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@JediXMan said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@JediXMan said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@Mr. Smiths said:
yup yup
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought it was more about strong black superheroes who could be in a movie. Or black superhero with comparable strength as Superman, but not necessarily the same exact powerset.
no problem : D  

Jason IS pretty cool though
#17 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mega_spidey01 said:
yeah cause black superheroes can't hold their on movies besides blade and aren't taken seriously enough to be a great franchise. they have to appeal everyone for general audiences to like them i don't think black panther, luke cage, spawn will translate well to the big screen. here's my reason why black panther- nobody cares about africa or whatever the hell is going on over there luke cage- a hood character stereotypejust because he's black and gain his powers from jail that doesn't have that much depth to him  besides being a badass ex-con Spawn- demonic character turns against hell to see his wife one last time won't sell because demon movies suck don't believe me go watch legion. nay turn around if ghost rider 2 does well, but that's a big maybe. 
Luke Cage is technically a super soldier.He didn't get his powers FROM jail.His powers were his ticket out.
#18 Posted by JediXMan (27929 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
@JediXMan said:
1. Alright. Me personally, I think Superman's power set is unoriginal at this point, but...  2. Well, that's my opinion, anyway. If he wanted to, couldn't he kill Superman? Not that he would. But Jason has a lot of untapped potential.
Are we talking about POWER or PHYSICAL STRENGTH because I'm almost positive that Jason isn't physically as strong as Superman.
I am using strength as a blanket term for overall power. Sorry; my mind is in multiple directions right now.
#19 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
I am using strength as a blanket term for overall power. Sorry; my mind is in multiple directions right now.
Oh ok.Yea, Jason may be more powerful than Superman.I'm not really sure.
#20 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
@Vance Astro said:
@JediXMan said:
Yes. 

@JediXMan said:
What? Since when?
How can Superman's power set be unoriginal when he in fact was the original character to have that power set, maybe the countless rip offs could be considered unoriginal though
#21 Posted by JediXMan (27929 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
@JediXMan said:
@Vance Astro said:
@JediXMan said:
Yes. 

@JediXMan said:
What? Since when?
How can Superman's power set be unoriginal when he in fact was the original character to have that power set, maybe the countless rip offs could be considered unoriginal though
He isn't. The ripoffs are. After the first two or three, it gets rather monotonous.
#22 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
He isn't. The ripoffs are. After the first two or three, it gets rather monotonous.
No such thing as a rip-off in comics.
#23 Posted by JediXMan (27929 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
@JediXMan said:
I suppose, after awhile, all characters are ripoffs of others; it's just that some are more blatant about it than others.
#24 Posted by ssejllenrad (12780 posts) - - Show Bio

Shaq for Blue Marvel!!!! Who's with me? :D

#25 Edited by ssejllenrad (12780 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:

@JediXMan said:

Really?!? Here's an example. Change one "B" to "M" and you pretty much know who this guy's ripping off...
#26 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: really? I could name 12 image characters from the 90s to prove you wrong on the whole no rip offs thing
#27 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

Why can't black superhero films succeed? If the right people are behind if then the film can be successful. Its just that not alot of black superhero films outside Blade has been successful.
#28 Posted by King Saturn (222808 posts) - - Show Bio
Well Hancock made over $ 624,000,000 at the Box Office and that film was about a Black Superhero.  
Sort Of
#29 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
Well Hancock made over $ 624,000,000 at the Box Office and that film was about a Black Superhero.  
Sort Of
Yeah, a black super hero who was homeless with an alcohol problem.
#30 Posted by King Saturn (222808 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428 said:
@King Saturn said:
Sort Of
well he still helped people... and it's not like Hancock was the only Superhero who had Personal Problems.
#31 Posted by Dernman (13992 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
@Osiris1428 said:
@King Saturn said:
Sort Of
well he still helped people... and it's not like Hancock was the only Superhero who had Personal Problems.
Tony Stark was a homeless alchy.     Besides he got his act together in the end.
#32 Posted by CATPANEXE (9366 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the story and concept would translate to film rather smoothly.

#33 Edited by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

@Vance Astro: really? I could name 12 image characters from the 90s to prove you wrong on the whole no rip offs thing

Most characters that exist draw inspiration from somewhere.It's nearly impossible to do something completely original in an artistic medium."Rip-off" suggests something malicious when most similar characters are just homages to others.Even characters like Superman,Batman,& Wonder Woman whom frequently get "ripped off" have characteristics inspired from other stories and characters that existed before. 
#34 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i agree with vance astro's statement about superheroes in general bring ripoffs. but black superheroes are a hard bargain to sell cause america don't know who they are and aren't ready for diversity in superhero films 
i made a list of all the bad superhero movies & good ones 
meteor man- superman like character genre comedy 
blankman- tech gadget guy genre comedy  
steel- tech guy genre- comedy 
Spawn-supernatural/horror 

good ones 
blade- vampire hunter horror 
 that its???? ..... 

#35 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mega_spidey01 said:
i agree with vance astro's statement about superheroes in general bring ripoffs. but black superheroes are a hard bargain to sell cause america don't know who they are and aren't ready for diversity in superhero films i made a list of all the bad superhero movies & good ones meteor man- superman like character genre comedy blankman- tech gadget guy genre comedy  steel- tech guy genre- comedy Spawn-supernatural/horror  good ones blade- vampire hunter horror  that its???? ..... 
I don't think anyone needs to know who Blue Marvel is to sell him movie wise.I'm sure there were plenty of people who didn't know Blade was a Marvel character when that movie came out.They were probably just going to see something they thought looked interesting.
#36 Posted by CATPANEXE (9366 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mega_spidey01 said:
but black superheroes are a hard bargain to sell cause america don't know who they are and aren't ready for diversity in superhero films i made a list of all the bad superhero movies & good ones meteor man- superman like character genre comedy blankman- tech gadget guy genre comedy  steel- tech guy genre- comedy Spawn-supernatural/horror  good ones blade- vampire hunter horror  that its???? ..... 
Not trying to pick on you at all, so please don't take it as that, but this information is pretty incorrect. Meteor Man and Blankman aren't actually superhero genre movies anymore than Superhero Movie and Epic Movie, ect, are, they're parodies poking fun at the superhero genre. In other words they weren't taking themselves seriously hence they weren't taken seriously. Steel actually wasn't a comedy (I know, it's hard to tell), and just a franchise spin-off movie that wasn't done very well, much like Supergirl and therefore didn't receive accolades, less so than an issue of the main characters race. Spawn, despite maybe your and others view of it, was actually a huge success and equated as the " Jaws " of it's time. Blade dug Marvel itself out of bankruptcy so it speaks for itself. Hancock mentioned already also did more than well. Catwoman however sunk pretty low, then again one could attribute it to the bad production value, especially given how well Earth Kitt went over with audiences and still does. Likewise off the top of my head Nick Fury, Storm, and the Kingpin where all African-American characters who got a fair shake in film and then some, and despite any grammatical issues that could be found there, enjoyed high success and where enjoyed by the film going audiences in general including the portion that doesn't read comic books.

----
Personally, I don't see two things being discussed in this thread:
1. That either Marvel or the film industry are apparently run by some race hating faction, like the KKK for instance, and/or that the movie viewing audience at large, which is almost always worldwide is either predominantly white consisting of persons uncomfortable in any sense by other races, or at least perceived as such by the movie
houses. This notion doesn't add up to me really, nor do I believe it's still the 1940's, so I'm somewhat dismissive in that " fact " when I say I think this would translate well. 
I'm just not buying that the majority of worldwide movie goers are sitting around saying to themselves " Oh, there's a black person in that film, that's going to stink then " here in 2011. Though I'm not counting out those who actually do, trust me I hear their small minded opinions enough, but I don't consider them in a majority nor any kind of a critical factor in a films projected sales, and if anything quite the opposite is true.
2. That any characters that came before the Blue Marvel in film who were black have any bearing on determining how well a Blue Marvel film itself could be done and how well it would be received by the audiences. I say this because the Blue Marvels story is unlike any of the cases that could be presented. Blue Marvels story is that he is a powerful, genius level superhero with a strong case of moral fiber who saved the entire world twice over from a threat no other force on Earth could handle, and did so willingly and against the fact that his military superiors in fact shafted him due to the same perception mentioned above, which is that the color of his skin would make him ill received by the US public, and that it wouldn't be acceptable to have a black hero. Yet, despite this clear crime against his person, Blue Marvel proves them wrong by doing the right thing and showing that a person isn't the color of their skin, they are who they are as they make themselves. The story itself is riveting and is also the reason why I think it would translate to a well received film, and a serious one against other movies which didn't have a strong case made to back the story to begin with. 
Personally I would love to see a Blue Marvel film, as the story it sprang from was excellent, and even more receivable in its honesty. 

Albeit though my opinion, and I'm open to the notion that I may be living in my own dreamland. It's surely been suggested at times, imo.
#37 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATPANEXE: VERY good points there!! But, there is something though: Danny Glover says that he is coming out with a movie about the Haiti slave rebellion against the French, and the reason why he can't get any financial backing for the movie he claims is because he has been told that :"There aren't any white protagonists". 

Maybe that's why 'The Help' was a big success. Hancock had a white guy who helped clean him up and did PR for him. I dunno...
#38 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428 said:

@CATPANEXE: VERY good points there!! But, there is something though: Danny Glover says that he is coming out with a movie about the Haiti slave rebellion against the French, and the reason why he can't get any financial backing for the movie he claims is because he has been told that :"There aren't any white protagonists".  Maybe that's why 'The Help' was a big success. Hancock had a white guy who helped clean him up and did PR for him. I dunno...

Thats messed up man if its true. But it prolly is true, I do not think a man like Danny Glover would make that up. Its a shame you gotta have white actors in a film just to sell it to the general audience man. I'm serious its like come on man this is the 21st century like what difference do it make if a black, chinease, mexcian dude is playing the main character aslong as they can act man.
#39 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

To the person who said Kingpin was black. Only in the movie but comic book he is white. And alot of people was complaining about MCD playing Kingpin cause he was black.
#40 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATPANEXE your right about  the points you made i dunno its just thay some superheroes are really risky to create a good story without the story becoming dry or dull.  i'll say this much blue marvel does have a cool powerset. anti-matter would be interesting to see on film. wouldn't have ant-matter powers slow down blue marvel aging process? and how old is he exactly?
#41 Posted by Paracelsus (1303 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm-I think it's likely that anti-matter powers slow down (if not halt entirely) the aging process(Wonder Man's ionic powers do the same for him apparently). If he was a US Marine veteran of the Korean War( and not until 1942 did the USMC drop its ban on black enlistment-the Corps British counterparts the Royal Marines did not follow suit until 1968 BTW), then it's fair to assume that his birthday was 1925- give or take a few years either way, making him 85/86 as of this year.

Terry

#42 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

the problem with blue marvel is what would he do and how would that matter in the marvel universe? what the tone of the character ? who are his friends and who are his enemies ? why does  he believe the world  can be a good place? should he be on the defenders?  

#43 Posted by War Killer (19484 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, it could and I would go see it. Blue Marvel is a great character and truly underrated/overlooked superhero that I believe with the right writer could become as big as Captain America, Spider-Man, and Iron Man in the Marvel Universe!

#44 Edited by Paracelsus (1303 posts) - - Show Bio

Who should play Blue Marvel- I personally think my favourite(and namesake) Denzel is too long in the tooth for the title role, but how about an up and comer such as Taye Diggs or maybe Will Smith( that is, if Will isn't too busy playing Obama in a Presidential biopic!).

Terry

BTW If Adam Brashear was old enough to fight in the Korean War( and bear in mind the US Marines only began to accept black recruits in 1942), shouldn't he be logically well into his eighties by now- my guess is that the anti-matter radiation which gave him his powers left him functionally immortal(or at least extraordinarily slow to age physically) much like Wonder Man's ionic energy but did not impair his ability to sire offspring( according to his bio he and his late wife had two children).

#45 Posted by Rell127 (291 posts) - - Show Bio

It could work. You would just need it to be done right. I say get someone that looks like Derk Luke. I think as a character showing you how he done everything and he saved his country and planet and he still doesn't get accepted would be interesting to see.

#46 Posted by TheForgotten1 (40 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE: i totally agree, and i do believe making a film for blue marvel would be great, his story in my opinion would hold and work very well

#47 Posted by TheForgotten1 (40 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: that sounds kinda messed up dude :/ because hes black?

#48 Edited by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheForgotten1 said:

@Vance Astro: that sounds kinda messed up dude :/ because hes black?

What? 

EDIT: Nvm, I get it. Yea, because he's black. It's sounds messed up but it's reality.
#49 Posted by Shn275 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry for bumping an old topic, but I really wanted to reply.

A Blue Marvel film would be very exceptional with the right people behind it. It could be a period piece with a superhero twist. You know show the time period along with his story. Show the racial element; show the political element; show the wars, you know bring that time period to the forefront but not so much as to overshadow the main storyline. As for actors I noticed someone mentioned Denzel Washington, Derek Luke, Will Smith, and Taye Diggs who are all nice candidates (except Denzel, he doesn't seem the type), but character-wise they don't fit. Personally, I would pick his creator Kevin Grevioux. He's a well-established actor and writer plus he meets the physical characteristics of the character. He is more or less Adam Brashear (Blue Marvel).

What do you think?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.