What Do You Think... Should Blink Be A Hero Or Villain?

#1 Edited by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Blink Vs Harvest
It's been a long time since Necrosha ended, and it still irks me they way that Blink was brought back & converted so easily into a murdering minion of Selene.  Part of me understands why she was turned into a villain; so she would stand out in contrast to her more established & heroic Age of Apocalypse/Exiles counterpart.  While I did enjoy the Age of Apocalypse, for over a decade I have wanted to see the return of the girl who should have been in Generation X.  However, when she did return it was as a murderer.  It seemed at complete odds with the girl who sacrificed herself to save a group of strangers from the Phalanx.    

Prisoners Of The Phalanx
Over 10 years ago, she made made her first appearance as a kidnapped young mutant along with M, Skin & Husk.  Unlike the others who kept a brave face, Blink was petrified of the Phalanx.  It transpired that hers was the only mutant power that had any effect on the Phalanx.  However, because she was unpractised with her powers they raged out of control and so she 'died' from using her own teleportation powers.  Even back then I didn't believe that she was truly dead (even despite the awful issue of What If...? that suggested the world would come to an end if she's lived).  After all her power to teleport would have taken her somewhere else, so it would be a case of locating that somewhere & retrieving her.

Selene, The Unlikely Saviour
Then during Necrosha it was revealed that Selene knew the location where Blink had vanished.  Selene literally managed to pull Blink out of think air.  She then fed Blink a few weak lies about how Emma Frost had always known that Blink was trapped in eternal pain & encouraged her to use her teleportation to kill people.  With Selene's encouragement, Blink started small by killing random strangers in their own home.  By the time Selene made her move, Blink confidently used her powers offensively to destroy Archangel's wings and even severed Vanisher's arm by teleporting it off his body.  Even within Selene's Inner Circle, she didn't trust anyone and so readily tattled on Eli Bard to Selene like a prison snitch.  Her only friend was Mortis who she later saved in the dying events of the story. 

The brief explanation why she changed was so short that I'm left unsatisfied with her transformation from 'potential X-Man' to 'slave of the Black Queen'.  Perhaps it's because of 10 years dreaming up ideas of how to bring her back.  Whatever it is, I would have preferred to see her restored as a hero in training.  While the X-Men have a history of taking in former villains, I doubt that they would take her back after what she did to Archangel & the Vanisher. 

So what does everyone else think?  Would you rather see Earth-616 Blink as a hero... or as a villain?
#2 Posted by Risky (12629 posts) - - Show Bio

For me she works infinitely better as a hero than a villain. Somehow I didn't buy the evil, masochistic, bloodthirsty Killer-Blink.

#3 Posted by longbowhunter (7749 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated evil Blink in Necrosha. Sweet, optimistic Blink from AOA is the character I wanna see.
#4 Posted by CATMANEXE--defunct (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

If i could have it 100% my way, Blink 616 becomes more confused and evil, and AoA Blink finally
joins 616 and the two have an epic outing, which ends with AoA Blink getting through to 616 Blink,
and 616 Blink sacrificing herself as a hero, again, and AoA remains in 616 in her place.

#5 Posted by xybernauts (853 posts) - - Show Bio

Hero

#6 Posted by superduper13 (64 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she should be neutral. Because she went through Necrosha, we know she doesn't mind ruthless killing, but also she was a sweet seeming kindhearted mutant who met an untimely "death." she could be an ally of the x-men, like cloak and dagger or deadpool, but also not a textbook definition of "hero." 

that's what i'd like to see happen to her.

#7 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE said:

" If i could have it 100% my way, Blink 616 becomes more confused and evil, and AoA Blink finally joins 616 and the two have an epic outing, which ends with AoA Blink getting through to 616 Blink, and 616 Blink sacrificing herself as a hero, again, and AoA remains in 616 in her place. "

Wow, pretty dramatic!  I wouldn't want to see her sacrificed again or replaced by the AoA Blink...  But that would still beat her new evil demeanour. 

@superduper13 said:

"I think she should be neutral. Because she went through Necrosha, we know she doesn't mind ruthless killing, but also she was a sweet seeming kindhearted mutant who met an untimely "death." she could be an ally of the x-men, like cloak and dagger or deadpool, but also not a textbook definition of "hero."  that's what i'd like to see happen to her. "

Neutral or ally would be good.  However, I can't see the X-Men trusting her any time soon (even though so MANY of their roster were former villains ;) 
#8 Posted by RLAAMJR (2481 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say she should be a hero. We love her because she was a hero.

#9 Posted by SC (13404 posts) - - Show Bio

Antagonist to the X-Men. Not outright, but she should still have a bitter attitude towards them. Could make for interesting stories as well as giving her a unique role to play in the future. 

#10 Posted by Edamame (28401 posts) - - Show Bio

I would prefer her to be an anti-hero.

#11 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame said:
" I would prefer her to be an anti-hero. "
Similar to Deadpool... but less chatty?
#12 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15040 posts) - - Show Bio

She should be a Namor =]

#13 Posted by GREGalicious (492 posts) - - Show Bio

Im NOT liking this villain crap for her at all!!! I wouldve just rather they brought the AOA Blink over to the mainstream universe. If this is what theyre gonna do with the 616 Blink, then they shouldve just left her DEAD...

#14 Posted by SC (13404 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @Edamame said:
" I would prefer her to be an anti-hero. "
Similar to Deadpool... but less chatty? "

As much as people get annoyed by his overexposure, I would really like to see a 616 Blink and Deadpool team up now. Maybe she could remind him of how badass crazy he used to be, instead of just badass funny.  

Ooh, and I wonder depending on the mechanics she could end up leading her own Exiles team, under the notion, whoever selected her has seen how well an alt reality version of her as done, and then we could have another, another Deadpool on her team. In any case stoic quite badass's interact quite well with chatty badasses. 
#15 Posted by SC (13404 posts) - - Show Bio
@GREGalicious said:
"

Im NOT liking this villain crap for her at all!!! I wouldve just rather they brought the AOA Blink over to the mainstream universe. If this is what theyre gonna do with the 616 Blink, then they shouldve just left her DEAD...

"
Honestly, I see couldn't really see her as a villain. She was manipulated cold. I can therefore see her redeemed rather easily, maybe just bearing a reluctant grudge. I am surprised that no X-Men character had really commented on it either. Wondered why and all that.
#16 Posted by MichonneHack27 (185 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm I'm not sure. For the sake of the Necrosha storyline, I loved her as a villian. But in all truth, I don't think she'll stay one for long. Selene is gone, there's no real proof that Emma had abandoned her. True, I wouldn't put it past her. Emma can be cold and cruel to anyone, if she feels its justified. Look at how she first treated X-23, she practically tried to mentally scar her into leaving the manison. But in her mind, the actions justified the means. 

So perhaps Emma did hear her calls, but ignored them. Or perhaps well, given how X-men have had one big disaster after the  next. Doesn't exactly leave time to go search for Clairce. I'm hoping Clair will start questioning what she had been manipulated into believing by Selene. And confront Emma. And with those questions answers, perhaps she'll understand that she's not meant to be evil like Selene wanted her to be.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.