Follow

Bloodshot

Character » Bloodshot appears in 367 issues.

Bloodshot is a former soldier with powers of regeneration, technomancy and meta-morphing made possible through nanites injected into his blood. After escaping from his masters at Project Rising Spirit, Bloodshot seeks to discover his true identity and other purpose besides killing.

Exclusive Interview & Preview: Duane Swierczynski Talks BLOODSHOT

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The characters from Valiant Comics have been making quite the comeback. We're already seeing titles such as X-O MANOWAR, BLOODSHOT, ARCHER AND ARMSTRONG and HARBINGER making strong comebacks and in November SHADOWMAN will debut. Both new and old fans of the characters have been enjoying the new titles and there's plenty more to come from Valiant.

BLOODSHOT #4
    BLOODSHOT #4

Duane Swierczynski is currently writing BLOODSHOT as well as BIRDS OF PREY at DC Comics. We had the chance to talk to Duane about what's coming up in BLOODSHOT as well as get an exclusive preview to the fourth issue, on sale October 10.

Comic Vine: How did you get involved with bringing Bloodshot back to comics?

Duane Swierczynski: Valiant Executive Editor Warren Simons gave me my first break in comics when he was at Marvel, where we worked on an impossibly gory WEREWOLF BY NIGHT mini-series and a few arcs of IMMORTAL IRON FIST. So while I wasn't familiar with Valiant in its heyday (I was in college, and too broke to indulge in weekly comic shop runs), I knew if Warren was involved, the new Valiant was going to be something spectacular. And it is.

CV: The original solicitations for Bloodshot mentioned both Angelo Mortalli and Raymond Garrison. At the end of issue #4, will Bloodshot be any closer to discovering who he really is? And, if not, where will his search for answers take him next?

DS: Bloodshot's quest for his identity is the driving force of this series. You don't think we're going to make it that easy for him, do you?

That said: Bloodshot is a lot closer by the end of #4, because he knows where the secrets are kept -- and he's just figured out a way to get to them. One that involves a lot of bullets, some slight-of-hand, and a little blood. Okay, maybe a lot of blood.

== TEASER ==
    BLOODSHOT #5 variant cover
    BLOODSHOT #5 variant cover

CV: You've given the "goldies" - the nannies in Bloodshot's bloodstream - quite a bit of personality, even going so far as to personify them as hallucinations that speak to him like and look like children. Will this be a reoccurring device in the book? Will they continue to aid Bloodshot on his mission(s)?

DS: This will be a recurring device, but in a very different form, starting in #5. Not to give too much away, but while Bloodshot's trying to figure out his own identity, the nanites are also trying to figure out their function, now that they're "liberated" from Project Rising Spirit programming.

CV: Once free from Project Rising Spirit, what's next? Does he try to find answers to his past, try to be a hero, a mercenary, pizza delivery boy? In other words, what can you tell us about the next arc?

DS: He's going to sell weed door-to-door. His code name: "Bloodshot," because that's how your eyes will look the next morning...

The first arc could be described as a predator drone suddenly waking up, and wondering who he/it was. The second arc is going to be about that predator drone looking for some payback... starting with its creators.

CV: From the looks of the town of Atlee, Nevada in issue #3, Bloodshot isn't Project Rising Spirit's only experiment go awry. As Bloodshot begins trying to take out PRS in the new arc, will anymore of the project's "loose ends" be revealed?

DS: Oh, man. In a HUGE way. I can't say much, but in issue five, pay close attention to... um, the basement.

BLOODSHOT #5
    BLOODSHOT #5

CV: Speaking of which, is there a history behind the name of "Bloodshot" with Project Rising Spirit? Will that be addressed at all?

DS: You'll find the answer to that question in #7.

CV: Bloodshot has been "killed" many, many times in just the few issues of the book so far. Does he feel the pain when he's shot up to hell? And, more importantly, is having an "undying" protagonist a challenge for you as a writer?

DS: Oh yeah. Every bruise, every cut, every bullet strike, every sucking chest wound. Being Bloodshot is not fun.

I don't think Bloodshot is undying; there are many ways to neutralize and/or obliterate him. We're going to see some of those ways in the next few arcs.

CV: Project Rising Spirit has been a mentioned few times by name in Harbinger recently and even appeared as they tried to capture Peter Stanchek. Is this a tie-in that we should see specific relevance in, especially given that the shared universe that both Bloodshot and Harbinger inhabit?

DS:shakes Magic 8-ball Signs point to... Abso-freakin'-lutely.

CV: Now that the Valiant Universe is growing and we're seeing crossovers like Ninjak in X-O Manowar, are there any other as-yet untouched Valiant characters that you'd like to get your hands on?

DS: Yes, and they'll be showing up soon. To say more would be just plain wrong.

CV: On an unrelated note (while I have you here), is the next Charlie Hardie novel, Point & Shoot, still on track for April 2013? Have you thought of adapting those into comics?

DS: Yep. The final draft is in and making its way through to production. If I were to die tomorrow, it would still appear next April 2013. Hell, it would probably sell a lot more...

As for adapting them into comics -- I'd rather tackle something fresh in comics form.

BLOODSHOT #4 is on sale October 10. Check out this exclusive preview for the issue.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By theTimeStreamer

meh

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Adnan

Bloodshot and X-O Manowar have been fun so far. Not really feeling the others, mayb it's just me though. Looking forward to seeing how Shadowman turns out.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    DS: He's going to sell weed door-to-door. His code name: "Bloodshot," because that's how your eyes will look the next morning...

LOL.

Man, I've been loving Bloodshot so far. Duane has been doing a fantastic job and it's great to hear how enthusiastic he is about the character and how much fun he's having with the title.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By SavageDragon

This book is badass. People need to pick it up. If people like the mysterious past,, lone wolf, kill everyone in your way kinda book that is fun but also intriguing they need to check it out. Plus its not Wolverine or Deadpool. Seriously, I picked it up and now its in my pull list and I am super excited for the next issue.

Alton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Alton

@Adnan said:

Bloodshot and X-O Manowar have been fun so far. Not really feeling the others, mayb it's just me though. Looking forward to seeing how Shadowman turns out.

Thanks for at least trying all 4 from their onset.I can't afford to buy all the projected 15-18 titles ,and quite frankly,hope Valiant doesn't overextend themselves,but it drives me crazy that there are people out there still waiting for the second or third launch to jump on board for a single character they remember from 20 yrs. ago.In order for NuValiant to stay afloat they have to sell books now, not 6-12 months from now.I never read Valiant 1,but I'm impressed with all 4 books so far.My favorite is Harbinger because I've always liked psyonic themes in comics and sci-fi.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Adnan

@Alton:Yeah, I won't be following all the titles they plan to roll out either. I plan to cut down my entire monthly pull list to about 6 or 7 titles, I won't be surprised if atleast 1 or 2 of those will be Valiant stuff though. I think a lot of people are judging the titles by cover only, they all are better than I expected imo. I'm surprised more people aren't reading Archer & Armstrong, it's written by the dude who wrote Incredible Hercules which gets a lot of love I think.

Harbinger is pretty interesting, has a bit of an X-Men vibe going on. I think once they finish this "set-up" and the story starts going full-force it'll be really good.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Gosh I so wanna get into this just like other Valiant titles. I've not been able to as yet because of money constraints, but this looks so great!

Alton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Alton

@Adnan said:

@Alton:Yeah, I won't be following all the titles they plan to roll out either. I plan to cut down my entire monthly pull list to about 6 or 7 titles, I won't be surprised if atleast 1 or 2 of those will be Valiant stuff though. I think a lot of people are judging the titles by cover only, they all are better than I expected imo. I'm surprised more people aren't reading Archer & Armstrong, it's written by the dude who wrote Incredible Hercules which gets a lot of love I think.

Harbinger is pretty interesting, has a bit of an X-Men vibe going on. I think once they finish this "set-up" and the story starts going full-force it'll be really good.

I'm looking at the front page list on Comicvine of articles for discussion and above this article Cable and X Farce already has 129 comments and this thread will now have only 8.So it goes I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.