Should Blade Have More Powers?

• 65 results
#1 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio

After seeing Blade turn into a giant bat in Uncanny Avengers it got me wondering, what other powers do you think Blade should have? Currently mostly he just has heightened physicals, immortality and blood sucking but I always thought there should be more to it than that so I'm happy he may be getting an upgrade. Powers I would like to see Blade have are:

• Turning into a Bat
  • Turn to Mist
  • Mesmerism
  • Darkforce Manipulation
#2 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: I like the idea of him turning to mist

In ultimate he was also able to use hypnosis so that would be cool too

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: Dude I was totally thinking the same thing the other day. If I could write a Blade story it would expand on his origin and tell what it was like for him growing up as a half feral vampire on the streets 1930s London, him joining the Bloodshadows gang and then him finding out how his mother died and being trained by Afari and going to war with the Bloodshadows and all vampires. I'd also like to see him travel around a bit, like see him hunting in the middle east and africa.

#7 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: Dude I was totally thinking the same thing the other day. If I could write a Blade story it would expand on his origin and tell what it was like for him growing up as a half feral vampire on the streets 1930s London, him joining the Bloodshadows gang and then him finding out how his mother died and being trained by Afari and going to war with the Bloodshadows and all vampires. I'd also like to see him travel around a bit, like see him hunting in the middle east and africa.

Dude that''s great!!! If you wanna write it i'd read it lol

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Dude that''s great!!! If you wanna write it i'd read it lol

I might just do that lol

#9 Posted by Oscuro (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

My Blade (as in the one I write for my own enjoyment) has all those powers except transforming into a bat and darkforce manipulation. Imo he should gain them soon since he is approaching 100 years of age. Vampires are supposed to get stronger as they age so I feel he should have a boost in his physical stats as well. Nothing too absurd, Im not saying he should become Superman or anything just a boost.

#10 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscuro said:

My Blade (as in the one I write for my own enjoyment) has all those powers except transforming into a bat and darkforce manipulation. Imo he should gain them soon since he is approaching 100 years of age. Vampires are supposed to get stronger as they age so I feel he should have a boost in his physical stats as well. Nothing too absurd, Im not saying he should become Superman or anything just a boost.

And your Blade is also very well written

#11 Posted by Oscuro (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks. That means a lot coming from a true comic fan

#12 Posted by Cloakx14 (3987 posts) - - Show Bio

the more the better.

#13 Posted by Oscuro (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscuro said:

If I ever get my stupid laptop up and running I can finish my stories

#14 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscuro said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@oscuro said:

If I ever get my stupid laptop up and running I can finish my stories

lol

#15 Posted by Dhampyre (11 posts) - - Show Bio

After seeing Blade turn into a giant bat in Uncanny Avengers it got me wondering, what other powers do you think Blade should have? Currently mostly he just has heightened physicals, immortality and blood sucking but I always thought there should be more to it than that so I'm happy he may be getting an upgrade. Powers I would like to see Blade have are:

• Turning into a Bat
  • Turn to Mist
  • Mesmerism
  • Darkforce Manipulation

I agree and Blade seems to have a profound understanding of the supernatural, so I would like to see him explore more about vampires and the occult side of the marvel universe. Especially the Darkhold and the followers of the Dakhold.

Mighty Avengers seems to be going in that direction so we will need to wait and see.

#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio

@dhampyre said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

• Turning into a Bat
  • Turn to Mist
  • Mesmerism
  • Darkforce Manipulation

I agree and Blade seems to have a profound understanding of the supernatural, so I would like to see him explore more about vampires and the occult side of the marvel universe. Especially the Darkhold and the followers of the Dakhold.

Mighty Avengers seems to be going in that direction so we will need to wait and see.

There is also the upcoming Avengers of the Supernatural

#17 Posted by Dhampyre (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@dhampyre said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

• Turning into a Bat
  • Turn to Mist
  • Mesmerism
  • Darkforce Manipulation

There is also the upcoming Avengers of the Supernatural

True... Should be interesting to see where they go with it.

#18 Edited by BlackWind (7219 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscuro: @daredevil21134: The hypnotism and turning into mist are just fine. Hell, turning intangible will make him nearly haxx. But any sort of energy powers just do not fit the style of the character. And I have always thought turning into a bat was stupid. I don't care if vampires have been able to do it since the dawn of time, it just is not cool to me.

Most people don't really know about it because they may not be dedicated fans of the character but Blade has more than respectable strength, and ridiculously high durability for a street level character. Whether by just being hard or healing factor, anyone who gets up after plane crashes and building exploding on them is not getting put down by low level scrubs.

Blade may just be taking longer to gain these powers because he is half vampire.

#19 Edited by Twix_Right_Side (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

He turned into a bat?

@blackwind Holy crap! He's had all of that happen to him?

Guess that means that he's borderline street leveler,or at least high high tier.

#20 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscuro: @daredevil21134: The hypnotism and turning into mist are just fine. Hell, turning intangible will make him nearly haxx. But any sort of energy powers just do not fit the style of the character. And I have always thought turning into a bat was stupid. I don't care if vampires have been able to do it since the dawn of time, it just is not cool to me.

Most people don't really know about it because they may not be dedicated fans of the character but Blade has more than respectable strength, and ridiculously high durability for a street level character. Whether by just being hard or healing factor, anyone who gets up after plane crashes and building exploding on them is not getting put down by low level scrubs.

Blade may just be taking longer to gain these powers because he is half vampire.

I like the way you think

#21 Edited by BlackWind (7219 posts) - - Show Bio

@twix_right_side: Yep. He has crashed into the SHIELD Hellicarrier and just said "What a ride."Not to mention he iintentionally blew a building up just to hit a villain. He survived the explosion. And get this. An energy blast meant to knock Captain Britain to the borders of his country hit Blade too, and he got up and walked away. Granted, Blade was blown a good distance from the right. But those showings just prove his durability is ridiculously high for a street level character.

#22 Edited by Dhampyre (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@twix_right_side:

I wouldn't class him as a street leveller as he usually deals with things that are beyond street level and in a niche of their own (vampire cults, possession, magical conspiracies, demonic realms and things that go bump in the night). And... taking on a legion of vampires by himself is more than most other super heroes can do, even with a stronger power set.

@blackwind:

Yeah I agree. I also think his durability, awareness and resistance to vampires and demons is what makes him able to do what he does. For example when he shown himself to be resistant to the influence of supernatural elements, such as hell fire, (which should have either possessed him or made him go all demonic):

#23 Posted by Oscuro (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with Blackwind that turning into a bat is kind of corny. Unless it is a visually cool one and that still might not be enough. Those durability feats show that the mofo can take some punishment. Hopefully he will have more feats added since even though he has some nice ones, he has nowhere near enough compared to other characters. And its even worse that characters without powers have more strength and speed feats than he does.

#24 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: Well when I say darkforce manipulation I really mean shadowmelding so he can hide and appear out of shadows at will

#25 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: Well when I say darkforce manipulation I really mean shadowmelding so he can hide and appear out of shadows at will

I like the bat idea

#26 Edited by phantom1527 (419 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: Not a fan of the bat idea. I'd just like to see him get his physical abilities increased or at least more consistently portrayed. He out-muscled an enhanced (via vampirism) spiderman, kills Dracula (who defeated the ENTIRE X-MEN) all the time, yet gets bested by people like Gambit. He's an old vampire who has a lot of combat experience so I'd be happy to see him constantly pull of feats that reflect some of his highlights (i.e. maybe be a 10-20 toner like spiderman who has super speed and a healing factor). Idk why but it upset me to see Blade get embarrassed by Gambit. I understand why people like Captain America have ridiculous feats for someone without superpowers, but Gambit isn't at that level of popularity. He's definitely not more popular than Blade.

#27 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: Not a fan of the bat idea. I'd just like to see him get his physical abilities increased or at least more consistently portrayed. He out-muscled an enhanced (via vampirism) spiderman, kills Dracula (who defeated the ENTIRE X-MEN) all the time, yet gets bested by people like Gambit. He's an old vampire who has a lot of combat experience so I'd be happy to see him constantly pull of feats that reflect some of his highlights (i.e. maybe be a 10-20 toner like spiderman who has super speed and a healing factor). Idk why but it upset me to see Blade get embarrassed by Gambit. I understand why people like Captain America have ridiculous feats for someone without superpowers, but Gambit isn't at that level of popularity. He's definitely not more popular than Blade.

I don't mind it as long as it's not something he uses all the time

#28 Posted by phantom1527 (419 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: What do you mean?

I don't mind him turning into a bat as long as it's not something he does regularly

#30 Posted by BlackWind (7219 posts) - - Show Bio

@phantom1527: @jonny_anonymous: My stance remains the same.

I feel even turning into mist if need frequently enough will be borderline haxx.

Also, Blade should be class 10 at max. Most vampires are not even that strong. Also the fight with Gambit happened while Blade was still fully human. Remember that Captain America vs Gambit fight? One with current Blade would go roughly like that too.

#31 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio

@phantom1527: @blackwind: @daredevil21134: I'd like to see his sword fighting get an upgrade, he should b one of the best sword fighters in the MU, that's what I liked about the anime.

#32 Posted by phantom1527 (419 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Yeah the sword style things he did in the anime was pretty cool

#33 Posted by phantom1527 (419 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: I'd be fine with class 10 as long as they don't show him getting his butt whooped by people who aren't even that strong. Blade has superhuman strength, superhuman speed, a great healing factor, he's a weapons master, a master swordsman and a great martial artist. I wish writers showed him utilizing these skills/feats in fights that don't just involve vampires. It gets stale. I do like the dark manipulation idea though that'd be pretty cool

#34 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio

@phantom1527: It would be cool to see him using his sword fighting in conjunction with mesmerize in the comics

#35 Posted by Oscuro (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Agreed. I feel he should be the premier swordsman in Marvel but admittedly my opinion is biased lol

#36 Edited by BlackWind (7219 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: @phantom1527: @jonny_anonymous: @oscuro: The Blade anime has made me think he should be nothing less than a top tier swordsman. His freaking name is Blade! He uses edged weapons in almost every confrontation!

C'mon Marvel!

BTW, what martial arts would you guys say Blade would use? He is confirmed by Guggenheim's run to know Krav Maga when he took down some doombots.

#37 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: According to wiki:

Blade is a master martial artist mastering styles like Capoeira, Hapkido, Jujutsu, Shotokan Karate, Kung Fu, and Ninjutsu. He is also a swordsman, marksman and street-fighter. He is adept in the usage of throwing knives. He is highly knowledgeable about vampire lore as well as the supernatural.

#38 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: @phantom1527: @jonny_anonymous: @oscuro: The Blade anime has made me think he should be nothing less than a top tier swordsman. His freaking name is Blade! He uses edged weapons in almost every confrontation!

C'mon Marvel!

BTW, what martial arts would you guys say Blade would use? He is confirmed by Guggenheim's run to know Krav Maga when he took down some doombots.

I loved how they showed his training in the anime

#39 Edited by BlackWind (7219 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Could have sworn those are what Wesley Snipes knows. I saw some very clear Capoeira when he kicked Nomak and Drake across the rooms they were in. And he used quite a few joint locks that looked like Hapkido throughout then films too.

#40 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: Well it was in the comics section rather than the movie but I have no idea

#41 Posted by Dhampyre (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind

You're correct... Blades current fighting style was directly inspired by Wesley's adaptation of him. Wesley spoke in-depth about it in an interview, stating that Blade uses whatever he finds effective to take down blood suckers.

To be honest I like the idea that he has his own style that blends the most practical parts of different martial arts and fighting systems, Which is similar to what inspired fighting styles like Krav Maga and Hapkido which are employed by the military for real life situations. The origins of his swordsmanship in the anime was great and I thought it made him a more legitimate swordsman because he actually trained and honed his skills rather than just randomly hacking at his enemy.

#42 Edited by BlackWind (7219 posts) - - Show Bio

@dhampyre: I think that relates to any fictional fighter who buses a blend of styles to their own personal preference.

#43 Posted by phantom1527 (419 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: @daredevil21134: @jonny_anonymous: @oscuro: Do you guys think Blade's weapons should get new/upgraded weapons or armor? Obviously the the sword, stakes and glaive are staples, but do you guys think he should also carry around maybe more advanced tech weapons? I understand his name is "Blade", but I never quite understood why he uses regular guns so often even though Vampires have been shown to dodge bullets.

#44 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: @daredevil21134: @jonny_anonymous: @oscuro: Do you guys think Blade's weapons should get new/upgraded weapons or armor? Obviously the the sword, stakes and glaive are staples, but do you guys think he should also carry around maybe more advanced tech weapons? I understand his name is "Blade", but I never quite understood why he uses regular guns so often even though Vampires have been shown to dodge bullets.

I think he should.This thread has some great ideas for Blade

#45 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio

@phantom1527: Well I wouldn't like it if he started carrying laser guns and stuff

#46 Posted by phantom1527 (419 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: I'm not saying that, but just something new. I think the exploding silver stake idea in the video game Marvel Ultimate Alliance would even be cool. I'm not saying make him Iron Man, but I think Blade should be packing a little bit more firepower to accompany his powers.

#47 Posted by BlackWind (7219 posts) - - Show Bio

@phantom1527: It could be an accuracy thing.

I think most people do not remember that Blade is a ridiculously good marksman. Bullseye has tagged superhumans lot s of times with just the junk in his pocket because he is simply that damn good.

UV laser guns? Hnm...I will not lie I do not dislike the concept. But maybe it sounds a bit too easy?

#48 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: UV and phosphorus grenades I'm cool with but not guns. I still like the idea of him using silver bullets in blessed or sanctified guns.

#49 Edited by Oscuro (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

@phantom1527: @jonny_anonymous: @blackwind: @daredevil21134:

I mentioned this in the official thread that i think Blade should have some high tech goodies that he "borrowed" from SHIELD and MI 13. These weapons wouldn't be part of his typical arsenal, but rather stuff to break out when sh-t gets real.

#50 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.