would you recommend blue beetle?

#1 Posted by NewKid (360 posts) - - Show Bio

I just dropped teen titans, superboy and detective comics from my pull list - i was really losing interest in all these titles.

looking to replace them with one or maybe 2 others (not another 3, for money reasons!)

i've been hearing real good things about blue beetle, so that's tempting - can anyone recommend it? what's good about it?

also, any other recommendations would be appreciated.

i haven't tried out batman inc, or earth 2 yet so they're also appealing to me.

(i also am currently reading - JLA, batman, b&r, action comics, wonder woman, aquaman, flash, animal man, swamp thing, batgirl, batwing, batwoman, nightwing)

#2 Posted by NewKid (360 posts) - - Show Bio

another title i'm curious about is justice league dark...

#3 Posted by Rixec (371 posts) - - Show Bio

I HIGHLY recommend Blue Beetle. It is an awesome comic that gives the vibe of a Saturday morning cartoon, especially when it comes to the art; their expressions are so life like and emotional. Next month is even the new Blue & Gold in the New 52! Other recommended reading would be Green Lantern: New Guardians #9 & #10, giving a decent look at the Reach, alien race that created the Blue Beetle scarab.

#4 Posted by RoboShark (1271 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, and I have never read any Beetle previously. I jumped on at #7 and the quality hasn't dipped any since.

To anyone who's read #'s 1-6, are they worth checkin out? I heard they weren't so great.

#5 Posted by NewKid (360 posts) - - Show Bio

i read a few previews and it seems pretty good - might pick up the trade of the first arc when it's out.

wanting to jump onto JLD now lemire's taken over writing... has anyone read the first arc? how was that? does it need to be read to follow what's happening since lemire took over?

#6 Posted by Izaiah (5199 posts) - - Show Bio

I found Blue Beetle vol. 7 to be rather brilliant, whereas vol. 8 (the current one) is somewhat lacking in comparison.

#7 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@NewKid: You didnt miss much with the first arc of JLD. Milligan spent most the time putting the team together and then there was a two issue crossover with I, Vampire. It is not required reading. I would suggest starting with Lemire's first issue.

#8 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Izaiah said:

I found Blue Beetle vol. 7 to be rather brilliant, whereas vol. 8 (the current one) is somewhat lacking in comparison.

^^

#9 Posted by NewKid (360 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth: ah ok, thanks for the info - maybe i'll pick up the trade of the first if i see it for a good price when it's out, might give it a shot.

think i'll replace the 3 i dropped with blue beetle and JLD then... :)

#10 Posted by sagejonathan (1956 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! We have a recruit!

#11 Posted by NewKid (360 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan: yeah man :D

i love what i've read so far, i preordered the first trade too :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.