durakken's Blue Beetle #2 - Metamorphosis: Part Two review

Bland Beetle

Maybe it's cuz I live in the mid-west, but I've never heard anyone talk the way these people do. I understand they are from spanish descent and speak spanglish, but it just seems like it's being overdone in this book to me. The only thing I have to go off of is the people i know from the area and movies and from those two sources it seems like this writing is just way over blown.

There nothing spectacular about the title. There are a few chuckles, but not many and they almost all come from Khaji-Da and as pointed out in Matt Demers' review Khaji-Da not speaking is more interesting. So in this sense the humor is somewhat of a 1 step forward 2 steps back.

As far as story... this is being split into how many parts? Why? to sell it in the TPB? They could have taken what happened in this issue and put it in a slightly longer... or even just clipped down version of the two issues... first issue which would have been a 4 star first issue. The fact that this is likely to continue into several more parts shows that this writer has no clue as this book ends slightly after where it should of/could of.

It just seems bland overall and unfocused, but I can see how the previous series was considered really so much better than this series... I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for this series, but at least it shows that in the right hands (Not Bedard's) this could be so much better and taken so much higher than it has ever been.