Follow

Blue Beetle (Reyes)

Character » Blue Beetle (Reyes) appears in 672 issues.

Jaime Reyes was just a regular high school student from El Paso, Texas, until he found the Scarab after Ted Kord lost it. With the Scarab, he has great power and uses that power to protect the innocent as the the third, and current Blue Beetle.

Tony Bedard talks Blue Beetle

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

Edited By JonesDeini
    Well said, Jaime, well said. 
    Well said, Jaime, well said. 

Looking forward to this title but don't quite know if I'm 100% sold on buying it yet. anyways enjoy the interview
    Blurred View

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 353

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Blurred View

This is one of the relaunch titles I'm definitely down for. I like Blue Beetle, and DC giving him another shot at a title is one of the few things they're doing that actually supports their "modern and diverse" goal they claim they're doing all this for. 

I think Bedard's exaggerating how complex Blue Beetle's origin is, though. It seems pretty simple to me. Jaime found the scarab by dumb luck, and it bonded to him. That's it. Yeah, then he got pulled into Infinite Crisis. But you don't honestly need to mention anything about Infinite Crisis when explaining his origin. Or that he ended up disappearing for a year. So I hope Bedard doesn't do anything drastic to fix something that's not really a problem.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Blurred View said:
    This is one of the relaunch titles I'm definitely down for. I like Blue Beetle, and DC giving him another shot at a title is one of the few things they're doing that actually supports their "modern and diverse" goal they claim they're doing all this for.  I think Bedard's exaggerating how complex Blue Beetle's origin is, though. It seems pretty simple to me. Jaime found the scarab by dumb luck, and it bonded to him. That's it. Yeah, then he got pulled into Infinite Crisis. But you don't honestly need to mention anything about Infinite Crisis when explaining his origin. Or that he ended up disappearing for a year. So I hope Bedard doesn't do anything drastic to fix something that's not really a problem.
    Bingo. My only concern with picking up titles in September is my already expansive Marvel/Image/Vertigo consumption. As it stands I'm definitely getting Batman, Animal Man, JLD, Swamp Thing, and Stormwatch. Lemire's Frankenstein looks better and better as time goes on. Books I'm considering are Beetle and Rozum's Static book (not really a fan of Scott McDaniel's art), Nightwing (Need my Grayson fix and Higgins is doing his thing on Gates of Gotham), Batman and Robin (Can't deny how dope the 3 issues Tomasi and Gleason did this year were but do I really need another Batman book? And I'm in no way a fan of Damian),& Finally Milligan's Red Lanterns (I like Atrocitus...I like Milligan, the rest of the lantern books have about 0 appeal to me). Right now I'm reading the Mystery Men mini at marvel. And I'm also starting Hickman's 4 issue Red Wing. In August I'll be starting Snyder's Severed mini at Image as well. And in October I'm definitely all over Robinson's shade. Considering I'll no longer be reading Gates of Gotham, Secret Six, Secret Warriors, Red Robin, Xombi (dammit!!!), Detective Comics, Mystery Men,& possibly Haunt  that should free up a bit of money. But outside of those five must reads, I'm likely going to wait to see how reviews of the first 3 issues goes. 
    Blurred View

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Blurred View
    @JonesDeini: I'm probably going to go nuts in September. Read just about everything and review as much as I can. Then I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of #2s in October I won't be bothering with. Of course, there's also whatever DC is going to start in October. So September is going to be one of the very rare months where I read more DC than Marvel. I doubt October will be. 

I know Blue Beetle is one I'll stick with for awhile. I like the character and think Bedard can be a good writer. That's pretty much the same reason I'll probably stick with Green Lantern: New Guardians. I like Kyle Rayner. Besides that, I'm really not sure beyond the same things I already read. I read Snyder on a Batman book now, so I'll read Snyder on a Batman book then. Aquaman was the only thing worth reading about in Brightest Day, so I'll read Aquaman's series. I've read Green Lantern so far and see no reason to stop. But after that, books are going to need to win me over in September. There are a few that I expect will. A handful I think could surprise me. And then a lot I barely even want to try in the first place.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Blurred View:  
    Outside of the Vertigo family of books I find little appealing in the hero line. There are books here and there like Beetle, Stormwatch, Nightwing,& Static but overall I'm taking this as a chance to prune my DC purchases. I already started when I dropped Batman, Batman and Robin (though I'll definitely be buying the August issue), Green Lantern, Flash (Flashpoint handled that for me), And I'm no floating two Bi monthlies this year. All I have at DC now's Red Robin, Detective, Gates of Gotham, and  Secret Six.
    Blurred View

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Blurred View
    @JonesDeini: Not much of DC's Vertigo/Dark/whatever category of relaunches really grabs me. Honestly, I just don't think DC has the writers, beyond Snyder and Milligan, to pull a group of titles like that off. 

I think this is going to prune down my DC reading on its own. The relaunch is already getting rid of almost all of my favorite DC titles, and I don't know what's going to replace them if anything. Having read Glass' Legion of Doom, I've pretty much lost all optimism for Suicide Squad replacing Secret Six. I don't see anything that's going to replace that.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Blurred View said:
    @JonesDeini: Not much of DC's Vertigo/Dark/whatever category of relaunches really grabs me. Honestly, I just don't think DC has the writers, beyond Snyder and Milligan, to pull a group of titles like that off.  I think this is going to prune down my DC reading on its own. The relaunch is already getting rid of almost all of my favorite DC titles, and I don't know what's going to replace them if anything. Having read Glass' Legion of Doom, I've pretty much lost all optimism for Suicide Squad replacing Secret Six. I don't see anything that's going to replace that.
    I trust Lemire and Cornell to both pull off their respective titles, especially Lemire. I really think my most anticipated book in that line just may be Animal Man. And Lanning/Abnet are the original creators of Resurrection Man. Only reason I'm passing on that is due to Dagnino's art which absolutely irked me during Generation Lost. Totally feel you on Secret Six, how Simone wasn't allowed to carry that superb book into the DCnU is beyond me.   
    Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Rixec

Blue Beetle is one of the must buys in September and all these interviews make me more excited! I'm especially glad that he'll get more rogues and big involvement from the Reach.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Rixec said:
    Blue Beetle is one of the must buys in September and all these interviews make me more excited! I'm especially glad that he'll get more rogues and big involvement from the Reach.  
    Yeah I really like those aspects as well. And Bedard knows how to do cosmic adventuring. I'm really happy that DC's highlighting Jaime. I absolutely grew to love the kid during Generation Lost. Unfortunately I won't be seeing that incarnation of the JLI in September, nor will they be written by Winick, but I can take solace in the fact that Jaime will be in the thick of things!
    Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By Rixec
    @JonesDeini: Here here! And Jaime may appear on the JLI eventually, once he's settled in.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Rixec said:
    @JonesDeini: Here here! And Jaime may appear on the JLI eventually, once he's settled in.
    I REALLY do hope so.
    mcampos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11  Edited By mcampos

Hi guys! 
    I just finished reading the Blue Beetle series of 2006. Suffice it to say, he is now my favorite DC character! I am definitely excited for this new title because the ending to the last one kinda upset me.  I especially like that they plan to keep the details of Jaime the same, because thats what made it great.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @mcampos said:
    Hi guys! I just finished reading the Blue Beetle series of 2006. Suffice it to say, he is now my favorite DC character! I am definitely excited for this new title because the ending to the last one kinda upset me.  I especially like that they plan to keep the details of Jaime the same, because thats what made it great.
    This is exactly how I felt after I read it, this is a must for me come Sep

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.