Follow

Blue Beetle (Reyes)

Character » Blue Beetle (Reyes) appears in 672 issues.

Jaime Reyes was just a regular high school student from El Paso, Texas, until he found the Scarab after Ted Kord lost it. With the Scarab, he has great power and uses that power to protect the innocent as the the third, and current Blue Beetle.

Interview: Tony Bedard Talks Blue Beetle/Green Lantern Corps Crossover & Ted Kord

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided

When the "New 52" hit the DC Universe, some things stayed the same and others changed. With BLUE BEETLE, we're getting a chance to see Jaime Reyes discover the secrets to the suit while juggling high school, friendships along with deadly enemies while trying to be a hero.

If you've been reading the current series, you saw there is a bit of conflict going on and in the first issue we saw a bit of hatred between the Green Lantern Corps and the Reach, the race that the Blue Beetle Scarab originated from.

With a crossover between BLUE BEETLE and GREEN LANTERN CORPS set for April, we asked writer Tony Bedard a few questions on what's coming up in Jaime's life plus what about Ted Kord?

Comic Vine: Let's start off with Paco. For those that read issue #4 & 5, they've seen Paco is going through some big changes compared to pre-New 52. Where did the idea come from to give him a different direction?

Tony Bedard: I took a look at Blue Beetle's world in El Paso, Texas trying to find sources of antagonism for him and things that would affect the life of a 15 year-old. Brenda's aunt La Dama gave us a way to deal with drug cartels and organized crime, but there's also the street-level stuff, like youth gangs, so I made Paco a dropout who joined gang. Maybe I watched too many episodes of The Wire or something, but I'm fascinated by gang culture and the lure of such groups when you're young and trying to prove yourself. And I wanted Paco's character to contrast more strongly with Jaime and Brenda. Whenever possible, you don't want your characters all hitting the same note. These three grew up together but now they are growing apart. It's a classic coming of age moment I think most of us can relate to.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

CV: Now that Paco and Tia knows Jaime's identity, will he be able to keep his identity from Brenda or his parents?

TB: Well, Tia Amparo, a.k.a. La Dama, sort of got taken off the stage last issue when Blue Beetle made her spell backfire and swallow up La Dama, her house and her henchmen. So at least Jaime won't have to worry about the Cartel Queen of El Paso for a little while. As for the threat Paco poses, you really have to check out BLUE BEETLE 6 to learn the answer.

CV: Jaime hasn't really had any contact with The Reach, will that be happening soon?

TB: In BLUE BEETLE #9, Jaime will learn that The Reach are invading the Blue Lanterns (also in GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS #9), which really brings home the scope of their threat. It's part of Jaime slowly coming to understand that his armor intends to end our world. In our first year of stories we've tried to keep the focus on developing Jaime's character, his supporting cast, and his very difficult partnership with that ultimate weapon fused to his spine.

CV: The Reach has a history with the Green Lantern Corps. What can you tell us about when they clash?

TONY: You'll see a very big Lantern/Reach clash in GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS #9 and you'll see Blue Beetle meet Green Lantern Kyle Rayner in BLUE BEETLE #9. It's a mini crossover dealing with the ancient Reach/Lantern feud and setting up an interesting longterm dynamic between Blue Beetle and Green Lantern.

From BLUE BEETLE #1
    From BLUE BEETLE #1

CV: Where do you see Jaime going, if he survives the crossover with the Green Lantern Corps? Would he stick alone or meet up with the Teen Titans as before pre-New 52.

TB: We've been talking about some sort of team affiliation for Jaime, but that's still in the planning stages, and not necessarily with the Teen Titans. Starting with BLUE BEETLE #7 I'm very focused on getting Blue Beetle interacting with the DCU at large. In fact, BLUE BEETLE #7 is the start of a long story arc with Blue Beetle in New York City. I want readers to know that he isn't just the hometown hero of El Paso. Blue Beetle is becoming a major player in the DCU.

No Caption Provided

CV: Everyone keeps asking, will Ted Kord ever be mentioned? With some changes happening with The New 52, we don't know for sure if Max Lord killed him and Dan DiDio has stated that the different "Crisis" haven't happened.

TB: As far as I'm concerned, Ted Kord hasn't been written out of continuity or anything like that. I have no doubt he will show up in the New 52 some day. But for now Jaime is the only Blue Beetle we want to focus on. It's nothing against Ted, it's just the need to establish Jaime on his own merits, not as someone trying to fill in someone else's boots.

Jaime is a terrific character all on his own -- certainly one of the 10 best new DC characters of the last decade -- and we don't want him overshadowed.

Check out our exclusive preview for BLUE BEETLE #6, on sale this week, February 15.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By xerox_kitty

I'm glad that there's still hope for Ted. But I wonder which team Jaime would fit in with if it's not the Titans?

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

At least by this reasoning it means we can see Ted again someday. That I am quite hopeful for. Return back to us Kord, where you belong.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By jsphsmth

The crossover sounds good. I continue kicking myself for dropping the Lantern books.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NightFang3

I prefer Jaime over Ted.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By the_tree

@xerox_kitty said:

I'm glad that there's still hope for Ted. But I wonder which team Jaime would fit in with if it's not the Titans?

I'm hoping JLI, he fit well with those characters in Justice League: Generation Lost.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By xerox_kitty

@The_Tree: Ah, of course! I didn't think of him as a Blue Beetle in the JLI :)

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By ReVamp

@xerox_kitty said:

The Ravagers prove that there's going to be more than one Teen team, not to mention the he'd fit the JLI.

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8  Edited By Ganthetsward20

I just want Ted back I never cared for Jaime :/ the ol blue and gold

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Video_Martian

DC, Please bring back Ted!!!!! I HATE Jaime... -_-

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By 2chimcha3

This should be fun!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By dernman

Usually I hate it when heroes pass on the torch but I like Jamie.  Also although I liked Ted Kord I didn't like him as Blue Beetle. 
    Ted Kord when he comes back should be as a tech supplier for JLI.

Avatar image for bearded_justice
    Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Bearded Justice

there can be only one Blue Beetle... and he does not share power

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By goldenkey

one thing I wanted to see with the 52 revamp was some dead characters back from the dead without an explination. BRING ON DOCTOR LIGHT!!!!

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

If DC want to make my day, they'll do a mini series set in the gap between Action Comics and now with Ted Kord as Blue Beetle. Put Booster in there, reference them working together and have Ted hang up his costume to help people without the mask. Then they can have occasional guest appearances from him in JLI etc. as he's forced back into the super hero business.

Oh and please make it funny. If I have one complaint about comics today, it's that they're all so serious. I don't mean that it's all parody or cheesy, just let Beetle and Booster be Beetle and Booster.

IronHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#15  Edited By IronHerc

Hope for Ted huh? well people will be pleased about that. Also can't wait for Jaime to join a team (Please let it be JLI, i don't want to go and buy another team book because of him....plus he was already a member before and i love that ongoing). Well, despite the facts that blue beetle was completely rebooted in a darker environment it seems the writer finally is going to pull out the real goods with the attack of the reach against the blue lantern corps and the travel to NY

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By Rixec

Blue Beetle just keeps getting better and better! JAIME RAWKSSS!!! Good that Ted is still around; I can see something special in the near future.

And as for hate comments about Jaime...

FALCON PUNCH!!!

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#17  Edited By StarKiller809

Glad to here that Ted is still around and hopefully he will be showing up soon. I really want to read this Blue Beetle series, but I've never had enough money to get some of the second string titles in the New 52. I tried some and kept a few but I didn't try Blue Beetle and I'm kinda regretting it.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#18  Edited By The Impersonator

@sagejonathan said:

This should be fun!

0blivion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 0blivion_

Can't wait for the Crossover!

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By Rixec

@StarKiller809: It's never too late to start.

capfan80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By capfan80

As stupid as I know I sound, I have never really taken to Jaime and I think it is mostly because Ted Kord and Booster Gold were my fave. Still I wish the Blue Beetle well. I still think he is a not as good Iron Man.

capfan80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By capfan80

@Cosmic Sentinel: I agree that comics, both Marvel and DC, don't have enough humor these days. I just open each comic waiting to see which hero will be tortured or killed next. Makes me feel like a drink.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23  Edited By RedOwl_1

@NightFang said:

I prefer Jaime over Ted.

Finally, now we're two who thinks that way

cagedleo730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cagedleo730

I started reading DC by reading Infinite Crisis so Jaime has been my Blue Beetle. Besides getting shot in the head, the only other memory I have of Ted Kord as Blue Beetle is him getting destroyed by Doomsday.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By goldenkey

Blue Beetle is just crap right now. I read a few and it's garbage. I would like to see him on one of the teams. JLI looked like it was going to be good but I don't like it either right now. To bad. The dude from the Real World really did an OUTSTANDING job on the mini-series that was running along side the other mini. The crappy one with all the cool covers. I think it was called Brighest Day.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NightFang3

@RedOwl_1 said:

@NightFang said:

I prefer Jaime over Ted.

Yeah, I don't really get way people like Ted that much when Jaime has become more popular.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27  Edited By RedOwl_1

@NightFang said:

@RedOwl_1 said:

@NightFang said:

I prefer Jaime over Ted.

Yeah, I don't really get way people like Ted that much when Jaime has become more popular.

I like he because was the first on I met by the name Blue Beetle years ago, pretty memories. Also I'm not very related with Ted

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kidchipotle

@RedOwl_1 said:

@NightFang said:

I prefer Jaime over Ted.

BURN >:O

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By zackattack529

hmm...i think ive seen this in a batman: brave and bold episode...but this will be way cooler..batman in space is just...eh to me. lol cant wait to read this crossover itl be my first time picking up a blue beetle title :p

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LordRequiem

The reach vs. the green lantern corps should be an interesting clash.

NeonBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NeonBlade

Agree Jaime isn't just one of the top 10. He's on of the top 5 characters ( heroes ) in DC, he's right there with Bruce.

HULKTEAMUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HULKTEAMUP

I also look foward to the crossover as well, not a blue beetle fan but G.L. I"m throughly invested in. " you can't stop the core"

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#33  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I wish they would take Abnett of Resurrection Man and put him on this, it's a book he could really shine on

red_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By red_titan

of course there was hope for Ted have they really destroyed anyone from continuity since the beginning of new 52 ?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.